Austin evening happinings?

Grimas

Headed to Austin next weekend for a corporate gig (MotoGP) and I was asked where we should go in the evenings (Friday and Sat night) as I went to school there 30 years ago.... Staying downtown at the Omni but understand 6th isn't a place to go...  Any suggestions for a bunch of 40-50 year olds to have a few drinks and look at some "scenery"?  It's been any years that I've been to Austin without wife and family in tow and have no clue where to go for an evening out. And no, not looking for a titty bar...

Austin nightlife these days has an inevitable level of douchiness no matter where you go.  That said, I went to Roosevelt Room on 5th Street a few months ago with some friends of mine (all in the mid-40s range) and it seemed like a pretty good spot without an insufferable clientele.  There was some decent eye candy there as well.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2018 at 3:24 PM, Grimas said:

Headed to Austin next weekend for a corporate gig (MotoGP) and I was asked where we should go in the evenings (Friday and Sat night) as I went to school there 30 years ago.... Staying downtown at the Omni but understand 6th isn't a place to go...  Any suggestions for a bunch of 40-50 year olds to have a few drinks and look at some "scenery"?  It's been any years that I've been to Austin without wife and family in tow and have no clue where to go for an evening out. And no, not looking for a titty bar...

6th is always a place to go.  get your mind right. 

Thanks!  When you say West 6th, are to talking between Congress and Lamar or further west between Lamar and MoPac?  Last time we did lunch at El Arroyo, it seemed that the area between it and Treaty Oak park had really gotten developed...

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 3:24 PM, Grimas said:

Is this why the hotels are so god damn expensive this weekend?   It's worse than a UT Football weekend down there.

7 minutes ago, Grimas said:

Thanks!  When you say West 6th, are to talking between Congress and Lamar or further west between Lamar and MoPac?  Last time we did lunch at El Arroyo, it seemed that the area between it and Treaty Oak park had really gotten developed...

Between West Ave and San Antonio is your sweet spot on 6th. 

The "scenery" in the area 4th & Five described is un-real. Also, though there are your typical club type places, there are also bars you can go to in that area that won't make you feel like a dinosaur at 40-50. Your co-workers will think you're a hero among men.

Thanks Torn - that's what I'm looking for... I was actually looking forward to going to the Orange and White game but was told I have to attend a dinner at 3 Forks that night. I'd rather see it than the good steak... We booked something like 60 rooms a year ago for e GP as we are one of the major sponsors...

Edited by Grimas

Saxon Pub on South Congress is still dope. I love The Elephant Room, but not everyone is into jazz so it's not for everyone. If you're trying to impress people you work with, or just have some good drinks in a more low key spot, you can book a table at Midnight Cowboy. It's pretty fun to wade through the ratchet on Dirty 6th then go through a the hidden door into a speakeasy and pay quite a bit of money, close to NYC prices, for pretty good but not mind blowing cocktails. Easy Tiger on 6th east of Red River is great and not full of the shitty 6th people. West 6th is alright but I wouldn't call it great fun. Good talent scouting, but also full of douchebags and frat bros who cant come to terms with the fact that they're not in college anymore.

Saturday night had a bunch of Canadians wanting to do the Paino bar on 6th.  Had a hard night on Friday night so bailed on most of my group who wanted to remain on 6th. A few of us walked down to Rainey after having walked past a bunch of places that were pretty dead on W. Congress.  Not as happing as Friday night but ended up at Craft at the southern end of Rainey.  The beer hall up the street closed at midnight (WTF?) but the guy I dealt with behind the bar knew his beers... he would have easily fit in at the old G&M Steakhouse with his attitude but was a hoot...