Joel Schumacher dead

Michael Knight

Man, he made alot of bad movies

Joel Schumacher, costume designer-turned-director of films including “St. Elmo’s Fire,” “The Lost Boys” and “Falling Down,” as well as two “Batman” films, died in New York City on Monday morning after a year-long battle with cancer. He was 80.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/joel-schumacher-dead-dies-batman-director-1234644961/amp/?fbclid=IwAR0SBa8VPswKZvWh0WiwB07oOjf_8Zk7WXZmCEYcin2GOvnKnjczCFJ2qIY

32 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Falling Down is underrated.

We're still dealing with the falling out of that motion picture, but in real life.  

Saint Elmo's Fire did "insist upon itself" in terms of aesthetics, but it was a decent story and holds up well these years later.  But if you're near my age, that movie, Incredible Shrinking Woman, The Lost Boys, Flatliners, A Time to Kill, and Flawless were damn good movies during our teens and 20's.  

But seriously, I wish him peace in his passing to the other side and I hope he wasn't tortured by the fact that he made "D.C. Cab" on his way out.  My god, 

That's the beauty of "Wall Street" though, everybody in the movie was a piece of shit except Martin Sheen.  And you hated everyone in it, or at least didn't feel sorry for them, but you still liked the movie.  That's hard to do, nowadays many of us given up on movies/series because everybody ends up a piece of garbage (I can't watch "Billions" or "Ozark" anymore, two money-driven movies because everybody is fucking horrible).  That was the case in Wall Street, but I still loved the movie.  

Anyway, back to Joel and "Falling Down".....there was a leading indicator with William Foster (Douglas' role) that Joel was very prescient about.  We can take it to CR.  But his tone was well ahead of his time.  He really had some great moments of direction, even in his crappy movies.  A great breadth to his career, he will be missed.

2 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

Man, he made alot of bad movies

Joel Schumacher, costume designer-turned-director of films including “St. Elmo’s Fire,” “The Lost Boys” and “Falling Down,” as well as two “Batman” films, died in New York City on Monday morning after a year-long battle with cancer. He was 80.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/joel-schumacher-dead-dies-batman-director-1234644961/amp/?fbclid=IwAR0SBa8VPswKZvWh0WiwB07oOjf_8Zk7WXZmCEYcin2GOvnKnjczCFJ2qIY

2 hours ago, yoladu said:

truly. i went through his IMDB page thinking i could probably find one movie that i wouldn't mind re-watching.

there were none.

Bad movies? WTF

The Lost Boys

Flatliners

Falling Down

A Time to Kill

Tigerland

Those are bad movies? 

26 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Not to get too Cloak Room, but we should have seen trouble coming decades ago when tons of people watched Wall Street and Falling Down and thought to themselves, “Michael Douglas was right in both of those movies!”   I guess add Colonel Jessup from A Few Good Men to the mix, too, but my theory seems more elegant when it’s tied strictly to Michael Douglas roles. 

Anyway, Schumacher’s filmography is fine before Batman & Robin.  It sure gets shitty after that, though.

Edit - Sweet Fancy Moses, I just checked his filmography and 8mm with Nicolas Cage opened number 1 at the box office and made double its budget.  I am getting nostalgic remembering that 3 year period when Nicolas Cage was like Tom Cruise at the box office except in pure shit movies like Face Off, Con Air, and this.  How tf did that happen?

Shut your whore mouth. Face/Off was damn good.

DC Cab was his worst movie and parts of it was fucking funny.

“Why are women so uptight? They've got half the money and all the pussy.

“Bruce Lee ain't dead you know. They got him krytonized down in Chatsworth, he's jammed in a silo and he's frozen hard as a carp. And they're gonna melt him down as soon as the economy gets better.”