There is more Cloak Room in Daily Texan than there is in Cloak Room.

1 hour ago, Viper said:

can you post some example posts so they can be reported?

might as well just report every post in the tOtAlLy NoT pOlItIcAl *winkwink* fake hate crime thread. 

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 7

You think discussing racism/ fake racism isn’t a social issue if the day?   For as heated as the subject CAN be, it’s been unbelievably civil. There’s practically no politics in the thread at all, at least if the variety usually complained about. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Iceman said:

You think discussing racism/ fake racism isn’t a social issue if the day?   For as heated as the subject CAN be, it’s been unbelievably civil. There’s practically no politics in the thread at all, at least if the variety usually complained about. 

yeah_sure_jon_hamm.gif

• Like 8

On 6/30/2020 at 8:28 AM, Armybrat said:

Well, the titty  threads in NSAA haven’t been politicized...... yet.

It's obvious that certain cultures are being under represented there.  The whole thing stinks of racism.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Homercles said:

So I’ll get begged by some of y’all and that’s fine, but it seems a problem of their own creation...refuse to engage in dialog or defense of their CR posts on a time of heavy political divide, take their ball and go home to the rest of the board, and then spread their political message in a thinly veiled way all over the rest of the board while bitching about ‘how the whole site is political’...often because they yet again refuse to defend/discuss their views honestly there too. 

1. Beggers annoy me.   

2. There is ZERO desire for diologue or true discourse.  Anyone who deviates from the leftist cabal is met with getting shouted down, told how idiotically stupid they are, and ghost negged by 20 motherfuckers who never participate in the conversation.   It's a fucking beating and not worth it.  Message heard loud and fucking clear from this poster, who hasn't shied away from those discussions since joining the Shag in 2008.  Regardless of my life experience and being relatively successful, I evidently can't hit my ass with both hands when it comes to expectations for public policy.  Whatever...

3. The DT thing drives the leftists nuts because issues are discussed without the constant, "we hate CheetoMan and you support him if you're not wishing for instant death on his ass"   The message needs to be controlled, right?   LOLz.  Bottom line is they can post in DT too( and have) without the political histrionics, but it irks a few of them to no end that they can't wave their banner and blast every discussion with propaganda.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 8
  • Fuck You 1

Ever considered the possibility that your opinions aren't good? Any time i've made a post that got 20+ neg reps, i've definitely known it was coming, and that whatever it was that i posted wasn't very helpful to anyone/wasn't a meaningful contribution to the convo.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Iceman said:

1. Beggers annoy me.   

2. There is ZERO desire for diologue or true discourse.  Anyone who deviates from the leftist cabal is met with getting shouted down, told how idiotically stupid they are, and ghost negged by 20 motherfuckers who never participate in the conversation.   It's a fucking beating and not worth it.  Message heard loud and fucking clear from this poster, who hasn't shied away from those discussions since joining the Shag in 2008.  Regardless of my life experience and being relatively successful, I evidently can't hit my ass with both hands when it comes to expectations for public policy.  Whatever...

3. The DT thing drives the leftists nuts because issues are discussed without the constant, "we hate CheetoMan and you support him if you're not wishing for instant death on his ass"   The message needs to be controlled, right?   LOLz.  Bottom line is they can post in DT too( and have) without the political histrionics, but it irks a few of them to no end that they can't wave their banner and blast every discussion with propaganda.

Using terms like ‘leftist cabal’ and complaints about propaganda when people are posting tweets by Andy Ngo expected to be taken as gospel shows exactly what I’m talking about.  Just put people on ignore and move on with your life if it riles you up so bad, a sizable part of this country (as reflected on this site) really do believe that guy is toxic...and despite your statement it’s not 100% wishing death on him, over-generalization is furthering divide. 

You can’t control other people, and you’re welcome to your own beliefs.  I don’t have anyone on ignore, and despite disagreeing with a few I just shrug, think ‘pretty sure you’re on the wrong side of history’ and move on.  Let history prove them right or wrong, and go on with your life.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

Ever considered the possibility that your opinions aren't good? Any time i've made a post that got 20+ neg reps, i've definitely known it was coming, and that whatever it was that i posted wasn't very helpful to anyone/wasn't a meaningful contribution to the convo.

Yeah, except that in every other forum, real conversations are had.  Many, many conversations and threads.  Without incident.  Go in CR and it’s fucking lunacy.

That’s not to say there are posters in CR with whom I don’t have great dialogue.  Honestly, someone like Fondren Road is someone with whom Ii very, very rarely agree politically; yet through the years, we’ve had many good talks.  It’s hardly limited to FR.

But yeah, I’ll just go through life doubting my opinions because the CR can’t discuss them Productively.   I mean I don’t have near the problems a shit ton of those folks have or are headed for; but I am seeking their validation.

Lolz.   You’re right.   It’s me.

44 minutes ago, Iceman said:

Yeah, except that in every other forum, real conversations are had.  Many, many conversations and threads.  Without incident.  Go in CR and it’s fucking lunacy.

That’s not to say there are posters in CR with whom I don’t have great dialogue.  Honestly, someone like Fondren Road is someone with whom Ii very, very rarely agree politically; yet through the years, we’ve had many good talks.  It’s hardly limited to FR.

But yeah, I’ll just go through life doubting my opinions because the CR can’t discuss them Productively.   I mean I don’t have near the problems a shit ton of those folks have or are headed for; but I am seeking their validation.

Some are great posters, but then some get overzealous then cross a line, but not too many say anything about it. Maybe a back off a little, or anything like that would be nice. 

3 hours ago, Iceman said:

1. Beggers annoy me.   

Why? Ignore the trolls and post your opinions/facts. I'm always looking for reasons why people believe in something that I don't and would love to hear it. I'm not sure what level of shit you are willing to put forth to change/express an opinion, but I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels that way. If there is some harm done to you (banned, I guess?) then I get it. Otherwise suck it up and post. We need rational opposition voices in this country. 

26 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Why? Ignore the trolls and post your opinions/facts. I'm always looking for reasons why people believe in something that I don't and would love to hear it. I'm not sure what level of shit you are willing to put forth to change/express an opinion, but I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels that way. If there is some harm done to you (banned, I guess?) then I get it. Otherwise suck it up and post. We need rational opposition voices in this country. 

how is slorch supposed to ignore himself?

😁

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Iceman said:

Your former username has become a verb in Shaggy/Surly lexicon across all forums.  So maybe it is you.

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Your former username has become a verb in Shaggy/Surly lexicon across all forums.  So maybe it is you.

I feel like if he ever got the urge to bring it back, I'd want him go full Slorch. I also would like Swam to come back, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Except that it isn’t just me bailing out of CR with similar concerns. and I’ve always rolled with the punches regarding the meme/ verb, embracing it even.

The denial of the issues is astounding really   Like it has all been made up or some shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

Your last line is an exceptional one.  It’s obvious when it comes to politics, that is nowhere near the popular opinion.   

I'm all for keeping politics off the rest of the board, but come the fuck on guys. The president of the United States is a walking disaster. Everything he does is starting to massively effect everyone and everything and it's not good. People are going to talk about things that are fucked up and right now our own government is responsible for the majority of the fuck ups. I don't care what team you are on, responsibility lies where it lies. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 6
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Iceman said:

Your last line is an exceptional one.  It’s obvious when it comes to politics, that is nowhere near the popular opinion.   

Well popular opinion also thinks that floating vomit boats with the cast of who's who of Walmart as your fellow shipmates is a positive way to spend your precious vacation time. Who cares what popular opinion is especially if you have something of value to add to a discussion. 

Edited by SimonBolivar

1 hour ago, immamac said:

I'm all for keeping politics off the rest of the board, but come the fuck on guys. The president of the United States is a walking disaster. Everything he does is starting to massively effect everyone and everything and it's not good. People are going to talk about things that are fucked up and right now our own government is responsible for the majority of the fuck ups. I don't care what team you are on, responsibility lies where it lies. 

Fucks up all of America in less than 4 years? Hell, we didn't really get out of control till the virus hit. The Twitterverse obviously exploded, but most people didn't give two shits.

Weird how that timing works and how "cloaked up" the board got after shit hit the fan...don't be an obtuse fuckwad. I didn't say anything about "fucks up all of America in less than 4 years" so quit your bullshit. I specifically stated that the accountable parties hold office right now regardless of who that is. Them is the rules, I didn't make them and neither did you.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

9 hours ago, Iceman said:

It's useless to even start a thread over there.

Edited by Bash Riprock

2 hours ago, immamac said:

Weird how that timing works and how "cloaked up" the board got after shit hit the fan...don't be an obtuse fuckwad. I didn't say anything about "fucks up all of America in less than 4 years" so quit your bullshit. I specifically stated that the accountable parties hold office right now regardless of who that is. Them is the rules, I didn't make them and neither did you.

I am obtuse, I should exercise more.

• Haha 1

On 7/2/2020 at 7:33 AM, Homercles said:

You know you can block people?

The problem is when you try to read the covid thread for example, and every other post is from Lobo, and the ones in between are responses to what Lobo said, complete with quotes.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Iceman said:

Slorch, you are one of the bottom three to five posters on this entire board and everyone knows it. You add almost nothing of substance to any conversation. The only posts you put any effort into are the posts where you whine about the fact that people are mean to you when you spew your worthless crap all over the board.  You are a partisan hack and a moronic fucking Lubbock redneck and every time you enter a thread it goes to absolute dog shit for multiple pages. The moderators should force you to have a Texas Tech avatar so that nobody who stumbles upon this site without knowing your history of absolute worthlessness would ever think that you represent the University of Texas.

Your entire legacy on this board is that you are such a clown that your name is actually a verb representing when someone comes into a thread and turns it to shit. Think about that.

Also, shut the fuck up.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

39 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Slorch, you are one of the bottom three to five posters on this entire board and everyone knows it. You add almost nothing of substance to any conversation. The only posts you put any effort into are the posts where you whine about the fact that people are mean to you when you spew your worthless crap all over the board.  You are a partisan hack and a moronic fucking Lubbock redneck and every time you enter a thread it goes to absolute dog shit for multiple pages. The moderators should force you to have a Texas Tech avatar so that nobody who stumbles upon this site without knowing your history of absolute worthlessness would ever think that you represent the University of Texas.

Your entire legacy on this board is that you are such a clown that your name is actually a verb representing when someone comes into a thread and turns it to shit. Think about that.

Also, shut the fuck up.

Troll harder...

19 hours ago, immamac said:

How dare you!!!!! Liberal cuck boy!!!

Also, i nominate immortal13 for dumbest, least contributing poster that posts here. All that dude does is cry like a little bitch.

11 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Don't you have some large social gathering to go to without wearing a mask? Or have you finally changed your tune of the efficacy of masks to protect others from COVID?

I converted a while back...  

1 hour ago, XYZ said:

The problem is when you try to read the covid thread for example, and every other post is from Lobo, and the ones in between are responses to what Lobo said, complete with quotes.

I hear you but is your scrolling finger sore or something?  Between this and the constant whining about admins by Bama, this place has been a little tense lately...everyone needs to rub one out.  

I'm hearing a lot of complaining, but not really given many solutions. 

The board is not broken from a software or moderation perspective. The report posts button is alive and well and we have been dealing with reported posts as they come in. I really don't know what else it is that you want from the admin team. We aren't banning people for having opinions, you are allowed to say whatever you want about mods in the spirit of trying to make this a better place, but just bitching for the sake of bitching isn't going to get anyone from the admin team to make changes.

I am a firm believer in this community self-policing itself, but also recognize that we are currently in an extreme political, social, and public health nightmare. The world as we knew it before 2020 is gone and people are having issues coming to terms with the new world we live in. I hope that this community isn't another casualty of this, but what is going on right now is pulling everything apart at the seams.

The whole "cloak room cabal" shtick is really fucking stale at this point. If we want this board to be completely free of talking about anything besides recruiting and sports surrounding University of Texas, I'm more than happy to move the forums onto another site (still under the surly umbrella) with a shared user experience. Thats a lot of work, but if the community really thinks we've crossed the line and now the only way to fix it is divorcing the board then who am I to say no? I just know an overwhelming majority of the board stays silent on the issue, not because they are complicit, but because they are enjoying the discourse of the message board and aren't taking things personally. At the end of the day YOU as a member of the community need to realize that this board is just a place for people on the internet to talk shit about UT Athletics and anything else they feel like. 

If we want to make this board something other than that, that would certainly be news to me and the admin team, as our mission statement has been pretty clear on this site and on the old site. 

• Like 2

Solution: turn rep off.

It's meaningless, right?   Let's go.

The ghost negs are ridiculous.   It's like you're sitting in a bar, chatting with buds and some random fuckstick walks by and says, "Hey, fuck you."  But then multiple others do the same thing and you've never met them in your life( they aren't participants in the conversation.)

Now, we know how that would go down in real life.  It's keyboard potshots.  Meaningless?  of course;  but also frustrating.  It's bitchass motherfuckers being who they are.

I don't have a problem with the moderation of the board and have posted in support of   said moderators.  I do believe my participation in the community for more than a decade reflects as much.  Discourse and dialogue are rewarding and awesome.  The last thing most of want is an echo chamber.

Guest Lobo
On 7/2/2020 at 5:49 AM, tjhooker said:

It's why I stopped posting here after a good run since 2008.  The entire board is political now and mainly due to a very vocal left wing minority. It's a shame. Not the same Shaggy/Surly anymore. 

Fair point, only quoting you because I have Beeper on ignore but saw his quote in your post.  being thrown in with Hugo?   but it's typical for Rex/Beeper to constantly mention me.  Not as weird as when he posted my real name a couple years ago but still.  Anyway, I crack up at being thrown in with the "very vocal left wing minority."  I'd list my bona fides to the contrary but it would only serve to invite Beeper out from the shadows again.  A lot of us share your frustration that we can no longer discuss factual topics around the board because it gets labeled "too political/CR"  

47 minutes ago, immamac said:

The board is not broken from a software or moderation perspective. The report posts button is alive and well and we have been dealing with reported posts as they come in. I really don't know what else it is that you want from the admin team. We aren't banning people for having opinions, you are allowed to say whatever you want about mods in the spirit of trying to make this a better place, but just bitching for the sake of bitching isn't going to get anyone from the admin team to make changes.

This is what I appreciate about y'all admins. Y'all basically have 2 simple rules, don't make death threats/tell someone to kill themselves, and don't troll. Y'all don't make too many controversial moves, and are pretty even handed on how y'all punish people. I know other sites are much more strict on what you can say, but not here. Seriously, thank you for all the hard work y'all do for this site.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, immamac said:

I'm hearing a lot of complaining, but not really given many solutions. 

I am a firm believer in this community self-policing itself, but also recognize that we are currently in an extreme political, social, and public health nightmare. The world as we knew it before 2020 is gone and people are having issues coming to terms with the new world we live in. I hope that this community isn't another casualty of this, but what is going on right now is pulling everything apart at the seams.

The whole "cloak room cabal" shtick is really fucking stale at this point. If we want this board to be completely free of talking about anything besides recruiting and sports surrounding University of Texas, I'm more than happy to move the forums onto another site (still under the surly umbrella) with a shared user experience. Thats a lot of work, but if the community really thinks we've crossed the line and now the only way to fix it is divorcing the board then who am I to say no? I just know an overwhelming majority of the board stays silent on the issue, not because they are complicit, but because they are enjoying the discourse of the message board and aren't taking things personally. At the end of the day YOU as a member of the community need to realize that this board is just a place for people on the internet to talk shit about UT Athletics and anything else they feel like. 

If we want to make this board something other than that, that would certainly be news to me and the admin team, as our mission statement has been pretty clear on this site and on the old site. 

I know this would be laborious to program, but what about giving the thread starter the ability to ban certain people from that thread?

Ah, someone didn't like their stupid idea to be called out for what it is. There's already an ignore feature. If you can't handle ignoring posts this way then that's on you as a poster. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 1