Name your painful injuries

markstanco

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/24/2020 at 10:57 PM, Enchubben said:

Sliced off a chunk of my knee slide tackling in soccer game. Apparently one the the metal sprinkler heads wasn’t removed before the game. 

Not an injury per say in the traditional sense, but had gallbladder pancreatitis this past fall and almost died from it. It was bad, and it was painful, and it sucked for a long time.

Out of all my shit, this was without a doubt the most painful thing to have. Trips to the hospital of at least two weeks at a time sucking up IV Demerol every three hours. Finally got bad enough I was on a Dilaudid drip with IV push Dilaudid every 2 hours. If ever I'm a drug addict I want it to be Dilaudid. Wonderful stuff, it is.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

lifeguard at age 19. we were doing lifeguard drills.  I was sitting on the high lifeguard chair with my guard tube hanging next to me on a nail for easy grab and go use

this is pretty close:

23125-212-1A-Zoomin.jpg

anyway, in this drill another guard is acting as if she broke her back from the floating dock in the middle of the pond and is floating face down, and I have to jump off the chair, into the water, grabbing the tube above and in normal circumstances as you dive into the water you are supposed to slip your head through the loop above so that you can swim unhindered to the victim, then use it as a floation device once there.

i start the drill, grab the tube, go to jump in the water, planning on jumping through the loop and get to the "victim" but at the absolute last milisecond, i decide to dive into the water holding the floating device and changed to getting the loop around my neck after I was in the water....

as I jump an invisible force, rips the tube out of my hands, and i pretty much flop into the water instead of dive in... but I keep swimming to the victim, and do the normal actions of flipping her onto her back while trying to brace her back when I flip her over, as soon as shes on her back she starts screaming, I mean blood curdling....  and we arent supposed to be acting here, its just a drill, she tells me i need to let her go and look at my fucking finger...

I do and... yeah something is not right... my pinkie looks similar to this

display?urlToken=579d7fc0ab939b097842fe5

but my injury was worse, all 3 bones in the finger had broken and the 2 joints had discloated.

instead of my pinkie having 3 bones in a straight line like  normal of bone-joint-bone-joint-bone

my finger was dislocated (in all 3 places) and flipped backwards  to the back of my hand, and it was

bone

bone

bone

stacked on TOP of each other no longer linear.

ended up getting surgery to fix and the pinkie to this day isnt straight.

so my training fail was on tape, turned out the rest of the strap from the rescue buoy managed to form a small loop and get wrapped around the same nail that the buoy was hanging on so that when I jumped, the buoy loop held, ripping it out of my hand, fucking up my pinkie.     

fun part is, if, just before I had dove into the water,  and I had thrown the loop around my head and neck like I had planned (and was trained to do), would have broken my neck from the force and been dead. 

Edited by AUS-97HORN

41 minutes ago, happyhookem said:

Out of all my shit, this was without a doubt the most painful thing to have. Trips to the hospital of at least two weeks at a time sucking up IV Demerol every three hours. Finally got bad enough I was on a Dilaudid drip with IV push Dilaudid every 2 hours. If ever I'm a drug addict I want it to be Dilaudid. Wonderful stuff, it is.

Vitamin D baby!   Yes I recall watching and counting down the clock for my 3 hour dose for 6 or 7 days straight. Really fucked up but that stuff is amazing.

And there’s always that one asshole nurse that is late for it or purposefully challenges you for something weaker when you’re not ready to ween off.

Mostly Brazilian jiu jitsu (started in 2006) related, but not entirely.

Two bulging discs
My right shoulder is in bad shape. I need to do an MRI, but I suspect something is torn. Loss of range of motion, strength and persistent sharp pain.

In 2017-2018 I broke my toe and thumb (avulsion fracture), bath while training. Toe healed perfectly. Thumb is maybe 90%. Occasional pain, but mostly good.

In 2006 I had surgery to correct compartment syndrome in my lower legs. Not the bad compartment syndrome that could lead to amputation, the chronic kind. Anyways, surgery delivered as promised, but a nerve in each leg was severed. So if anything touches about the midway point of my shin (like my wife or one of my dogs while sleeping), I get an electrical shock type feeling throughout my leg and foot.

Also, I am a nostalgia junkie. That is pretty damn painful.

compound TIB/FIB fracture from Sophmore year Varsity Football. Caught a pass, planted to turn, cleat stuck in the soft ground defender hit just below the knee and my leg just exploded. 

Absolutely awful pain, and I remember the cop on the field said "son if you were a horse we would have to shoot you" I am sure that made me feel pretty good in the moment. 

Took about 14 hours in surgery to put it back together with rods and screws. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/13/2020 at 12:20 PM, Juicy said:

compound TIB/FIB fracture from Sophmore year Varsity Football. Caught a pass, planted to turn, cleat stuck in the soft ground defender hit just below the knee and my leg just exploded. 

Absolutely awful pain, and I remember the cop on the field said "son if you were a horse we would have to shoot you" I am sure that made me feel pretty good in the moment. 

Took about 14 hours in surgery to put it back together with rods and screws. 

17 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Username never fit better.

Well I chose it because I've had a few staph infections on it and barely missing my hole slipping off an brick ledge and kissing a t-post. Just about every nurse on the floor came in to "ask me about my medical history" while waiting to get it stitched up.

Edited by butthurt
  • Hook 'Em 1

Funny, because when I was at a party at UT 55 years ago I was a bit too inebriated while carrying my gf across a patio and dropped her on her butt. A week later she complained that a cyst had formed at her tailbone, so she had it lanced at the Student Health Center. It left a cute little dimple scar which I’m sure still reminds her of that incident to this day. 

Karma got me forty years ago when I had a staph infected boil on one of my ass cheeks lanced. Hurt like fire, and the doc said he got half a shot glass of pus out of it.

1 hour ago, butthurt said:

I had to get an infection (located between my butt-cheecks near the base of my tailbone) lanced this morning. Although not my most painful injury, broke both wrists, this sucks almost as much as ou.

Pilonidal cyst?

12 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Funny, because when I was at a party at UT 55 years ago I was a bit too inebriated while carrying my gf across a patio and dropped her on her butt. A week later she complained that a cyst had formed at her tailbone, so she had it lanced at the Student Health Center. It left a cute little dimple scar which I’m sure still reminds her of that incident to this day.

uh... you sure she's still kicking?

6 hours ago, butthurt said:

Well I chose it because I've had a few staph infections on it and barely missing my hole slipping off an brick ledge and kissing a t-post. Just about every nurse on the floor came in to "ask me about my medical history" while waiting to get it stitched up.

Sounds like you need a few hygiene, anti-dirty dick in the ass classes..

Been stabbed (accidentally), shot (shotgun accident, was only a little bit of shot), have had roken ribs (the sneezing pain ain't no joke), broken bones in all my limbs (including compound fracture in my leg on a skiing accident), cracked skull as an infant, etc., but my top 3 painful are:

3.  Herniated disc (5 surgeries): As others on here can attest, it awful in a burning knife cutting it's way down the back of your leg kind of way

2.  Acute diverticulitis (the killing kind): Feels like someone has stabbed you multiple times in your lower gut and there's no remedy other than waiting for the antibiotics to work (finally had my intestines re-sectioned)

1.  Testicular Torsion: When your nut spins inside the sac and cuts off the blood flow to the testi - fast ramp pain (less than 5 minutes) that left me curled up on the floor unable to unlock from a fetal position while throwing up, shitting and pissing myself all while my young kids (2 and 3) were sitting there screaming and crying because they didn't know what was happening to daddy

PT#6 is a wrap today for my cuff.

Back to sleeping over 7 hours! The 3 hour sleep in June was just bad.

Range of motion is around 20 percent. Left shoulder and i am left handed, so now I can use my left to cut a steak, button pants, etc. May take another few weeks to wash my dick fast though.

Broke my shoulder into 6 pieces and that hurt like a mother for quite a while. Still does. Fractured ribs are super painful and a general pain in the ass, as was stated above. A list of other shit, but, and even though it's not an injury, I never knew that pain existed as bad as what I felt from shingles. Ho lee fuk

Wrestling around with two kids during recess in 1st grade, one fell on top of me while my right arm was pinned underneath my back. Snapped my arm halfway in between the wrist and elbow. Doc said it was one of the worst breaks he had ever seen. I don't remember much except that the pain was so intense my body went into shock and I couldn't move for a few hours.

On 7/30/2020 at 7:40 AM, Grippe said:

Been stabbed (accidentally), shot (shotgun accident, was only a little bit of shot), have had roken ribs (the sneezing pain ain't no joke), broken bones in all my limbs (including compound fracture in my leg on a skiing accident), cracked skull as an infant, etc., but my top 3 painful are:

3.  Herniated disc (5 surgeries): As others on here can attest, it awful in a burning knife cutting it's way down the back of your leg kind of way

2.  Acute diverticulitis (the killing kind): Feels like someone has stabbed you multiple times in your lower gut and there's no remedy other than waiting for the antibiotics to work (finally had my intestines re-sectioned)

1.  Testicular Torsion: When your nut spins inside the sac and cuts off the blood flow to the testi - fast ramp pain (less than 5 minutes) that left me curled up on the floor unable to unlock from a fetal position while throwing up, shitting and pissing myself all while my young kids (2 and 3) were sitting there screaming and crying because they didn't know what was happening to daddy

Yeah, I had the testicular torsion in college. Was visiting my SMU girlfriend in Dallas at the time. That is horrific pain. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 months later...

My surgery was on June 9th for rotator cuff and 5 torn tendons and muscles.

Today I went to Carrell clinic in dallas for the last time, per Dr moen. He said I graduated.

He also told me my injury was worse than he initially told me because he said I was over the top worried.

So, after (so far) 43 PT visits and constant work at the house and office i threw a football to my 12 year old a few weeks ago. That was my goal. I love playing golf, but F that, I wanted to play catch with him.

He said it will be another year and a half to be back to normal. Yikes.

• Hook 'Em 2

Two come to mind...

1) Flew to Minneapolis on a business trip.  As we landed, the pressure change made something behind my right eye pop.  The entire week in Minneapolis I had a bloodshot eye.  No big deal.  When landing on the way back, the pressure change popped something in my sinuses.  I actually thought I'd had an aneurysm.  I was actually seeing stars at one point.  I swear the approach to the airport took 24 hours.  I couldn't be around light for 3 days.  After about three weeks, I hawked up a golf-ball sized something that had been hanging out in my sinuses for awhile.

2) Had reconstructive knee surgery after blowing out my knee twice on West Campus practicing for intramurals brother.  I wake up and immediately start vomiting.  Doctors figured it was the anesthesia.  After 24 hours of vomiting, they realized it was the morphine pump.  Took it away.  After another day of not feeling well, I decide to finally get up and go take a piss.  Nothing. No big deal.  I'm tired. I'll try again later.  Several hours later I wake up really needing to piss.  Nothing.  Turns out I had something called bladder spasms.  Basically, it feels like you really, REALLY need to piss, but you're empty.  Cure is to drink a shit-ton of water and cranberry juice.  So Day 3 post-surgery and I haven't emptied my bladder other than when I had a catheter.  I'm begging for relief. Nurse tries another catheter.  Nothing.  Finally, I piss like 3 drops and, quite literally, am thanking all that is good and mighty.  As soon as the spigot turned on, I ended up having the opposite issue due to drinking pints and pints of water and cranberry juice.   I had to piss seemingly every 10 mins.  Unhook the ice machine.  Unhook the motion machine.  Drag the IV into the bathroom.  Eventually, I got tired enough so that I'd just walk into the bathroom and piss in the shower.  Horrible 4-5 days considering the surgery was supposed to be outpatient.

Edited by Knoxtnhorn

Not exactly an injury, but I inadvertently squirted 99.9% isopropyl alcohol in my eye tonight.  I have a container that you put a cotton ball on top and push down and it squirts alcohol upwards.  I was fixing chips in granite countertop and cleaning the chips with alcohol and a toothbrush.  My second push down on the pump missed the toothbrush and hit me in the right eye.  I've never felt pain as instantly as I did with that.  Broken bones and knife cuts and such have a bit of a delay, at least with me.  This did not.

In continuance with the thread, but still not injury, I had surgery when I was fifteen to correct scoliosis.  I had two ~18 inch rods attached to either side of my spine.  Everything went well initially.  I had a morphine drip, and was underusing it.  If I started to feel pain, I'd push the button and I'd get relief instantly.  Towards the end of my hospital stay, they slowed the transfer rate or whatever it's called from my IV, so my morphine button essentially didn't work anymore.  I wouldn't push my morphine button until I started feeling pain, but because the drip or whatever was so slow, it would take 15 or 20 minutes. The pain from that two foot gash in my back was unbelievable.

I was stealing second base and slid in real stylish like with my left arm extended.  Second baseman jumped up to catch the high throw from the catcher, and I caught the palm of my left hand on one of the metal spike cleats.  Seven or eight stitches. 

/safe