NextGen Consoles: PS-5 and XBox X

Iceman

https://www.thurrott.com/games/playstation/243554/there-will-be-no-ps5s-in-stores-on-launch-day

There Will Be No PS5s in Stores on Launch Day

Sony announced today that it will not be offering the PlayStation 5 for sale at retail store locations on its November 12 launch day. Instead, interested customers will need to order the new console online.

“In the interest of keeping our gamers, retailers, and staff safe amidst COVID-19, today we are confirming that all day-of launch sales will be conducted through the online stores of our retail partners,” Sony’s Sid Shuman writes in the announcement post. “No units will be available in-store for purchase on launch day (November 12 or November 19, depending on your region) [so] please don’t plan on camping out or lining up at your local retailer on launch day in hopes of finding a PS5 console for purchase. Be safe, stay home, and place your order online.”

Yikes.

I guess that’s understandable, but I also suspect this has as much to do with supply as it does with public safety. After all, each retailer handles the social distancing requirements themselves, and this is not something Sony should have to even think about.

And on that note, Mr. Shuman does note that gamers who pre-ordered the PS5 for pick-up at a retailer “should still be able to do so at their designated appointment time, under the retailer’s safety protocols.”

On 11/5/2020 at 2:03 PM, MillerEP said:

Got my email they shipped my new XBox Series X today. Now just need to snag me a PS5 when they start selling again.

Greedy fucker 😆 

I will get a ps5 after Christmas I assume. I have tried everytime it comes up but I keep missing the boat.

Edited by HOOKEM4

Holy crap the load times are crazy on the Series X.

I just plugged in my external HDD yesterday and started testing games and was very meh’d by the experience... till I thought about it and moved the main games I play over to the internal storage.

Holy shit! It was near instant load and the quick start was pretty impressive except on FIFA where it wanted to quick resume me into an online match that was no longer online. Heh.

I’m gonna move over red dead 2 today and see those load times because that was painful on the one x.

Still waiting on the series X optimized games to drop but damn it’s fast...

They are definitely gonna sell some of those crazy expensive nvme seagate SSD cards, due to the speed and the need for more room... I’ve got 6 games on it and already at about 65% capacity

• Hook 'Em 1

My son has an Xbox One and I am looking at maybe getting him the Series X for Christmas.  From what I have read I understand that it is backwards compatible with Xbox One titles so he can continue to play the games he already has.  However, can someone confirm if online games like Fortnight would still be able to be played together between him on a Series X and his friends that still have an Xbox One?  I can't seem to find a clear answer (at least to dummy me) to this online.  Thanks 

Also, from what I can tell this is the case, but is it 100% confirmed that all progress on Xbox One games carries over to the Series X?  Does it matter if there is a game in the internal vs external drive?  From what i understand, progress is saved via the account online so it should carry over?

23 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

Stop rubbing it in.

Got the XBX, but took the day off work to stare at my screen and can't get my hands on a PS5

On the first two Wal-mart releases today I got progressively closer to check out. Hoping the 3rd time is the charm a little later. 

6 minutes ago, hornbri said:

On the first two Wal-mart releases today I got progressively closer to check out. Hoping the 3rd time is the charm a little later. 

Haha, same. Second time I got as far as confirming my shipping address before it shit the bed. It kept it in my cart, but I couldn't help myself and kept trying and eventually they removed it, so I have to start back at square 1 next cycle.

9 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

Haha, same. Second time I got as far as confirming my shipping address before it shit the bed. It kept it in my cart, but I couldn't help myself and kept trying and eventually they removed it, so I have to start back at square 1 next cycle.

ditto, the 2nd time I got to the end and had a expired card on file. By the time I got it all updated they had removed it from the cart. 

4 hours ago, hornbri said:

Got it on the third!  Trick was I already had it in my cart and card on file. First two times tried to add to cart and would get to the place order screen multiple times and then error. This time at 8 I “placed order” not “added to card”. Still took forever to load each page with multiple error messages and then it finally updated to a receipt.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Speedtrucker said:

Your best bet will be Black Friday when the big box stores say they’ll have more stock for online sales

I mean I'm gonna try then too. But they go super fast. I've been trying to catch the PS Store when they open up sales. They've been opening up almost every day since launch, but there's no announcement and basically just have to get lucky and refresh at the right time.

12 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

I mean I'm gonna try then too. But they go super fast. I've been trying to catch the PS Store when they open up sales. They've been opening up almost every day since launch, but there's no announcement and basically just have to get lucky and refresh at the right time.

Same here, it's super fucking annoying. I don't get this lack of communication or transparency with their fans. It's like they hate their fans. Why not just let me fucking back order? Just take my money and ship it to me when you can. If I have to wait until Dec or Jan? Fine, I'll wait. But Noooooo...I have to fucking play this clusterfuck of a game where I have to be sitting in front of my PC at all hours, refreshing like crazy in the hopes that I manage to land in a surprise fucking queue.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

19 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

Same here, it's super fucking annoying. I don't get this lack of communication or transparency with their fans. It's like they hate their fans. Why not just let me fucking back order? Just take my money and ship it to me when you can. If I have to wait until Dec or Jan? Fine, I'll wait. But Noooooo...I have to fucking play this clusterfuck of a game where I have to be sitting in front of my PC at all hours, refreshing like crazy in the hopes that I manage to land in a surprise fucking queue.

Speaking of, I'm in one now  Wish me luck