COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

34 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If Abbott is willing to order another shutdown, he should be willing to order masks to prevent another shutdown. 
it makes no sense to me that he would let localities decide on masks all the way until it’s too late and then he orders a shutdown. 

Oh it makes sense to me.  It’s easy to tell cities they can’t ban plastic bags and other trivial shit bc “local control bad,” but when it comes to serious public health policies, he can’t and won’t be the leader we need bc “it’s not on the state to tell cities how to function.”

He’s a shitty governor bc he isn’t a leader. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Oh it makes sense to me.  It’s easy to tell cities they can’t ban plastic bags and other trivial shit bc “local control bad,” but when it comes to serious public health policies, he can’t and won’t be the leader we need bc “it’s not on the state to tell cities how to function.”

If “it’s not on the state” then he shouldn’t be willing to give shutdown orders either.  

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

[Raises hand.] I’ve been to Woodrow’s on Burnet a couple times. They take temperatures before allowing you in, and I wear a mask to and from my table, sitting only at an outdoor table at least six feet from everybody. I’m 45 years old and divorced, but not far, bald, or an alcoholic.

You need to take your mom out with you from time to time you ungrateful son you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/21/2020 at 10:46 AM, justhookit said:

So continuing on that thought and I’m in a unique position to see this - contact tracing. If what I have seen with the cases I know here personally it’s not going to do fuck-all to help us. The people that have it don’t want to admit it, they don’t stay home, and the people they have directly exposed sure as hell aren’t staying home. It’s Port A so limited sample size and all, but I can tell you that for every one person trying to do the right thing, there are 2 or 3 that are just going about living their life.

Perhaps if Texas or local governmental agencies will implement a cell phone app using the API installed on most everyone's Android and IOS devices there is a chance that contact tracing might actually help.

12 minutes ago, Parliament said:
3 hours ago, bolverk said:
Oh, hey, Amarillo, Canyon, and Dumas are looking better!

Perhaps. But it's still Amarillo, Canyon and Dumas.

That's Amarillo Dumas, if you please.  /heywood 

On the issue of enforcing masks, how the hell is anyone going to do so anyway?  I agree that he should have just said that masks are mandatory, as there's really no practical difference between a mandatory mask rule and no mandatory mask rule.  No one is going to get ticketed or even hassled over it by law enforcement.  They haven't even been writing traffic tickets since early March.   Maybe he thought that declaring masks mandatory would actually result in less mask usage thanks to the "But Mah Rites!" folks. 

I hate hate hate that Texas is being lumped in with Florida right now, but there's no denying one glaring commonality: both states have abysmal public education.  I don't think that's a coincidence.  

And the large crowds gathering in Austin are largely made up of tourist assholes, which is really annoying.  Stay the fuck at home.  Suicide selfie point hasn't slowed down a bit this entire time, Bull Creek is full of morons every weekend, the god damn Oasis is doing a thriving business right now for fucks sake.  I just don't get it.  And I can only imagine what you guys in Port A, S PAdre, etc. are thinking now, with less hospital beds to deal with all of the twats crowding in.

Edited by Samson's Wig
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

On the issue of enforcing masks, how the hell is anyone going to do so anyway? 

It's not about enforcement. If there is a rule that says wear a mask, all the good people have ammo against the selfish cunts not wearing a mask who say "you can't tell me what to do". Yes, some will stay say that, but more won't. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Js1 said:

WTF?  plastic bags is serious shit, man!

6 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

On the issue of enforcing masks, how the hell is anyone going to do so anyway?  I agree that he should have just said that masks are mandatory, as there's really no practical difference between a mandatory mask rule and no mandatory mask rule.  No one is going to get ticketed or even hassled over it by law enforcement.  They haven't even been writing traffic tickets since early March.   Maybe he thought that declaring masks mandatory would actually result in less mask usage thanks to the "But Mah Rites!" folks. 

I hate hate hate that Texas is being lumped in with Florida right now, but there's no denying one glaring commonality: both states have abysmal public education.  I don't think that's a coincidence.  

And the large crowds gathering in Austin are largely made up of tourist assholes, which is really annoying.  Stay the fuck at home.  Suicide selfie point hasn't slowed down a bit this entire time, Bull Creek is full of morons every weekend, the god damn Oasis is doing a thriving business right now for fucks sake.  I just don't get it.  And I can only imagine what you guys in Port A, S PAdre, etc. are thinking now, with less hospital beds to deal with all of the twats crowding in.

calling BradinATX, calling BradinATX

bull creek is local morons

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

Bull creek is local only in the sense that it's folks that can drive there for the day.  But they don't live near bull creek.  They're tourists.  But we can agree that they're morons. 

Edited by Samson's Wig

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I don't have any issue with people being at Bull Creek without a mask. I think it's pretty much a near-zero chance that someone is going to catch Covid in an outdoor setting like that. Same with beaches, etc. I believe in data and science and both of those things show that the risk of catching it outdoors like that is incredibly low.

Edited by BradInATX

1 minute ago, DaysOff said:

The latest iteration of the Oasis is still in business? Does the food still suck?

Yes . . . but.  They hired a new chef and fixed things up last year.  I was pleasantly surprised when we took some visitors out there.  Still overpriced for what it was, paying for the view, etc.  but much much better than before.   From what I've heard they're on a small menu during all of this and I don't know if it's any good or not.  Reports are that it's packed with the unwashed, and umasked, masses every weekend though.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

I don't have any issue with people being at Bull Creek without a mask. I think it's pretty much a near-zero chance that someone is going to catch Covid in an outdoor setting like that. Same with beaches, etc. I believe in data and science and both of those things show that the risk of catching it outdoors like that is incredibly low.

I would have agreed with you a few weeks ago, but this spike we're seeing isn't coming from folks hanging around together indoors.  Young people were drinking in bars well before this.  It's folks out and about enjoying their summer.

Edited by Samson's Wig

3 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

agreed, Oasis and selfie point aren't an issue in my mind either, but I was calling you for your unmatched expertise on policing thread politics...

O

1 minute ago, Samson's Wig said:

I would have agreed with you a few weeks ago, but this spike we're seeing isn't coming from folks hanging around together indoors.

Most of what I've read is saying bars and gyms appear to be the main culprits for all of these young people coming down sick. Based on contact tracing and the like. Are you seeing something else? I've been mostly behaving as if you're unlikely to catch it outdoors (though I'm not going to a football game, for one). If there's a big shift towards people getting it from being outdoors amongst infected, that's a big shift (and would be really shitty).

• Like 1

I would have agreed with you a few weeks ago, but this spike we're seeing isn't coming from folks hanging around together indoors.

hmm, I was told it was basically from idiots in restaurants and bars not BBQ's or protests.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

agreed, Oasis and selfie point aren't an issue in my mind either, but I was calling you for your unmatched expertise on policing thread politics...

O

My disdain for tourist morons in Austin overruled my disdain for hypocritical grinding of political axes, I guess.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Most of what I've read is saying bars and gyms appear to be the main culprits for all of these young people coming down sick. Based on contact tracing and the like. Are you seeing something else? I've been mostly behaving as if you're unlikely to catch it outdoors (though I'm not going to a football game, for one). If there's a big shift towards people getting it from being outdoors amongst infected, that's a big shift (and would be really shitty).

No - and I'm actually largely in agreement with you.  I think if you're outdoors and social distancing I haven't read or seen anything to indicate that's a concern.  But folks at Bull Creek are piled on top of each other, as are the folks you can see on Town Lake, etc.  Gyms have reopened but are still largely empty, and bars were open prior to a couple of weeks ago, so I have a hard time buying that they're the sole cause for the spike.  It's possible, but ignoring the increase in large gatherings of people that began just three weeks ago or so seems unlikely.  I haven't seen any data either way, just prognostications.

And in all seriousness - I don't have a political axe to grind.  At all.

Edited by Samson's Wig

5 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

I would have agreed with you a few weeks ago, but this spike we're seeing isn't coming from folks hanging around together indoors.  Young people were drinking in bars well before this.  It's folks out and about enjoying their summer.

What? Bars have basically only been open 2 full weekends now. The beach, like the actual people on the sand, has been crowded as fuck for almost 2 months. It’s the bars, and to a lesser extent restaurants and other public/retail places that have relaxed restrictions.

1 hour ago, stone oak said:

You'd like to think in this new era of "extreme wokeness" that making fun of handicapped people would surely be outside the lines of acceptable. 

But nope, here we are.

Hey, if CHAZ can re-introduce segregation, then Abbott detractors can go back to making fun of disabled folks. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, justhookit said:

What? Bars have basically only been open 2 full weekends now. The beach, like the actual people on the sand, has been crowded as fuck for almost 2 months. It’s the bars, and to a lesser extent restaurants and other public/retail places that have relaxed restrictions.

Bars opened back in May.  I agree that folks have been hitting the beach/outdoor spots for longer, but not in the numbers we've seen the last three weeks.  The last time we saw these numbers outdoors was Spring break, and young folks had a big spike following that as well.

Edited by Samson's Wig

1 minute ago, justhookit said:

LOL fuck me. Nueces County just reported 109 new cases today. Previous high was 65 late last week. And we reported cases over the weekend so while there may be a slight bump, the bump has generally been on Tuesday.

Tuesday is always the big day 'round these parts.

Bars opened back in May.  I agree that folks have been hitting the beach/outdoor spots for longer, but not in the numbers we've seen the last three weeks.  The last time we saw these numbers outdoors was Spring break, and young folks had a big spike following that as well.

Not trying to pick nits here but I'd bet money that the majority of Spring Break spread came from bars. Beach daytime, back to hotel, dinner, back to hotel for pre-gaming, bars until they close. I might be old now but I still (sorta) remember the drill.

Not saying that it never happens. I'm sure it does and I'm sure there was a little bit of spread at the protests. But we haven't seen any real correlation between the protests and case increases. I think the "aha" moment for me was when nobody got sick from all of that stuff up in the Ozarks. I was shocked by that.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

Actually I live in Port A, and the beaches have been extremely crowded since the day they opened in April. If anything they’ve been less crowded in June. 

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Travis County dailies back to a reasonable number @ 129.  Let's pray that holds and is not just the monday wobble. 

Hospitalization numbers haven't looked terrible today or yesterday either. Moving average is sorta just bouncing around between 24-28 now, not on a clear upward trend. Let's hope it holds.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Not trying to pick nits here but I'd bet money that the majority of Spring Break spread came from bars. Beach daytime, back to hotel, dinner, back to hotel for pre-gaming, bars until they close. I might be old now but I still (sorta) remember the drill.

Not saying that it never happens. I'm sure it does and I'm sure there was a little bit of spread at the protests. But we haven't seen any real correlation between the protests and case increases. I think the "aha" moment for me was when nobody got sick from all of that stuff up in the Ozarks. I was shocked by that.

the aha moment was when Florida didn't turn into NY/NJ 2 after spring break.

Just now, dcar00 said:

the aha moment was when Florida didn't turn into NY/NJ 2 after spring break.

Yeah, that too. I think a lot of people assumed outdoor spread when Mardi Gras turned Louisiana into a hot zone. I think most of those people don't realize that the nightlife and parties after the parades are just as important and ongoing as the daytime parades themselves. 

Edited by BradInATX

3 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Good points.  I hope you're right.  It will be easier (I think) to keep people out of bars than from mingling outside.  Maybe  there's a way to let bars with patios stay open if they have to shut down the others.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, justhookit said:

Actually I live in Port A, and the beaches have been extremely crowded since the day they opened in April. If anything they’ve been less crowded in June. 

since school was basically done(or could be done remotely) I think a ton of people went then, because they were not tied down with going into to school or, for some, work.  not quite as hot and probably better deals but you would know more.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Yeah, that too. I think a lot of people assumed outdoor spread when Mardi Gras turned Louisiana into a hot zone. I think most of those people don't realize that the nightlife and parties after the parades are just as important and ongoing as the daytime parades themselves. 

mardi gras is a totally different animal with the parades and everyone jammed in a 4 block radius in bars and on tiny narrow streets or whatever.  its a zoo like no other I've ever been in but fuck if it aint a ton o fun.

14 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

Good points.  I hope you're right.  It will be easier (I think) to keep people out of bars than from mingling outside.  Maybe  there's a way to let bars with patios stay open if they have to shut down the others.

I’m leaning this direction. It’s a good compromise and I think would help. Keep limiting restaurant capacity and have all people indoors wearing masks, and we’re good to go. I think (hope).

33 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Exactly my thoughts.  Anyone that's ever been to Mardi Gras in New Orleans, and had to stand in line for a bathroom in one of the bars, knows exactly where the extremely close physical contact was occurring.  It's crowded on the streets for sure, but it's a GD moshpit inside the bars and clubs.

That's why I wasn't surprised at all when the Texas and Florida beaches didn't turn into NY or LA 2.0

Edited by utee94

• immamac changed the title to COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such