COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

6 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Might I suggest that it may be the fever suppression of the Tylenol that slowed down the immune response sufficiently to let the virus get strong enough to cause a fever the next day once the Tylenol was metabolized?  Repeated daily for a while.  Perhaps letting the fever break on its own, if it stayed at 100-101, would have resulted in a quicker convalescence. 

or, maybe not. 

That’s what I finally did. This was back in Feb 2021, still the OG Covid strain I think.

Kept treating intermittent low grade fever with Tylenol and aspirin, and it kept coming back every day. Fever was my worst symptom.

Read somewhere that your body needed to fight it off by itself, so on the 7th day said “fuck it” and didn’t take anything for the fever. Got up to 101.7 that day for the first time, but when it broke a couple of hours later, it was over. Felt like a million bucks the next morning. That was it.

Of course, this doesn’t in any way constitute medical advice. Your mileage may vary.

Reading all of these stories make me realize how lucky we were. And that's a big part of why I never really thought I had it.  Almost everyone I know that was vaxed/boosted and caught still had at least a couple of days of feeling like shit and not really wanting to get out of bed.  So I just kept chuggin along assuming I was dealing with something else. I'm over a week off from first feeling "off" (if there was a bad day it was last Thurs) and feel pretty much normal now. Worked out at around 90% today after taking it easy last couple of days.  Kids had 1.5 bad days then seemed fine.   Feel really lucky.

I’m not going back into a Stage 1 cave by any means, but I’m going to temporarily resume some COVID habits such as daily Vitamin C & D, elderberry, and lysine for me and my kids and, yes, masking. My daughter has finals next week, and my son and I have a trip to New York City on June 1, and I really don’t want to fuck those up if I can minimize our chances of catching this variant. Were it otherwise, I’d say come at me bro.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I caught the Omicron finally as well. Only symptoms were dry cough, slight congestion, and maybe some fatigue? I have two young kids though so I’m always tired. No fever (although I took Advil Cold and sinus to manage cough) and symptoms lasted 5 days.  I had the free at home test kits so I took one and it was positive. 

The rest of the family all caught it from me. Wife had similar symptoms which lasted a week (she tested positive). The kids kicked the deal in 2 or 3 days. We didn’t test them though.

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

I’m not going back into a Stage 1 cave by any means, but I’m going to temporarily resume some COVID habits such as daily Vitamin C & D, elderberry, and lysine for me and my kids and, yes, masking. My daughter has finals next week, and my son and I have a trip to New York City on June 1, and I really don’t want to fuck those up if I can minimize our chances of catching this variant. Were it otherwise, I’d say come at me bro.

I’m going to spit ball this and say most will have some variation of your strategy. The ounce of prevention, is worth a pound of cure applies here.

6 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

I have two young kids though so I’m always tired. 

Wah GIF

brother?

no idea how I haven’t caught this shit yet. Been traveling for work every other week since early Feb. 

Perhaps my unique diet of dank weed, dangerous amounts of coffee, and triple meat/chz whataburger (on TT with grilled onions and japs) is the secret recipe. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

39 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

Wah GIF

brother?

no idea how I haven’t caught this shit yet. Been traveling for work every other week since early Feb. 

Perhaps my unique diet of dank weed, dangerous amounts of coffee, and triple meat/chz whataburger (on TT with grilled onions and japs) is the secret recipe. 

I’m semi-convinced one reason I haven’t caught it is b/c of my cannabis intake.  (Also vaxxed and boosted.)

• Hook 'Em 1

I work in public virtually every day.  Got initial shot in hopes of getting people to STFU and moving on.  They didn't.

I'm not getting boosters every 30 minutes that may or may not work against the next variant/ panic attack of the day.   I'm just not.

Weed me out.  It's been that way from day one on this rock.

Edited by slorch

The current vaccines/boosters seem pretty ineffective against this variant. And by ineffective, I mean, they’re less likely to keep you from getting it. Whether they minimize symptoms is more questionable. Hospitalizations remain low, but I don’t know if that’s due to the vaccines/boosters, prior infection immunity, or this variant is that much weaker.

27 minutes ago, slorch said:

I work in public virtually every day.  Got initial shot in hopes of getting people to STFU and moving on.  They didn't.

I'm not getting boosters every 30 minutes that may or may not work against the next variant/ panic attack of the day.   I'm just not.

Weed me out.  It's been that way from day one on this rock.

Thanks for sharing your hissy fit. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Thanks for sharing your hissy fit. 

Calmer than yours.

Much.

I guess that’s the way things are these days.  Sharing a point of view and personal experience is a ‘hissy fit.’

Not so much.

Edited by slorch

27 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Gets a shot so ‘people’ will ‘stfu about it’.  Comes here to tell people about it.  Surprised people don’t stfu about it.  Slorch’d

so that wasn't my experience?

LOLz.  "Gotdammit dude.  follow the fucking narrative. You should be more scared!!!!!"

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

The current vaccines/boosters seem pretty ineffective against this variant. And by ineffective, I mean, they’re less likely to keep you from getting it.

Part of this is probably that the majority of people who wanted to get vaxxed did so some time ago and the immunity provided is waning. 

Hell, I'm almost 9 months out from my booster.

Edited by Deej

7 minutes ago, slorch said:

so that wasn't my experience?

LOLz.  "Gotdammit dude.  follow the fucking narrative. You should be more scared!!!!!"

It's not about fear, it's about applying prudent precautions so shit doesn't spiral out of control again. I haven't been wearing a facemask for some time, but after I came back from a business trip I had a mild fever and sniffles. My at-home COVID test said I was negative, but I went ahead and wore a mask in public until my symptoms went away.

I'm not SCARED(!!!), I'm trying to keep other people from getting sick or passing it along.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Calmer than yours.

Much.

I guess that’s the way things are these days.  Sharing a point of view and personal experience is a ‘hissy fit.’

Not so much.

2 hours ago, slorch said:

shot in hopes of getting people to STFU

2 hours ago, slorch said:

boosters every 30 minutes

The quoted selections are histrionics that you added to your “experience”

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Part of this is probably that the majority of people who wanted to get vaxxed did so some time ago and the immunity provided is waning. 

I'm six months out.  Not sure if it's a matter of immunity waning, or the variant saying fuck off to these vaccines, or a combination of both.  I do know anecdotally that a lot of folks who were fully on board with the first two shots and the first booster have been kicking the can on a fourth shot, either thinking "I'm good" or waiting on a more up-to-date vaccine that keeps up with the latest variants.

I'm six months out.  Not sure if it's a matter of immunity waning, or the variant saying fuck off to these vaccines, or a combination of both.  I do know anecdotally that a lot of folks who were fully on board with the first two shots and the first booster have been kicking the can on a fourth shot, either thinking "I'm good" or waiting on a more up-to-date vaccine that keeps up with the latest variants.

Have we received any guidance on a 4th shot yet? I got my booster in October or November when I also got my flu shot. Am I good for a year now? I haven’t seen anything on when/if I need a 4th shot.

1 hour ago, Homercles said:

If you’re trying to get people to not talk about it, then don’t talk about it.  

Cancel that opposing view.   LOL

It doesn't exist.

I thought it was over 65 or something.  I’m boosted as of august and caught it in January, so have until late summer to figure out what/when I’ll get another.  My Covid experience was day horizontal/useless, and another two days with a bad cold…same for my wife, with my two young kids (8/5) barely registering the sniffles.  

I ascribe the rapidity of our recovery from having the immune system primed from the shots.  

5 minutes ago, slorch said:

Cancel that opposing view.   LOL

It doesn't exist.

You’re welcome to your opposing view.  It’s shared by millions of Americans and now that my loved ones have gotten vaccines/boosters, you’re also welcome to take on whatever risk you’re comfortable with…and if you happen to catch a bad case of it, well enjoy the natural consequence.  

I was simply pointing out your collective statement of ‘I want to espouse my viewpoint without anyone stating theirs’.  Stay aggrieved my friend.  

Edited by Homercles
  • Hook 'Em 1

"Guys, why won't you reasonably participate in my totally earnest conversation about getting boosters every 30 minutes?!?!"

[/slorch]

There's definitely a reasonable conversation about vaccine and booster efficacy to be had. but when you start conversations with stupid shit like you do, don't be surprised when you're not a part of that reasonable conversation.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Hate said:

Have we received any guidance on a 4th shot yet? I got my booster in October or November when I also got my flu shot. Am I good for a year now? I haven’t seen anything on when/if I need a 4th shot.

I think technically it's recommended for the olds and fragile ("Honey, I think that's Italian.").  I don't think CVS is going to turn you away, but I don't believe the CDC has said fourth shot for err-body just yet.

1 hour ago, Deej said:

We got Moderna #3 in November and caught Omicron in March. 2.5 days of headache with some coughing. I don’t know if that better or worse than most unvaxxed fare against Omicron, but I’ll choose to believe that Moderna saved us from hospitalization or death. We better have some super immunity now, or a bat eating chinawoman is going to hear from me. 

I read the other day do a 4th shot if you’re over 50 or have one of the underlying health concerns.

Proud to join the party here. Pfizer x 2; Moderna x 1.

/csb

Wednesday, I feel a little off, like just not on my A game at work (remote) or making dinner, or whatever. Thursday, I have major congestion, watery eyes but feel fine. Decided to test obviously and it's a bingo. So now everyone is avoiding everyone else. I wake up last night at 3 and my chest is tight so I grab my rescue inhaler that I hadn't used in 9 months, take a few pulls and I can tell it helped. But after my lungs relaxed, awful phlemmy coughing started.

I manage to get a little more sleep and wake up feeling like I got hit by a truck. I've never had the flu in my life but know all the symptoms, and I think I had extreme versions of all of them: horrible aching, freezing and shivering one minute, burning up next, splitting headache, and the cough is somehow worsening. Plus, I realize I need my inhaler again and the O2 sensor. Fuck. I am winded after the 10 foot walk to the medicine drawer and just collapse in a sweaty pile.

Wife is super worried and makes me a virtual appt with doc. It takes about an hour but he took one look at me and said he was prescribing Paxlovid, but made me show him the O2 meter which never really got down close to 90%. Also, never cracked a fever at all. So weird. So today has progressed actually really well. I thought I was DYING this morning for about 5 hours. Had a little lunch, and I'm at least walking around and able to get on the computer a little.

I'll report back on the Pax. Now I'm pretty dizzy, fuck this shit. Oh, and doc did mention that they are seeing cases trending up in a big way the past 2-3 weeks. Not that we don't all know that but he sounded a little worried.

• Hook 'Em 2

Feel better! 

About the increase, and yeah I know we are a small county, but Hays announced a 14% increase in cases over the past few days. Nothing about hospitalizations. 

What is interesting is they stopped reporting awhile back, but yet here we are. 

Good news- Students are gone.

Bad news- River is PACKED. 

Had my booster in late January and caught a case last weekend from my kids. Both of my kids and ex had it, then I had to watch the kids because it hit my ex pretty hard so figured it was inevitable I would catch it. Felt like I had the flu for 3 days with a low grade fever. I'm now a week out from symptom onset but I still feel washed out all the time and am getting headaches at least once a day.

Best we can tell is my 10 yr old brought it home from school because it spread like crazy in his class.

So the cases per 100k for Austin msa continues to grow, from a low of around 40 to today’s posted number close to 150. And it’s not due to increased testing, yet because the graph of tests at the cdc site (not pictured) is still flat. 

but this graphic also shows that admissions per 100k has been flat throughout, with a small uptick the past couple of weeks. 

Little spring break hump also visible, interrupting the linearity for a few weeks.

5DB512C2-AE2B-4897-873B-D56537BDF1CD.png

Edited by Pato del Muerto

This shit is EVERYWHERE here in the northeast. I had a 460 in-person conference last week and we have known 75 cases from it - and that’s PCR tested so the number is probably above 110. We required vaccinations too. I have Covid (my post 5 day is tomorrow thankfully) and my wife now has it. It’s a fairly minor cold for us boosted folk but the sore throat feels like strep.

This will be in Texas within the month so Godspeed. 

• Hook 'Em 1

My time playing hide-and-seek has come to an end.  Allergy like symptoms and scratchy throat on Tuesday evening/ Wednesday morning.  Took a home test on Wed and that thing turned positive within seconds.

This is on par with most colds/ bad allergies I've had within the past 5 years.  Slight dry cough/ sometimes drippy nose & sore throat in the morning.  I'm sleeping fine and no fever.  Continued to work from home.

If this is where we settle with this virus, that would be ideal.

Fully vaccinated in March 2021, no booster.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

This will be in Texas within the month so Godspeed. 

It’s already here. This one feels like it’s getting me.

I’m going to a wedding reception this evening and I kinda hope I catch it there to get it out of the way before my NYC trip.

Day 3, and I am generally back to normal. Strange, after feeling like death 24 hours ago. I’m still a little stuffy and slight cough, but yeah…

On the third dose of Paxlovid (30 pills total in the prescription). It mentions one side effect is a metallic taste and they aren’t kidding, but I wouldn’t really call it metallic as much as just chemical. Unpleasant, but I’ll take it.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

There will def be a spike in reported hospitalizations, due in part to the “with, not for” phenomenon we saw in past waves. So don’t freak out about that.

That's one thing I wish they would delineate now.  Seems like it would not be that hard.