Jump to content
You are going to notice some weird shit for a few days. Sorry ahead of time. ×
justhookit

COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

Recommended Posts

29 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

I think there is a big wave already underway in Texas and it's only showing up in the hospitalized data.

The hospital numbers for both Texas and Travis County are up sharply but overall case numbers are not spiking in the same way.  Pandemic fatigue has set in and people are just blowing off getting tested.

Now would be a great time to deploy those 15 minute $5 tests.  Where are they?

 

That was my thought too, but if that were the case we'd almost definitely see a matching increase in percent of tests positive. That has remained flat. And the raw number of tests is actually at its highest since early September. So it's not testing fatigue.

I can't make sense of it either. Is it running around a bunch of old folks' homes and it's just not getting publicity? I guess that would show up in BrazilHorn's numbers, though.

Really odd. But odd is the name of the game with this thing.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Hook 'Em 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, BradInATX said:

When put to a chart, those numbers look kinda rough. Seems like we might be fucked.

wefucked.PNG.8cc55146cb8ee97c7479603cafd6b2d9.PNG

 

BRB going to Costco to buy the 10 year supply of Jim Bakker food and 20 years worth of booze.

 

Crude overlay with the case counts.

Picture1.png

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could it be more Antigen tests are being done that count towards amount of tests done (thus maintaining testing levels) but Texas still not reporting antigen positive tests results? That could explain the discrepancy between cases and hospitalizations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Corpus still basically flat, but yeah I’m about a week away or so to get back to the point that caused us to start this thread. Bad news is our baseline is way higher than the summer spike, good news is that everyone here is still being pretty damned good with the masks and we all know what to do if it spikes hard again.

we were about 2 weeks behind down here during the last spike, so I’ll be more interested in our data at the end of the month. Some good stuff here - https://www.cctexas.com/sites/default/files/10-20-20-TAMUCC-COVID-19.pdf

 

 

  • Hook 'Em 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Indoor trampoline park with a bunch of kids? Yeah, my money is on that place being a COVID factory.
Glad you made it through. Sounds terrifying. Both the COVID and the trampoline park. 
Yeah, that shit sounds like bad idea jeans. 0.0% chance you'd find me in one of those right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TTU13 said:

Could it be more Antigen tests are being done that count towards amount of tests done (thus maintaining testing levels) but Texas still not reporting antigen positive tests results? That could explain the discrepancy between cases and hospitalizations.

That's possible. They do report them combined. But the testing levels have been pretty steady for about 3 weeks now, and suddenly hospitalizations jumped. It's really weird.

There's a dude that posts on Reddit Austin every day and has some good graphs and charts. You can see that testing has been pretty stable since mid September (bars) and the positive percentage has been flat as well (line). 

 

tests.thumb.JPG.09f6ee054377e3eeebfc53d72bc8e956.JPG
 

If you look at Anastasis' chart where he superimposed cases vs. hospitalizations, you can see that it's the first real divergence of the two datasets. It's really weird. 

  • Hook 'Em 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Lobo said:

No man, there could have been old lettuce in one of those things.  Contain yourself! 

This hospitalization trend is disturbing.  Seemed like at least that part of the equation was flattening out.  And half my dumbass fucking neighbors are planning a high-contact Halloween (no fisting!)

Why are so many smart people so fucking dumb?  What is possibly left to prove with this thing?  Why are certain people this stubborn?  What's left to gain by spreading this thing when we've already made it well over halfway to the end?  

Because the dumbfucks do not trust any numbers that are being published. They still think it is a worldwide conspiracy to destroy MAGA and to enrich the hospitals.

  • Hook 'Em 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
On 10/17/2020 at 10:56 PM, Pato del Muerto said:
How do you quantify your sense of smell?

Mattress scale.

My taint.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
On 10/17/2020 at 10:56 PM, Pato del Muerto said:
How do you quantify your sense of smell?

Mattress scale.

I highly recommend not smelling your mom's mattress this week.  Shit got weird last night.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is apparently some problem with the DSHS Region 7 case database right now and they are limited on what new data they can send to the counties until it gets fixed.  I'm not sure how accurate the new case numbers are right now with that going on.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's been almost a week since I have tested positive. I've been drinking a lot of those emergen c packs and sniffing a lot of Afrin. I don't feel horrible but I don't feel great. My parents have fully recovered and they said that was the worst 10 days of their life. They describe how they felt and it doesn't come anywhere near what I felt. Age is huge in this thing, I think my Mother is in better shape than me. definitely my stepdad, but I havent had fever or felt like a truck ran over me. 

  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, kevwun said:

There is apparently some problem with the DSHS Region 7 case database right now and they are limited on what new data they can send to the counties until it gets fixed.  I'm not sure how accurate the new case numbers are right now with that going on.

Wouldn't the case numbers flow the opposite direction? Counties push up counts to state region level?  I don't know, was just how I assume the reporting would flow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It flows both ways and is an all around clusterfuck.  DSHS has to sort and assign the cases for people who test positive in counties that they don't live in because the counties wouldn't find out about those cases otherwise.  Counties do keep track of their own cases also, but DSHS adds or subtracts from that number when they get around to processing the new cases.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really weird shit in the numbers yesterday. I am showing on one site where Travis County went up 69 cases. The main Travis County dashboard which breaks out by age group shows an aggregate increase of 969 which cannot be right and is driven by an purported increase in 907 people in the 60 to 69 cohort.  The rest add up to 62 so it is an increase of 7 in all likelihood which tracks which what typical day over day increase for this cohort has been. (I have manually adjusted this cohort in my table below). Slight uptick in the 60+ crowd vs their normal contribution (leading indicator of admits & death)

31 new admits for hospitals in Travis County. 5th straight day of an increase and the highest single day since Aug 15th. 133 hospitalizations total which is the highest since Aug 31st.

Age Bracket <1 1 to 9 10 to 19 20 to 29 30 to 39 40 to 49 50 to 59 60 to 69 70 to 79 >80 Total
New Cases 10/21 vs 10/20 0 3 10 20 7 10 6 7 4 2 69
% of Daily Change 0.00% 4.35% 14.49% 28.99% 10.14% 14.49% 8.70% 10.14% 5.80% 2.90%  
% of Total Cases 0.52% 2.92% 9.54% 26.98% 20.81% 15.86% 11.37% 6.45% 3.25% 2.31%   31,228
                     
                       
                       
                       
Edited by BrazilHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just noticed in the detailed data report for Dallas there is fine print that reads:  "{Note: Due to a database system changeover, hospitalization data for Week 39- 41 are delayed, but is anticipated to be fully included next week.}".  Considering data for those weeks already show to be "flat" it's almost certain hospitalizations have been rising and just not reflected in the data.  Absolutely fucking ridiculous that 9+ months into this thing we can't even get reporting figured out.   What a joke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, kevwun said:

It flows both ways and is an all around clusterfuck.  DSHS has to sort and assign the cases for people who test positive in counties that they don't live in because the counties wouldn't find out about those cases otherwise.  Counties do keep track of their own cases also, but DSHS adds or subtracts from that number when they get around to processing the new cases.

LOL.  Of course. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty much everyone in my area is back in full don't give a fuck mode. 

My uncle that has diabetes and two previous heart attacks got covid earlier in month. To our surprise, he was over it in a week. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has there been any more news about the study that said a certain Neanderthal gene could make you more likely to have a bad case of the virus?

Edited by kevwun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Has there been anymore news about the study that said  a certain Neanderthal gene could make you more susceptible to the virus?

Surly would have already been quarantined if this was true.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Anastasis said:

 

Crude overlay with the case counts.

 

 

Picture1.png

hopefully we can stay in the mustard zone but it looks like we will hit 70's kitchen counter zone.

  • Hook 'Em 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

31 new admits for hospitals in Travis County. 5th straight day of an increase and the highest single day since Aug 15th. 133 hospitalizations total which is the highest since Aug 31st.

This better not impact schools, because I’m going to get pretty ragey with the fucking no-mask idiots if my kids have to come home.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I just noticed in the detailed data report for Dallas there is fine print that reads:  "{Note: Due to a database system changeover, hospitalization data for Week 39- 41 are delayed, but is anticipated to be fully included next week.}".  Considering data for those weeks already show to be "flat" it's almost certain hospitalizations have been rising and just not reflected in the data.  Absolutely fucking ridiculous that 9+ months into this thing we can't even get reporting figured out.   What a joke.

It’s a feature, not a bug!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

This better not impact schools, because I’m going to get pretty ragey with the fucking no-mask idiots if my kids have to come home.  

I think we are still in stage 3. May impact school sports. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of schools. Here is the latest roll up from TEA in terms of CV19 information.

~2.1M kids in school as of 9/28 (CV19 reporting is through 10/20 however)

There were in total 2,302 cases last week among students and 1,201 among staff. Only 126 of these 3,503 cases are attributed to being on campus (to be fair a decent number aren't attributed at all). Only 3.51% of cases have been verified to have been caught on campus. 0.11% of the total student population caught CV19 last week at all.

(or at least have a positive test)

If I hold staff numbers flat at the 800k number from school reopening there were 0.15% of staff that caught CV19 last week overall.

The total numbers since reopening look like:

Students 7,331 (0.34% Have caught CV19 (not at school but at all))

Staff 3,876 (0.48% Have caught CV19 (not at school but at all))

We send our 11 year old back next week and our 13 year old back 11/2 (once middle schools start to actually change class etc)

I don't believe that based on the last 5 weeks of data I have been tracking from TEA that there is a material risk to them going back (more so than from other shit they have caught at school over the years: flu, pinkeye, strep etc)

You all can decide how you see fit. Just sharing the data and my logic towards it. Totally appreciate it is an individual decision.

-edit AISD has had 23 cases between staff and students with 0 of them having been confirmed as happening on campus.

Edited by BrazilHorn
included AISD info
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, kevwun said:

Has there been any more news about the study that said a certain Neanderthal gene could make you more likely to have a bad case of the virus?

Anyone check on Chris Ash? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BrazilHorn said:

-edit AISD has had 23 cases between staff and students with 0 of them having been confirmed as happening on campus.

My kid has been going since they reopened, and they were very limited for the first two weeks (around half-a-dozen kids) , then opened up more last week and this week (think his class has over a dozen kids now).

November 2, AISD opens up to any and all kids whose parents want them to return.

Insert two-week joke here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

My kid has been going since they reopened, and they were very limited for the first two weeks (around half-a-dozen kids) , then opened up more last week and this week (think his class has over a dozen kids now).

November 2, AISD opens up to any and all kids whose parents want them to return.

Insert two-week joke here.

Fingers crossed. We are sending our 11 year old back a week earlier than 11/2 just because he needs it. Our 8th grader has a little more discipline and wants to wait until they actually are switching classes etc.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Fingers crossed. We are sending our 11 year old back a week earlier than 11/2 just because he needs it. Our 8th grader has a little more discipline and wants to wait until they actually are switching classes etc.

One of our kids' teachers said the majority of kids whose parents wanted them back at their school, for now, are back, and that we won't see substantially more in-person students until later this year, assuming things die down, or next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

99 cases yesterday for Travis County so still in the 0-100 range Travis has moved to. 20 admits (down from 31 the prior day) so hopefully we see progress here in future days.

Skewing a hair younger yesterday on the case load but not overwhelmingly so.

Age Bracket <1 1 to 9 10 to 19 20 to 29 30 to 39 40 to 49 50 to 59 60 to 69 70 to 79 >80 Total
New Cases 10/22 vs 10/21 2 5 14 24 21 14 9 5 3 2 99
% of Daily Change 2.02% 5.05% 14.14% 24.24% 21.21% 14.14% 9.09% 5.05% 3.03% 2.02%  
% of Total Cases 0.52% 2.92% 9.55% 26.97% 20.81% 15.85% 11.37% 6.45% 3.25% 2.31%   31,327

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...