NextGen Consoles: PS-5 and XBox X

Iceman

Walmart has me nervous now. The money showed back up in my bank account today, but their site still says the order is active, and pending shipping in Jan. I didn't get a cancellation notice or anything. So is this just one of those things where they'll charge me when it ships, or is something fishy going on?

5 hours ago, MillerEP said:

Walmart has me nervous now. The money showed back up in my bank account today, but their site still says the order is active, and pending shipping in Jan. I didn't get a cancellation notice or anything. So is this just one of those things where they'll charge me when it ships, or is something fishy going on?

Should remain in “pending status” as they don’t actually charge the card until they ship. Basically just a hold 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, MillerEP said:

You should be good still. They apparently just want to make sure you have the funds first and then will put money back into account. Should show up again when it ships.

• Hook 'Em 1

So I bought both of them to try them out.  The XBox is going on eBay.  It's just a mid-level gaming PC.  Same games, same general upside. Home screen even looks like Windows.  In fact, I think an Xbox Series-S is a helluva a value if you don't have a comparable or better PC - its price is in the range of a lot of similar-level graphics cards alone.  But since I have a PC already I don't see a need for it if all the Xbox games are also available on Windows.

You could really make the argument that they're both midlevel gaming PCs at this point, but I feel like there's more potential uniqueness in what PS5 has going on in terms of exclusive games and the functionality of that odd-looking controller.  And it looks like from early sales figures that the install base is going to approach 5-to-1 or more.

Plus the XBox looks like a box that something else comes in. The PS5 is a goofy-looking behemoth but at least they tried to make it look interesting.  It's "lazy" vs. "batshit," and I always seem to go for the latter.

But neither one of them is a clear must-have or a clear wrong choice. 

• Like 1

I don't particularly care what they look like. I don't look at the console while playing. It's going to be tucked down in a TV stand and will largely be invisible.

I'm going XBox mostly due to Gamepass. And yeah a lot of those games I could play on PC, but my couch is more comfortable than my office chair, my living room TV is 4k while my computer monitor isn't, and while the console might be the same cost as a good GPU it is way cheaper than updating my entire computer.

I am never going to have the time to play all the exclusives on both systems, and I'm ok with missing some Sony games when there are a few hundred games I can try on Gamepass.

This will be my very first XBox ever so there are also tons of old XBox games I never had access to on Gamepass I can catch up on as well.

I don't particularly care what they look like. I don't look at the console while playing. It's going to be tucked down in a TV stand and will largely be invisible.
I'm going XBox mostly due to Gamepass. And yeah a lot of those games I could play on PC, but my couch is more comfortable than my office chair, my living room TV is 4k while my computer monitor isn't, and while the console might be the same cost as a good GPU it is way cheaper than updating my entire computer.
I am never going to have the time to play all the exclusives on both systems, and I'm ok with missing some Sony games when there are a few hundred games I can try on Gamepass.
This will be my very first XBox ever so there are also tons of old XBox games I never had access to on Gamepass I can catch up on as well.

Agree with this, though I have always been an Xbox person. I hate the PS controllers and their exclusives don’t really interest me.

And yeah, Gamepass is an incredible value.

28 minutes ago, Hawndoh said:

Like I said, neither one is a must-buy or bad choice, and the Xbox is a great deal if your computer doesn't match up gameplay-wise.  But if you have a nice gaming PC it might make more sense to go PS5 (or even take a pass this gen).

1 hour ago, Liquor and Poker said:

So I bought both of them to try them out.  The XBox is going on eBay.  It's just a mid-level gaming PC.  Same games, same general upside. Home screen even looks like Windows.  In fact, I think an Xbox Series-S is a helluva a value if you don't have a comparable or better PC - its price is in the range of a lot of similar-level graphics cards alone.  But since I have a PC already I don't see a need for it if all the Xbox games are also available on Windows.

You could really make the argument that they're both midlevel gaming PCs at this point, but I feel like there's more potential uniqueness in what PS5 has going on in terms of exclusive games and the functionality of that odd-looking controller.  And it looks like from early sales figures that the install base is going to approach 5-to-1 or more.

Plus the XBox looks like a box that something else comes in. The PS5 is a goofy-looking behemoth but at least they tried to make it look interesting.  It's "lazy" vs. "batshit," and I always seem to go for the latter.

But neither one of them is a clear must-have or a clear wrong choice. 

I will buy the Xbox Series X from you. Are you here in Austin?

Edited by Longhorn94

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/12/23/tech/kfc-games-console-chicken-scli-intl/index.html

KFC launches game console that keeps your chicken warm
By Jack Guy, CNN
Updated 8:16 AM EST, Wed December 23, 2020
article video
(CNN Business) Fast-food chain KFC has launched a new Intel-powered games console that comes with a built-in "chicken chamber" to keep your snacks warm.

The KFConsole is part of a partnership with hardware manufacturer Cooler Master, KFC said in a statement on Tuesday.

"The Bargain Bucket-shaped machine features the world's first built in chicken chamber, which is kitted out to keep its contents hot, ready for consumption during intense gaming sessions," KFC added.

Your chicken will be kept hot thanks to a custom-built cooling system that keeps the console hardware at a regular temperature while using heat produced by its components to warm the chicken chamber.

Other specs include an Intel Nuc 9 Extreme Compute Element and two Seagate BarraCuda 1TB SSD drives for storage, according to the Cooler Master website.

The "Chicken Chamber" uses the console's heat and airflow system.
The "Chicken Chamber" uses the console's heat and airflow system.
The console can handle virtual reality games and offers smooth gameplay thanks to 240 frames per second frame rate and 4K display compatibility, according to details published by Cooler Master.

"This machine is capable of running games at top-level specs, all on top of keeping your meal warm for you to enjoy during your gaming experience... what's not to like?," said Mark Cheevers, PR & social media lead at KFC UK & Ireland, in the company's press release.

"If Sony or Microsoft want any tips on how to engineer a chicken chamber for their efforts next time, they'd be welcome to get in touch."

KFC and Crocs created a clog that's covered in fried chicken with a charm that smells like it, too
KFC and Crocs created a clog that's covered in fried chicken with a charm that smells like it, too
Intel (INTC) said it had nothing to add to details released by Cooler Master or KFC and did not comment on pricing or release date when contacted by CNN. KFC did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

This is not the first time the fast food chain has collaborated with other brands.

In February, KFC and Crocs announced the KFC X Crocs Bucket Clog, a limited edition shoe covered in a fried chicken print. And, in December 2019, the fast food chain teamed up with artificial fire log company Enviro-Log to offer the chicken-scented 11 Herbs & Spices Firelog.

5 minutes ago, Deej said:

I went with the Series X due to the backwards compatibility of my library of games and Game Pass. 

The back catalog thing is a good point.  That would be the deciding factor for a lot of folks.  One of the reasons I still have an iPhone.

I'm not super sold on Gamepass as a factor because it's available on PC without an Xbox.  And it's $10-15/mo.  I paid $33 last week for PS Plus for a year.  For that, PS Plus Collection is a good deal-basically I own the 28 greatest hits of the PS4 exclusives until I stop paying for PS Plus.

1 hour ago, Longhorn94 said:

I will buy the Xbox Series X from you. Are you here in Austin?

Houston and already sold (at least pledged) to son's friend.  If he and his mom don't show up with the dough today, though...

If you get one of those deals, is it easy to apply them without messing up your auto-pay on Gamepass?

I do already have Gamepass Ultimate for access of some of the games on PC in anticipation of the console. The PC catalog is not as extensive as the console catalog.

14 minutes ago, Hawndoh said:

If you get one of those deals, is it easy to apply them without messing up your auto-pay on Gamepass?

I do already have Gamepass Ultimate for access of some of the games on PC in anticipation of the console. The PC catalog is not as extensive as the console catalog.

I did not know that.  Is there a place where I can see the difference?

55 minutes ago, Hawndoh said:

It has never messed up my autopsy. They just take a dollar out each month.

Edited by Deej

Ps5 from the Walmart 12/15 drop finally shows to be delivered by Tuesday. Was originally set to be delivered 1/8.

I got my bundle from GameStop with a shipping date of 1/5 originally. Mine shows expected delivery of 12/28 now. I also noticed StockX price dropping, so hopefully this is a good sign for everyone still trying to get one.
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 12/25/2020 at 1:27 AM, Txzen said:

Scored one from a Walmart drop last week. Was scheduled to arrive January 8. Showed up at noon today. Christmas miracle indeed. 

Mine was set for 1/12, yesterday it updated to 12/30, today it was updated to delivered... And I'm 3 hours away and won't be home until tomorrow.... 

• Hook 'Em 1

So I picked mine up on the 21st by luck early in the morning. Thanks to my darling wife who told my 3yo daughter that it was a present from her and her sister, I got to wait til Christmas Day to open it. During that time my daughter would come over to me and point at the box under the tree and say “look dada, that your present!” Gonna say it was a new form of torture I was not aware of. 

So I’ve been able to get some time in now with some upscaled games like Rocket league, cyberpunk, and Cold War and also some standard games like Madden ‘20 and Hitman 2.  I’m playing on my living room Sony TV so I’m not able to utilize the 120fps, but over all I’m fairly impressed. Loading times are between 15%-50% faster, the home interface is the same as on my One X which is nice and the 4K is pretty accurate and in line with high end PC performance. 

Still, the lack of catalogue on launch is pretty annoying. It’s like they used a spotty and cramped map Coldwar as an excuse to push back Halo. The response experience is quick but not sharp like the PS5.

overall I like the system but am slightly underwhelmed with the available catalog experience 

Edited by Doc Reeves
  • Like 1

No, but I did call and wait almost two hours on hold (watched some football) and the customer service agent confirmed I was good and gave me my confirmation number. I didn’t screenshot it when I saw it and before I left the page...but I did get a message upon confirmation that emails could take up to 24 hours to get...so y’all should be good too. Their FAQ section says emails have been taking up to 48 hours and as long as you saw the confirmation screen you’re good.

New question for you. I got an email saying that my order is getting ready to be shipped soon, with a estimated delivery date of today. Did you get one similar? If so, did you get a tracking? (Never got a confirmation email when the order was placed).

I lucked out on HotStock last week and was able to get an xbox at Best Buy that I will be available for pickup on Saturday.  All my son wants right now is Madden, so I'm going to get that.  Any recs on games that my daughter might like?  She's 12 and plays games like Roblox on her phone and Animal Crossing on the Switch.

7 hours ago, Stuck in CO said:

I lucked out on HotStock last week and was able to get an xbox at Best Buy that I will be available for pickup on Saturday.  All my son wants right now is Madden, so I'm going to get that.  Any recs on games that my daughter might like?  She's 12 and plays games like Roblox on her phone and Animal Crossing on the Switch.

It's on Switch as well but if your daughter hasnt played Stardew Valley it is one of the best indie games of the last few years and is pretty cheap.

7 hours ago, MillerEP said:

Same as above, my PS5 was scheduled for delivery in Jan, arrived yesterday. Guess I didn't need to worry about Walmart afterall. So now I'm complete again, PS5 and XSX, I have the week off for the holidays, so I've been playing them both non-stop.

Good stuff.  My tracking confirmation has never been sent, and the Gamestop order checker still says pending, but I have a package set to arrive tomorrow per FedEx Advanced Tracking.  

20 minutes ago, Hawndoh said:

It's on Switch as well but if your daughter hasnt played Stardew Valley it is one of the best indie games of the last few years and is pretty cheap.

I second Stardew Valley.  I am ashamed to admit the amount of hours I have in the game due to business travel.  

I preordered my Series X and got it on launch day. Then about a month later I was in the middle of playing PvZ Battle for Neighborville, a game I had played plenty of times before this, and it just shut off and would not turn back on despite trying different power cords and different outlets. I read a few similar reports online and ended up sending it to Microsoft to get serviced. In less than a week I received a replacement console and haven't had any problems with the replacement unit.

Just wanted to post to say bugs and issues are inevitable with new technology and I feel like I had been lucky in the past with never having any problems with any of my launch day consoles, but I guess it was just my time this time. Good on Microsoft for quickly sending me a replacement, though.

New question for you. I got an email saying that my order is getting ready to be shipped soon, with a estimated delivery date of today. Did you get one similar? If so, did you get a tracking? (Never got a confirmation email when the order was placed).

Sorry just catching up to this thread. Ya, I got an email when it shipped with tracking.

It got here 7-10 days earlier than I expected. I was impressed. I hope you have yours already.

The downloading of games right now just to get the system ready has been longer than expected. But, at least I’ll be ready when AV team comes out Friday and connects this in the media room.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hornfan785 said:

I preordered my Series X and got it on launch day. Then about a month later I was in the middle of playing PvZ Battle for Neighborville, a game I had played plenty of times before this, and it just shut off and would not turn back on despite trying different power cords and different outlets. I read a few similar reports online and ended up sending it to Microsoft to get serviced. In less than a week I received a replacement console and haven't had any problems with the replacement unit.

Just wanted to post to say bugs and issues are inevitable with new technology and I feel like I had been lucky in the past with never having any problems with any of my launch day consoles, but I guess it was just my time this time. Good on Microsoft for quickly sending me a replacement, though.

That happened once with mine. Did a hard reboot by holding the power button down until it powered back up. No issues since. 

• 2 weeks later...