COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

Well I think we have it. Getting tested tomorrow. I got my booster Thursday night. Had PT th and F morning. Felt very beat up by noon Friday. Assumed it was just combo of shot and PT. Got home Friday and wife said I “looked like I had a fever” whatever that means. Checked and was at 102. Was still assuming it was booster related, but daughter started having headache and sore throat along with sinus issues and body aches. I’ve got a mildly sore t throat today, and then I get a text from one of my employees. Covid. Really bad booster timing on my part. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

There will def be a spike in reported hospitalizations, due in part to the “with, not for” phenomenon we saw in past waves. So don’t freak out about that.

They should be able to parse that out by now, and they hopefully won’t be slammed so hard as to not take the time. 

On 5/20/2022 at 6:29 PM, South Austin said:

I’m sure the level of notification and data collection has tanked, but I’d love to know how many people who have tested positive for this variant also caught omicron in late 2021/early 2022.

Refresh my memory, have you had it yet?  We were getting close to the last two in the dodge ball game last I remember.

Just now, South Austin said:

I’m still one of the few, the proud.

Me too...I probably just jinxed it.  I've been living life 100% normally as if this was 2019.  I've gone to indoor concerts, sporting events, restaurants, and bars.  I'm not really sure how my family and I have managed to not get it yet, but we haven't. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Hate said:

Me too...I probably just jinxed it.  I've been living life 100% normally as if this was 2019.  I've gone to indoor concerts, sporting events, restaurants, and bars.  I'm not really sure how my family and I have managed to not get it yet, but we haven't. 

Same and yes we are probably jinxing ourselves at this point. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I’m still one of the few, the proud.

Proud vs. just some stupid genetic immunological roll of the dice. That's what really seems to be at play at this point. I have watched folks all around us drop out, tripled vaxxed, not door knob lickers etc.  There is no apparent rhyme or reason. 

Same here. Thought it was our time when 2 of my daughter’s friends that she spent the night with after prom got it, but nothing. I’d say the power of bourbon but that doesn’t protect the rest of the family.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I'm still in the dodgeball game but I'm sure it's just a matter of time.  At this point I'm not taking any more precautions than I would have pre-March-2020.  I'm vaxed plus boosted but don't have any interest in getting another shot unless/until it's formulated specifically for potential upcoming variants.

My wife is also still in the game, but both of our kids have had it.  

That would suggest that for our family, it's tequila that provides the protection.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 5/21/2022 at 8:59 AM, Jackson P. Neighbors said:

Day 3, and I am generally back to normal. Strange, after feeling like death 24 hours ago. I’m still a little stuffy and slight cough, but yeah…

On the third dose of Paxlovid (30 pills total in the prescription). It mentions one side effect is a metallic taste and they aren’t kidding, but I wouldn’t really call it metallic as much as just chemical. Unpleasant, but I’ll take it.

I was reading the other day about the "rebound effect" apparently a lot of people are having with Paxlovid.   But apparently a lot of people feel better then when the treatment over feel shitty again a few days.   Hopefully not the case with you but something to be aware of if it does happen as it sounds like it is pretty common.

14 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Proud vs. just some stupid genetic immunological roll of the dice. That's what really seems to be at play at this point. I have watched folks all around us drop out, tripled vaxxed, not door knob lickers etc.  There is no apparent rhyme or reason. 

Go to Disney for a week.  No idea how we managed to avoid it before that trip but there was no escaping it there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, utee94 said:

I'm still in the dodgeball game but I'm sure it's just a matter of time.  At this point I'm not taking any more precautions than I would have pre-March-2020.  I'm vaxed plus boosted but don't have any interest in getting another shot unless/until it's formulated specifically for potential upcoming variants.

My wife is also still in the game, but both of our kids have had it.  

That would suggest that for our family, it's tequila that provides the protection.

This is basically where I am also.  Except none of the kids (all adult) have had it either.  Bourbon has been my salvation but not sure about my wife.  Her brother and elderly mother have not had it either but they’ve been way more cautious. 

5 hours ago, Skipper said:

Go to Disney for a week.  No idea how we managed to avoid it before that trip but there was no escaping it there. 

My sister in law just picked up a case from the M-O-U-S-E last week.

Coworker tested positive Thursday. She had been around me several times during the week and I felt pretty crappy Thursday and Friday. Came home at took an at home test Friday night. Strange result. Where the positive line is supposed to be was a brighter white than the rest of the test strip with bright red seeping out above and below it. Haven't seen that before. Took another one today and was obviously negative. Still feel run down. Who the fuck knows?

5 minutes ago, Deej said:

Coworker tested positive Thursday. She had been around me several times during the week and I felt pretty crappy Thursday and Friday. Came home at took an at home test Friday night. Strange result. Where the positive line is supposed to be was a brighter white than the rest of the test strip with bright red seeping out above and below it. Haven't seen that before. Took another one today and was obviously negative. Still feel run down. Who the fuck knows?

It’s AIDS.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Deej said:

Get your affairs in order.

• Haha 1

COVID finally got me.  Got it from my cousins last week when I met them up for lunch.  They probably got it from the college graduation they went to a few days before (fucking OU 🤬).  Felt like crap last Wednesday and Thursday.  Feeling much better this week but still dealing with congestion and a sore throat.  Hopeful to be back in the office on Thursday.  Can only be so productive working from home. 😅

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I still never got it, or at least enough to pop positive on a test. The whole rest of my family and wife's family got it, but I never tested positive despite having a low grade fever and sore muscles for a day or two. It knocked my wife out for a week and a half, and I didn't do anything to try to avoid it, so I was definitely exposed.

4 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:

Have not had that pleasure yet. Inhaler, yes, vent, no. Hope to keep it that way.

In all seriousness, 12 days seems like an outlier based on my anecdotal evidence of folks in my circles who have caught this latest variant.  Have you been taking any of the COVID treatment medications, or just rubbing some dirt on it?  Hope you get better soon.

Read a piece this morning hypothesizing that the increased % of vaccinated hospitalizations may be attributed to so many unvaxed having contracted omicron just a few months ago and still sporting post-infection immunity, thus suppressing that demo at this time. 
it makes sense, and as far as I can tell the hospitalization numbers are still quite low in most or all areas (which does lead to large % changes that can be used as clickbait) for both vaxed and unvaxed/under vaxed cohorts. 

28 minutes ago, South Austin said:

In all seriousness, 12 days seems like an outlier based on my anecdotal evidence of folks in my circles who have caught this latest variant.  Have you been taking any of the COVID treatment medications, or just rubbing some dirt on it?  Hope you get better soon.

It is an outlier. Part of the problem is that, with covid rates so low, and with flu going around, I assumed it was a cold or flu for a week before I finally took a covid test. Once I found out it was covid, my doctor put me on a regimen but told me it is probably too late to have much effect.

On the positive side, I haven't had a bad time with it. It really has been (and still is) like a bad cold. If I take dayquil every 4 hours, it doesn't impact me very much.

1 minute ago, justhookit said:

Dad is still here in Covid jail. This is day 10 and he tested positive again today. I told him to stop testing. He feels fine, hasn’t had a fever in over a week but he is still tired. His wife won’t let him come home without a negative test. WTF?

That sucks.  Is it at least a faint line?  I had a faint line last Weds around noon then a clear test Thurs night before bed.  Had to keep pushing back a Dentist appt until I tested negative.

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

Clever girl.

She’s a bitch from hell. Always has been and we’ve never gotten along, had a blowup recently to the point where I will never talk to her again. She accused me and my girlfriend of trying to kill him by taking him fishing. And filming that on a drone. Whatever. She hasn’t even tried to contact me while he’s been here. It’s refreshing. My girlfriend keeps joking that Dad is faking positives just so he doesn’t have to go home.

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, Skipper said:

That sucks.  Is it at least a faint line?  I had a faint line last Weds around noon then a clear test Thurs night before bed.  Had to keep pushing back a Dentist appt until I tested negative.

He said it was fainter today than it has been. This was his 4th test so hopefully that’s a good sign.

Got prescribed paxlovid and took my first dose yesterday morning. Started feeling a little better in a few hours. Could actually breath last night when I slept. O2 was hanging around 95 and is back up 99 this morning, fever seems to be gone, and heart rate is back down to normal. 10 yo seems to be doing better to, although still a low fever. 

We are up to at least 10 cases at work from this, plus some of the family members of those 10. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I thought my number had finally been called.   Woke up Sunday with a scratchy throat, then felt more congested as the day went on.  Been pretty congested the last couple of days.  Throat is not sore, mild cough, some sneezing and runny nose.    Got a PCR test Sunday, results came back today, negative for both covid and the flu. 

Guess it's just the good ole common cold. 

Still covid free,  for now. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Mea Maxima Culpa. Thank you for the correction. 

I still like Grouper. 

To be fair, I did find a blog post that said “trooper” has overtaken “trouper” in texts as the most common spelling, and that they are basically interchangeable anymore.  And that both troop and troupe have the same etymology. 

…and now I want a fried grouper sandwich but am nowhere near a coast. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

45 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Dad is still here in Covid jail. This is day 10 and he tested positive again today. I told him to stop testing. He feels fine, hasn’t had a fever in over a week but he is still tired. His wife won’t let him come home without a negative test. WTF?

this post got me looking at the current cdc guidelines, Jesus. What a clusterfuck especially if you look them up on mobile.

Sorry if that was too cr, but to keep this austin related, assuming guidelines there are nonexistent as long as hospital rates are low? Heading back to ATX in June so not sure what to expect. Will I get weird looks for wearing a mask at H‑E‑B? I don’t wear one at bars here but for some reason around the olds, the snot rocket kids, people mindlessly staring at produce, and generally “preservative” design of supermarkets, I always wear one there. Not sayin I have to wear one but just curious about general feelings in the Austin area.