COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

I should be an expert in this since I worked for a company that was sold off to Amgen before Regeneron had its mouse, but I guess it was too long ago. I would assume that the risk for anaphylaxis is much much less for a human monoclonal than a non-human or humanized monoclonal. Also, the risk should be a lot less for a one time administration vs. multiple administration product. With that said, Regeneron is recommended only for early stage disease not just because of efficacy but because of the immune system cascade that happens when further along in disease progression.

Good info thanks 

58 minutes ago, B00M said:

Where'd you learn this?

Monoclonal antibody treatment is getting more widespread. Anaphylaxis is an issue in general w those treatments but per Bevo may not be w regeneron which is a good thing. Not my area but I did read up on it a while back as a good friend had stage 4 non small cell carcinoma of the lung and our hope was he might be a candidate but unfortunately he was not. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Our hospital ran out of Regeneron today. Thank you Washington DC. No CR but that’s where the cutoff started.  No word on when the next shipment comes in. And while there are plenty of dipshits that should be at the back of the line for this stuff, there are enough older, immunized, feeble people who won’t do well with Covid that could benefit.

Edited by Newdoc
  • Hook 'Em 1

531 Cases today in Travis County (including weekend)

Down ~140 cases from last week Monday.  505 people hospitalized.

Age Bracket <1 1 to 9 10 to 19 20 to 29 30 to 39 40 to 49 50 to 59 60 to 69 70 to 79 >80 Total
Cases 9/20 vs 9/17 2 63 77 109 104 84 40 37 12 3 531
% of Daily Change 0.38% 11.86% 14.50% 20.53% 19.59% 15.82% 7.53% 6.97% 2.26% 0.56%  
% of Total Cases 0.75% 5.44% 11.26% 25.35% 20.76% 14.65% 10.66% 6.30% 2.99% 1.85%  
  • Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

Our hospital ran out of Regeneron today. Thank you Washington DC. No CR but that’s where the cutoff started.  No word on when the next shipment comes in. And while there are plenty of dipshits that should be at the back of the line for this stuff, there are enough older, immunized, feeble people who won’t do well with Covid that could benefit.

What has been your experience with the product? I feel like I'm vested since way back in January 2020 or so I stated that this treatment should be first on the market. There are some similar products in clinical trials currently so maybe it is possible to get them on an emergency basis. At the very least Genentech should step up to the plate and help Regeneron with production as it has state of the art cell culture.

https://bioprocessintl.com/bioprocess-insider/regeneron-confident-it-can-scale-up-to-meet-us-covid-mab-demands/

Ha, looks like I was late to the party: Last August Regeneron announced a partnership with Roche, aiming to develop and manufacture the antiviral antibody combination which, if approved, will treat non-hospitalized COVID-19 patients.

Edited by Bevo

4 hours ago, Bevo said:

What has been your experience with the product?

Don’t want to put stock in anecdotal observations but we have seen very little infusion reactions. Efficacy seems to track with published data. Patients, even the muh Freedom crowd are overall open to receive it when offered.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

Don’t want to put stock in anecdotal observations but we have seen very little infusion reactions. Efficacy seems to track with published data. Patients, even the muh Freedom crowd are overall open to receive it when offered.

That is good to hear. According to the article below, infusion reactions can occur with all monoclonal antibodies. The incidence does not appear to correlate with the origin (human, chimeric or mouse) of the drug, which might be explained by the fact that cytokine release is more often the causative factor than pure IgE-mediated allergy. Basically, by binding of the monoclonal antibody to the target, cytokines are released into the circulation and cause symptoms.

Summarizing the article - Monoclonal infusion reactions differ per person and disease. No relationship has been found between the origin of the monoclonal antibody (human, chimeric or mouse) and the incidence of infusion reactions. The number of administrations and combination therapy with another drug influences the probability of a reaction. Most infusion reactions occur during the first or second infusion. However, 10-30% of infusion reactions happen during subsequent administrations. Finally, a higher rate of infusion is associated with a higher likelihood of a reaction.

https://ar.iiarjournals.org/content/40/3/1201

Edited by Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

512 cases today in Travis County and we are at 492 hospitalized.

Age Bracket <1 1 to 9 10 to 19 20 to 29 30 to 39 40 to 49 50 to 59 60 to 69 70 to 79 >80 Total
Cases 9/21 vs 9/22 3 52 74 113 103 79 52 20 9 7 512
% of Daily Change 0.59% 10.16% 14.45% 22.07% 20.12% 15.43% 10.16% 3.91% 1.76% 1.37%  
% of Total Cases 0.75% 5.46% 11.28% 25.33% 20.76% 14.65% 10.66% 6.29% 2.98% 1.85%  
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Back in stage 4.

Screenshot-2021-09-21-174529.jpg

Per Austin guidelines (which are their own thing), stage 2 is where things really relax.  So let's get there.

But I think these reactive stages are stupid.  "Stages" and recommended activity should be based at least in part on trend lines -- see the upward trend line on this surge.  When we were going vertical through stage 2, measures shouldn't have been stage 2 measures, they should have been stage 5 measures, to try to keep from GETTING that bad.

That is one of the many things that has bugged me about the pandemic management approach -- reactive, not proactive.  Responding to what has happened, not trying to stave off what is about to happen.  I guess that's wishful thinking, as we can't even get people to take a free vaccine, but I mean, while I'm bitching about stuff.....

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Very good to see.  It seems that we are mostly on the downslope state-wide at this point.  

so over the past ~4 weeks, from the peak on 8/25 until that graphic was generated, 717 hospital beds have freed up.  per the nytimes tracker, harris county has had 875 deaths reported over that same timeframe.  while those aren't directly comparable numbers (iirc TMC hospitals are including all beds at network hospitals which might be the next county over, deaths are county wide which includes non-TMC hospitals and people dying outside hospital, deaths from a couple days ago probably haven't made it into the tracker yet, etc), the fact that those figures are in the same ballpark is kinda scary. 

image.png.8012fdecbf4739f458f404af22520c1f.png

25-Aug	42
26-Aug	35
27-Aug	28
28-Aug	53
29-Aug	12
30-Aug	5
31-Aug	31
1-Sep	42
2-Sep	49
3-Sep	37
4-Sep	36
5-Sep	16
6-Sep	5
7-Sep	22
8-Sep	40
9-Sep	62
10-Sep	50
11-Sep	43
12-Sep	14
13-Sep	9
14-Sep	33
15-Sep	56
16-Sep	45
17-Sep	61
18-Sep	38
19-Sep	7
20-Sep	4

Edited by elfenix
no idea why there's all this whitespace in the post that i can't delete

Oh, that absolutely looks to be why beds are opening up and hospital populations are going down - see the story from Alabama.  It ain't because people are getting better and checking out.  It's because they're dying.  And the good thing is that other COVID patients aren't showing up to take their place.  But yeah, hospital numbers going down being tied to "because they left in bodybags, not because they got better" is pretty grim.  Reminds me of the days following 9/11 -- no need for hospitals or blood donations, there were no patients, only the dead.

358 cases today in Travis County today. Still by and large skewing younger. 475 people hospitalized. (lowest since Aug 3rd)

Cases 9/22 vs 9/21 5 48 61 65 57 58 28 23 9 4 358
% of Daily Change 1.40% 13.41% 17.04% 18.16% 15.92% 16.20% 7.82% 6.42% 2.51% 1.12%  
% of Total Cases 0.75% 5.49% 11.30% 25.31% 20.74% 14.65% 10.65% 6.29% 2.98% 1.85%  
  • Hook 'Em 2

I remember about a week after 9/11, we sent a half dozen refrigerated trailers to lower Manhattan, along with 100 other freight carriers.  Only one half of one trailer ended up being used.  The rest just ended up in the way and we pulled 'em days later when the obvious became apparent.  

Earlier this week, several different distributors in the Deep South inquired about hot-shotting multiple straight trucks packed with as many Batesville Caskets as we could get (we've been handling Batesville for decades), they then turn around and get them to funeral homes running out of stock on more modest caskets.  Apparently Hillenbrand Casket's carrier is getting the same phone calls.  We're in a big death wave right now in the South and it's gonna last a few more weeks while this latest case surge plays out. 

But yeah, it's at least opening up hospital beds finally.  So to the great unvacc'd heroes...you be you...stand up for your principles.  We got a fleet of caskets en route, I won't leave you hangin'...

maybe - and yes i'm being hopeful - those beds aren't quickly being refilled with NEW dying covid patients bc it's finally starting to sink in that the finding out part of FAFO is...not great, Bob! and they are seeing friends, family, and demagogues actually dying. maybe people are, i dunno, actually learning? i mean, it could happen.

^

Almost 20 months in and you think NOW people are gonna start, "i dunno, actually learning" (your words)?  The variant now has a proven feeding ground as well as a proving ground for its next iteration/incarnation come colder weather.  Tens of millions of people aren't learning jackshit.  We're just burning through the logical end of this delta surge.  This is just the statistical outcome of so many unvaccinated people getting hospitalized.  Things will cool down in a couple weeks and stay that way until after Thanksgiving.  And then we'll get calls to start bringing down more caskets to southern states while southern "leaders" continue to say this is a problem for California and New York and it's nothing to worry about down here because of our grit and tenacity.  

We decided to waive the hot-shot upcharge on the caskets, foregoing profit on any of these shipments.  We'll charge just driver costs and fuel, and take a loss on vehicle depreciation/tires/etc.  Because we know there's another order coming later this late Autumn/early Winter.  And it's coming for the stupid.  And then we can name any price we want (don't worry though, we're humane). 

But if the idea of getting this shot to help your fellow Texan didn't convince you, wait until you see the fucking armada of caskets I have coming to your shores.    

25 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

We will pass a million.

If we filled up Pyle Field with 100,000 fans, and then said "okay, unless everybody masks up and gets vaccinated, 300 of you are going to be die", I wonder what the atmosphere would be like.  Sure, there would be those looking around and saying "I like my odds", but plenty saying "holy shit, 300 people will die?"

If we filled up Pyle Field with 100,000 fans, and then said "okay, unless everybody masks up and gets vaccinated, 300 of you are going to be die", I wonder what the atmosphere would be like.  Sure, there would be those looking around and saying "I like my odds", but plenty saying "holy shit, 300 people will die?"

Shit. For that location, how can we flip those odds?
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

American exceptionalism, bro. We can beat every other developed country, because we’re number 1!

Apparently nobody really cared the first year because it just killed off the olds. Now it’s the middle age and and younger. Entirely needless of course because we have the cure.  I do not have any sympathy for the unvaccinated who die. Freedom of choice. Some choose to die. I choose to live.

Just now, JimmyJames said:

The amount of deaths attributed to Covid are way under counted in my opinion.  Should look at the overall death rate in a year versus expected death rate. 

My aunt was written up as cardiac arrest early on when the powers that be were trying to keep the numbers down.  Found dead in her condo with no autopsy performed.  The sheets looked like she literally coughed up a lung.

2 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

My aunt was written up as cardiac arrest early on when the powers that be were trying to keep the numbers down.  Found dead in her condo with no autopsy performed.  The sheets looked like she literally coughed up a lung.

I know of at least two people who died in their 50s and 60s who died way too early that will never be attributed to Covid because it wasnt tested. Pulmonary embolism and a stroke. They were fine a year ago. Was a first for me to see. 

16 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Vaxxed in March. Popped positive today. Uncontrollable chills last night and just now. I’m a little pissed at these LinkedIn freedom fighters that bombard my feed daily. 

welcome to the club, pal. came down with it mid last week...it knocked me on my ass for 5 days, then day 6 it was like nothing happened. still can't taste/smell anything, but it suckkkeeddd. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, JimmyJames said:

I know of at least two people who died in their 50s and 60s who died way too early that will never be attributed to Covid because it wasnt tested. Pulmonary embolism and a stroke. They were fine a year ago. Was a first for me to see. 

This was April 2020.  It was all new and she lived in Collin County.

Covid-19 was supposed to be a bad flu according to Top Men.  And we have now surpassed the number of U.S. deaths from the 1918-20 Influenza.  So yeah, it's officially become a slightly worse flu pandemic as predicted.  Things are totally in line.  Done by April, as promised.  2022.  Giddy Up. 

Only good news is 4 out of every 5 corpses are people we didn't want anyway. 

'Member when it was just old people who were gonna die in crowded cities anyway?  Another fleet of caskets are en route, fear not Texas.  Sleep.

Edited by Lobo

28 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

The amount of deaths attributed to Covid are way under counted in my opinion.  Should look at the overall death rate in a year versus expected death rate. 

There are a bunch of papers and articles on this. The NY Times had a great one but got bored with it. The U.S has been pretty consistent at 20% higher than normal so yeah, we are already somewhere around 850,000.

• Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Covid-19 was supposed to be a bad flu according to Top Men.  And we have now surpassed the number of U.S. deaths from the 1918-20 Influenza.  So yeah, it's officially become a slightly worse flu pandemic as predicted.  Things are totally in line.  Done by April, as promised.  2022.  Giddy Up. 

Only good news is 4 out of every 5 corpses are people we didn't want anyway. 

'Member when it was just old people who were gonna die in crowded cities anyway?  Another fleet of caskets are en route, fear not Texas.  Sleep.

Don’t play loose with statistics.   The population of the US was about 1/3 of today, and medical reporting was just beyond leeching.    

it’s pretty damn bad, but nowhere near that bad.  

5 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Don’t play loose with statistics.   The population of the US was about 1/3 of today, and medical reporting was just beyond leeching.    

I don’t know. Considering the state of medical science in 1918, and the fact that the war effort precluded the actions we took last year to flatten the curve, it’s hard to say this is “nowhere near” as bad. 

11 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Yes, population was smaller and most jobs/schools necessitated "close quarters."  But if you think about our preventative measures, mitigating steps, PPE, and vaccinations...I'd say you're right...it's not a statistically level playing field.  But not in the direction you're thinking.  

20 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

7 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yes, population was smaller and most jobs/schools necessitated "close quarters."  But if you think about our preventative measures, mitigating steps, PPE, and vaccinations...I'd say you're right...it's not a statistically level playing field.  But not in the direction you're thinking.  

Don't forget that a lot of the 1918-1920 folks died from pneumonia/other things that were a result of the influenza, things that we can easily treat now.

Covid-19 is a helluva lot worse.

12 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Don't forget that a lot of the 1918-1920 folks died from pneumonia/other things that were a result of the influenza, things that we can easily treat now.

Covid-19 is a helluva lot worse.

A lot of the people that have died from Covid have died from pneumonia.  I don’t think that’s a good comparison either.  

23 minutes ago, Lobo said:

If that were an aerosolized virus like this one, there’d have been 7x the amount of deaths.   Also, a lot of deaths likely went unaccounted for then because people weren’t really keeping track of stuff in bumfuck Missouri and places like that.