Name your painful injuries

markstanco

I had a torn rotator cuff that I never had fixed. My horse threw me and I landed on my bad shoulder. When I went in to get it fixed they repaired the torn rotator cuff, replaced all the tendons with transplants, and reattached my biceps muscle which had detached. Rehab was a bitch, but I eventually regained about 95% of my range of motion and became pain free for the first time in about ten years. That was about ten years ago and it’s still going strong.

• Like 1

I broke my patella in half. That was a shitty night. I had just finished rehab for the acl on the same knee and got the all clear from the doc two days earlier.  Thought it was a dislocation at first. Got a friend to drive me home and I stayed in my recliner all weekend until Monday when I could get in to see my Ortho. While I'm in the exam room waiting for the doc a resident comes in and starts the acl exam on my leg. I'm about to pass out because my acl is fine but my kneecap is literally split in two horizontally. Doc walks in and flips shit on the resident. He pinned the two pieces together surgically the next day and I got to bust my crutches out for six more weeks.

once when I was mountain biking I fell over onto a stump, and a 6 inch piece of a broken branch pointing up from the stump stabbed into my buttock. I was literally impaled on the stump. My friend heard me screaming and came back and had to grab my arms and pull me off the stump. I thought I was going to bleed to death on the drive to the hospital.  I have a scar there that looks like I took a bullet.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, High Plains Drifter said:

once when I was mountain biking I fell over onto a stump, and a 6 inch piece of a broken branch pointing up from the stump stabbed into my buttock. I was literally impaled on the stump. My friend heard me screaming and came back and had to grab my arms and pull me off the stump. I thought I was going to bleed to death on the drive to the hospital.  I have a scar there that looks like I took a bullet.

Geezus fuck.

One of my childhood playmates was for some strange reason climbing over the back fence at his family home, fell off the fence, and impaled himself on one of those tall slender sprinkler heads.  It went up his inguinal canal.  That is the passage from which your nuts descend.  

Good thing his dad was the attending surgeon for JFK.  Apparently it wasnt that painful because he passed out almost immediately.

14 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

I broke my patella in half. That was a shitty night. I had just finished rehab for the acl on the same knee and got the all clear from the doc two days earlier.  Thought it was a dislocation at first. Got a friend to drive me home and I stayed in my recliner all weekend until Monday when I could get in to see my Ortho. While I'm in the exam room waiting for the doc a resident comes in and starts the acl exam on my leg. I'm about to pass out because my acl is fine but my kneecap is literally split in two horizontally. Doc walks in and flips shit on the resident. He pinned the two pieces together surgically the next day and I got to bust my crutches out for six more weeks.

Twice recently I smacked my kneecap on the handlebar of my mountain bike.  At the time, felt like your usual knee smack, kinda hurt but not that bad.

However, apparently I dented or dinged the tendon overlying it and it got tight and really sore.  Any time it hadn't moved for a while, but particularly when the knee was bent, it was excruciating when it started moving again. 

I've broken a collarbone and had a mallet fracture recently that weren't really that painful if you didn't make a false move.

24 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

The best part was the ice cream, right?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

One in a million shot?

• Like 1

Early leader in the clubhouse.

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I had a torn rotator cuff that I never had fixed. My horse threw me and I landed on my bad shoulder. When I went in to get it fixed they repaired the torn rotator cuff, replaced all the tendons with transplants, and reattached my biceps muscle which had detached. Rehab was a bitch, but I eventually regained about 95% of my range of motion and became pain free for the first time in about ten years. That was about ten years ago and it’s still going strong.

I tore my rotator cuff in college playing football on Freshman Field. Never had it repaired, and it would pop out on me a random times, like when diving into water. It finally strengthened up - and I guess healed to some degree - after playing catch with my son for a dozen years. I think taking it easy on the little guy before progressively throwing harder was good therapy. I still had to warm up slowly because it always started out stiff. 

1 hour ago, High Plains Drifter said:

So, you took the length?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I was tailgating in Ames and did a fake golf shot. In my backswing, my left knee twisted some how and i fell. Applied ice the rest of the tailgate and went to the game. I stood on one foot the entire game and couldn’t sleep for the life of me that night. Couldn’t even go bar hopping it was so bad. Knee swelled up the size of a cantaloupe. Same night Lagarrette Blount punched the Boise st player so that sorta helped distract me. My dad drove a fan bus there so I hitched a ride back on the bus.X-ray said I “tore some blood veins” or some shit. After a few days laid up on crutches I was able to walk and bowled on it a few weeks later.

Funny part about this was the next morning, a cyclone fan asked me what my jersey number was for NDSU as he helped me to the bus. Nooo no good sir...hurt myself tailgating

back spasms. One time was so bad that I rode to the hospital in the back seat in the floor board on all fours because that's the only position that didn't light me up.  

Can't breathe. Can't get dressed/ undressed without help. Can't fucking move without feeling like a high voltage cable is plugged into your back.. Hurts bad enough to cry even though I still try not to give a fuck.  Lots of profanity involved...

Luckily, I've learned to manage it through exercise/ stretches and have not had episodes in multiple years now.  It is truly debilitating and makes you wish for death.

• Like 2

Broke and tore ligaments in same ankle on two occasions.  1st time it was a flopper that twigged out errbody present.

Peeled back finger nails like an open car hood when handle on generator pull cord broke and somehow my hand and fingers got caught in flywheel coverguard  

While trying to drive a T post into very hard ground, I decided to put a little more ass into my efforts and really bring the ram down hard and caught the edge of the ram on the top of the T post.  The downward momentum flipped the ram (which by the way had a sledge hammer welded to it to provide extra weight and force) and it hit me square on top of the head, splitting my scalp, blood everywhere and a giant knot and headache.  I dropped to my knees but never went out  (the kid has a chin like a rock).  It hurt like hell  

Smashed dick into rocks when the bumper dumper decided to break.   Luckily the dumping part had yet to commence and my giblets where somehow saved from injury but my pecker got smashed into the rocks and dirt.  That was on a Saturday. Come Monday morning I had my annual physical. When my doc got to the cough test portion of the exam he gave me the "WTF?" look when he saw my black and blue Johnson.  He commented that I must have had one helluva weekend.

Edited by deadshank
Clarity

1 hour ago, Iceman said:

back spasms. One time was so bad that I rode to the hospital in the back seat in the floor board on all fours because that's the only position that didn't light me up.  

Can't breathe. Can't get dressed/ undressed without help. Can't fucking move without feeling like a high voltage cable is plugged into your back.. Hurts bad enough to cry even though I still try not to give a fuck.  Lots of profanity involved...

Luckily, I've learned to manage it through exercise/ stretches and have not had episodes in multiple years now.  It is truly debilitating and makes you wish for death.

Same issue since I was a kid. No rhyme or reason what brings it on, but it's 0-10 pain in a split second.  Walked into the kitchen a year ago to fry a couple eggs.  I reached for a plastic spatula, and when I picked it up somebody sneaked up behind me, and jabbed a serrated knife in the middle of my back.  Pain lasts a few days coming, and going then disappears just like that.  

The worst was flying back from a ski trip 2 years ago.  Nothing on my ski days should have caused a flare up, typical falls, nothing serious. I slept on a friends very, very soft sofa the night before we flew out, that's what did it I think. Any movement would drop me to my Knees, and I couldn't breathe, can't even speak while the pain builds, and subsides.  Flying with that kind of pain sucks balls.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, futureman said:

shot in the dark but initials R.J.?  the dad. 

Yup.  I am gonna guess you knew the younger sister.

Guess it's a product of my age, but I had two friends whose Dads were attending at Parkland in November 1963.

Edited by TwiceHorn

2 hours ago, deadshank said:

Smashed dick into rocks when the bumper dumper decided to break.   Luckily the dumping part had yet to commence and my giblets where somehow saved from injury but my pecker got smashed into the rocks and dirt.  That was on a Saturday. Come Monday morning I had my annual physical. When my doc got to the cough test portion of the exam he gave me the "WTF?" look when he saw my black and blue Johnson.  He commented that I must have had one helluva weekend.

your lucky it didn't turn into gangrene and fall off

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penile_fracture

2 hours ago, deadshank said:

2 hours ago, Iceman said:

True back spasms where your back totally locks up are a biiiiitch. I had that happen twice in my late 20’s. We all know people with back problems, but I have to laugh to myself when they say their back is locking up on them. No, you are having painful back spasms. The moment you are incapacitated to the point that you can barely crawl to the bathroom to take a piss (forget standing up to pee), then your back has locked up on you. 

9 hours ago, markstanco said:

Per my garmin watch, the last 7 days I have averaged just under 4 hours of sleep with my torn rotator cuff and 5 bonus tendons. This is got damn painful.

Those who have gone through it or similar do your story.

2 weeks ago today I had rotator cuff repair to all four tendons, two of which were complete tears that had retracted across humerus head.  First 2.5 days were absolutely miserable.  Had the nerve block, lidocaine catheter and oxy.  I have had a lot of orthopedic surgeries due to a false sense of ability and never stopping when I should have.  Nothing compares to the pain of this surgery.  

Good news is that after icing with the machine for 60 straight hours, I pulled out the catheter and stopped taking oxy.   By the evening of 3rd day, I felt pretty good.  I took my arm out of the sling every couple hours and straightened elbow/did hand exercises.  I slept in a recliner for 5 nights.  By the end of the first week, I was in the sling 50% of the time.  This week I stopped sleeping with the sling at night and don't wear it during the day.  Only wear the sling when driving and hiking.  I am trying to walk at least 5 miles per day.  I can 100% complete all of the range of motion exercises allowed.  I don't start pt until 3 more weeks.  After a very rough start, I am very happy with the progress.

1. Back surgery as a little boy. I have four fused vertebrae and my left shoulder is my bad shoulder.

2. Brother slit my wrist while we were fighting in the kitchen. Thankfully it was a serrated bread knife and not a carving knife. I still have a 2" scar.

3. Forehead sliced off at 12-years old. And a chunk off of my nose. Skin graft from thigh on nose so I have one hair that grows. Thankfully brother picked forehead off windshield and brought it to the hospital where we met my dad at the E.R. He grabbed a general surgeon friend and that fellow sewed it back on. That was a rough day. The subsequent plastic surgeries where they cut out the scar was extremely painful because I insisted on a local and a few times watched. I was afraid to be put to sleep for a few years because I walked into the hospital and could see and after they sewed the forehead back on they had the bandages all down to the tip of my nose, because of the graft, and when I woke my eyes were open and I couldn't see. I thought I lost my eyes. I didn't.

4. Broken kneecap in a soccer game. one of the worst pains I have ever felt. After a couple hours I could not even touch my toe to the floor. Thankfully did not require surgery.

5. Hernia. Gave that to myself doing kickbacks. Had to have it done a second time to add a couple more stitches inside.

6. November 2010, slight tear to my left rotator. I flinched while benching. December 2010, climbing rocks in Georgia I slipped and slightly tore my right rotator. I did not sleep well for over a year. No surgery. My rotation is bad already so I rehabbed myself. Missed almost two years of benching. Bench is now back up over 200.

11 hours ago, markstanco said:

Per my garmin watch, the last 7 days I have averaged just under 4 hours of sleep with my torn rotator cuff and 5 bonus tendons. This is got damn painful.

Not sure there's enough available bandwidth.

• Like 2

Maybe it's my Nordic genes, but I think I have a fairly high pain tolerance.  I've broken several bones(ankle, tibia, wrist, fingers).  All sucked, but manageable

2 things stand out:

1- Having an intense gout attack in my foot several years ago was pretty much at the top of the list.  I used to get it in my foot/ankle the most.  Excruciating pain almost to the point of nausea.  A bed sheet shifting across my foot was enough to almost bring me to tears.

2- Dog bite-  The bite itself wasn't all that bad, required a few stitches.  Went to get it looked at at an Urgent  Care place.  The tear was on the palm of my hand.  Doc goes to clean it out, but doesn't numb the area...proceeds to squirt a bunch of saline solution directly in the wound for what seemed like minutes.  You could see the fat/muscle in my had moving around. 

11 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Soooo...you got stump broke eh?

Neck/back spasm.  I went to bend over to pick something up when I was at work and the worst pain I have ever felt in my life hit me.  I could move my head.  Driving home from work was an adventure.  Getting into bed and then getting up to use the bathroom, man that was excruciating.  I really considered just pissing on myself.  

• Haha 1

I have had to have an eyelid reattached.

I have had a dog bit me on the face which required a plastic surgeon to rebuild part of my upper lip.

1 head laceration which required stitches.

aaand pinched the tip of my right index finger right above the top knuckle.  

All of these before I turned 7 years of age.

As far as adult era... was involved in a jeep rollover that left me with 4-5 staples in my skull and shoulder and neck issues for a few years.  I still have to go to rehab every so often for the shoulder.  I was basically thrown out of the jeep and landed on my shoulder\head.  Felt like I had been hit by Al Capone with a baseball bat.

1 hour ago, midtown said:

I broke my fifth metatarsal.   Shockingly excruciating.  Way worse than tearing my knee or ac joint in my shoulder or anything else that I can remember

I broke mine and worked 2 more days.

3rd day I couldn’t fucking walk. LOLz.

12 hours ago, markstanco said:

Multiple rotator cuff and bicep tendon injuries in my right shoulder so I deal with the exact same shit. I came to this thread to post this exactly. 

Forgot two.  

I had full open knee surgery in 1989.  Back when they make a 8 inch cut in your knee and pulled the skin over to do the work and stitch it back up vs today with tiny little incisions on an out patient.   However many days or weeks after I had a follow up appt.   The nurse says "today we are going to get that stitch out."   I'm thinking no worries they are going to numb it up.  NOPE.  She grabs a pair of pliers and just starts pulling on one end.   Searing pain as that 10 inch stitch wove its way out.   A little warning next time?

Had MRSA several years ago in my quad.   I think I documented the pics on the last site.   A week after the draining and gauze packing under a local they call me back in to change it out.   Once I again I assume they are going to shoot me some local.  NOPE AGAIN.   Having that gauze pulled out and new packing put back in was BRUTAL.

I broke my fifth metatarsal.   Shockingly excruciating.  Way worse than tearing my knee or ac joint in my shoulder or anything else that I can remember

Came here for this. I’ve broke, bruised, or sprained all sorts of toes and fingers. Had lower back bulging disks and spasms that caused.

5th metatarsal and crack in the growth plate of the cuboid, wins/loses the pain scale going away.

When I was in Junior High my friends and I had a rope swing set up in the woods.  We had a homemade wooden ladder nailed to the side of a tree and we would climb up about 25 feet and swing out on the rope and back to the ladder.  One weekend I swung out on the rope and when I let go and grabbed the ladder it came loose from the tree. I fell down about 25 feet and landed flat on my back still holding the ladder in front of me.  When it hit me in the face I basically bit my lower lip off.  It was hanging by a small shred of skin.  My friends and I rode our bikes over to the house of the nearest friend with my lip flapping in the breeze.  Luckily my friend's mom was an ER nurse.  It took about 70 stitches to reconnect my lip.  That was one of the  first weeks of summer. 

20 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

When I was in Junior High my friends and I had a rope swing set up in the woods.  We had a homemade wooden ladder nailed to the side of a tree and we would climb up about 25 feet and swing out on the rope and back to the ladder.  One weekend I swung out on the rope and when I let go and grabbed the ladder it came loose from the tree. I fell down about 25 feet and landed flat on my back still holding the ladder in front of me.  When it hit me in the face I basically bit my lower lip off.  It was hanging by a small shred of skin.  My friends and I rode our bikes over to the house of the nearest friend with my lip flapping in the breeze.  Luckily my friend's mom was an ER nurse.  It took about 70 stitches to reconnect my lip.  That was one of the  first weeks of summer. 

So when you dad said “don’t give me any lip” you really could. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, markstanco said:

If you're doing it without Ambien, you're doing it wrong.  That's the key to sleeping after shoulder injury/shoulder.

I have a good tolerance for pain.  Busted myself on a ski jump once.  Got up and clutched my arm to my chest and skied with one-arm the rest of the day.  Thought it was a sprain of something.  Few days later went to the doc and found out it was a clean fracture of the metacarpal in the hand.

However, I had septoplasty once, and the 2 weeks of recovery was the most excruciating 2 weeks of my life.