Thunder vs Jazz

Machinator

15 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Did the Jazz just bust out with new unis and a new court just for this game? WTF?

Hahahahahaha, guess you haven't seen even a highlight of Utah this yr.   They've worn A LOT at home this season.

• Like 1

I wish the league would do something about all of these clear path or what I call "breakaway" fouls. Westbrook just grabbed Mitchell to stop a fast break and it is treated as just a common foul, which is lame. If the NBA would give the foul and possession of the ball to the offense, it would stop all of that. I feel the same way about the off ball fouls at the end of games. It kills the flow of the game and it's clearly intentional and should be called as such.

32 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

I wish the league would do something about all of these clear path or what I call "breakaway" fouls. Westbrook just grabbed Mitchell to stop a fast break and it is treated as just a common foul, which is lame. If the NBA would give the foul and possession of the ball to the offense, it would stop all of that. I feel the same way about the off ball fouls at the end of games. It kills the flow of the game and it's clearly intentional and should be called as such.

There's one...

4 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

westbrook didn't take a shot in the 4th quarter.  lmfao.

I'd expect a shitload more out of him Game 4.  That being said, Utah was the scariest also ran - everyone is an also ran but Houston/GS...

Not making excuses for Russ...I thought he was MJ level, this was sobering...

Edit: MJ level in handling an opponent - I watched all the bulls championships and the losses too (knicks/detroit years)...not sure I recall MJ getting lit like WB was against Rubio....

Edited by ChiTownDoc

1 hour ago, immortal13 said:

Westbrook is the anti-MJ

I think an agreement is due... He (Westbrook) has similar athleticism of Jordan, but the aptitude of 6th man off the bench...

As far as myself watching the game last night:

I spent the last quarter of the game watching "Homicide Hunter" on Investigation Discovery channel, as it's more interesting to solve a crime than watch the one displayed by the Thunder coaching staff, for a national audience over on ESPN...

Things might turn around, but the team might need a coaching change when Donovan makes the counterpart (Snyder) on the opposing bench look like Popovich...

• Haha 1

Kobe is the only comp to MJ in my mind.  It is almost like Kobe's pregame ritual was to watch an MJ highlight tape, pick 1-2 moves from that tape to master that day, use them in a game.  incredible how he modeled his game like MJ and I guess we shouldn't be surprised that Kobe became HOF worthy using the same moves.

Edited by Jhawk

3 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

I remember when Jerry Stackhouse was the next Michael Jordan....

But there's no MJ except for MJ

Man there were about 10 "next MJ's" in the early 90's.  Harold Miner comes immediately to mind

Kind of like wiggins with lebron.  The hype around him at KU was crazy and he was good and would have been great at the college level.  But Raef Lafrentz and Nick Collison were elite at the college level.  Wiggins is awesome and I love that he was a jayhawk, but as mentioned in my posts about embiid, he just wasn't "special" like embiid felt. He definitely isn't "special" like Lebron is.  I never understood the lebron 2.0 with ihm coming out of HS.

6 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

Meant to mention that I think Donovan is coaching for his job this series.  I can't see how you can bring him back with a 1st round exit.

He should've been gone.    He is nothing more than an extension of Brooks.    The only play I have seen OKC run since he has been there is the one that sets up the backdoor lob for Roberson.   You can say its Russ' fault if  you like but there has never been any sort of offensive structure in OKC.

Which is exactly why their big 3 didn't score a point in the 4th the other night.  Everyone is just standing around waiting for whoever has the ball (PG13, melo, russ, KD) to make a play.  Not a shred of offense is run like it is for 3 quarters of the game (arguably 2 since they stink in the 3rd quarter).

18 minutes ago, d2o said:

He should've been gone.    He is nothing more than an extension of Brooks.    The only play I have seen OKC run since he has been there is the one that sets up the backdoor lob for Roberson.   You can say its Russ' fault if  you like but there has never been any sort of offensive structure in OKC.

It's Russ's " fault." They brought in Donovan specifically for his motion offense principles at UF. I sincerely doubt that he just decided "fuck it" when he arrived. But there's only so much you can do with Russ"s ball dominance and complete unwillingness to move without the ball. You've always got to coach to the strengths of your best players in the NBA. In Donovan's first season, OKC was the 2nd best offense in the league and a hiccup away from the Finals. I wonder how much traction he got in the following training camp assuming he did try to overhaul the system when KD left.

D'Antoni got absolutely nowhere trying to implement his offense work Kobe, and got made out to look like a bum because of it. And D'Antoni has way more NBA skins on the wall than Donovan.

Not sure how you can put this on Donovan alone. At Florida, they ran a lot of different sets, lots of players in motion, particularly the 1-4 guys. I don't think he just forgot how to coach an offense, it's more likely the culture of the team overtaking the performance on the floor, similar to David Blatt when he was in Cleveland. KD wasn't exactly conducive to this style of play when he was in OKC, and it took him a while to assimilate to the GS offense too. He definitely had some ISO stubbornness stuck in his head for a while before he fully embraced the Warriors system. However, in OKC, it doesn't appear anyone will be embracing a new offensive philosophy this decade.  

It also doesn't help that they brought in one of the most selfish ISO players in the world in Melo. That was a bad decision by Presti. Melo is constantly exploited by opposing offenses, and needs to be coming of the bench next year. 

Here are numerous sets and plays utilized under Donovan at Florida. Lots of movement, lots of layered screens, lots of pick moves for the guys with the ball, and guys getting to a position for an open spot. There's so much more flow to their game, but you need guys like Westbrook and Melo to be willing to set screens to make a lot of this work, and I don't think I have seen either of them do that this series. 

I don't think it is a Donovan problem, but it is donovan's problem.  I'm just saying that he is either going to get 3 all stars to the second round or he is going to be fired.  It will also probably be incorporated in any pitch to PG13.  Hard to keep HCBD if the soon to be free agent doesn't see a future in OKC unless the coach is changed.  I don't think that PG is going to ask for change but if the current coach can't get the 3 of them out of the 1st round you know he is going to wonder what a second year is going to bring and you don't want him to wonder that.  You want him to know that the thunder are a finals caliber team if you're going to try and keep PG13.

Donovan was brought in to incorporate a more stylistic motion offense.  Durant left in part because he wanted to play this style as well.  I'm not sure D'Antoni could get a motion offense to work with Westbrook running the point.  He couldn't with Kobe so some players simply won't allow this style of play to dominate, for whatever reasons.  I agree that if Utah wins this series, Donovan's job is in great peril.  Then again, PG probably bounces anyway....