Commuting in Austin

Focused on high schools with commute from Hyde Park to Westlake, Vandegrift, and then Lake Travis. Self driving Tesla’s aside (don’t have one), what is the nut kick to happy family ratio? Daughters in 6th and 9th, so more at the volleyball club phase vs downtown culture. I haven’t lived in ATX in 20+ years.

I don't understand the question. 

If you are going out 2222 or 620 for anything during "rush hour" (8-930am, 430-630pm) kiss an hour goodbye each way. Not enough road for too many people. 

Idk the rest of your weirdly phrased question but if you have to go to those 3 places often hyde park is not where you should live. 

I think he’s working in Hyde Park and trying to figure out which district to live in.

Westlake would be the quickest commute probably. Vandegrift next. Lake Travis would be my last choice.

I’d rather my kids go to V than Westlake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes, would be commuting from Hyde Park, trying to decide where to live. More interested in kid / family life with great schools, but hear that commute is tough. Although one buddy implied the worst traffic is getting past Mopac and the incremental of say Vandegrift to Lake Travis wasn’t the hard part.

All 3 are great schools. I like the LT area the best with Westlake a close second and Vandy a distant third. How flexible is your start time?

I (used to) go downtown from Bee Cave several times per week. I can usually make it in under thirty minutes there and then again back, if I leave a little later in the morning and then either earlier in the evening or later in the evening. If you can avoid the normal commute times, its a pretty nice drive down Southwest Pkwy. But i live in Bee Cave. 620 is a different story. 

All three are great schools and areas. You cant go wrong with any of them.

Are you sure you're talking about the Hyde Park neighborhood in Austin, almost immediately north of the University of Texas?  38th to 51st & Ih-35 to Guadalupe?  I don't want to get into your personal business, but are there even any employers in that neighborhood besides cafes.  But if you absolutely, positively need to live right next to where you work and you can somehow magically figure out that you don't live anywhere near those high schools, and you apparently have another plan altogether for your junior high kid, then Hyde Park to Vandegrift is your best bet.  It's sorta "contra-flow" commute in AM and PM.  Not great, but not awful.  Westlake will be a distant second in both time and distance (you'll have to make 4 mopac crossings a day right at its most congested stretch).  And then a near insane move would be to go with Lake Travis H.S.  I can't even conceive of a dignified way to get there each morning, nevermind getting out of Central Austin and heading significantly west either via Bee Caves Road or 2222, 620 is an absolute parking lot in both directions near the school each morning (I made a commute from South Austin to Lakeway for over a year and that route is insane).  

As many stated above, I don't understand your question.  Are these just high schools that host volleyball activities that both daughters will be participating in after school and they'll attend school proper back in Hyde Park?  And again, I don't mean to pry but I've met thousands of Austin transplants over the years and I've never heard, "I moved here to take a job in Hyde Park."  

Edited by Lobo

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Are you sure you're talking about the Hyde Park neighborhood in Austin, almost immediately north of the University of Texas?  38th to 51st & Ih-35 to Guadalupe?  I don't want to get into your personal business, but are there even any employers in that neighborhood besides cafes.  But if you absolutely, positively need to live right next to where you work and you can somehow magically figure out that you don't live anywhere near those high schools, and you apparently have another plan altogether for your junior high kid, then Hyde Park to Vandegrift is your best bet.  It's sorta "contra-flow" commute in AM and PM.  Not great, but not awful.  Westlake will be a distant second in both time and distance (you'll have to make 4 mopac crossings a day right at its most congested stretch).  And then a near insane move would be to go with Lake Travis H.S.  I can't even conceive of a dignified way to get there each morning, nevermind getting out of Central Austin and heading significantly west either via Bee Caves Road or 2222, 620 is an absolute parking lot in both directions near the school each morning (I made a commute from South Austin to Lakeway for over a year and that route is insane).  

As many stated above, I don't understand your question.  Are these just high schools that host volleyball activities that both daughters will be participating in after school and they'll attend school proper back in Hyde Park?  And again, I don't mean to pry but I've met thousands of Austin transplants over the years and I've never heard, "I moved here to take a job in Hyde Park."  

I think he will be working in HP but wants to live in one of the three areas.

If you choose to live where your residence will be zoned to Vandergrift yet you commute to a job in Hyde Park then you want to live in Riverplace. DO NOT buy a house where you have to go through the 620/2222 intersection in the AM. You will have major ragrets. Even when the intersection construction underway now is complete in about 18 months I have significant doubts the congestion will get better.