COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

23 hours ago, Lobo said:

They were actually super-responsive by old school email (not submitted on their site), but use the one listed on there and send an email to them directly from your email address of original registration.  They got back to me within 24 hours and I requested a new appt.  Couple hours later, I received a text to login and select a time and before the end of the week, I had the blood drawn and the results back.  Their phone lines and online submission form are for shit, send an email.  (I can't remember the specific address but it's up in this thread somewhere but also easily available on their site).

Cares or CPL email?

On 1/14/2022 at 3:42 PM, Hawndoh said:

21% of my students were absent today. Good thing we're in the middle of the most important content of the entire year!

I was missing 7 out of 22 on Friday... the day I finally made it back after my own bout with Covid.

FWIW, I had a fever of about 103 for 3 days and massive body aches.  My wife felt like she had a mild cold.  My 9 year-old had a very minor cough.  The only reason he got tested was because the two of us were positive.  Wife and I both vaxxed; 9 year-old not.

3 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I was missing 7 out of 22 on Friday... the day I finally made it back after my own bout with Covid.

My kids' school is not doing the pool testing or anything, so the kids being tested are not at random, but kids exposed or suspected, and the positive numbers just keep climbing.  Teachers are getting it as well.  Local schools are putting out calls for parents to work as substitute teachers.

Feels like we are headed towards a shutdown not to control it, but because we are running out of staff.

My taste and smell are definitely fucked today after being fine for the whole week. Not sure if it's just from lingering congestion or if I get to deal with this for the next several weeks/months.

Good luck. My taste/smell is still fucked after having covid 54 weeks ago. Luckily beer and whiskey taste normal, so it could be worse.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Wife and daughter tested positive a week ago. Daughter has had a sore throat all week and nothing else. Wife has had various symptoms, including a loss of taste this morning that lasted a whole hour (*cough*bullshit). Neither have had any fever. Wife has complained about random things throughout the week but I honestly think that most of those were in her own head. 

My latest PCR test came back negative today. Sharing a bed with Typhoid Mary all week and I got nothin so far. My immune system has seen some shit in the last 20 years. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Picked up my daughters from daycare on Friday after getting a call that the 15 month old had a 102.4 fever.  Spiked to 103 overnight friday.  Got her tested Saturday morning and negative for COVID/Flu/RSV.   Likely has croup again for the 3rd time in 6 weeks.   Fever was completely gone by 11am saturday but lingering cough and runny nose.  Got her tested again today and still negative for all 3.  Now I have a cough and congestion/runny nose.  No fever or anything else.  

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Picked up my daughters from daycare on Friday after getting a call that the 15 month old had a 102.4 fever.  Spiked to 103 overnight friday.  Got her tested Saturday morning and negative for COVID/Flu/RSV.   Likely has croup again for the 3rd time in 6 weeks.   Fever was completely gone by 11am saturday but lingering cough and runny nose.  Got her tested again today and still negative for all 3.  Now I have a cough and congestion/runny nose.  No fever or anything else.  

I had my wife quit her job when our kid was young because I was tired of getting sick every other week. Daycare is the fucking worst. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

I had my wife quit her job when our kid was young because I was tired of getting sick every other week. Daycare is the fucking worst. 

It's mind-numbing.   Our oldest has a proclivity to Upper Respiratory/Throat infections as a result of her surgeries and procedures.  I swear she has had croup 10 times in the past 10 months.  

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

It's mind-numbing.   Our oldest has a proclivity to Upper Respiratory/Throat infections as a result of her surgeries and procedures.  I swear she has had croup 10 times in the past 10 months.  

By the time she is school age, she'll have super immunity as a result of her daycare years, at least in our anecdotal experience with our two.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Where’s the city/county/state stats posts at?  Kinda hoping to see some numbers again. Have we peaked yet?

Untitled

Hospital covid census growth starting to slow in Austin. I stand by my prediction we will peak in 10-14 days there. I think we'll make it through this wave in much better shape at the hospital level.  Total ICU census hasn't budged in Austin, so capacity seems OK.    

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Where’s the city/county/state stats posts at?  Kinda hoping to see some numbers again. Have we peaked yet?

Well see, there is a holiday weekend going right now, so we can't bother the county public health authorities to report daily numbers. 

27 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Well see, there is a holiday weekend going right now, so we can't bother the county public health authorities to report daily numbers. 

Can’t believe Covid doesn’t have the decency to take off MLK day. This was the case for the last surge too. Our incredible government at all levels gotta take those holidays and weekends.

14 hours ago, Newdoc said:

Can’t believe Covid doesn’t have the decency to take off MLK day. This was the case for the last surge too. Our incredible government at all levels gotta take those holidays and weekends.

I remember MLK last year Dallas shut down vaccine clinics when everything just started moving efficiently.  Was a major WTF.

Talked to my anesthesiologist neighbor here in Austin and he's acting like the hospitals are hanging in there and that people are going in/out faster and ICUs are reasonable.  

On a side note, was on a client call yesterday... my client mentioned he and his wife were getting over Covid and were doing fine.  My colleague then said, "oh, did you take ivermectin?" and just kept talking about it... he laughed at her suggestion and I said, "the good news is she no longer has worms".  My colleague didn't find that funny.

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, BrickHorn said:

I know it’s coming after a 3-day weekend, but the Travis County dashboard is reporting a case total for 1/18 (3862) that is more than twice as high as any other day in the pandemic. 

How are hospitalizations and deaths trending?

Deaths thus far have been low. This week's deaths will be updated on Friday but the past five weeks (not counting this one) have averaged 3.8 deaths/week.

The prior 5 weeks for example were at 7.8/week. So it would look like all of the statements around this variant being less lethal are being proven to be true. (helps that people continue to get vaccinated/boosted etc)

10 deaths in Travis County for the week ending Jan 21.

They break down as follows:

30 to 39 (1)

40 to 49 (1)

50 to 59 (3)

60 to 69 (4)

70 to 79 (1)

The 7 day moving average for hospitalizations is 670 right now so while 10 deaths is the first double digit week since w/e Dec 10th it is as a % of cases/hospitalizations pretty low

For the analogous time period last year (Week ending Jan 23) there were 33 deaths and a 7 day moving average of hospitalizations on Jan 23rd, 2021 of 592 and the new cases 7 day was 611 (it is 1,564 on Jan 21, 2022)

So basically while cases & hospitalizations are running significantly higher deaths are down by a third year over year. Vaccinations work and this variant is less deadly.

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Do we have enough data to declare that hospitalizations and deaths have decoupled from cases, and maybe even each other?

The ratios of hospitalizations to cases have changed on the different peaks but the peaks have always aligned.  I'm sure it's some catchup number not previously reported but todays Travis county data of cases and new admits are wack so I choose to look at the hospitalizations to see if we're on the downslope of an Omicron peak or not.

I read something on Reuters a day or so ago that mentioned cases dropping, hospitalizations plateauing, but deaths still rising nationwide. Don’t feel like looking for it now, not so I know how Texas or Austin compare to nationwide numbers.  Still slogging through this wave. I think it also mentioned that omicron deaths are now higher than delta deaths, but I assume since we don’t type everyone’s particular strain that is journalistic license for deaths during the delta spike compared to deaths during the omicron spike. 

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I read something on Reuters a day or so ago that mentioned cases dropping, hospitalizations plateauing, but deaths still rising nationwide. Don’t feel like looking for it now, not so I know how Texas or Austin compare to nationwide numbers.  Still slogging through this wave. I think it also mentioned that omicron deaths are now higher than delta deaths, but I assume since we don’t type everyone’s particular strain that is journalistic license for deaths during the delta spike compared to deaths during the omicron spike. 

Not to mention that the raw number of cases is several orders higher for Omicron, it would not be surprising there are more deaths.  

1 minute ago, Trey3216 said:

Not to mention that the raw number of cases is several orders higher for Omicron, it would not be surprising there are more deaths.  

Right, but that brings us back to an earlier discussion of what “less deadly” means. By % of cases, easily. By total deaths- maybe not so much. Plus omicron is working with a population that is much more protected via vaccine or previous infection than delta was.  Maybe if omicron comes before delta or before vaccines, we would have had a real shit show. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Right, but that brings us back to an earlier discussion of what “less deadly” means. By % of cases, easily. By total deaths- maybe not so much. Plus omicron is working with a population that is much more protected via vaccine or previous infection than delta was.  Maybe if omicron comes before delta or before vaccines, we would have had a real shit show. 

Or maybe we would not have had a delta wave as maybe our natural immunity would have taken over.  We'll never really know.   

At least in Dallas this seemed to peak 1-2 weeks ago.  I don't remember link for good source of testing data but looking at the charts Jenkins tweets almost daily, ER visits for covid-like illness peaked end of December/early January (i.e., right around time tests ran out and lines were hours long so no doubt part of that is people using the ER as a GP) but looks like hospitalizations have now also leveled off.  I'm still speculating this was pretty widespread by December based on the number of people that got it confirmed via an at-home test so never a public data point.  We either had it 2nd week of December and didn't realize it (tested daughter once with initial symptoms and nobody else - we now know probably need to test day 2) or we've been incredibly lucky.  More than 1/2 kids in each of our kids pre-K class have had it at some point.  Both of their teachers have had it.  We've been to restaurants, dive bar, mavs games, musical, jurassic world exhibit with kids (by far "covidiest experience packed in small rooms at times") and somehow to our knowledge have escaped it.  Obviously still plenty of time to get it on downside of this wave.

I don't have time to post the pictures now, but Houston has peaked.  Dallas is teetering on peakage.  Austin and San Antonio still fucking around.  They will peak soon though, in about a week.  Then we get a nice downslope and spring valley. 

Then, and stay with me here, you'll never guess what's gonna happen this summer, and then again starting in December. 

• Like 2