COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

6 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

Anytime the hospitalization rate in an area is projected to exceed capacity due to the spread of viruses, that area should institute a mask mandate.  Wearing masks indoors in public areas is a proven low/no cost effective way to reduce the spread of viruses.  If you think wearing a mask indoors in public areas is a burden, you are a fucking pussy.  If you think masks don’t help prevent the spread of viruses like the one that causes COVID, then you are a fucking dumbass.

That would be awesome, but our state leadership has said no (you can discuss why they did in CR).

The best we can do is be pro-active ourselves, and/or use some kind of peer pressure of sorts.

• Rage+1 1

And I'll be an asshole and say that I hope a bunch of those anti-vaxx/conspiracy and Qanon types get it and scare the shit out of their fellow anti-vaxx/conspiracy/qanon friends.

It's very easy for those fuckheads to pretend it's not any worse than the flu, and that it's no big deal, but start having their friends/family drop like flies and end up in the hospital, and see how fast their anuses pucker up

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, crash_davis said:

The people you listed are mostly only hurting themselves. These antivax selfish pricks are allowing Covid to hang around and mutate indefinitely. They are allowing other mostly eradicated diseases to come back. The sooner they all die, the sooner we can go back to normal.

And they are fucking with our economy.  We could keep shit open if people would just do the simple things.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Hanrahan said:

Wonder if this guy was vaccinated?

E6r_p9OX0AQ1hTy.jpg

E6sBA2AWQAgPqEj.jpg

Pastor in Corsicana.  No doubt he responsible for others getting sick and maybe even dying.  

He'll probably survive and say it was all Gods will.  I don't hope he dies but fuck him

Edited by Post Oak

9 minutes ago, ZB'Tejas said:

My parent's pastor got Covid late last year and died.

Same happened with somebody I know in Oklahoma last year - their pastor got it and died.  When I saw them posting about it on FB, I checked the church's FB page, and there was a video of a service from a week or so before, and no masks and everybody packed in. The urge to post a snarky comment was strong. 

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Same happened with somebody I know in Oklahoma last year - their pastor got it and died.  When I saw them posting about it on FB, I checked the church's FB page, and there was a video of a service from a week or so before, and no masks and everybody packed in. The urge to post a snarky comment was strong. 

bless their hearts

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

And I'll be an asshole and say that I hope a bunch of those anti-vaxx/conspiracy and Qanon types get it and scare the shit out of their fellow anti-vaxx/conspiracy/qanon friends.

It's very easy for those fuckheads to pretend it's not any worse than the flu, and that it's no big deal, but start having their friends/family drop like flies and end up in the hospital, and see how fast their anuses pucker up

They will just blame the vaccinated for shedding mRNA particles onto the true patriots. 

• Haha 1

Hays. I don't have your numbers but seems like most of our bad cases go to Austin. Sorry for partying on the river. 

Hays County continues to see an uptick in active COVID-19 cases with the count nearly reaching 400 as of Monday. 
The Hays County Local Health Department tallied 73 new lab-confirmed cases, 20 additional recoveries, seven hospitalizations and two hospital discharges on Monday, which included information from July 17-19. 
The county considers 395 active cases — 53 more than Friday. Hays County saw its lowest active count this year at 125 during its June 8-9 report. 

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

In-law already pulled that shit with us - "I CAN'T BE AROUND YOU BECAUSE YOU ARE SHEDDING THE VIRUS AND COULD KILL ME".

This was almost 3 months after we were vaccinated.

Vine Ok GIF

I fucking wish. If this were the case I would be booking my spot at every CPAC rally for the next year

• Hook 'Em 1

What's the math on this?  Had we gotten to herd immunity earlier (either had Covid-19, got the full vacc, or both)......how much of the variant could have been nipped in the bud?  

16 minutes ago, Lobo said:

What's the math on this?  Had we gotten to herd immunity earlier (either had Covid-19, got the full vacc, or both)......how much of the variant could have been nipped in the bud?  

As a non-scientist I am not sure this can be answered. 

I am sure some statistician will give some numbers but until we have an understanding of how it mutates it’s all SWAG. 
Scientific Wild Ass Guess.  

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

In-law already pulled that shit with us - "I CAN'T BE AROUND YOU BECAUSE YOU ARE SHEDDING THE VIRUS AND COULD KILL ME".

This was almost 3 months after we were vaccinated.

Vine Ok GIF

Direct result of the March/April media blitz that vaccinated people need to keep wearing masks because they might still be carriers. 
Data since then has proven this incorrect, but the damage was done.  Along with the “why risk the shots if I gotta wear a mask anyway?” crowd and the “if it really worked they wouldn’t make you keep wearing a mask” crowd. 

1 hour ago, Shaddie said:

As a non-scientist I am not sure this can be answered. 

I am sure some statistician will give some numbers but until we have an understanding of how it mutates it’s all SWAG. 
Scientific Wild Ass Guess.  

This is a worldwide pandemic. Herd immunity in the US is spitting in the ocean

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Travis county hospitalizations now fail to mean shit to me until they parse out the county of origin. 

Which sucks because in a world where the vaccine is available and cutting down severe cases, absolute infection numbers are also meaningless.

All that matters is severe cases within a specific geo, measured by hospitalization/ICU/death, broken out by vax vs. non-vax.  These are the metrics we need in order to gauge community impact.

• Hook 'Em 1

Direct result of the March/April media blitz that vaccinated people need to keep wearing masks because they might still be carriers. 
Data since then has proven this incorrect, but the damage was done.  Along with the “why risk the shots if I gotta wear a mask anyway?” crowd and the “if it really worked they wouldn’t make you keep wearing a mask” crowd. 

Umm, no, that particular belief is from the nutbar idea that the VACCINE makes you shed viruses (and if you weren’t vaccinated, that wouldn’t happen). It’s breathtakingly nonsensical….and millions believe it.
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Which sucks because in a world where the vaccine is available and cutting down severe cases, absolute infection numbers are also meaningless.

All that matters is severe cases within a specific geo, measured by hospitalization/ICU/death, broken out by vax vs. non-vax.  These are the metrics we need in order to gauge community impact.

Is add symptomatic disease as well. But yes, what you lay out are the hard endpoints. 

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Umm, no, that particular belief is from the nutbar idea that the VACCINE makes you shed viruses (and if you weren’t vaccinated, that wouldn’t happen). It’s breathtakingly nonsensical….and millions believe it.

First I’m hearing of this particular flavor of idiocy. 

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

First I’m hearing of this particular flavor of idiocy. 

I guess you aren’t on any social media.  
I’m not so I don’t hear stupid people repeat stupid things.

I wonder if this is an advantage?

4 hours ago, Lobo said:

Here is my un-scientific thinking on this. Don't think I know what I am talking about because I am not an expert.

Consider some illness that has a natural R value of, say, six.  That means that if I get it and no one is vaccinated or immune, I give it to six more people.  And they each give it to six more, and so on.  Exponential growth.

Now, let's say that 50% of the population can't get this thing.  They are vaccinated or they've had it before.  So of my six randomly selected victims, it bounces off of three who are immune, but still gets three morons, uh, unvaccinated, folks sick.  The R value is now three.  Three morons. (and some unfortunate folks that can't get the vax).

The illness will spread exponentially until the R value goes below one.   R value of 1.01 -- you are screwed.  R value of 0.99 -- it will not spread.  So, if the delta variant has a natural R value around 6, then we need more than 5 out of 6 people vaccinated or exposed to get that R value below one.  Even if a super-delta variant shows up with an R of 10, we are good if more than 9 out of 10 people are immune.

Immunity may wane over time, so boosters may be needed to keep the immune population high enough to keep each variant's R value below one.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Gave it up in April. Life is so much nicer. 

Wife & I never got into it, except for my participation here, TOS, some Las Vegas message boards, and a bunch of gun forums. 
As far as nutty Covid/vax bullshit, the gun forums are really overrun with it.

29 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

What is going on around Temple? They've had 2 days in the past week with over 300 new cases. Is that Ft Hood or citizens?

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/us/bell-texas-covid-cases.html

Turns out that a bunch of unvaccinated kids are an EXCELLENT transmission vector for the virus. Throw in some summer camps and sovereign citizen bullshit, and baby you got a stew goin

sounds like Travis Co. going to Stage 4 is imminent. tomorrow? if my gym starts requiring masks again...😟 fml

and saw this..."Almost all of the cases we’re seeing right now, through cases investigations, are unvaccinated,” Dr. Walkes (Travis County health official) said. 

you know...fuck you if you refuse a vaccine. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, mchookem said:

sounds like Travis Co. going to Stage 4 is imminent. tomorrow? if my gym starts requiring masks again...😟 fml

and saw this..."Almost all of the cases we’re seeing right now, through cases investigations, are unvaccinated,” Dr. Walkes (Travis County health official) said. 

you know...fuck you if you refuse a vaccine. 

The dichotomy is becoming undeniably stark.  If you are vaccinated, your chances of contracting COVID and dying/becoming seriously ill are staggeringly low.  If you are not vaccinated, the numbers are.....quite different.

• Hook 'Em 1

i will do whatever it takes to kick the shit outta this virus but i have to say after tasting normal life again - FUCK ALL YALL ANTI-VAXXERS! but goddamn im glad they didnt get to freeride into herd immunity like so many planned. fuck around and shut down our economy again, it will permanently destroy the RNC and Fox News.- and thats why both have changed their tune as of yesterday.

as for others - i found out some  of my extended family, democrats, had not been vaxxed. one of the cousins used to come stay at our house for the summer. he wanted to come this summer but was not vaxxed. we made it  a requirement to come. he got vaxxed and then came down. and then the other 6 members of his family got their first shot. im just like goddammit people. 

• Hook 'Em 5

On 6/30/2021 at 6:43 PM, BrazilHorn said:

Last update. It has been a crazy year of updating this info but I do believe it is time to retire.

Only 22 cases today overall and the demographic data is borked as Travis County is having some issues, so with that I bid this thread adieu.

56 people hospitalized.

This thread definitely served a good purpose and I appreciate all of the positive feedback y'all passed my way over the past 12 months.

Here's hoping that more and more folks get vaccinated and that the Delta variant has no impact on Texas.

Hook 'em Horns!

This post has aged well.

• Rage+1 4