COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

2 hours ago, Muy Frio said:

Holistic veterinary medicine 

Our family horse is rejecting our mindfulness lifestyle.  What do you recommend?  Been playing "The Secret" audio book at the stables.  But also have a shotgun.

Edited by Lobo

Stage 5 for Austin and surrounding counties. 9 ICU beds across the 11 counties. 

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/thousands-expected-at-q2-stadium-as-austin-travis-county-hits-stage-5-threshold/

DSHS data indicates as of Saturday, there were only nine available ICU beds available in TSA Region O, which includes Bastrop, Blanco, Burnet, Caldwell, Fayette, Hays, Lee, Llano, San Saba, Travis and Williamson Counties.

• Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Ugh yeah this. I know someone that works at an Urgent Care in Houston and she says this is the most positive test results she has seen since the pandemic started. I’m sure a lot of people have it stuck in their heads this wave won’t be as bad because half the people or so are vaccinated but this shit is obviously spreading through the vaccinated as well. And we know deaths lag and while I hope they stay low we won’t fully know for weeks. And this wave doesn’t seem to be discriminating against kids this time, so shit might come to a head when school starts.

It kind of makes sense though? In some viruses like measles (highly contagious) the population needs to be at a very high percentage for inoculations; 95-97% if I recall. Since a vaccine isn’t going to stop a virus as much as provide some resistance, wouldn’t it keep spreading with the lower vax rates in the US, especially with a variant? Accounting for the under 12 set, it seems like it will go around a community quite easily with few other mitigation measures in place. 

It’s going to suck for parents; I have been continuing to mask and distance because that has got to be a nightmare for those with younger  children.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Cross posted

Had a reservation  for tomorrow at 630 at Tortugas. They just called me. They are closing their entire restaurant for a week because “2/3rds of their staff has COVID.”

Nope.  Don’t like this.  Just got back from Port A today.  FML.  

My wife does CrossFit (no pics), and has been watching the Crossfit games (scheduled opposite the Olympics), and damn they are being proactive/serious as fuck about covid (and have had some high-profile folks who had to drop out).

And plenty have had to be dropped from the Olympics.

I think people are just tuning out all of this stuff.

6 deaths in Travis County for the week ending 7/30. This isn't out of bounds as since May 1st Travis County has averaged a hair below 5 but we had seen a couple of nice low weeks before this one.

They took a death out of the 40 to 49 group so I am not sure if that was a data entry error from earlier so the numbers I show you below will total 7 but due to that reassignment/removal we net to 6

30 to 39 (1)

50 to 59 (1)

60 to 69 (2)

70 to 79 (2)

80+ (1)

Deaths still as they have pandemic to date skewing older.

Hmm… my first born is due at the beginning of October, so I went over to my brothers today (I’m in Houston, he’s Katy - this will be relevant later…) drove out there today to give my nephew a bday gift and had to talk to my bro. Our pediatrician and doctor (and other pregnant friends are saying the same) have said anyone spending time around the baby needs to be vaxxed or wearing masks, but my wife and I would rather everyone just be vaxxed id they’re adults. My brother shuts it down immediately and says I woke make my kids or kids in law wear a mask. 

He’s a super well read guy and very smart, but has some blind spots. How the heck have other people overcome this? I’m going to make sure he’s vaxxed to come over but he won’t be and I’ll have to figure out how to deal with that. 

9 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

He stays away and you don’t give in. He’ll eventually have to decide if his brother or his hard headedness is more important to him.

Right… hard part is that my wife and I swap holidays so we have thanksgiving my parents this year with since my bro and his kids are with him. My parents have a back house that they and their kids will stay in while we’re in a separate cottage, but there’s too much overlap in the main house where we won’t go if they’re there. To top it off my sister in law is an ex paramedic, so even as a “health professional” she’s against the vaccine too. My parents are both vaxxed as they are going abroad in a few weeks but unless my brother comes to reasonable senses we’re spending both holidays with my in laws. 

Id love for him and his five boys to meet their new nephew over the holidays but fuck all that if he’s going to be that selfish/hard headed about this shit. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I think that all sounded kinda douchey but bottom line when I told him the deal and said “this isn’t that big of an ask..”. He made me feel like I was asking for a vial of blood from his first born or something. The dude is way too smart but I guess loves his far right talking points and can’t be included in the propaganda machine. 

I think the hard part was being at my cousins house earlier without him and when he came up in conversation my cousin said he was crazy and I couldn’t really deny it. He did go to aggy after all…

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Well, just anecdotal as per usual but I now know a bunch of vaxxed people that have it. Nobody is very sick though so that’s good, but I am guessing the vaccine is nowhere near the 95% effectiveness threshold that it was before delta. More ammo for the anti-vax people who will also continue to ignore the fact that it’s still really good at keeping you out of the hospital or dying. Can this please be our last round of this shit?

Edited by justhookit

Also I posted this on the vaccine thread. Numbers aren’t updated which is why they don’t add up but it seems like it really doesn’t matter which vaccine you had. Nueces county gave more Moderna shots. Really wish they would give a time frame but it’s a start to better data

Vaccine Breakthrough Cases in Nueces County
(217 cases)
• # hospitalized – 25
• #deaths–4
Vaccine Status: Moderna 78
Pfizer 57 J&J 30 Unknown 01
Time Infected: 25 to 54 days after last vaccine

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

He stays away and you don’t give in. He’ll eventually have to decide if his brother or his hard headedness is more important to him.

If i knew that would keep some of my family away, I'd make sure they thought I was unvaxxed.

FTR, I am vaccinated, but there's another desired result in this equation.

6 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Right… hard part is that my wife and I swap holidays so we have thanksgiving my parents this year with since my bro and his kids are with him. My parents have a back house that they and their kids will stay in while we’re in a separate cottage, but there’s too much overlap in the main house where we won’t go if they’re there. To top it off my sister in law is an ex paramedic, so even as a “health professional” she’s against the vaccine too. My parents are both vaxxed as they are going abroad in a few weeks but unless my brother comes to reasonable senses we’re spending both holidays with my in laws. 

Id love for him and his five boys to meet their new nephew over the holidays but fuck all that if he’s going to be that selfish/hard headed about this shit. 

Stay fast with what the pediatrician said. My parents are older and they told us that we couldn't visit until the kids were vaccinated (this was about 3 months ago so before the latest outbreak and before most kids were vaccinated). It wasn't a big deal because I thought the youngest should be vaccinated anyway. My wife had some doubts and my son was fighting it. It basically just gave me ammunition to overcome their objections.

For you, there is no reason to put your life in jeopardy, your family's life in jeopardy or your parent's lives in jeopardy. It is very straightforward even if he is the older brother. Just put your foot down and tell him how it is. If he doesn't like it, he can pound sand.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, justhookit said:

Well, just anecdotal as per usual but I now know a bunch of vaxxed people that have it. Nobody is very sick though so that’s good, but I am guessing the vaccine is nowhere near the 95% effectiveness threshold that it was before delta. More ammo for the anti-vax people who will also continue to ignore the fact that it’s still really good at keeping you out of the hospital or dying. Can this please be our last round of this shit?

That ain't happening. I had my doubts about targeting a single portion of a variable gene. I hoped that it couldn't mutate and still enter the cell but I kind of figured this would be the outcome. What annoys me is that these second generation vaccines don't address my concerns. So, I think we are looking a long way down the road for an effective vaccine. And short-term boosters may help keep the virus from killing people but based on the number of vaccinated people catching the virus, I think over time new strains will develop that make the vaccine less effective.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

7 hours ago, justhookit said:

Also I posted this on the vaccine thread. Numbers aren’t updated which is why they don’t add up but it seems like it really doesn’t matter which vaccine you had. Nueces county gave more Moderna shots. Really wish they would give a time frame but it’s a start to better data

Vaccine Breakthrough Cases in Nueces County
(217 cases)
• # hospitalized – 25
• #deaths–4
Vaccine Status: Moderna 78
Pfizer 57 J&J 30 Unknown 01
Time Infected: 25 to 54 days after last vaccine

Just under 2% death rate for breakthrough infections? Damn. Small sample size but was hoping for a smaller number. That number is on par (1.8%) for regular covid death rate… which I guess may be good considering Delta? Lotta questions

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

That ain't happening. I had my doubts about targeting a single portion of a variable gene. I hoped that it couldn't mutate and still enter the cell but I kind of figured this would be the outcome. What annoys me is that these second generation vaccines don't address my concerns. So, I think we are looking a long way down the road for an effective vaccine. And short-term boosters may help keep the virus from killing people but based on the number of vaccinated people catching the virus, I think over time new strains will develop that make the vaccine less effective.

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Just under 2% death rate for breakthrough infections? Damn. Small sample size but was hoping for a smaller number. That number is on par (1.8%) for regular covid death rate… which I guess may be good considering Delta? Lotta questions

I’m spitballing here, but I think that case number is WAY low so it’s probably not nearly as bad as it looks. A ton of people have it and either aren’t getting tested or don’t even realize they have it. We are going to find out that the vaccine efficacy is closer to 60Ish% for Delta in a few weeks. To my untrained eye it’s looking like the vaccine is working really well preventing death and hospitalization.

• Hook 'Em 2

Meant to add that I watched the YouTube video that accompanied the numbers in my previous post and the Nueces county official stated that over 95% of our hospitalizations were unvaxxed. @GreenspointTexas @Bevo
since we are around 60% vaxxed for our total population that’s really, really good obviously.

Edited by justhookit

29 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Meant to add that I watched the YouTube video that accompanied the numbers in my previous post and the Nueces county official stated that over 95% of our hospitalizations were unvaxxed. @GreenspointTexas @Bevo
since we are around 60% vaxxed for our total population that’s really, really good obviously.

Solid. Will be in Port A in about 5 hrs so this is good news

• Like 1

Link from a few days ago if anyone is interested but I’m pretty sure I pulled the only meaningful data. Hopefully they will start updating regularly again. The last one was 2 months ago. They used to do it twice a week. Everyone got caught with their pants down on this.

https://www.cctexas.com/detail/covid-19-update

1 hour ago, justhookit said:

I’m spitballing here, but I think that case number is WAY low so it’s probably not nearly as bad as it looks. A ton of people have it and either aren’t getting tested or don’t even realize they have it. We are going to find out that the vaccine efficacy is closer to 60Ish% for Delta in a few weeks. To my untrained eye it’s looking like the vaccine is working really well preventing death and hospitalization.

Hopefully, that is the case. Because, catching the virus without having severe symptoms should provide better immunity against future infections.

12 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

I think that all sounded kinda douchey but bottom line when I told him the deal and said “this isn’t that big of an ask..”. He made me feel like I was asking for a vial of blood from his first born or something.

Don't cave.  I've got plenty of relatives like this, and you'd think we were asking them to wear a mask for another 5-6 hours after they've been masked up working some shitty, physically demanding minimum-wage job for 12 hours.

Fucking douchebags don't wear masks anywhere, they can wear one for a small amount of time if family is important.

You're not douchey - this reflects on them, not you.

For some people, wearing a mask acknowledges to the world that they realize this is a serious fucking thing, and they don't want to acknowledge that for whatever reason (for some it scares them, others just want to play the asshole).

Eventually he or a close relative will have an encounter that will change his mind about all of this.

Edited by atomheartbevo

12 hours ago, justhookit said:

It was never claimed to be 95% effective against infection. That is what many people heard even though moderna and Pfizer never claimed it. In the clinical trials, they only tested people with symptoms. They didn’t test 100% of the people in the trials.  Therefore there were people, who caught covid but were asymptomatic, so they were counted on the group that weren’t “ill.”

I supposedly got a breakthrough infection (Pfizer. Last shot in May). Only symptom was slight cough. Work had everyone who attended our last conference take a test. This is my 4th test to take since last year and I’ve been positive for 3 out of 4 so not sure I trust the rapid test that much.

Symptoms (cough) lasted 4 days. I never had a fever or anything else. Thankfully the rest of the family has yet to develop anything. They are 8 days in now from when I was possibly symptomatic with a cough. 

edit: I should add this is the first time taking a test with an actual symptom. Other times I was tested to visit my grandmother in a nursing home. I had to push that visit back 2 months because of positive tests. 

Edited by Telegraph_it
  • Hook 'Em 2

38 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

. . . .  I’ve been positive for 3 out of 4 so not sure I trust the rapid test that much.

. . . .

When my son tested positive late last year with almost no symptoms other than a slight headache, we asked about false positives and were told that (1) rapid testing has improved a lot over the course of all of this and (2) false positives (as opposed to false negatives) are pretty rare.

Glad your symptoms are mild.

Edited by dcbc

https://www.kristv.com/news/local-news/nueces-co-judge-announces-nursing-shortage-limiting-hospital-capacity

Nueces County Judge Barbara Canales is asking nurses in the area for help in the Coastal Bend's time of need, as a nursing shortage is limiting hospital bed capacity as COVID-19 cases continue to rise due to the delta variant.

In a release, Canales said that every staffed hospital bed in the Coastal Bend is full and can no longer accept patients.

She has reached out to state officials at Texas Division of Emergency Management and the Department of State Health Services asking for assistance, but in the meantime, she's hoping nurses "who are able and not currently working can step up and contact our hospitals to help out".

"Many nurses left the workforce during the pandemic, some due to the workload, and others due to providers which went out of business due to COVID... We truly need your help – our community is facing an enormous challenge, and nurses have ALWAYS risen to the challenge."

If you are a nurse who would like to help, you can call 859-396-8204.

To do my part, I'm back to masking up and limiting restaurant dining to outdoors.  But from my general observations being out and about in Austin this past weekend, it doesn't seem like much has changed with the move to Stage Five.  Let's hope we hit the peak soon and the subsequent downward movement is steeper than the aggy roller coaster. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

To do my part, I'm back to masking up and limiting restaurant dining to outdoors.  But from my general observations being out and about in Austin this past weekend, it doesn't seem like much has changed with the move to Stage Five.  Let's hope we hit the peak soon and the subsequent downward movement is steeper than the aggy roller coaster. 

I have noticed more masking, but not at the level I would have thought.  Disappointing to say the least.  7 ICU beds left is terrifying, people w/o COVID are going to die because they can't get a bed.

16 hours ago, dcbc said:

When my son tested positive late last year with almost no symptoms other than a slight headache, we asked about false positives and were told that (1) rapid testing has improved a lot over the course of all of this and (2) false positives (as opposed to false negatives) are pretty rare.

Glad your symptoms are mild.

That is what I heard too so I probably had it. At this point just glad to be vaccinated and as far as I can tell I did not spread any virus to anyone else. 

• Hook 'Em 1