NextGen Consoles: PS-5 and XBox X

Iceman

On 8/6/2021 at 3:00 PM, Js1 said:

Apparently my mom is sending me a PS5 that I didn't ask for, but since she bought my 15 year old nephew one, she got me one too.

Legitimately haven't had a PS since like 2005.  Only got myself back into gaming a few years ago when I bought a Switch.

Top 5 games I should look at?  Besides some friends who are THRILLED I can play Call of Duty with them.  Most of my Switch playing was Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, Fortnite with friends...

Is there a PS gamertag or whatever thread? I think there was one on the shag. I’m always looking for others to get some games going 

30 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Is there a PS gamertag or whatever thread? I think there was one on the shag. I’m always looking for others to get some games going 

I’m doing COD Black Ops. PSN: BigBevo

Pre-ordered the new Battlefield and also play Modern Warfare.

I need to hone my Madden skills back in.

I’m doing COD Black Ops. PSN: BigBevo
Pre-ordered the new Battlefield and also play Modern Warfare.
I need to hone my Madden skills back in.

I’m saving my football for whenever NCAA comes back out. Thinking about the new battlefield. Misty just playing rebirth on Warzone right now. My son plays a lot of verdansk.

Psn: coachkiller

I'm working on getting my stuff set up since it just arrived today.  My friends back home play Warzone, so I have to download that.  

Otherwise, I'm renting games off GameFly because I am not ready to commit to any yet. 

Do most people on Surly have PS or Xbox? With NCAA returning and wanting to play FIFA and NHL consoles are just better platform for sport games. PS5 seems most interesting.

Cross platform capability seems to be gaining popularity. It sucks for shooter games where you have to deal with the computer guys and mouse and key board.

I’m a PS player.

Had always been a PS guy until about 3yrs ago i bought an Xbox because my friends in Dallas all had them. i THINK i like the PS better but the Xbox isn't bad. Now just have to wait until the stores are restocked.

ChrisBert8899 (xbox) but mainly just play GTA online at the moment. I need to buy a sports game. 

On 8/18/2021 at 7:15 AM, BurntOrange&White said:

Do most people on Surly have PS or Xbox? With NCAA returning and wanting to play FIFA and NHL consoles are just better platform for sport games. PS5 seems most interesting.

XBox here. Only game I missed from switching from PS was The Show. That is on game pass now so all is well. 

Urmomsjock87 

1 hour ago, Fudbelty said:

Have y’all checked out the Forza series? It’s on game pass.

Forza Horizon 4 came with the Xbox but i haven't really given it a chance. Every now and then i'll play it but i get bored cause i don't know what to do or what i'm doing so i just go back to GTA lol 

I also play Super Mega Baseball a lot, that's a fun game. Reminds me of an updated RBI Baseball from back in the day. 

• Like 1

I’ve always loved the Forza series.

horizon is a fun casual style for Forza. So if you like cruising around the map and doing stunts, street rolling races, jumps, and more normal style races then Horizon is a good bit Need for speed meets GT.

The main Forza series is their traditional “real” sim. With car classes and official tracks and configurations. I’ve spent tons of time in the older Forzas….

One of my favorite things they did was make/allow the opponent cars to be others from your friends list. And if they play Forza and have a car in that same class, it will import their livery. Nothing better than whoopin up on a friends Toyota Supra with their silly monster energy paint job rather than “William Santicarlo” generic racer…

My least favorite thing they did was remove the point to point hill climb from Forza 1, they put it back in Forza 4 I think but it wasn’t the same.

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

I'm thinking of maybe trying to get my hands on a PS5 sometime this fall and just tell my wife that's my XMas gift this year. What's best way to go about that?

I installed the Octoshop Chrome extension and had one in 2 or 3 days [after which you should remove it]

On 9/2/2021 at 1:40 PM, Storm the Field said:

I'm thinking of maybe trying to get my hands on a PS5 sometime this fall and just tell my wife that's my XMas gift this year. What's best way to go about that?

What did you end up doing? I'm trying to get out in front of this issue for Christmas too. I ended up buying one today for $799. Is that too much? Dumb? Fair?

11 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

What did you end up doing? I'm trying to get out in front of this issue for Christmas too. I ended up buying one today for $799. Is that too much? Dumb? Fair?

Nothing yet. My PS4 still runs fairly well and I've got a Switch too. I can wait. Definitely not paying elevated scalper prices.

Edited by Storm the Field
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Nothing yet. My PS4 still runs fairly well and I've got a Switch too. I can wait. Definitely not paying elevated scalper prices.

Yea, PS4 runs well and the kids have a switch too, but, for example, NB2k22 just came out and it's pretty lame for PS4 but apparently a whole different look and feel and experience on the PS5.

And I'm thinking through, does it make sense to buy a few now and they will be $1k in December, or are we going to get a lot of good supply? It's a risk.

I lucked out recently. Bout a year a ago a coworker mentioned you can get on the Sony waitlist if you’re a PSN + member. Recently I received my exclusive offer to buy a PS5 of my choosing from Sony between 2-4CT (I’m in MT) before the remaining units were sold in the queue that everyone was waiting in. The graphics are amazing.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

28 minutes ago, I Plead Da Fif said:

I lucked out recently. Bout a year a ago a coworker mentioned you can get on the Sony waitlist if you’re a PSN + member. Recently I received my exclusive offer to buy a PS5 of my choosing from Sony between 2-4CT (I’m in MT) before the remaining units were sold in the queue that everyone was waiting in. The graphics are amazing.

So you were a member for a year before getting your invite?  I’d sign up if it was a couple of months, but I have no other reason to pay for ps plus so it’s just an added cost of acquisition. 

KOTOR is one of the best games ever made.  And it was an Xbox exclusive originally, PC later in the year.  Crazy that was 18 years ago now.  I bought an Xbox to play it and don't regret it.  I would have a PS5 right now if you could impulse buy them...still hard to believe they aren't in stock all the time almost a year after release.  KOTOR will get me to actively search for one as the release gets closer

• Like 1

COVID supply chain shortages are still causing major problems for consumer electronics (and pretty much everything else).

I promised my 11yo son a PS5 for Christmas last year.  Yeah that obviously hasn't happened.  Recently trying to get ahead of it for THIS Christmas and doesn't look much better.

COVID supply chain shortages are still causing major problems for consumer electronics (and pretty much everything else).
I promised my 11yo son a PS5 for Christmas last year.  Yeah that obviously hasn't happened.  Recently trying to get ahead of it for THIS Christmas and doesn't look much better.

You best get to sucking dick for extra money or fucking an old fat lady.

On 9/14/2021 at 7:04 AM, Pato del Muerto said:

So you were a member for a year before getting your invite?  I’d sign up if it was a couple of months, but I have no other reason to pay for ps plus so it’s just an added cost of acquisition. 

I mean I have had a PS+ acct for a while. Buy like a couple years worth when they go on big sale (33% off). I used the account on my PS4 while waiting. About to start over Last of Us 2 with the free graphics upgrade. Pretty amazing the publisher did that free upgrade (ahem EA).

On 9/14/2021 at 10:03 AM, Hozz said:

KOTOR is one of the best games ever made.  And it was an Xbox exclusive originally, PC later in the year.  Crazy that was 18 years ago now.  I bought an Xbox to play it and don't regret it.  I would have a PS5 right now if you could impulse buy them...still hard to believe they aren't in stock all the time almost a year after release.  KOTOR will get me to actively search for one as the release gets closer

Yep.

I've never owned a Sony console.  I went from NES, SNES, N64, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox 1.

I would buy a PS5 to play this game, but I'm not until I can walk into Target and pick one up at MSRP.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1