Name drop a former college baseball player who may have been forgotten

Goo Punch

Dave Madagan was an absolute monster for Bama when we beat them twice on our way to the championship in 1983.  I know he had a long career in the majors, but was mostly a journeyman (and I only know that because I just looked it up on Wikipedia).  Figured he would be in Cooperstown as dominant as he was in college.

Another guy who doesn't exactly qualify for your list is Robin Ventura, but I mention him because a high school classmate played with him at OSU.  This classmate was the cockiest person I knew, and he told me that Ventura made him look humble.  I wasn't shocked when he charged Nolan.  

Shit, he’s a legend. 

On May 28, 2017, Ford re-signed with the Long Island Ducks of the Atlantic League of Professional Baseball for the 2017 season. 

On February 6, 2018, Ford re-signed with the Long Island Ducks for the 2018 season. 

On January 15, 2019, Ford re-signed with the Ducks for his 10th season with the club, and his sixth as a player-coach.

On January 30, 2020, Ford-resigned with the Ducks for his 11th season, and seventh as player-coach.

He has to be 44-45 years old but he could always run and was a monster at the plate. 

He's won a bunch of awards and random championships over the years. I know he played in Asia, always played winter ball in Latin America too. 

He was a TXHSFB star too, think it was RB or DB, somewhere in the triangle. 

Just found this read from SI, 2019.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/09/13/independent-league-lew-ford-baltimore-orioles

Edited by Goodman

1 hour ago, petscii said:

I saw Lawyer Milloy play for the Huskies at Graves field my first year in Seattle.

Yep, he was our little Bo Jackson.  I'll never forget the game he came up to bat in the 8th inning against Wazzu with a man on 1st, we were down 5-4.  The pitcher threw one inside on him and it hit him.  He goes trotting down to first, but the umpire called him back, saying that he didn't try to get out of the way.  Lawyer and our manager both went nuts and the manager got ejected.  So Lawyer got back in the box and a few pitches later, he hit one over the CF wall to win the game.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Yep, he was our little Bo Jackson.  I'll never forget the game he came up to bat in the 8th inning against Wazzu with a man on 1st, we were down 5-4.  The pitcher threw one inside on him and it hit him.  He goes trotting down to first, but the umpire called him back, saying that he didn't try to get out of the way.  Lawyer and our manager both went nuts and the manager got ejected.  So Lawyer got back in the box and a few pitches later, he hit one over the CF wall to win the game.

Ken Knutson pitching coach at Texas.

9 hours ago, petscii said:

Ken Knutson pitching coach at Texas.

Fun fact: Knutson played for the Alpine Cowboys in 1959.  They went 88-34 and won the "Sophomore League" by 18 games:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/league.cgi?id=70699154

I bought this book one time in Alpine, was flipping through it, and there was a pic of Knutson:

9780292723344.jpg

On 6/21/2020 at 8:37 PM, ss13 said:

Wylie Campbell 

He was a senior at our rival HS when I was a freshman, fucker was badass. Looks like he came back to Austin after his milb career ended. 

Ha!  Wylie ain't forgotten.  He does private coaching work here in Austin.  He and his wife are actually really good friends of ours.  And Wylie is a good, good dude.  His relationship with my son is really key -- he can tell him all the shit that, when Dad says it, it falls on deaf ears.  

9 minutes ago, ss13 said:

This has to be his daughter, right? 

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2319410/

Born in 1980 in Seguin. 

be a lot cooler if she was, but Mickey moved to Pflugerville when his pro career was over and had three sons. his oldest, Clay, got a scholarship to Rice and started at 3B for the Owls in the CWS, which is pretty cool if you ask me. 

edit: i wouldn't be surprised if she was a cousin to his kids. his middle son is one of my best friends and they have a ton of cousins/aunts/uncles all over Texas, including/especially central Texas. 

Edited by Goo Punch

Yeah, probably a cousin. This obituary links the names. 

Wilbert is survived by his loving wife Velma Hurta Reichenbach with whom he shared a loving marriage for the past 69 years. He is also survived by children; Roy Reichenbach and wife Mary, Don Reichenbach, Patricia Reichenbach, Mickey Reichenbach and wife Diane, Kelly and wife Earlene Reichenbach, grandchildren; Carrie and husband Clint Soope, Kimberly and husband Dan Krutka, Russell and wife Shanda Reichenbach, Chris Reichenbach, Clay and wife Emily Reichenbach, Ryan Reichenbach, Raeann Murray, Wade and wife Kacie Murray, Leigh and husband Drew Ingram, Joel Biggerstaff, Jennifer Budge and Lindsay Reid; great-grandchildren, Autumn, James, and Joel Biggerstaff, Ryan and Reagan Reichenbach, and Kennedy Reichenbach, and Isaac Soope, and brother; Leroy Reichenbach