COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

9 hours ago, whithou said:

Yep, it's wild here at my Houston ICU as well.

Northern Cen Tex here and exactly the same. Lots of rural ED’s and rural ICUs holding direct admits on vents for all kinds of illnesses. You have rural family docs that haven’t run a ventilator in years having to keep patients alive while they scramble to find a bed somewhere. Somebody had a contact and was able to ship out a patient to New Mexico just yesterday.

And somehow we haven’t converted over post surgical and trauma units for any Covid patients which are also filling up our own emergency department with bed holds. Probably a staffing issue. It’s like everyone outside of the hospital and health systems have collectively shrugged their shoulders. No field hospitals, no National Guard, no extra funds. Just a lot of dying young Covid patients with collateral damage to those who normally would have been seen in the hospital for other chronic conditions. Bravo America!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

2 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

There were 38 deaths the week ending 8/15 in 2020 (closest week to this one in data set) so while a much higher week than recent months, still far lower than last year as Covid was running through the nursing homes/olds.

Yeah, about the nursing homes...

https://www.kxan.com/investigations/covid-19-cases-in-nursing-homes-escalating-again/

COVID-19 cases were nearly nonexistent just a month ago in Texas nursing homes. But now, as the virus’ delta variant rages through the state, long-term care facilities are seeing a rise in cases yet again.

Only about 56% of nursing home staff members in Texas have gotten their COVID-19 shots, according to federal data from the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services.

Only about one in five nursing facilities has more than 75% of their staff vaccinated, said Fredriksen.

“The flip side of that is that means four out of five facilities are at some level below that,” she said. “That’s really concerning. And for that reason, AARP is now essentially saying that nursing facilities should be requiring staff and residents to get the vaccine.”

Advocating for a vaccine mandate in nursing homes is a new position for AARP, said Fredriksen, but it’s “too risky” having unvaccinated staffers in close contact with vulnerable residents.

I could swear that people working in nursing homes had to have other vaccines, and was surprised that less than 60% of staff in Texas are vaccinated.

There is some good news - the elderly are vaccinated.

According to Austin Public Health’s long-term care dashboard, more than 130 cases had been reported at nursing homes, assisted living facilities and state supported living centers in the area over the last month. Half of those cases were reported in the last two weeks. 

A spokesperson for APH said the number of cases being investigated as breakthrough infections is “small, in comparison to the population that is fully vaccinated.”

Dr. Desmar Walkes, the city’s health authority, told city council and commissioners they were not seeing as many severe cases and hospitalizations because of a high rate of vaccination among these residents.

20 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

Northern Cen Tex here and exactly the same. Lots of rural ED’s and rural ICUs holding direct admits on vents for all kinds of illnesses. You have rural family docs that haven’t run a ventilator in years having to keep patients alive while they scramble to find a bed somewhere. Somebody had a contact and was able to ship out a patient to New Mexico just yesterday.

And somehow we haven’t converted over post surgical and trauma units for any Covid patients which are also filling up our own emergency department with bed holds. Probably a staffing issue. It’s like everyone outside of the hospital and health systems have collectively shrugged their shoulders. No field hospitals, no National Guard, no extra funds. Just a lot of dying young Covid patients with collateral damage to those who normally would have been seen in the hospital for other chronic conditions. Bravo America!

When covid was ramping up last year and hospitals were starting to fill up, I was hoping that the army would flex its muscle and erect field hospitals and show everybody what they are capable of.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Newdoc said:

My good friend is lead doc in the ER in Shawnee. He sent one patient to Colorado Springs and two to Kansas City  earlier this week. There are literally no beds available. And it’s due to the bolded above. The hospitals, mine included, have the floor space and amenities to accommodate much more, but we have no staff.

For almost a month now we have been offering $400 bonus plus time and a half PER SHIFT to RN’s on days and $600 bonus plus time and a half for nights. That’s not a $400 or $600 bonus per check, that’s $400 or $600 for every 12 hour shift you will pick up. And we still can’t fully staff any of our units.

• Rage+1 1

Is this the Aspen version of "bus loads of untested migrants dropped off in the middle of Austin"?
Nah, Aspen doesn't tend to roll that way. My guess is they have some data to back it up.

And I'm guessing that there were members of Johnny's crew who were unvaccinated. He also did this same trip last year, during the height of the pandemic, and he said that he travels with several of his neighbors.
  • Haha 1

Nah, Aspen doesn't tend to roll that way. My guess is they have some data to back it up.

It might be true, but this is a pretty shaky logic string.

One of the reasons for the higher infection rate among fully vaccinated residents is probably because 58% of visitors to Aspen and Pitkin County are unvaccinated, he said. Public health officials know that from interviews with out-of-county people who test positive in Pitkin County and are asked about their vaccination status.

Maybe they're partnering with the Chamber of Commerce and the Tourism Board to make sure they have the correct denominator?

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Newdoc said:

I think National Guard is kicking into gear soon.

85+% masked at my daughter's middle school for orientation. Parents and kids and teachers. I was impressed. I had already told my daughter that she'll be wearing a mask and explained why. She was completely cool with it. Looks like the majority will also be wearing masks, so that's good. She's 11, but we're also taking her to get the vaccine in a couple weeks since she just had her other school shots today.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

at this point, hospitals should just stack any unvaxxed showing up with covid in a giant tent and let them die. Then when the tent is full of dead bodies, burn it.

I have zero fucking pity or empathy for any of these stupid mother fuckers.

Palabra.

So far 5 MAGATs i know have perished while spewing every bit of wing nut propaganda they could before covid shut them the fuck up permanently. .

Edited by MissingInAction
Perm

12 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Remember when you essentially stopped these updates due to lack of activity?  Horse Paste Farms remembers…

What a mess.  My family has been having a wild week, my wife working 14 hour days for 6 days now trying to get a new school ready for an open house on Monday…and I’m burning myself out trying to juggle my 4/7yo kids + work + everything else needed to keep the house in some semblance of order.  

1/3rd of this country has consistently been able to hold the rest of us hostage, and I’m tired of it.  So now, for my family, what shoulda been the culmination of endless planning and stress (opening the new school) will just be the beginning as we see how badly Delta hammers teachers and students.  And I’ve got a good job with lots of flexibility, no idea how people living in the edge of their means manage all this.  

Hang in there bud. Lots of flex from work for me as well but wife never stopped working from office, which leaves me trying to juggle the kiddos (6yo and 6 months). School starting keeps my 1st grader busy, but adds all the stress that comes with kids in schools during this mess. 

feel like I haven’t slept restfully in 2 years. And that has nothing to do with having a baby, she is a champ sleeper. 

lots of coffee and periodic rage wank sessions are my suggestions 

Edited by hookemATL
Engrishhhh
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

This delta variant is about to spread like a motherfucker.  Pretty sure I have it and I got the vaccine as soon as it came out and still wear a mask.  On top of that, lots of my friends are sick right now and all of them are vaccinated.  Fuck everyone that didn’t get this damn vaccine…

• Hook 'Em 6

At this point, I think the situation is best summed up by the 1978 introduction to ABC's "Wild World of Sports":

We thought we were done at the race car guy, but we've moved on to somewhere between the ski jump guy and the motorcycle guy, and if enough people will get the shot, we can get to the weightlifting guy.

34 minutes ago, victory88 said:

This delta variant is about to spread like a motherfucker.  Pretty sure I have it and I got the vaccine as soon as it came out and still wear a mask.  On top of that, lots of my friends are sick right now and all of them are vaccinated.  Fuck everyone that didn’t get this damn vaccine…

This is an interesting post.

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Sawbonz said:

If the peak isn’t until January, there will be bodies stacked up like cord wood in the hospital parking lots. 

but hopefully none in trees 

It will likely go down again, then up again, and hopefully be done by next spring. 

Unless the dumbasses get vaxxed. Then it’s done much sooner. 

2 hours ago, Homercles said:

And I’ve got a good job with lots of flexibility, no idea how people living in the edge of their means manage all this.  

Yeah, I can't imagine that either. I know a few, and they have definitely struggled, but that's got to be some stressful shit - this goes beyond losing a job or something, this is literally making plenty sick.

And I can't imagine what it's like for those who need a hospital and have to get airlifted somewhere else - saw they were airlifting kids out of the Dallas area to other cities.  I can't imagine how expensive that's going to be for those families.

2 hours ago, hookemATL said:

lots of coffee and periodic rage wank sessions are my suggestions   

And YouTube.  Find the hobbies you were into in your younger years, or hobbies you are into now, or that you are vaguely interested in, and hop on YouTube and find some of the better youtubers that cover those hobbies.  I don't know why, but I find that shit relaxing when it's on in the background.  People metal-detecting Civil War or Revolutionary-era sites, some German dude metal-detecting Roman stuff in Germany, some lady digging four hundred year-old clay pipes out of the Thames mud, people rebuilding 1980s-era RC cars, etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Texas Jeff said:

At this point, I think the situation is best summed up by the 1978 introduction to ABC's "Wild World of Sports":

We thought we were done at the race car guy, but we've moved on to somewhere between the ski jump guy and the motorcycle guy, and if enough people will get the shot, we can get to the weightlifting guy.

I miss Wide World of Sports.  There was something really cool about it in the 80s.

• Hook 'Em 1

What are some of those questions?

Were we all going to get a version of covid no matter what? Was the selling of the vaccine as a cure and end of the pandemic the way to go? Is counting cases at this point productive or should we just focus on actual illness and severity (if you’re not vaxxed you’re fucked)?

1 minute ago, babysdaddy said:

Were we all going to get a version of covid no matter what? Was the selling of the vaccine as a cure and end of the pandemic the way to go? Is counting cases at this point productive or should we just focus on actual illness and severity (if you’re not vaxxed you’re fucked)?

Counting cases is a proxy for how much finding out there will be from fucking around. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

No, we were on our way to beating it if people kept getting vaccinated. Probably would've worked if 40%+ of the population weren't morons who believe YouTube clips and Facebook posts over scientists. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Homercles said:

And I’ve got a good job with lots of flexibility, no idea how people living in the edge of their means manage all this.  

Yea, my job was made permanently at-home because we all kept meeting deadlines. The beloved was supposed to return to the office for the first time since March, 2020, but they've moved it back to January. Our earning took no hits. The savings in gasoline probably helped offset the increase in ordering out for food.

Lucky. All those people sweating eviction, budgets, and even those relying on rent for their income (overlooked as far as federal aid last round) went through a nightmare second only to those afflicted and those caring for them.

Now idiots are inviting another round that will possibly be worse. They're also inviting new variations that could be worse, still.

Trump seizing the GOP might have been it for the ol' USA. 

Our best bet does seem to be a grim version of Covid that kills more than half the fools who rail against the imagined incursion on their rights and refuse vaccination. I wouldn't lose any sleep about it at this point.

• Hook 'Em 2

No, we were on our way to beating it if people kept getting vaccinated. Probably would've worked if 40%+ of the population weren't morons who believe YouTube clips and Facebook posts over scientists. 

I don’t know if that’s true. I agree those people are morons and know if people wouldve kept getting vaccinated our hospitals would be in better shape. But beating jt? Disagree
  • Like 1