COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

Well shit. Just tested positive for covid.

I was in Nashville for training and probably infected everyone else in the room. 

I'm kinda inconsistent with my mask wearing - didn't wear one in the airport, but kept it on during the flight.

Anyway, I started coughing on the flight back. So far the symptoms are relatively light - occasional fever, chills and sensitive skin. They come and go and I'm actually feeling better than I did yesterday.

I read somewhere that symptoms can get worse. I'd be cool if yesterday was as bad as it gets.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

jackie-chan.gif

Come to think of it, I actually wore a mask all the way to Nashville, but probably took it off once I got to the hotel on Tuesday.

Emailing everyone in my training that I probably gave them all Covid wasn’t fun. We’ll see about the backlash when everyone checks their email on Monday. 

4 hours ago, Okie State said:

Backlash for what? Unless you had symptoms or knowingly attended the training while you were sick.

True.

Someone from the training just responded to my email saying he tested positive.

I feel like shit for giving it to at least one person.

My symptoms have mostly subsided. Still congested and have a light, sometimes wet cough. But nothing significant.

Funny thing is my parents in Taiwan are scared to death of this thing. The case rates there have shot up after being really low for the past 2 years. They’ve pretty much stopped all their social engagements.

I told them I had Covid and their response was pretty nonchalant. Maybe they just don’t want to come to the US to see their grandkids. 

• Haha 4

Tested positive yesterday…

Just started a new job a month ago, they had their first in person company offsite in San Diego last week. We tested daily and no one confused to being positive, but Slack started blowing up that folks tested positive starting Friday.

Feels a bit like the flu, lots of coughing. Maybe I’ll get some lean.

1 minute ago, Johnny Sack said:

Our school now they let everyone know if there is a positive but do not shut anything down.  The sick kid stays home until 24 hours without a fever.

This sounds like a reasonable mitigation.  My question would be about which parents are bothering to test their kids and notify the school, as opposed to sending them to school with “allergies” 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

McCallum has had a steady 3-5 per day until today when 19 popped a positive test.

Not exactly . . . 9 on Friday 5/13.  8 on Wednesday 5/11.  (Maybe the daily average was closer to your number.)

Edited by jimmyjazz

5 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Our school now they let everyone know if there is a positive but do not shut anything down.  The sick kid stays home until 24 hours without a fever.

5 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

This sounds like a reasonable mitigation.  My question would be about which parents are bothering to test their kids and notify the school, as opposed to sending them to school with “allergies” 

The numbers will look no different than the number of asshole parents who sent kids to school with a fever pre-Covid.  That type of shit is what one would hope this pandemic would train out of the populace, but it hasn't come close.  Fever = no school.  Period.  Same for work.  Until we can change this mentality we'll just rinse and repeat every flu season and for every new novel virus that pops up.

• Hook 'Em 1

So, we are a part of this wave.  Husband and I tested positive over the weekend for the first time.   Symptoms are relatively mild but annoying and not pleasant.  The fatigue is really the worst part.  No fever and oxygen levels are good.  I'm missing a pretty important in-person work meeting.  

We had relaxed our mask usage for sure, but had tried to take a middle of the road approach.  We went to a concert Tuesday night but didn't get into the main shoulder to shoulder crowd, stood off to the side with at least some amount of distance from others.  It wasn't enough.   Not certain, but that is the most likely place we got it.

Seems like most of the folks I'm hearing from that have it now are getting it for the first time.  I wonder if this is due to the transmissibility of the new subvariant or simply the general relaxation of protective measure we've all slipped into.  Either way, a large wave that doesn't result in much hospitalization may be a good thing if it signals that we can finally start treating this thing like a cold.

2 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

Seems like most of the folks I'm hearing from that have it now are getting it for the first time.  I wonder if this is due to the transmissibility of the new subvariant or simply the general relaxation of protective measure we've all slipped into.  Either way, a large wave that doesn't result in much hospitalization may be a good thing if it signals that we can finally start treating this thing like a cold.

I’d like to see data on long Covid. Specifically, is it more prevalent in non-vaccinated infections or not, what is the duration range, can it be treated. Things like that, that would make me endeavor to remain uninfected. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

To me, the bolded is the big question mark/data point we're looking for.  If we start getting waves of infection, but a sharp reduction in the rate of serious illness, we'll be in a new endemic phase, and can move forward with appropriate caution (maybe a new variant comes along that kicks our asses again).  In the end, we should end up treating this like the seasonal flu: we'll have vaccines (and plenty of people will refuse to get them because reasons), it won't be fun when you catch it, and tens of thousands of people will die from it in the US in a given year.  Which, we've already shown that we can function with, so just add it to the stack.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

To me, the bolded is the big question mark/data point we're looking for.  If we start getting waves of infection, but a sharp reduction in the rate of serious illness, we'll be in a new endemic phase, and can move forward with appropriate caution (maybe a new variant comes along that kicks our asses again).  In the end, we should end up treating this like the seasonal flu: we'll have vaccines (and plenty of people will refuse to get them because reasons), it won't be fun when you catch it, and tens of thousands of people will die from it in the US in a given year.  Which, we've already shown that we can function with, so just add it to the stack.

I think this is pretty much where I'm at too.  We're all vaxed and boosted.  My kids will probably get a booster when one becomes available.  We've all had it once.

We'll watch the numbers and respond accordingly.

4 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

I think this is pretty much where I'm at too.  We're all vaxed and boosted.  My kids will probably get a booster when one becomes available.  We've all had it once.

We'll watch the numbers and respond accordingly.

My kids have each had it.  For each, it was an unpleasant cold, with a couple of days of really unenjoyable fatigue.  Wife and I haven't had it yet, but as she says "at this point, it's a game of dodgeball -- we'll all get hit eventually."  I agree.  And, interestingly, she just spent two weeks with a nasty cold that was NOT COVID (tested, even had her Dr. confirm).  Knocked her on her ass, worse than COVID hit either kid, because colds still suck.  If COVID becomes mostly a cold that still sucks, even a lot, then we've crossed an important barrier, and should move forward.

Oh, and I'll keep getting a vaccination formulated for new variants and whatnot, like I get my flu shot every year.  I last had the flu 14 years ago, got it before the shot came out.  It sucked, hard, and I don't want to do that again, so I get the shot.  Which has yet to turn me into a three-horned mutant or make my arm receive wifi signals.

Fuck. Mother of a good friend of ours died. Just now. My wife just found out this afternoon that she was in the hospital, and it looked bad. She told me she was in the hospital 15 minutes ago. And then she got the message 5 minutes ago that she died. It all happened pretty damned fast - she got sick Sunday night, within 48 hours, she coded, was intubated. They took her off the vent and meds, and she was gone in minutes. I don’t know if she had any underlying conditions, I do think she was at least partially vaxxed.
Shit.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Samson's Wig said:

Seeing this a lot as well. Fully vaxxed and boosted, no prior infections. All been fairly mild cases relatively speaking. Like bad colds. 

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

Seeing this a lot as well. Fully vaxxed and boosted, no prior infections. All been fairly mild cases relatively speaking. Like bad colds. 

Case rates are picking up in CA. Our office manager said another person just tested positive for Covid.

My symptoms came Thursday night, and were mostly gone by Saturday morning. I would call it a very mild version of the flu I got in February 2015. It was memorable because that was right after my son was born, and I couldn’t help because I was knocked on my ass for almost a week. 

Email from McCallum this morning reporting 18 positive cases.  Not good for numbers and quarantine protocol given finals and other year-end school events.  But still seems like this is more of an endemic phase with hospitalizations staying low and anecdotally symptoms being more manageable than prior variants.

On 5/15/2022 at 12:46 PM, Superhero said:

True.

Someone from the training just responded to my email saying he tested positive.

I feel like shit for giving it to at least one person.

My symptoms have mostly subsided. Still congested and have a light, sometimes wet cough. But nothing significant.

Funny thing is my parents in Taiwan are scared to death of this thing. The case rates there have shot up after being really low for the past 2 years. They’ve pretty much stopped all their social engagements.

I told them I had Covid and their response was pretty nonchalant. Maybe they just don’t want to come to the US to see their grandkids. 

Maybe the other guy gave it to you?  Was he/she from the Seattle team?  You gotta keep an eye on those sneaky bastards.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Maybe the other guy gave it to you?  Was he/she from the Seattle team?  You gotta keep an eye on those sneaky bastards.

Had a zoom call with the guy who was sick. Turns out his daughter had Covid 2 weeks ago. He just might have been the one who infected me. We spent a lot of time together at the training talking about how I could help his project.

Re the Seattle team. I don’t need an additional reason to hate them. They already have my full hate.

Actually they hired a couple of guys that weren’t pieces or shit. So I’ll just hate on everyone there minus 3.

17 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Seeing this a lot as well. Fully vaxxed and boosted, no prior infections. All been fairly mild cases relatively speaking. 

Checking in here!   

Had hoped any of the numerous colds we've gotten winter/spring were Omicron (and that rapid tests we took were wrong) but was still negative for natural antibodies in my March Texas Cares draw.  So we went to Disney last week fully aware we were due and Omicron didn't let us down.  Very odd disease.  It was towards end of last week I started really feeling fatigued but honestly I just chalked it up to (i) worst sleep in a long time (even leading up to Disney) due to all Mavs/Stars games on West Coast time (including attending Game 3 in Dallas before early morning to airport) and continuing to watch games in Orlando, (ii) nightly beer/wine on balcony after kids were down watching said games (iii) early 6:50AM ET alarms then (iv) long ass 20K+ step days in the Florida heat at the parks.   Towards end of last week I felt completely wiped out and exhausted bu I would have been Omicron or not.  Last Weds night I felt sore throat but then went away.  Then I couldn't stay away for all of game 6 last Thurs.  I felt tired and a little shortness of breath during peak heat of day Thurs/Fri but honestly felt fine (with help of many beers) closing down park Fri then beers before plane at pool Sat.  It was only when I still felt exhausted Sun afternoon after a lot of sleep and lazy day that I thought to test and Boom quick positive.  My wife as well and she never felt anything but tired also (again, chalked it up to being at Disney for a week).    Then my 5 YO son woke up Sun night with aches and both son and daughter were laid up Monday with 102 fever.  Both woke up Tues feeling a lot better and bouncing off the walls today.

Big picture takeaways for us:  My wife and I were boosted.  Me in October and her mid-December.   The 2 colds I had in 2022 absolutely hit me harder and neither of those were really THAT bad.  But for each of those I felt like shit for 1-2 days. I would have bet a large sum either of the other 2 were COVID before this.   Could alcohol have masked it?  We usually don't drink during week but it was a necessity with a 3 and 5 year old at Disney. It's been odd as ever since I first felt 'off' it's been waves of feeling completely fine and feeling lethargic.  Felt tired Weds night then last Thurs was worst overall. Then I woke up fine Friday and only wore down peak heat of day Friday.  Felt fine pretty much all day Saturday (even during miserable travel afternoon/evening with flight delay) but then wiped out Sunday.  Last 2 days have been better except I tried to work out (light Peloton ride) and zero stamina and a little trouble breathing.  Going to try again in a bit.  

But I can see how it spreads because in hindsight I'm sure we spread it unknowingly.   I wonder if I had been home and actually well rested if I would have noticed it or chalked it up to allergies.  Maybe if working out?    For kids, thankfully it was mild.  I honestly intended to get my 5YO son 1 dose a couple of weeks before we left.  Then we got super busy and never got around to it.  I had a lot of dad guilt on Monday when he had 102 fever with tylenol but thankfully he seems fine now.  He had it the worst of all of us and it was still basically 1.5 days of feeling shitty about like a cold.

I guess at this point I'm glad we finally knocked it out and hopefully won't deal with it for a while.   But then again, it also reinforced that for us (healthy and vaccinated or young) there are a lot of bigger things to worry about.  

Edited by Skipper
  • Hook 'Em 2

Weird virus. Both myself (vaxxed/boosted) and my 1 year old got it two weeks back while my 4yr old and wife didn’t get it.

Symptoms were strange. Bad headache, sweat/chills, heartburn, lethargy and slightly runny nose.

Same here. Vax and booster. Wife too. I got it but wtf with the heartburn? Didn’t get that. But as mentioned weird. It’s the new flu. The people still wearing cloth masks make me laugh. Tards.

Yup to all the above. My 78 year old vax/boosted dad came to visit Friday. Saturday night he started having bad allergy symptoms which is not unusual for him. Sunday morning he was feeling pretty flu like, but low fever so I went and bought him a test as he was supposed to go home Sunday afternoon. Positive. By Monday morning really his only symptoms were bad fatigue and no appetite. As of today he’s still tired but appetite is mostly back.

We’ve kept him quarantined in our downstairs guest suite and have been leaving him food and drinks outside his door. So far we’ve been lucky and I guess if we make it to tomorrow we are in fairly good shape. Fortunately we weren’t around him much indoors. 3 meals together and 2 of them were outside. We watched some sports together for an hour or so in the same room on Saturday afternoon but he was literally across the room. Never entered his room Sunday. 

Am I still right that 5 days from our last exposure to him is still considered good to go?

My ten year old son is still running a 102 fever after developing symptoms last Friday.  Deep cough as well.  I feel bad for the guy, he's been stuck in his room for the most part, and if things don't improve he'll miss the entire last two weeks of school.  This shit doesn't just go away in a couple of days for everybody, not even kids.

Wife, Daughter and I all tested negative on a PCR test this week.  Weird virus.

1 hour ago, Samson's Wig said:

My ten year old son is still running a 102 fever after developing symptoms last Friday.  Deep cough as well.  I feel bad for the guy, he's been stuck in his room for the most part, and if things don't improve he'll miss the entire last two weeks of school.  This shit doesn't just go away in a couple of days for everybody, not even kids.

Wife, Daughter and I all tested negative on a PCR test this week.  Weird virus.

Was going to ask this... still negative? My son has had a terrible cough that's keeping us up all night and a 101-102 fever since Sunday. Went to the Dr and Flu/Covid was negative however he did have 2 ear infections. There still has to be some virus that he has causing the cough I would think. Earlier this week I was fighting what he had too and have been so stuffy and sinus pressure like I'm having an onslaught of allergies. Covid negative too so am at a loss. Wife said new strain might be turning up false negatives...

When my kids got it in January/Feb they were out of school for two weeks because for the 2nd week they kept popping fevers everyday.  100,101 we'd give them tylenol and they were over it quickly each day but the next day they would pop a fever again. 

2 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

When my kids got it in January/Feb they were out of school for two weeks because for the 2nd week they kept popping fevers everyday.  100,101 we'd give them tylenol and they were over it quickly each day but the next day they would pop a fever again. 

Might I suggest that it may be the fever suppression of the Tylenol that slowed down the immune response sufficiently to let the virus get strong enough to cause a fever the next day once the Tylenol was metabolized?  Repeated daily for a while.  Perhaps letting the fever break on its own, if it stayed at 100-101, would have resulted in a quicker convalescence. 

or, maybe not. 

I picked it up ~3 weeks ago.  Started feeling ill Sunday 5/1 but tested negative.  Tuesday morning the fever hadn't broken and was 101 so tested again, immediately showed positive.  Fever broke Thursday night 5/5.  Lower back pain stopped about the same time.  I had night sweats that kept up until Monday 5/9.  Had my regularly scheduled physical the following day and I checked out mostly fine.  Still had some coughing fits and a bit of congestion.  By last Saturday I felt pretty normal. 

Sunday I started getting gastro problems.  Had a pretty normal breakfast and lunch but felt like I'd eaten a huge Thanksgiving dinner.  Monday morning the back pain returned and I was back to 101.  Didn't eat anything Monday but still felt like I'd just eaten Thanksgiving.  Slept in 2-3 hour naps all day and night as the back pain continued.  Couldn't lay on my left side without feeling like I was about to puke for a couple days.  Had soup for Tuesday lunch and dinner and Wednesday lunch.  Tried a sandwich for Wednesday dinner and the bloat came back.  This morning I woke up several times with puke flavor in my mouth.  I had a dream where I was belching so long I had to take a breath in the middle of it.  I think that might actually have happened based on how bad my mouth tasted.  Been peeing out my butt every hour or so for the rest of today.

Fuck this.

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 3

I tested positive a week ago.  Saw the doctor within an hour after the positive test. I was running a fever of 100.6 with a major league sore throat.  He gave me a Kenalog shot and said I should feel much better in a couple of days. However, the next day I had developed a secondary bacterial infection in my lungs which called for antibiotics….sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim 800mg 160mg 2x/day for 7 days.  I take the last tablet this evening.  Haven’t had the energy to shower for the past week.  I just lie in bed and feel like death warmed over. My doctor says the vaccines and boosters offer little protection with the new variants (no shit) and this has to run its course.    I’m in my late 60’s and retired, so I can ride this out at home.  Thank God I didn’t catch the initial strain.  This is fucking brutal.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1