NextGen Consoles: PS-5 and XBox X

Iceman

I'm a Halo fan from back in the day, so X Box Series X will be what I get day one. Most of my friends that play online also either have PC or XBox so we will be able to play together. Those are my main reasons for going with X Box. I might eventually get a PS5. It really comes down to the games you want to play that might be exclusive to one or the other and which system your friends use if you are wanting to play online. 

Both are gonna be beasts though, so you can't really go wrong.

• Like 1

I get both, but I prefer PC.  Given a game that comes out on both Xbox and PS, I will get it on XBox. I pretty much only get games on PS that are exclusives. The main reason is because I prefer the XBox controller better, if I do marathon sessions with the PS controller it'll eventually start to cramp my hands. Also, the Xbox's achievement system is a bit better and usually has better non-game apps and tv features.

• Like 2

On 7/1/2020 at 10:17 PM, MillerEP said:

The main reason is because I prefer the XBox controller better, if I do marathon sessions with the PS controller it'll eventually start to cramp my hands.

This has been my issue with PS dating back to the PS1: the controller is just uncomfortable and my hand cramps after a while. Loved the original xBox controller (the larger one), I still prefer the 360 and XB1 controller. Just feels more natural in my hands. 

On 6/30/2020 at 11:49 PM, Continental Op said:

I am PC Master Race now so if I get a console this generation it will be a PS5 for the exclusives.

spacer.png

I've got a PS1, PS2, and our PS3 is currently our Blu-ray player, and I kind of tuned out of the console wars, but not going to lie, the new Gran Turismo made me want to get a PS5.  And a 4K TV.

I've got an older PC, and most of the games I prefer that are on Xbox are also on PC, so PS5 for the exclusives.  Unfortunately, it's pushed down the list, behind a Switch for the kids, but the PS5 got my attention in a huge way.

Edited by atomheartbevo

• 2 months later...

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/09/09/xbox-series-x-and-xbox-series-s-launching-november-10/

• Xbox Series S - $299
  • Xbox Series X - $499
  • Launching November 10, preorders start September 22
  • EA Play (formerly EA Access) is going to be included in Xbox Game Pass Ultimate for Console and PC
  • Series S is aiming to provide the same frame rates as the Series X, just at 1440p instead of 4k like the Series X.

Whether you’re upgrading to the newest consoles or joining the Xbox family for the first time, Xbox All Access is the easiest way to get the best of Xbox. Xbox All Access provides an Xbox Series X, or Series S, along with 24 months of the full Xbox Game Pass Ultimate experience. In total, that means you get access to:

• The next-generation Xbox console of your choice
  • Over 100 high-quality games to play on console, including next-gen Optimized games
  • Over 100 high-quality games to play on PC
  • An EA Play membership to play more than 60 of EA’s biggest and best console and PC games
  • And over 100 games to play from the cloud

That’s all with no upfront costs and a low monthly price. Xbox Series S will be available starting from $24.99 a month for 24 months and Xbox Series X will be available starting from $34.99 a month for 24 months.

Edited by hornfan785

23 hours ago, elfenix said:

xbox is branding failure at its peak

You can call Playstation bland with their numbering scheme, but at least they're consistent and logical.  There's no rhyme or reason to Microsoft's strategy:

XBox

XBox 360 (This really should have been their 3rd release)

XBox One (And XBox One S/X)....wtf

XBox Series S/X....again, wtf.

How does the Japanese based Sony company have a more sensible naming strategy than the American based company?

I know earlier I said I was leaning towards a PS5 and then playing any Xbox exclusive on my PC but now I think I've convinced myself to go Series X because of Game pass.

A year of Game Pass ultimate is about like buying 4 full price AAA games. That's about how many I would get in a slow year, and then several cheaper indie games or older games on sale.

So I figure Game Pass will allow me to try way more games, including titles I would never just buy on a whim, for about the same money.

So if the PS5 digital edition sells well does that validate the Xbox One digital plan that they tried to promote last cycle?

Everyone hated on MS for trying to promote an always online digital model even having Sony physically trade a disc onstage.

Heh, the weird ass console fan boi arguments have changed this cycle. I’m seeing a lot more “I’m buying a Ps5 digital and Series S with the discount prices!”

Tried at Best Buy, they didn't even go live until an hour after they said they would, and then I had it in my cart and each time I tried to checkout it would say "we encountered an error. Try again in a few moments." Kept trying for 30+ minutes and then got the notice that they were sold out. So, no go for me this time.

I'll just wait and try to pick one up at some point before Halo launches.

1 hour ago, Speedtrucker said:

Yeah both companies have to have a big Xmas, I’d imagine their stocks will be replenishing at the beginning of December for the present rush.

Still don’t understand why these things don’t have presales for rounds 2,3,etc it would help combat the poachers/eBay exploiters and bots

Already saw some selling on eBay auction for around $1500

On 9/16/2020 at 4:54 PM, Speedtrucker said:

So if the PS5 digital edition sells well does that validate the Xbox One digital plan that they tried to promote last cycle?

Everyone hated on MS for trying to promote an always online digital model even having Sony physically trade a disc onstage.

Heh, the weird ass console fan boi arguments have changed this cycle. I’m seeing a lot more “I’m buying a Ps5 digital and Series S with the discount prices!”

On 9/16/2020 at 6:43 PM, Hawndoh said:

Way more people have moved totally digitally now. Many don't get blu-ray movies or anything now that streaming is so widespread.

i'm holding out for an analog edition using laser discs the size of a dining room table

• 3 weeks later...

I don't follow the console wars much anymore, but I heard the XBOX Game Pass is getting the EA Pass.  That's pretty cool.

I signed up for the Ultimate Pass like 2 years ago for cheap, I should have gone the max 4 years.

I don't game that much, so I like having the option of all those titles to check out, and maybe buy a blockbuster here and there.  I wonder what the pricing will be? How much is it now?

I like the cloud gaming also.

Hopefully more games will go cross-platform so people don't have to choose a system based on a title and what their friends play on.

I'm thinking about just getting a better PC video card, and VR headset, the new oculus is cheap, I'm surprised this generation Consoles didn't push into that area more (so far).

I had been waiting for Star Citizen since I heard about it, The new Star Wars Squadron or whatever looks cool, throw back to the only Tie figher days in the early 90's

Edited by BNB

• 2 weeks later...

To those who have owned both brands (ps/Xbox): which one should I get?  I had a PS4 that just crapped out on me and was planning on getting the PS5 but am intrigued by the Xbox. I only really play call of duty and fifa as those are the only 2 games I’ve bought in the last few years.  I’m also going digital if that makes a difference as I probably haven’t bought any disc games since you could just download them.

If going digital and you like FIFA, then XBox might be the console you want because EA Play will be a part of the XBox Live/GamePass subscription. So you'll get access to all of EA's library of games to include all the FIFAs/Maddens/etc and Battlefield's.

Edited by MillerEP
  • Hook 'Em 1

I have been Xbox since OG. Stayed with it mostly because it has never sucked and I definitely got my money worth with all consoles. I did have the OG PS but didn’t get another one until PS4. Only got one of those so I could game with a few friends who only had ps4. Now I just have one in each room and they’ve become media players mostly. I have less and less time for games. I believe the digital Xbox will get my first dollars. Might get PS5 later next year. Not sure in that though. My friends really don’t game much either anymore but it is nice to have a little flexibility.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, CowboyFred said:

To those who have owned both brands (ps/Xbox): which one should I get?  I had a PS4 that just crapped out on me and was planning on getting the PS5 but am intrigued by the Xbox. I only really play call of duty and fifa as those are the only 2 games I’ve bought in the last few years.  I’m also going digital if that makes a difference as I probably haven’t bought any disc games since you could just download them.

I'm getting a PS5 just to be upfront, but I'm very curious about the hard drive and how many first born children it will cost to upgrade/replace.  Someone said earlier in the thread they liked the non game apps on xbox more, I'd agree for 360 vs ps3, but I've enjoyed the ps4 over the xbone immensely.  It is very weird though, the xbox has a better crunchyroll app, the ps4's is god awful, hulu always gives me shit on the xbox, but haven't had any issues in a couple years I think on the ps4.  I would say I appreciated the playstation exclusives more than xbox exclusives if that helps.

• Hook 'Em 1

Thanks for the response.  That is my main concern regarding non-game apps because I would use the gaming console as my streaming device in my bedroom.  I'm planning on getting a 4K tv when I buy the console to fully take advantage of the picture so I'm sure it would come with roku or smart tv capabilities anyways so the point may be moot in the end.  I might just flip a coin in the end.

9 hours ago, Bigpoppapump said:

I'm getting a PS5 just to be upfront, but I'm very curious about the hard drive and how many first born children it will cost to upgrade/replace.  Someone said earlier in the thread they liked the non game apps on xbox more, I'd agree for 360 vs ps3, but I've enjoyed the ps4 over the xbone immensely.  It is very weird though, the xbox has a better crunchyroll app, the ps4's is god awful, hulu always gives me shit on the xbox, but haven't had any issues in a couple years I think on the ps4.  I would say I appreciated the playstation exclusives more than xbox exclusives if that helps.

I thought I read somewhere that the SSD for the PS5 was going to be embedded on the motherboard. 

5 minutes ago, freyguy said:

I thought I read somewhere that the SSD for the PS5 was going to be embedded on the motherboard. 

Ahh, you're correct, looks like the expandable is an M.2 drive slot, and the storage that comes with the ps5 is attached to the MB.  That means I feel 100% fine with getting a PS5.

I'll get the xboxxx on black friday in 2 years. Wouldn't hesitate on a switch upgrade.

Edited by Bigpoppapump
  • Hook 'Em 1

Same here. I should have played it like when I was 18 and stayed up waiting to smash the buy button a million times when the clock strikes.

The Xbox went live at 10am it was a mad rush, of our group of 6, 3 of us got it within 30min. 2 got it later in the hour ish and 1 didn’t get it and is continually keeping an eye.

I kept trying to preorder the PS5 but kept getting locked in the checkout window of bestbuy and target.  Thought I had broken through on Amazon but nope.  

edit to add: I may just get it in Mexico on Amazon.  Have it shipped to Nuevo Laredo and I’ll have someone bring it up to San Antonio for me.

Edited by CowboyFred