COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

On 8/1/2021 at 7:54 AM, GreenspointTexas said:

Just under 2% death rate for breakthrough infections? Damn. Small sample size but was hoping for a smaller number. That number is on par (1.8%) for regular covid death rate… which I guess may be good considering Delta? Lotta questions

From what I saw from the Texas Tribune, going back to the beginning of the year, there were something like 45 vaccinated deaths.  90% were elderly.  Vast majority also had underlying conditions.  Numbers out of the UK show that a vaxxed 80 year old has the same risk factor now as an unvaxxed 50 year old.  Vaccines work.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, texasdago said:

From what I saw from the Texas Tribune, going back to the beginning of the year, there were something like 45 vaccinated deaths.  90% were elderly.  Vast majority also had underlying conditions.  

Let's hope these numbers hold steady.  Not happy about any vaccinated deaths, but better for overall confidence in the vaccines that an overwhelming majority of the relatively small number of vaccinated deaths occur among the already vulnerable population.  If it was a greater number of otherwise healthy younger vaccinated people or children below 12, I'd have greater cause for concern.

Full on outbreak at my kids preschool. Luckily we ended a week and a half ago. During this past week, 3 teachers in 3 different classrooms and multiple students/friends of my kids tested positive. Director sent out an email on friday saying masks are now required again, but only for staff and parents. My kids were the only kids in their class that wore masks. They just turned 5 last month

my kids havent stopped wearing masks at school and indoors in public since last march. I have a feeling more are gonna test positive from Goddard School in the Heights

• Rage+1 2

5 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Full on outbreak at my kids preschool. Luckily we ended a week and a half ago. During this past week, 3 teachers in 3 different classrooms and multiple students/friends of my kids tested positive. Director sent out an email on friday saying masks are now required again, but only for staff and parents. My kids were the only kids in their class that wore masks. They just turned 5 last month

my kids havent stopped wearing masks at school and indoors in public since last march. I have a feeling more are gonna test positive from Goddard School in the Heights

I hope I'm wrong but I think schools are going to see constant cycles of positive cases with teachers that lead to temp closures, or remote learning.

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I hope I'm wrong but I think schools are going to see constant cycles of positive cases with teachers that lead to temp closures, or remote learning.

sure would be helpful if we could require facemask usage in schools... But its ok because kids can't get covid [/GRUhorn]

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

8 minutes ago, Captainant said:

sure would be helpful if we could require facemask usage in schools... But its ok because kids can't get covid [/GRUhorn]

Mandated masks won't happen unless we see the death rate go to unprecedented levels and even then, the kids would already be voluntarily masked to 95% if not checked out of school.

20 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Again, I always appreciate context.  Do you know if any of the cases of teachers or children involved severe symptoms or hospitalizations?  I'm guessing they don't easily share that information, but wondering if you knew.

3 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Again, I always appreciate context.  Do you know if any of the cases of teachers or children involved severe symptoms or hospitalizations?  I'm guessing they don't easily share that information, but wondering if you knew.

Two of the kids that are friends with my twins are both minimal symptoms (coughing and runny nose). Not sure about the teachers, but almost all of them are under 35 at the school they are at.

I have no clue how to take care of your kid if youre a parent and your kid is positive, without catching Rona

3 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

I have no clue how to take care of your kid if youre a parent and your kid is positive, without catching Rona

Yeah, that has to suck.  Maybe one parent sucks it up and quarantines with the kid, hoping for the best. 

I remember the last time one of my kids got the flu.  My then-wife and I both took turns taking care of our son, and I was sure that one or both of us was going to catch it, but we never did.  COVID, of course, is much more easily transmittable than the flu, especially this Delta variant.

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

It's a bit different since your kids are 5 and ours was 15.  But (last December, before vaccination was an option), we quarantined inside our quarantine.  Both kids were in their rooms.  Wife and I were downstairs.  We took meals upstairs, and we wore masks when we were up there.  If kids had to come downstairs, everyone was in masks.  His symptoms were only a headache and it was gone within a day of his testing positive.  The rest of us managed not to get it.  TLDR, isolate if you can and wear masks when you're around each other.

Also, I've notice more people coughing lately too.  Two of my work friends (vaccinated) were sick a couple of weeks ago.  One was out for several days and got tested.  Negative for COVID19.  Positive for some other coronavirus (OC43).  So there's that.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

It's a bit different since your kids are 5 and ours was 15.  But (last December, before vaccination was an option), we quarantined inside our quarantine.  Both kids were in their rooms.  Wife and I were downstairs.  We took meals upstairs, and we wore masks when we were up there.  If kids had to come downstairs, everyone was in masks.  His symptoms were only a headache and it was gone within a day of his testing positive.  The rest of us managed not to get it.  TLDR, isolate if you can and wear masks when you're around each other.
Also, I've notice more people coughing lately too.  Two of my work friends (vaccinated) were sick a couple of weeks ago.  One was out for several days and got tested.  Negative for COVID19.  Positive for some other coronavirus (OC43).  So there's that.
Yep, this basically. It's doable, we did it for an 8 yr old over xmas break, really sucked for the kid but isolated and wore masks. 5-6 yr olds might be tough but it's doable as well, assuming your kids are well behaved and listen,ha. Which I get is rare for any kids these days, especially elementary age...

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, ballrific said:

Yep, this basically. It's doable, we did it for an 8 yr old over xmas break, really sucked for the kid but isolated and wore masks. 5-6 yr olds might be tough but it's doable as well, assuming your kids are well behaved and listen,ha. Which I get is rare for any kids these days, especially elementary age...

I should add that quarantining inside the quarantine really sucks.

OK, talk me off the ledge here. 

I recall the initial RCTs claimed the vaccines were around 95% effective in preventing hospitalizations. Even with Delta, I've read they are still highly effective in preventing hospitalizations (although one recent report from the Israelis claimed it was much lower - not sure if that was cases or hospitalizations).

In any event, if hospitalizations in Houston are roughly the same now (with ~50% of the population vaxxed) as they were in the winter (with ~0% of the population vaxxed), and it's almost the same story in Austin (or will be soon), then how can the vaccines be anywhere close to as effective against hospitalizations as claimed?  Or, put another way, if hospitalizations are "99% unvaccinated people" as I keep reading, and the unvaxxed are now about 50% of the population (as opposed to 100%), shouldn't hospitalizations be - I don't know - about half of what they were in the winter wave?  

4 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

I recall the initial RCTs claimed the vaccines were around 95% effective in preventing hospitalizations. Even with Delta, I've read they are still highly effective in preventing hospitalizations (although one recent report from the Israelis claimed it was much lower - not sure if that was cases or hospitalizations).

In any event, if hospitalizations in Houston are roughly the same now (with ~50% of the population vaxxed) as they were in the winter (with ~0% of the population vaxxed), and it's almost the same story in Austin (or will be soon), then how can the vaccines be anywhere close to as effective against hospitalizations as claimed?  Or, put another way, if hospitalizations are "99% unvaccinated people" as I keep reading, and the unvaxxed are now about 50% of the population (as opposed to 100%), shouldn't hospitalizations be - I don't know - about half of what they were in the winter wave?  

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

It's a better virus at infecting people.  Think about it the other way.  If Delta had hit in December, 2x as many people would have gotten it, and thus 2x would have been hosptialized as there actually were.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bschoolprof said:

There's a shitload of unvaccinated dumbasses out there. Previously, the mitigating behavior in the form of masks and social distancing was preventing COVID from getting even worse than it was. Once we had vaccines going into arms and some places started to go back to 100% normal (despite being at best 30-40% fully vaccinated) and removed the mitigating strategies - surprise surprise, we are seeing a huge spike in COVID cases and hospitalizations from the unvaccinated dumbasses.

Sure, it's "burning through" those groups and I guess it will eventually "just go away on its own like a miracle", but in the meantime they're turbofucking our hospitals and medical system at large.

If we had continued with masking and social distancing and the rest of the successful COVID mitigation strategies, the severity of this wave probably would be about half of what it was before. But we aren't so lucky. Hope you don't have any kids too young to get vaccinated or are expecting your kids to be in-person schooling again.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Delta is far more contagious than the OG strain we had.

9 minutes ago, South Austin said:

With the governor's order prohibiting a mask mandate, what exactly are the Stage 5 "restrictions"?

I'm curious about this as well.  I'm guessing just limiting how many people can gather in one place.  Will be interesting to see if FC Austin can continue to pack the stadium for every game.

22 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

14 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

It's a better virus at infecting people.  Think about it the other way.  If Delta had hit in December, 2x as many people would have gotten it, and thus 2x would have been hosptialized as there actually were.

Yep, it’s more contagious.  So the upside of that is that it should (hopefully) burn through more quickly and we will (hopefully) see it peak and drop faster than previous waves.  If there’s room for optimism, it’s that (hopefully) errrbody getting this variant in this wave, which won’t materially affect vaxxed adults or most kids, and should peak very soon, after which almost everyone will have full immunity against this variant and some immunity against future variants.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

I'm curious about this as well.  I'm guessing just limiting how many people can gather in one place.  Will be interesting to see if FC Austin can continue to pack the stadium for every game.

Related issue, I wonder how it will affect concerts.  I have tickets to see Jason Isbell next Sunday at Moody Theater, and they didn't restrict ticket allocations to account for any reduced capacity or distanced seating.  This show was originally scheduled for last August before COVID pushed it back a year, and I'm going to be pissed if a move to Stage Five fucks this up again.

37 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

also, those 95% eff. number were based on the phase 3 trial which started in July 2020 and ended early Dec iirc.  So tons of people were following suggestions and wearing masks, working from home, etc...  it makes a big difference in the numbers.  it's not like the OFF mosquito repellent commercials where they spray an arm then stick it in a cage full of hungry mosquitos.  The trial patients went about their normal life and did not yolo licking doorknobs and seeing how many people the could ride an elevator with each hour.  most of the US was masking at this time.

Most are now fully back to doing whatever/whenever with no masks, so just from that then effcy would go down.  Add in that some data suggest Delta can even make vaxxed people spreaders and here we are.  

5 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Related issue, I wonder how it will affect concerts.  I have tickets to see Jason Isbell next Sunday at Moody Theater, and they didn't restrict ticket allocations to account for any reduced capacity or distanced seating.  This show was originally scheduled for last August before COVID pushed it back a year, and I'm going to be pissed if a move to Stage Five fucks this up again.

That's a tough one.  I'm all for outdoor concerts and went to Blues on the Green last week but, man, no way I want to go to an indoor concert.  Sucks.  All of this.

2 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

also, those 95% eff. number were based on the phase 3 trial which started in July 2020 and ended early Dec iirc.  So tons of people were following suggestions and wearing masks, working from home, etc...  it makes a big difference in the numbers.  it's not like the OFF mosquito repellent commercials where they spray an arm then stick it in a cage full of hungry mosquitos.  The trial patients went about their normal life and did not yolo licking doorknobs and seeing how many people the could ride an elevator with each hour.  most of the US was masking at this time.

Most are now fully back to doing whatever/whenever with no masks, so just from that then effcy would go down.  Add in that some data suggest Delta can even make vaxxed people spreaders and here we are.  

The impact should be non-differential between groups. To the extent that cases were suppressed by social distancing and mask wearing in the treatment group they would be likewise suppressed in the control group. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

The impact should be non-differential between groups. To the extent that cases were suppressed by social distancing and mask wearing in the treatment group they would be likewise suppressed in the control group. 

Exactly. Efficacy is not measured in a vacuum. It’s measured by comparison of a vaccinated population to a non-vaccinated population, where the populations are not made aware of their vaccination status and are not expected to behave differently relevant to the disease. 

1 hour ago, bschoolprof said:

Per TMC, 8/1 we are at 1354 beds occupied of phase 1 ICU, that is 100% of beds. 23% of those (310) are Covid patients. 

Compare that to 7/22/20 a year ago. We were at 1456 beds occupied, so a little less than half of phase 2 ICU occupied. At that time, there were 714 Covid patients. 

Huge difference. Back off the ledge. Or maybe hop back on because we’re doing something else to fill the ICUs

Edit - I’m not sure how to show the graph, but got to SETREC and filter by Harris county. You can see the time graph of ICU beds occupied and how many were Covid. We’re half the peak in January, and 1/3 the one last year. One thing to keep in mind is that ICUs are meant to operate at 80-90% (their words). 

Edited by UT_OB1
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, bschoolprof said:

according to the harris county covid 19 data hub (https://covid-harriscounty.hub.arcgis.com/) and the texas covid-19 dashboard (https://dshs.texas.gov/coronavirus/AdditionalData.aspx), the hospitalizations for covid in houston are not even close to "roughly the same" now as they were in the winter.  the average number of hospitalized covid patients in houston each day from 12/1/20 to 2/28/21 was 2,114 patients each day.  the average for 7/1/21-8/1/21 each day is 809 (though rising quickly).  the average percentage of icu beds in harris county being utilized for covid-related complications averaged 30% from december to march and the average for july is about 11% (though again, rising quickly).  moreover, given summer behavior, it is more instructive to look year over year at the same period of time.  last july, the average number of patients in houston hospital beds for covid each day was 2,584 as opposed to 809 this july.  moreover, the percentage of icu beds being used for covid-related treatment was well over 40% last july compared to 11% this year.  all this despite a much higher transmission rate of delta on top of a sea change in social behavior across the board.

on that note, a big contributor is also behavioral differences amongst all groups, both vaxed and unvaxed between winter and today.  go to an airport in december and go to an airport this week.  when i arrived in the austin airport last night, it was probably the busiest i have ever seen it in my life on a sunday night.  that wasn't the case in december at all.

other lifting of restrictions, large crowds, sporting events, concerts, full indoor restaurants...it is all increasing transmission as well...particularly amongst the unvaccinated.

delta variant is significantly more contagious as well.  transmission rates are much higher. 

Edited by sidis
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Captainant said:

There's a shitload of unvaccinated dumbasses out there. Previously, the mitigating behavior in the form of masks and social distancing was preventing COVID from getting even worse than it was. Once we had vaccines going into arms and some places started to go back to 100% normal (despite being at best 30-40% fully vaccinated) and removed the mitigating strategies - surprise surprise, we are seeing a huge spike in COVID cases and hospitalizations from the unvaccinated dumbasses.

Sure, it's "burning through" those groups and I guess it will eventually "just go away on its own like a miracle", but in the meantime they're turbofucking our hospitals and medical system at large.

If we had continued with masking and social distancing and the rest of the successful COVID mitigation strategies, the severity of this wave probably would be about half of what it was before. But we aren't so lucky. Hope you don't have any kids too young to get vaccinated or are expecting your kids to be in-person schooling again.

Our hospitals are not getting turbofucked. It's nothing like the two previous big waves, see the two posts above me for the hospitalization numbers. For deaths it's the same story. If you worked in hospital setting you would know that.

This wave is getting a lot of attention because people are frustrated and scared. They're frustrated because they thought we were past restrictions and they're scared because they thought after they were vaccinated they weren't going to get sick. Now they know people or see on TV that vaccinated people are catching it. The key is to focus on the lower rates of hospitalizations and deaths. Don't let the fear get to you. In a few weeks, Delta variant will be largely done.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 2

20 minutes ago, Muy Frio said:

Our hospitals are not getting turbofucked. It's nothing like the two previous big waves, see the two posts above me for the hospitalization numbers. For deaths it's the same story. If you worked in hospital setting you would know that.

This wave is getting a lot of attention because people are frustrated and scared. They're frustrated because they thought we were past restrictions and they're scared because they thought after they were vaccinated they weren't going to get sick. Now they know people or see on TV that vaccinated people are catching it. The key is to focus on the lower rates of hospitalizations and deaths. Don't let the fear get to you. In a few weeks, Delta variant will be largely done.

Wut? Just because deaths are less and the population is younger, doesnt mean the hospitals arent gonna get fucked

Someone posted earlier, for example, that Nueces county doesnt have a single fucking hospital bed right now

13 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Wut? Just because deaths are less and the population is younger, doesnt mean the hospitals arent gonna get fucked

Someone posted earlier, for example, that Nueces county doesnt have a single fucking hospital bed right now

I’m assuming there will be spots where resources are briefly strained, not sure why it’s hitting Corpus a bit harder now. Maybe the rural Hispanic population there is less vaxxed and getting funneled into there, idk?

But the numbers bear out that both statewide and nationally hospitalizations and death are substantially lower. And that’s with the ultra rapid spread going on. 

46 minutes ago, Muy Frio said:

I’m assuming there will be spots where resources are briefly strained, not sure why it’s hitting Corpus a bit harder now. Maybe the rural Hispanic population there is less vaxxed and getting funneled into there, idk?

But the numbers bear out that both statewide and nationally hospitalizations and death are substantially lower. And that’s with the ultra rapid spread going on. 

well, if you look at the trends, we are heading up fast.  very fast.  and that's with the benefit of vaccinations.  too many fucking idiot antivax fucking fucks fucking everything up.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

Because "bolstering your immune system" with supplements is hokem bullshit.

Like being a chiropractor.

I know I usually look to pilots for my medical information.  Thanks for jumping in here.

My actual doctor disagrees with you, though.

• Hook 'Em 1

Holy crap. 693 cases today in Travis County (including weekend to be fair). 408 people hospitalized. We are now back to Feb 10th for first days over 400 people hospitalized. To give you some time perspective on Aug 2nd, 2020 Travis County had 307 people in the hospital so we are 101 higher YoY.

70 admits Saturday, 63 Sunday & 62 Monday. The 70 admits on Saturday was the highest single day since Jan 28th.  (Getting some of this historical perspective is benefit of tracking this shit since March of last year)

Cases still heavily skew young.

Age Bracket <1 1 to 9 10 to 19 20 to 29 30 to 39 40 to 49 50 to 59 60 to 69 70 to 79 >80 Total
Cases 8/2 vs 7/30 1 42 100 205 142 89 59 30 14 11 693
% of Daily Change 0.14% 6.06% 14.43% 29.58% 20.49% 12.84% 8.51% 4.33% 2.02% 1.59%  
% of Total Cases 0.64% 4.42% 10.67% 26.05% 20.73% 14.85% 11.04% 6.45% 3.13% 2.02%  
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, DaysOff said:

Because "bolstering your immune system" with supplements is hokem bullshit

Except that poor hospital outcomes were associated with low Vitamin D and rates of death increased the lower the Vitamin D level dropped and supplementation showed benefit in Covid. Would I use it as my saving therapy? No. But it’s a low risk augmenting therapy.

Otherwise, supplements are a lot of bs most of the time.

• Hook 'Em 4