Five people hospitalized after shooting in downtown Austin early this morning

Goo Punch

Friends and family ties to the city. Loved visiting growing up. Sad to see the violence ignored. It’s like a mass shooting each month. It’s been like this for years. I’d put the national guard on every corner. Victims deserve more than to be political points. 

A three year old is on that list of victims from last week, and they are not the first. If the victims were white would this get the attention and outrage it deserves?

I would love nothing more than to see tons of resources committed to attacking that number. The status quo isn’t working. It should be unacceptable for everyone. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Funny how actually giving a shit about the 200 plus victims and their loved ones is “hints of racism” as opposed to completely ignoring them. 

And thank you for your service. 

You're right. You should remember these victims on every thread on every board. You're clearly deeply concerned about these victims. I bet you're on your knees right now generating thoughts and prayers. It's quite touching, really.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Larry T. Spider said:

Sadly, I usually hear about Chicago shootings as a way to score cheap political points. It’s not to honor their memory or search for solutions.

I agree with your second sentence, but I think the reason is to point out that some  people are obsessed with killing of black people, but only under certain circumstances.

Add me to the list of people who want to know wth happened here. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

People just like to bring up black-on-black violence in Chicago on a thread about white people shootin people in Austin.  Surly gonna Surly.

Only tiny update I could get outta my guy is that two of the 5 are okay now, 3 are still in serious condition and not doing well.  And he thinks that ARCH is covering the story up so as not to frighten their homeless clients.  He thinks the shooter was fed up with something, went a block from the ARCH which is chalk full of sidewalk sleepers/passed-out folks at that time of night and predominantly men of color, and just emptied a pistol into a small group, and then took off.  

Edited by Lobo

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

People just like to bring up black-on-black violence in Chicago on a thread about white people shootin people in Austin.

Oh, the shooter is white?  I had not heard anything about the shooter, nor the victim's identities.

Just now, Js1 said:

BOOOOO. What a shitty argument.  What happened to you?

It's not a shitty argument, thank you. I'm not defending the way Chicago is being used here specifically IF it's deflecting from the need to get to the bottom of and eliminate shootings in Austin, but if we care about one type of injustice elsewhere, it's perfectly fine to care about other kinds of injustice elsewhere. If people in Austin are protesting George Floyd's killing, why is the death toll in Chicago not relevant to a conversation about stopping violence especially via shootings?

It's not a shitty argument, thank you. I'm not defending the way Chicago is being used here specifically IF it's deflecting from the need to get to the bottom of and eliminate shootings in Austin, but if we care about one type of injustice elsewhere, it's perfectly fine to care about other kinds of injustice elsewhere. If people in Austin are protesting George Floyd's killing, why is the death toll in Chicago not relevant to a conversation about stopping violence especially via shootings?

What does either of those examples have to do with this thread?

(Hint—nothing)

Just now, DDD Dad said:

What does either of those examples have to do with this thread?

(Hint—nothing)

No, now, that depends. Shooting in Austin = larger discussion of gun violence = other areas where gun violence is a problem = Chicago

If you think the thread should be 100% limited to just the "Shooting in Austin" part, well first welcome to the Internet! You're going to be miserable here! But second, maybe have some self-restraint and don't get involved in "larger discussion of gun violence = other areas where gun violence is a problem = Chicago". Defund the thread police.

No, now, that depends. Shooting in Austin = larger discussion of gun violence = other areas where gun violence is a problem = Chicago
If you think the thread should be 100% limited to just the "Shooting in Austin" part, well first welcome to the Internet! You're going to be miserable here! But second, maybe have some self-restraint and don't get involved in "larger discussion of gun violence = other areas where gun violence is a problem = Chicago". Defund the thread police.

Interesting. Aren’t there already threads in this forum for both of those?

Or we could just have one big free for all forum with no threads.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DDD Dad said:

Shrug. Up to the mods. I'm not telling you how it should be, I'm telling you what invariably happens unless we get Something Awful style moderation here.

Just now, SwanderedTalent said:

Shrug. Up to the mods. I'm not telling you how it should be, I'm telling you what invariably happens unless we get Something Awful style moderation here.

Why does it always have to be up to the  mods? Maybe you could just try not fuck up threads and learn how to drop an off topic argument instead of insisting on having the last word? Or maybe take your argument to PM's?

Or, just force the mods to be your nanny. It's really just whatever works best for you, I suppose.

• Like 1

A few people in this forum have been posting in the same forum going back to HF and before. That place was heavily over moderated, but since ScattyBevo we really haven’t had too many individuals trying to dictate what and where shit is posted...unless it’s blatant CR crap.

18 minutes ago, Texas_Rocks said:

A few people in this forum have been posting in the same forum going back to HF and before. That place was heavily over moderated, but since ScattyBevo we really haven’t had too many individuals trying to dictate what and where shit is posted...unless it’s blatant CR crap.

Sooooooo....bewbs?

a5c649efe90e7800eba18b898c6268ab1c680285

On 6/24/2020 at 9:35 AM, Lobo said:

People just like to bring up black-on-black violence in Chicago on a thread about white people shootin people in Austin.  Surly gonna Surly.

Uh, yeah, about that...

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/crime/austin-texas-seventh-street-shooting-aggravated-assault/269-cf20ec97-19c9-4555-9d7b-3b3779e709db

AUSTIN, Texas —

Austin police are asking for the public's assistance identifying a man involved in an aggravated assault on East Seventh Street in Downtown Austin. 

Police said the suspect, described as an approximately 20-year-old black man, standing 5-foot-10-inches and weighing 130 pounds, approached a large group of people at approximately 3:04 a.m. in the 500 block of E. Seventh Street and opened fire. The suspect struck five people with the gunfire, causing several victims to be seriously injured, APD said. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Somnio said:

this is still weird.  its like they don't want anyone to know the details of this.  maybe they are embarrased it happened steps from the jail but something is very strange.  people not dying shouldn't matter on this.  this would be huge news in that area of town.  something is strange but the victims(assuming they are able)aren't speaking to the press either.

ATX going full retard the last several years.  Sad to say our little City that was once all about Live Music, being Wierd and chill,  is now gone.  Too many crazies have flocked to the area making it basically a Los Angeles starter kit.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

this is still weird.  its like they don't want anyone to know the details of this.  maybe they are embarrased it happened steps from the jail but something is very strange.  people not dying shouldn't matter on this.  this would be huge news in that area of town.  something is strange but the victims(assuming they are able)aren't speaking to the press either.

This is Austin's equivalent to Skid Row.  There is always crazy ass shit happening in this area.

Several years ago after that guy shot up APD headquarters I was doing some work repairing the building.  Every single day something fucked up would occur.  The cops really didn't seem to care usually.  Although they did intervene when a guy was beating the shit out of a woman on 7th St. under I-35.

Anyways, I'm not sure if it's common knowledge,  but the jail in APD headquarters is no longer used.  When Travis County opened the Central Booking Facility by the courthouse on 10th and Guadalupe the city jail on 7th closed.

So cool story, some of the work we did was on the roof of APD, and to get there we went through the abandoned jail.  It was pretty awesome.

1 hour ago, jdhorn92 said:

ATX going full retard the last several years.  Sad to say our little City that was once all about Live Music, being Wierd and chill,  is now gone.  Too many crazies have flocked to the area making it basically a Los Angeles starter kit.

If by last several you mean 25 or so, you might have a point.  There have been tons of shootings, beatings, the car murderer guy, it’s just a shitty area.  

• Like 1

On 6/24/2020 at 12:51 AM, ImissWallyPryor said:

some  people are obsessed with killing of black people, but only under certain circumstances 

I think you and I disagree on some things around the whole protest/Eyes-driven debates, but this statement is spot-on...

2 hours ago, Somnio said:

This is Austin's equivalent to Skid Row.  There is always crazy ass shit happening in this area.

Several years ago after that guy shot up APD headquarters I was doing some work repairing the building.  Every single day something fucked up would occur.  The cops really didn't seem to care usually.  Although they did intervene when a guy was beating the shit out of a woman on 7th St. under I-35.

Anyways, I'm not sure if it's common knowledge,  but the jail in APD headquarters is no longer used.  When Travis County opened the Central Booking Facility by the courthouse on 10th and Guadalupe the city jail on 7th closed.

So cool story, some of the work we did was on the roof of APD, and to get there we went through the abandoned jail.  It was pretty awesome.

yeah aware that it is basically skid row.  its a weird area.  back in the day bars, jail, homeless, drug dealers, college kids, rednecks all in a about a 2 block area.  I guess I am old. it will always be the jail to me.  picked up a few folks there the "next morning".