NextGen Consoles: PS-5 and XBox X

Iceman

5 hours ago, utee94 said:

Still looking for a PS5 for my son, but not daily (or hourly) anymore so I'm sure it's a hopeless battle against the bots.

Anyone heard when retail stores might actually get them?  Are we talking weeks, months, years?

I don't have any information regarding PS5 availability but it's important to point out that the PS4 was very limited availability until summer 2014.

Obviously things are different this time around with all the bot shenanigans vs showing up in store at delivery times but my guess is this summer you'll be able to get a PS5 without much fanfare.

I would think Sony would want to flood the market with as many as possible. Grab that gaming market share from Microsoft.

That’s the thing, both aren’t meeting the demand and I’m sure both would love to flood the market right now.

Microsoft’s been on AMDs ass about production levels because apparently MS says their inability to supply the market is because of lack of AMD parts. Supposedly both are ramping up production as fast as possible. MS already announced back in late November that they would back seat the S production to focus on X models for now.

Saw MK's post.  Went to BB.com.  I'm already logged in with CC details in the system.  I get the yellow 'add to cart' button.  Click it.  Proceed to shopping cart page.  Click checkout button.  Click 'Yes, I'm 17+' button.  Get notice that PS5 not available at my closest store.  Click link to check for pickup availability at a nearby store.  Get a few options a good 40 minutes drive away.  I click them and begin a circus act where each store says not available, but store finder keeps saying they have availabilty.  Tried 4 different stores before I realized their system is FUBAR.

16 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

Fucking was gonna hook up my series x but my stupid fucking tv isn’t 4K and from what my gamer buddy says it’s pointless cause I won’t see a difference in much. Now I need a tv

I highly recommend the Samsung 7 Series, pretty affordable.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-65-class-7-series-led-4k-uhd-smart-tizen-tv/6401722.p?skuId=6401722

On 1/24/2021 at 6:00 PM, Bogeywon said:

Fucking was gonna hook up my series x but my stupid fucking tv isn’t 4K and from what my gamer buddy says it’s pointless cause I won’t see a difference in much. Now I need a tv

We upgraded to a 65” LG BX OLED When we got the PS5. It’s amazing. You gotta upgrade the tv bro

1 hour ago, SubliminalHorn said:

We upgraded to a 65” LG BX OLED When we got the PS5. It’s amazing. You gotta upgrade the tv bro

This is the tv my gamer buddy has. Says he loves it. I need at least a 70 so since they don’t make one in that size should I wait to get it when it does?

This is the tv my gamer buddy has. Says he loves it. I need at least a 70 so since they don’t make one in that size should I wait to get it when it does?

If you want 4K120 capability you need the current BX/CX, or the 2021 C1/G1/Z1 when those come out later this year.

Or you could wait for the Sony A8J and A9J series for 2021, too (or the X900J/X950J which aren’t OLED but very, very good full-array local dimming LED panels).

Note that Sony and LG use the same panels for their OLEDs and there is no 70” or 75” size. It goes 48”, 55”, 65”, 77”, and sometimes 83” or 88”.

However, I don’t think 4K120 is going to be super viable for these consoles for most games. There will be some stuff that can “do” it, but I think a locked 60 will be plenty for pretty much everything.

I bought a Sony X900H this year and it’s been an adventure with 2.1. Sony seems to have a problem with actually implementing the promised features. It also currently cannot pass Dolby Vision AND 4K120 signal at the same time. It is, however, still a great TV and has awesome PQ for the price.

Also, if you use a receiver, the new models have a Panasonic chipset that have issues handling the Series X 4K120 signal WITH HDR. Without is fine, but the whole 2.1 thing has been a bit of a boondoggle so far because these companies released products before the specs were standardized and before there were actual devices to test with.

However, that said, I’d probably rank them something like this for gaming.

LG CX

LG BX (only comes in 55” and 65” sizes)
Sony A8H (no 4K120)
Sony X950H (no 4K120)
Sony X900H (has 4K120 and should have VRR and ALLM later)

Samsung Q80T and Q90T are iffy because they are great TVs with excellent PQ, but in game mode the PQ suffers a ton because they remove a ton of picture processing to get really low input lag.

Sony X900H has (or will have) great gaming features that some of the others don’t, and would be just behind the BX if you value those features, but otherwise it’s PQ in non-game mode is behind the OLEDS, X950H, and Samsung Q80T/Q90T. It’s still really good though, especially in low light areas.

• 2 weeks later...

Hadn’t played Forza 7 in a couple years but installed it this week in anticipation of being stuck inside. Haven’t had internet since Thursday morning, so it’s my best offline game option. A great game and the load times are nothing on the Series X...the next track in career mode is loaded up before you’re done reading the info screen.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Don't think it has been mentioned here, but I installed the Octoshop Chrome extension yesterday and was able to get a PS5 bundle at Gamestop today.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/octoshop-in-stock-alerts/ahajkaoongodcmoohkcceoklokapadfh?hl=en-US

You tell it what product you want and what stores to monitor and it dings to let you know when inventory is available. 

I'm not normally a fan of these products since they could scrape all your browsing data but it was worth it and I deleted it after i was done. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, smokebomb said:

Don't think it has been mentioned here, but I installed the Octoshop Chrome extension yesterday and was able to get a PS5 bundle at Gamestop today.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/octoshop-in-stock-alerts/ahajkaoongodcmoohkcceoklokapadfh?hl=en-US

You tell it what product you want and what stores to monitor and it dings to let you know when inventory is available. 

I'm not normally a fan of these products since they could scrape all your browsing data but it was worth it and I deleted it after i was done. 

I just set this up, thanks for the tip lol.  Will report back.

On 2/23/2021 at 9:23 PM, smokebomb said:

This just worked!  BB, estimated store pickup on Thursday.

On 2/24/2021 at 10:36 AM, BurntOrange&White said:

why would you play video games on anything larger than 27"

Makes no sense.

On 2/24/2021 at 12:40 PM, Hawndoh said:

Why would play games in an office chair at a desk instead of a lazy boy

Makes no sense.

Competitive online multiplayer = Monitor

Story based single player = TV

I just snagged a PS5 yesterday through Target.  We are in a rental now while new home build wraps up hopefully in late April.  In the new home office I will have it setup where I can swap HDMI between monitor (using office chair) and a 55” LG CX OLED (using recliner).

On 2/24/2021 at 10:36 AM, BurntOrange&White said:

why would you play video games on anything larger than 27"

Makes no sense.

I have my PS5 hooked up to a Sony 4K HDR projector that is projecting onto a 120” SI Black Diamond screen.

It’s “life size” when I’m playing COD or Battlefield 1 and absolutely as immersive as any games I’ve played. High believer in bigger is better in gaming screens. I’m sure at some point it could be “too big” to play well depending on your distance from screen...but I set my room up for sports and movies and after dropping the console in here...game changer.

Depends on what you prefer. If you're just looking at specs, I think the Series X has slightly better specs, but it's not really going to affect your gameplay much at all. And some cross-platform games actually run better on the PS5 at the moment (possibly because developers didn't get Series X dev kits until much later than PS5 dev kits, or possibly because of PS5's solid state drive technology, who knows?).

Do you want a system that has games on it that no other platform does? Then the PS5.

Do you want a system that allows you to play loads of previous-gen games (from original Xbox, Xbox 360, and Xbox One)? Then either the Series S or X.

Do you already have a PC that you game on and you don't plan on moving between the PC and a console to play the same games? Then get the PS5.

Do you want to be able to play all Microsoft Studios games Day-1, along with 100's of other games for a very affordable subscription price? Then get either the Series S or X?

And finally, which I think is the most important question when it comes to choosing a console these days, do you have friends that you would like to play with online? Which system do they have? Go with that one.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, hornfan785 said:

Depends on what you prefer. If you're just looking at specs, I think the Series X has slightly better specs, but it's not really going to affect your gameplay much at all. And some cross-platform games actually run better on the PS5 at the moment (possibly because developers didn't get Series X dev kits until much later than PS5 dev kits, or possibly because of PS5's solid state drive technology, who knows?).

Do you want a system that has games on it that no other platform does? Then the PS5.

Do you want a system that allows you to play loads of previous-gen games (from original Xbox, Xbox 360, and Xbox One)? Then either the Series S or X.

Do you already have a PC that you game on and you don't plan on moving between the PC and a console to play the same games? Then get the PS5.

Do you want to be able to play all Microsoft Studios games Day-1, along with 100's of other games for a very affordable subscription price? Then get either the Series S or X?

And finally, which I think is the most important question when it comes to choosing a console these days, do you have friends that you would like to play with online? Which system do they have? Go with that one.

What do most of y’all have here? My friends don’t game much anymore and I want it for NCAA football when that comes out. 

I have the Xbox Series X. We used to have a pretty active Xbox group on here in the days of Destiny 1, but it faded after we all started getting tired of Destiny.

If you got Xbox you could either a Series X or Series S. If you don't have a high end 4K tv and you don't think you'll play a wide variety of games, I might suggest the cheaper Series S (if you can find it anywhere).

Haven’t been paying any attention to consoles, but turning my attention to it now as we’ve kind of locked in on ps5 for my boys’ birthday on the 20th. Was surprised to see sold out everywhere I looked. Can someone catch me up on the easiest/best way to get my hands on a digital edition ps5?  Really don’t want a bundle, will let the kids add controllers and games with their birthday money and $400 is enough. 

On 2/23/2021 at 9:23 PM, smokebomb said:

49 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Haven’t been paying any attention to consoles, but turning my attention to it now as we’ve kind of locked in on ps5 for my boys’ birthday on the 20th. Was surprised to see sold out everywhere I looked. Can someone catch me up on the easiest/best way to get my hands on a digital edition ps5?  Really don’t want a bundle, will let the kids add controllers and games with their birthday money and $400 is enough. 

If you search for “PS5 drops” on Google they will lead you to some good Twitter users to follow. I also followed an Austin video game group on Facebook and they posted an alert which is how I got mine...but the Twitter users have been good to a lot of people looking.

Here is one I followed:

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Are they in stores, or can I just bother with online ordering?

I don't believe they're in stores at all and may not be for a while. They drop online in bunches and sell out quickly. They may be in store pickup, but not on store shelves.

I got mine from Best Buy, purchased online but picked up at the store.

I used an app that monitored stock and pushed a notification when some were released. It's a big pain in the butt.

Hunted a PS5 from mid December to mid February....drops were insane, sold out in minutes if not less many times.  PSDirect is a lotto system where you gotta know when it is coming go into a waiting room and get assigned a random place in line.  If you get assigned that place in line and it tells you your wait is any longer than 20 minutes you can fucking forget it.

On the non PSDirect retail drop front don't even bother with Wal-Mart or Gamestop.  They ship their consoles, which sounds great until you remember the lack of a person needed for ONE pick-up makes it all the easier for Bots to hammer their sites at drops and scoop everything up.  Best Buy and Target will only sell to you based on stock in your area (think 200, 250 mile radius) because they require you to pick it up so the drops can carry a little longer but still limited supply/high demand in any major urban setting.

How did I get the one for my son?  Best Buy drop on Friday of the week of Snovid21.  I'm convinced so many locals were distracted with other issues and my son and I had it going on separate devices and he rolls up as I am breaking ice on the pool and says "got it dad, just need the CV number" and there ya go.  Picked it up the next Monday.  

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 1