COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

Yeah, did they skip nu just to make it look like they weren't intentionally skipping xi after they named a couple of more variants?  Kind of stupid if they did this just because of Xi Jinping's name.

We’ve been altering the names since the original strain. We had posters demand we change thread titles. The delta variant was initially the Indian variant. It’s all fucking stupid

8 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

We’ve been altering the names since the original strain. We had posters demand we change thread titles. The delta variant was initially the Indian variant. It’s all fucking stupid

I get the stupidity of the greek vs location of origin, but I think they've gone with the greek letters in the order that they are listed in the Greek alphabet up until now.  There are several strains that haven't received much attention, but they were still named with the appropriate greek letter (Epislon, Eta, Zeta, Theta...).  

Whatever, I just hope Omicron doesn't fuck up the NCAA tourney or the College World Series.  Pick on the College Football Playoff and bowl games at your leisure Omicron, but leave the other stuff out of this.

• Hook 'Em 2

19 hours ago, Cody2422 said:

Disclaimer:  I went golfing and I’m drunk

Ya’ll are some attention seeking pussy bitches.  Live your life, vaccinate yourself as many times as you want, don’t get vaccinated if you don’t want to.  Masks don’t work but wear one if you want to.  Stop being so fucking afraid, live your life.  

Be nice to someone 

Such a hot take about the pandemic! Thanks!

Man, last week I was hopeful that Delta was the end of the road and that idea didn't last two days...

I found this website that lets you compare variants:

https://covariants.org/shared-mutations

Looking at that site, Omicron looks like a bunch of variants were in a genetic car crash and this was the result.  Omicron has bits of a lot of them plus a large number of new mutations.

The speed of discovery and analysis of these new variants is just amazing.

• Hook 'Em 1

Soooooooo
if it turns out that omicron is more infectious and less malicious, would its ascendency mean anything positive in terms of suppressing the other variants?
i am thinking/ hoping yes, but I don’t know how variant competition works. 

Evolutionary behavior of viruses would indicate this is the exact expected outcome. Praise be please be true

On 11/26/2021 at 4:39 PM, Cody2422 said:

Disclaimer:  I went golfing and I’m drunk

Ya’ll are some attention seeking pussy bitches.  Live your life, vaccinate yourself as many times as you want, don’t get vaccinated if you don’t want to.  Masks don’t work but wear one if you want to.  Stop being so fucking afraid, live your life.  

Be nice to someone 

Masks work.  Other than that, go fuck yourself you stupid golf playing bitch.

9 hours ago, babysdaddy said:

Evolutionary behavior of viruses would indicate this is the exact expected outcome. Praise be please be true

Eh, sort of. A given set of mutations can make a virus more or less infectious, more or less virulent, or do nothing at all, or completely cripple the virus, which is very often the case. It is very possible that the  Omicron virus is more infectious but less virulent than previous variants. 

But that’s a separate question from the evolutionary behavior of viruses- the evolutionary trend towards less virulence is driven by selection pressure, in that killer viruses can only spread while the host still lives to spread them and most viruses spread symptomatically.

However, the unique problem with this virus is that an infected person does most of the spreading before they are symptomatic, so the selection pressure on the virus is greatly reduced. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Eh, sort of. A given set of mutations can make a virus more or less infectious, more or less virulent, or do nothing at all, or completely cripple the virus, which is very often the case. It is very possible that the  Omicron virus is more infectious but less virulent than previous variants. 

But that’s a separate question from the evolutionary behavior of viruses- the evolutionary trend towards less virulence is driven by selection pressure, in that killer viruses can only spread while the host still lives to spread them and most viruses spread symptomatically.

However, the unique problem with this virus is that an infected person does most of the spreading before they are symptomatic, so the selection pressure on the virus is greatly reduced. 

My time playing Plague Inc. confirms the veracity of this statement. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/26/2021 at 12:28 PM, 52-80 said:

i dunno in scandinavia there hasnt been lock downs and hasnt been mask requirements and vax rate is the same as US, but theres been no shouting matches in walmart over masks, no riots, and no collapse of health care systems...

The lax rules is only true of Sweden. Norway and Denmark have had mask mandates and other restrictions.

September 25 article: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/25/world/norway-ends-covid-restrictions.html

November 24 article: https://www.thelocal.dk/20211124/new-denmark-confirms-plan-to-reintroduce-facemask-rules/

Also, all three have higher vax rates:

Sweden: 68% fully vaccinated

Norway: 71%

Denmark: 76%

US: 59%

Deaths per 100,000 is indicative of successful efforts in Norway and Denmark in particular.

Sweden: 147 

Norway: 20

Denmark: 49

US: 234

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, bolverk said:

The lax rules is only true of Sweden. Norway and Denmark have had mask mandates and other restrictions.

September 25 article: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/25/world/norway-ends-covid-restrictions.html

November 24 article: https://www.thelocal.dk/20211124/new-denmark-confirms-plan-to-reintroduce-facemask-rules/

Also, all three have higher vax rates:

Sweden: 68% fully vaccinated

Norway: 71%

Denmark: 76%

US: 59%

Deaths per 100,000 is indicative of successful efforts in Norway and Denmark in particular.

Sweden: 147 

Norway: 20

Denmark: 49

US: 234

Denmark and Norway have been *extremely* lax.  Norway there was a short period in summer when masks were mandated on public transport, ONLY when sitting next to someone.  The public event/social gathering "restriction" applied to parties above 250 people.  At its worst, restaurants/cafes/bars simply blocked alternating tables or seats.  Day to day, you literally wouldn't see a single mask and wouldnt know there was such thing as a 'pandemic', 95% of the days since this thing started in Feb 2020.

The vax rates of all these countries are similar, and all of them are similar to the overall EA/EEA rate (66%) and time-variant curve.

You're not gonna correlate the vax rate to death rate as a measure of success, because how are you going to explain Denmark with 2.5x that of Norway -- which is lax, as explained above.  Or Germany which is always ultra-strict (for obvious reasons), with similar vax rates, and overall death rate of 121. 

Thing is this thing is global, spreads the insuppressible way a virus spreads, spikes and dips, and the 2 countries often cited at the polar ends of the spectrum -- Israel & Sweden -- yoyo between being the best example in the world, to the worst example in the world, depending on which month of the cycle it's at.

12 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Denmark and Norway have been *extremely* lax.  Norway there was a short period in summer when masks were mandated on public transport, ONLY when sitting next to someone.  The public event/social gathering "restriction" applied to parties above 250 people.  At its worst, restaurants/cafes/bars simply blocked alternating tables or seats.  Day to day, you literally wouldn't see a single mask and wouldnt know there was such thing as a 'pandemic', 95% of the days since this thing started in Feb 2020.

The vax rates of all these countries are similar, and all of them are similar to the overall EA/EEA rate (66%) and time-variant curve.

You're not gonna correlate the vax rate to death rate as a measure of success, because how are you going to explain Denmark with 2.5x that of Norway -- which is lax, as explained above.  Or Germany which is always ultra-strict (for obvious reasons), with similar vax rates, and overall death rate of 121. 

Thing is this thing is global, spreads the insuppressible way a virus spreads, spikes and dips, and the 2 countries often cited at the polar ends of the spectrum -- Israel & Sweden -- yoyo between being the best example in the world, to the worst example in the world, depending on which month of the cycle it's at.

The point of the post was to correct your factually false statement that "in scandinavia there hasnt been lock downs and hasnt been mask requirements and vax rate is the same as US" when in fact two of the three Scandinavian countries did in fact have restrictions and mask requirements and that all three do have higher vax rates than the US.

My posting the death rates was to demonstrate that what restrictions/rules Norway and Denmark had in place appear to have overall been quite effective vis-a-vis the US and Sweden.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bolverk said:

The point of the post was to correct your factually false statement that "in scandinavia there hasnt been lock downs and hasnt been mask requirements and vax rate is the same as US" when in fact two of the three Scandinavian countries did in fact have restrictions and mask requirements and that all three do have higher vax rates than the US.

My posting the death rates was to demonstrate that what restrictions/rules Norway and Denmark had in place appear to have overall been quite effective vis-a-vis the US and Sweden.

That's a very pedant way of presenting a fact.  I'm telling you that in practice, in actual day to day life, there is virtually ZERO lock down or mask requirement.  I told you that 660 out of the last 700 days, you wouldn't see a single person with a mask.  I say this because 3 days a week we buy groceries at the biggest shopping mall in the country.

If you think a difference of 5-10% in vaccination rate explains a difference of 750%-1150% in death rate, that should tell you that that analysis is all sorts of faulty.  And again, if you believe there's been much stringent restrictions/rules in DK/NO (responsible for superior results vs US/SWE)... that's nowhere close to the reality, at all.

22 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

That's a very pedant way of presenting a fact.  I'm telling you that in practice, in actual day to day life, there is virtually ZERO lock down or mask requirement.  I told you that 660 out of the last 700 days, you wouldn't see a single person with a mask.  I say this because 3 days a week we buy groceries at the biggest shopping mall in the country.

If you think a difference of 5-10% in vaccination rate explains a difference of 750%-1150% in death rate, that should tell you that that analysis is all sorts of faulty.  And again, if you believe there's been much stringent restrictions/rules in DK/NO (responsible for superior results vs US/SWE)... that's nowhere close to the reality, at all.

No, I did not say that anywhere. Stop putting words in my mouth. I clearly stated that the Norwegian and Danish responses were more restrictive and effective than that of the Swedes, and as a result, they had lower death and hospitalization rates. Those achievements were made prior to the availability of the vaccines. 

image.thumb.png.62be38e60b248244cdd7ab16d7e38898.png

image.thumb.png.5c6153d23bb44214c99eeb2210405f3b.png

By late March, more than 30 COVID-19 patients were being admitted to ICUs every day. By early April, Sweden was recording about 90 deaths from the virus daily—a significant undercount, critics say, because many died without getting tested. Hospitals did not become as overwhelmed as those in northern Italy or New York City, but that was in part because many severely ill patients weren't hospitalized. A 17 March directive to Stockholm area hospitals stated patients older than 80 or with a body mass index above 40 should not be admitted to intensive care, because they were less likely to recover. Most nursing homes were not equipped to administer oxygen, so many residents instead received morphine to alleviate their suffering. Newspaper reports told stories of people who died after being turned away from emergency rooms because they were deemed too young to suffer serious COVID-19 complications.

https://www.science.org/content/article/it-s-been-so-so-surreal-critics-sweden-s-lax-pandemic-policies-face-fierce-backlash

Thankfully, we have the vaccine now which hopefully will provide some protection against the Omicron variant. And, if not, the mRNA platform can be swiftly updated to do so. But your general statements that restrictions had little effect on either hospitalizations or disruptions in way of life just aren't true, because clearly they did.

Police in Norway on Sunday reported dozens of disturbances and violent clashes including mass brawls in the Nordic country’s big cities after streets, bars, restaurants and nightclubs were filled with people celebrating the end of COVID-19 restrictions that lasted for more than a year.

The Norwegian government abruptly announced Friday that most of the remaining coronavirus restrictions would be scrapped beginning Saturday and that life in the nation of 5.3 million would return to normal.

The unexpected announcement by outgoing Prime Minister Erna Solberg to drop coronavirus restrictions the next day took many Norwegians by surprise and led to chaotic scenes in the capital, Oslo, and elsewhere in the country.

“It has been 561 days since we introduced the toughest measures in Norway in peacetime,” Solberg said on Friday at a news conference. “Now the time has come to return to a normal daily life.”

Rowdy celebrations by hundreds of citizens across Norway started Saturday afternoon and lasted until the early hours of Sunday. Police said unrest was reported in several places, including in the southern city of Bergen and the central city of Trondheim, but the situation was the worst in Oslo.

Long lines were seen outside Oslo’s nightclubs, bars and restaurants late Saturday and police registered at least 50 fights and disturbances during the night. Neither vaccination status certificates nor negative test results are required to enter such venues in Norway.

“That’s exactly what I predicted would happen,” angry nightclub manager Johan Hoeeg Haanes in Oslo told Norwegian newspaper VG. “It was a life-threatening situation in the city because they (government) didn’t give us at least a few days advance notice. This was a dangerous situation, as police said all places were packed.”

https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-pandemic-business-health-europe-norway-4d3b34ca4362afa87772df309881216d

At any rate, this discussion should be taking place elsewhere since this thread should be reserved for Texas only.

2 hours ago, bolverk said:

No, I did not say that anywhere. Stop putting words in my mouth. I clearly stated that the Norwegian and Danish responses were more restrictive and effective than that of the Swedes, and as a result, they had lower death and hospitalization rates. 

But your general statements that restrictions had little effect on either hospitalizations or disruptions in way of life just aren't true, because clearly they did.

At any rate, this discussion should be taking place elsewhere since this thread should be reserved for Texas only.

You literally compared NO/DK to SE/US, and attributed them to “restrictions” and vax rates. Im telling you the vax rates are way to close to explain the differences in outcome, and the restrictions were nothing close to restrictive at all — very loose and short-lived. 
People really want to correlate cause and effect to support their viewpoint. Australia good, Sweden bad. And then some variant spikes and suddenly its Australia bad, Sweden good. Its flip-flopped so many times I’m loathe to claim one way or another. 
If you drive from Denmark to Germany -- they share a border -- you go from people hanging out en-masse to N95-masks only (and now, on the verge of “full lockdown”). Across Europe the tenor of the response has been very diverse, but largely the outcome *spread over time* is similar. Shit spikes and dips and spreads which is the nature of an infectious airborne mutating virus. 
The point is that I observe in the US a whole lot of whinging and arguing and fighting over wearing masks and lock downs, where the scale effects are dubious and largely out of ones personal control.  Control your distances and vax yourself as you please (we are), but whether or not your Texan neighbor believe in that stuff is not really determinative of the total outbreak. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

You literally compared NO/DK to SE/US, and attributed them to “restrictions” and vax rates. Im telling you the vax rates are way to close to explain the differences in outcome, and the restrictions were nothing close to restrictive at all — very loose and short-lived. 

When you disagree with someone or have a differing opinion, you don't have to lie about what they said.

No, I did not say that anywhere. Stop putting words in my mouth. I clearly stated that the Norwegian and Danish responses were more restrictive and effective than that of the Swedes, and as a result, they had lower death and hospitalization rates. Those achievements were made prior to the availability of the vaccines

Go back and look at the charts I posted about deaths and hospitalizations where Sweden's rates were markedly higher than those in both Denmark and Norway throughout the first year of the pandemic...BEFORE THE VACCINE. Their mitigation efforts worked and allowed them minimal casualties by comparison while waiting for the vaccine to arrive.

Done with this exchange.

• Fuck You 1

16 minutes ago, bolverk said:

When you disagree with someone or have a differing opinion, you don't have to lie about what they said.

Go back and look at the charts I posted about deaths and hospitalizations where Sweden's rates were markedly higher than those in both Denmark and Norway throughout the first year of the pandemic...BEFORE THE VACCINE. Their mitigation efforts worked and allowed them minimal casualties by comparison while waiting for the vaccine to arrive.

Done with this exchange.

Nobody needs to lies when all our words are literally stored on the serve and requotable. 

“first year of the pandemic…before the vaccine” was actually the LEAST mitigation here in norway. 

Summer 2020, the national authority concluded mask is not required. August 2020, I was watching Tenet in the movie theater.  That year, i can count on 1 hand how many persons ive seen with a mask. 

https://www.fhi.no/globalassets/dokumenterfiler/rapporter/2020/should-individuals-in-the-community-without-respiratory-symptoms-wear-facemasks-to-reduce-the-spread-of-covid-19-report-2020.pdf

On 11/26/2021 at 12:28 PM, 52-80 said:

i dunno in scandinavia there hasnt been lock downs and hasnt been mask requirements and vax rate is the same as US, but theres been no shouting matches in walmart over masks, no riots, and no collapse of health care systems...

Take this shit to the cloak room asshole. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 2

6 hours ago, babysdaddy said:

Struggling here. NIH chief said looks like current vax will work and the guy whose entire company’s worth is built on selling vaccines says we need a new one. Who to believe?

I don't think the vaccine companies are saying another booster/vaccine is needed just yet though.  I've only seen Pfizer saying they could do it in 100 days or so.

You have to toss this into the mix: The guy whose entire company's worth is built on the vaccine knows that if a new variant easily gets around his company's current vaccine, their stock prices will drop as people bail for other companies. That's why the companies get nervous about breakthrough infections, and why they are so quick to try and reassure everybody that if it gets around their vaccine, they can have another one out quickly.

They are not having any problem selling their current vaccines either - It's been a bit of a pain in the ass to get a flu vaccine because so many people/kids are getting covid shots/boosters right now.  Several places in the Austin area I would normally be able to walk in and get one now require appointments, and some of those are a week out. They've all said it's mostly people getting boosters or kids getting their second round though.

Edit: Supplies aren't low or anything in Austin - it's just that so many people are getting boosters/vaccines for COVID, that you're having to get a slot for the flu vaccine.

Edited by atomheartbevo

The Travis County dashboard just updated deaths for week ending 11/26.

If this is right it will be the best week we have had in terms of Covid related deaths since I started tracking weekly deaths July of last year.

The dashboard shows only 1 death last week.

It was in the 70 to 79 year old age bracket.

I will take a look over the next couple of days and see if this holds.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So I am insane and my life is at a standstill because I choose to not spend time indoors around a large group of people for any lengthy amount of time, such as a restaurant or movie theater?

This pretty much sums up where I am.  We do takeout, see friends at home or their house, and watch movies at home.  No movie theaters, bars, or indoor restaurants.  If someone else wants to do that, great.  I’m totally against lockdowns.  I am in favor of masks for unvaccinated and wish more employers would find their balls and encourage vaccination by setting up financial incentives for getting the shots.

But really, I just wish the virus would fucking do its thing and go away.  If it kills the idiots who refuse to get shots and think it’s the flu that’s a bonus.

• Hook 'Em 4