Father's Day Eats.

ROFL BOX

Who is doing the cooking?

Got up @ 0515: "First, you start a fahr..."

Will add a single normal sized rack of porkers around 1300.

Been on for around 1 hour (0722 as I tap this out), temp holding steady.

As usual, Major was going bonkers about the fire & doing laps around Earl.f5660d0629c54ef1f07fffcfb96e5389.jpga9388bea1502ffcf8370e168333e9900.jpgcf37e4a795a4b391bd291d1170ec22d9.jpge62df206c0833ed5daa9bd806b59d9dc.jpg7d6752f6e9cb92c514a08957cef722c5.jpg3c89567587b9bda2d72953f2e4f82994.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Napped for 1 hour, came outside just now to this - not doing too badly.

Added 2 pieces of Oak, rolled up some new hot coals & stoked Earl again (still had a nice base in there but I didn't want to lose too much momentum).ba05dbfd9beaa6930783754908b0102f.jpg

• Like 2

Wife is cooking because I bought her a new deep dish pie pan this past week on vacation.  Making some sort of beef tenderloin/ shrooms/ tomatoes savory pie.

and copious amounts of New Mexico beer ( i.e. La Cumbre Slice of Hefen and DeLaVega Pecan, among others.)

Having video chat with my boys later today.  'Twill be a great day!

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 1

Kids are cleaning my house and my daughter is making ribeyes for dinner. Will meet the ladyfriend at Woodrow’s for a mid-afternoon beer. Treat yourselves right, dads.
My takeaway here is you are trusting a woman with a Ribeye.

• Like 1

Breffiss. Challah French toast, bacon, eggs, black coffee. Just out of view: plate with more bacon (the “strategic bacon reserve” only lasted about 30 minutes.)

2d53b9f55893c9ee1e71c77d52a59bb7.jpg

In the fridge for dinner: two prime filets for steak au poivre.

Happy Father’s Day to all you Surly bastards living the dad life. My kid is seven, and it’s cliché to say being her dad is the greatest calling of my life. Cliché, but true.

• Like 7

Making me hungry already boys. Damn. I did ribs and chicken yesterday for my dad and father-in-law. Was too busy pounding beers and BBQ to take pics. Tonight, there’s a nice steak place downtown that will be serving me.

Happy Fathers Day!

Wife bought 2 of these thinking they wouldn't be 2.5lb each. I said we are saving the other one and cooking it later. First father's day very excited about this steak. Will post money shot.

Breakfast was french toast with bacon and blueberry/strawberry.

20200621_152836.jpg

20200621_152947.jpg

• Like 5

My folks are in ill health at the moment - mom is in chemo (doing okay today, had a rough day yesterday), dad is recovering from hip surgery (doing well, but still needing some help).  And of course, with COVID, we've been limiting contact.

So, I - just me, not the grandkids - picked up some good tacos (barbacoa, lengua, tripas), and brought them over so we could  have a father's day lunch together.  Just the three of us, had a nice visit (kept my distance best I could, then helped the old man take a walk up and down the block for therapy).  It was a good visit, definitely made their day.

As for MY father's day?  I dunno.  I'm working, haven't decided on dinner.  A steak sounds nice.  I'd have to cook it myself, but that's not hard.  Picking up some bbq from a black-owned business (Slab bbq) sounds nice.  But I'm actually leaning towards a Savage from Conan's -- fuck yes, add the jalapenos and anchovies.  A couple of cold Firemans with a couple of those slices, and I'd be a happy man.  But I haven't fully decided yet.....

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

Anyone else getting drunk on Father’s Day?

Yes.  Many different beers and my 21 year old son son celebrated his new legal status( with regard to alcohol) by getting me a bottle of Garrison Bros.

He is now my favorite son...LOlz.

• Like 4

My 13-year-old daughter is making prime ribeyes, Hasselback potatoes, and roasted Romanesco. She’s taking total control over the kitchen and I’m sitting back in awe drinking wine and not doing shit. 

A year ago my marriage had just been blown apart, and now I’m filled with joy and happiness. Fatherhood is a journey. Enjoy today, fellow dads, no matter where you are on the path.

• Like 8

Got an air fryer for Father's Day.  Ribs are on the smoker, but my kids were excited to watch me use it.  Fuck me, I have no idea.  So I Google and look around the fridge and I find that my wife has randomly purchased falafel from the local farmer's market.  What the hell, roll some balls, fry em up and put them in a wrap.

Surprisingly crispy and actually tastes fried.  Interesting cooker.  Will experiment further.

IMG_6012.thumb.jpg.2acda5eaef472112914abfd9cb1e04c8.jpg

• Like 5