NextGen Consoles: PS-5 and XBox X

Iceman

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2021 at 9:53 AM, Storm the Field said:

God effing damnit. Woke up at 5:50 this morning and hopped on the computer. Watched Jake's annoying-ass (though helpful) livestream until the re-stock dropped right at 6:30. Had one in my cart multiple times but website failed to let me checkout at least 100 times. Twice I got to the final step of confirming order by punching in CC security number and it still booted my order. I give up.

Jake Randall promising another Target drop either tomorrow or Friday between 6-9. Guess I'll try again tomorrow morning. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Jake Randall promising another Target drop either tomorrow or Friday between 6-9. Guess I'll try again tomorrow morning. 

Even worse frustration this time. Got my order to go through and then received an error message that payment could not be processed. Fucking credit card declined the transaction as "suspicious activity" which I didn't find out until my sleeping wife woke up to a series of texts from Chase Bank. By the time we figured it out and cleared the hold, it was too late and all stock was gone. 

• Rage+1 2

40 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Even worse frustration this time. Got my order to go through and then received an error message that payment could not be processed. Fucking credit card declined the transaction as "suspicious activity" which I didn't find out until my sleeping wife woke up to a series of texts from Chase Bank. By the time we figured it out and cleared the hold, it was too late and all stock was gone. 

Sorry man. Yeah I would continue to follow twitter notifications from Cameron Ritz(he's the fastest I think), Matt Swider, and Lord Restocks. Target is really annoying highly botted. Not to say the other sites aren't either. Restocks might be done for the week but I would possibly watch out for Walmart(they're overdue for a drop) and possibly Best Buy. Walmart is probably the best bet as bots are struggling there.

On 1/6/2022 at 10:06 AM, Storm the Field said:

Just an FYI, Walmart will have a drop this Thursday at 2 pm CT. Must have a Walmart + paid membership though. Only costs $13.

• 2 weeks later...

Can y'all tell that big of a difference from the Xbox One to the Series s/x?? or hell, even between the series s and x?? 

Debating if i want a new one or not and which one to get if i do. Pretty much will only get one so i can play the new GTAO E&E version that's supposed to drop sometime this year. 

Between my one X and Series X?

Yes… sometimes.
It depends on the game, sometimes there is a pretty big difference and sometimes it looks the same but is much faster to load.

I have no experience with the series S but my understanding was that it was the same minus a disc drive so everything has to be a digital download… which is what I do now anyways with the S/X.

On 1/24/2022 at 1:50 PM, BERT said:

Can y'all tell that big of a difference from the Xbox One to the Series s/x?? or hell, even between the series s and x??

Definitely can tell a big difference from my One X and my Series X. Graphics and overall performance. A lot is going to depend on your TV, too. 

13 minutes ago, FunkSoulBrother said:

what kind do you have? I just bough the Samsung Q60A model

As long as it is able to take advantage of all the Series X can push out, you should be good. I didn't notice a huge difference until I replaced my 5 year old 4k TV, as it didn't handle variable refresh rate or DolbyVision. If you go into the settings on your dashboard and go to your display options and have a check mark next to all the 4k options, you should be good. 

I'm shocked at the number of folks I know who bought a Series X and are rocking it on their old non-4k tvs. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Deej said:

Definitely can tell a big difference from my One X and my Series X. Graphics and overall performance. A lot is going to depend on your TV, too. 

I have a plasma in the living room and Toshiba 4K in the bedroom. 4K might be 2 years old

19 minutes ago, BERT said:

So would y’all say it’s worth waiting on a Series X or just go ahead and get the S??

It depends on how long you’re willing to wait. Also, you can buy an XSX at Target but you’ll have to go in each day opening hours to see if they have any or call electronics dept each morning and ask. I like mine a lot and was glad to have gotten mine on launch. Graphics are great for sure. Otherwise the S is pretty good too especially for its price.

55 minutes ago, Speedtrucker said:

Your saves and stuff all get synced over the cloud but you’d have to buy a digital copy of the game or else you can’t play the game if it’s disc-based ownership

So you’re gonna need an X if that’s a concern.

Thanks, that's what i figured. 

The drive on the S is half the size of the one on the X. I filled up my drive on the X pretty fucking quickly and ended up paying $200 for the expansion storage. The new games won't run off normal external drives while taking advantage of what the new hardware is capable of. 

The drive on the S is half the size of the one on the X. I filled up my drive on the X pretty fucking quickly and ended up paying $200 for the expansion storage. The new games won't run off normal external drives while taking advantage of what the new hardware is capable of. 

Yeah that is the most annoying part. I have a 5tb external but the X optimized games have to get swapped over when I’m playing to enjoy them properly…

Eventually I’ll get that Xbox proprietary expansion storage

3 hours ago, Deej said:

My Xbox One S is 1tb and i don't even have half of it filled up. Hell i only really play 2 games on it. After saying that, i think the Series S will be just fine for now

Thanks guys lol 

2 minutes ago, BERT said:

My Xbox One S is 1tb and i don't even have half of it filled up. Hell i only really play 2 games on it. After saying that, i think the Series S will be just fine for now

Thanks guys lol 

Wait until you see just how much space the new games take up. It's ridiculous. 

• Like 1

On 2/7/2022 at 4:24 PM, BERT said:

Thanks guys lol 

So I upgraded from an Xbox One S as well to a Series X.   The TV I have is 2017 vintage which is fine for me.   Both the One S and the Series X look good on it.   The most noticeable difference are the load times.  It does seem like my kid doesn't lagout Minecraft as much, but I mostly appreciate the speed differential.   The One S was pretty good machine (mine did not have an optical drive, but was also 1TB), I am glad I waited for the Series X, as it is a larger upgrade over the One S.  If I had an Xbox One, I would probably take the Series S and be happy with that it would have been much less of a hassle to obtain. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Amazon announced a PS5 digital edition restock at 10 central time tomorrow morning. Expected to also do a disc edition restock, either tomorrow or Thursday, though not confirmed yet. Prime members get priority.

Jake Randall expecting another Target restock either Thursday or Friday. 

That Amazon will be botted like crazy! 

I think Target has done a good job of lately because they now softblock any constant refreshes which stops bots.

On 3/29/2022 at 2:03 PM, Storm the Field said:

Amazon announced a PS5 digital edition restock at 10 central time tomorrow morning. Expected to also do a disc edition restock, either tomorrow or Thursday, though not confirmed yet. Prime members get priority.

Jake Randall expecting another Target restock either Thursday or Friday. 

PS5 digital on Amazon was the only one of these that actually happened. No disc editions ever popped up on Amazon and Target didn't end up restocking this week.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Welp, PS5 are still impossible to find. Amazon had a few available earlier this morning, but they were gone in the blink of an eye. 

Is it always going to be this way from now on? Are the days of walking into a big box store or hopping on a website and just grabbing a console at will forever a thing of the past?

Sony claims they're increasing production and expect to sell 18M this fiscal year vs. just 11.5M last year. We'll see.

Yeah man its crazy.  I am primarily a PC guy but I think I have bought every Sony and Xbox generation until this one.  I would have pulled the trigger on a PS5 probably a half dozen times since it came out in 2020 but they are never in stock on Amazon and I don't want one bad enough to camp for them the way I did for a graphics card which still took me forever to find in stock at a retailer.  I've done the PSN shit where you allegedly get put on a list to buy direct, nothing.

We’re still playing ps3 that I bought in 2008 or so. Just checked to see what the cost would be to bump up to the ps4 pro since we can’t buy ps3 games on the psn anymore. I wash kind of surprised that the going rate seems to be $500 at Amazon/Walmart/target. Does that seem expensive for the previous gen console?  

20 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

We’re still playing ps3 that I bought in 2008 or so. Just checked to see what the cost would be to bump up to the ps4 pro since we can’t buy ps3 games on the psn anymore. I wash kind of surprised that the going rate seems to be $500 at Amazon/Walmart/target. Does that seem expensive for the previous gen console?  

That’s pretty much how much the current gen costs.

• 3 weeks later...

Got the ps5 via Walmart+ back in December then got the Series X back in May at Best Buy had to order it in DC and have my buddy ship it to me because Best Buy was only offering in store pickup.

It was definitely a major pain in the ass but the supply chain is going to go into absolute free fall this fall so either get one soon or it will get orders of magnitude tougher

Edited by Pimphand
  • Like 1