There is more Cloak Room in Daily Texan than there is in Cloak Room.

44 minutes ago, mdmost said:

For complaints about echo chambering, that seems like a way to ban anyone who disagrees with you. 

You want Cloak Room to not be echo chamberish, get rid of rep in that forum. For as much as they whine, slorch and Icono are correct. It's bullshit that they can possibly be banned from this site because people in the Cloak Room decide to go neg rep jihad on them. 

I know most didn't like EMAW, but it was shit that one poster was going through a list of every post to neg it. 

• Like 1

Guest Lobo

Wait, you can be banned for getting too much neg rep?  All these years, there are so many aspects to this website I don't understand.  I just found out there's multiple users that have me on ignore.  I've never been so moved by sweet gestures.  Oh shit, is there a way where you can see who all has you on ignore?  Couple people said it in posts, I have no idea who everybody actually is though.  Would be nice to send them something during lockdown like a muffin basket or something.  Levity aside, mods are doing a decent job with that they gotta work with  I wish we could make room for the majority of us who aren't Morons for Trump or Fucksticks for the DNC.  But I know, facts have never been popular in America.  Why the hell did we think 2020 would be the year we start with logic bullshit?  

what if everyone had their own thread where they could post their opinions, no one else could post in their thread and probably just to be safe you can only read your own thread unless you specifically subscribed to other peoples threads? We could just have like a wall of updates from other peoples threads you want to read. And then you could limit it so only people you've approved to see your thread can subscribe and read your thread

8 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

what if everyone had their own thread where they could post their opinions, no one else could post in their thread and probably just to be safe you can only read your own thread unless you specifically subscribed to other peoples threads? We could just have like a wall of updates from other peoples threads you want to read. And then you could limit it so only people you've approved to see your thread can subscribe and read your thread

Subscriptive opinion pieces?

The problem with community policing is that it gives power to people who lack emotional control. People don't go on a neg-rampage because they've calmly and rationally assessed things. They go on a neg-rampage because they've lost control (and probably lost the argument).

Board Karens, essentially.

Here's a concrete example of something that is obviously political in the DT.

(I am not reporting this. I don't want this post moved/deleted/moderated. I hesitate to even show it because the report button is for bitches unless it's a threat or blatant hate speech.)

This is, 100%, a directly political argument.

The distinction Enchubben makes regarding these politicians (mayors, governors) and the cities/states is political.

He is making a political argument here, yes?

This kind of thing is constant in DT. Which is fine, just say what the rules are and follow them.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Here's a concrete example of something that is obviously political in the DT.

(I am not reporting this. I don't want this post moved/deleted/moderated. I hesitate to even show it because the report button is for bitches unless it's a threat or blatant hate speech.)

This is, 100%, a directly political argument.

The distinction Enchubben makes regarding these politicians (mayors, governors) and the cities/states is political.

He is making a political argument here, yes?

This kind of thing is constant in DT. Which is fine, just say what the rules are and follow them.

chickensandwich was right when he told you they don't want to argue about politics.  what they want is to circlejerk to dumb conservative *wink*wink* shit without being interrupted. they were largely able to do that on TOS - there were comparatively lots of conservative posters, big banks of posrep built up, and neg rep was worth like a tenth of a posrep so one posrep for posting a hillary meme outweighed a lot of neg rep.  rep, of course, got reset on exodus, pos and neg rep are both worth 1 point now, and the guys in the middle who previously might have chuckled at a hillary meme have moved to the fuck trump and all his enablers crowd.  also kinda seemed like the left just moved over here a bit more quickly. 

of course, getting crowd sourced isn't a full on permaban - you lose the name but the mods aren't IP banning you or rebanning you once they find out you've returned. 

chickensandwich was right when he told you they don't want to argue about politics.  what they want is to circlejerk to dumb conservative *wink*wink* shit without being interrupted. they were largely able to do that on TOS - there were comparatively lots of conservative posters, big banks of posrep built up, and neg rep was worth like a tenth of a posrep so one posrep for posting a hillary meme outweighed a lot of neg rep.  rep, of course, got reset on exodus, pos and neg rep are both worth 1 point now, and the guys in the middle who previously might have chuckled at a hillary meme have moved to the fuck trump and all his enablers crowd.  also kinda seemed like the left just moved over here a bit more quickly. 

of course, getting crowd sourced isn't a full on permaban - you lose the name but the mods aren't IP banning you or rebanning you once they find out you've returned. 

It's pretty clear to everyone at this point that "Cloak Roomer" is code for liberals. Because the people who bitch and moan loudest about the CR are also most of the posters who don't have the self control to not post politics on the DT.

So I mean, it's not politics they don't want on the DT. They are the worst offenders. They just don't want to hear opinions from liberals. They want a safe space.

• Like 3

Guest Lobo

So with all due respect I am still wholly unaware of the proper thread in which those of us who are not democratic party cheerleaders can discuss weird shit like facts and logic regarding the executive branch is handling of myriad issues.  Where do the adults in this country chat on this message board?  Because almost all of you idolize political leaders that need to die in the next few months

6 minutes ago, Lobo said:

So with all due respect I am still wholly unaware of the proper thread in which those of us who are not democratic party cheerleaders can discuss weird shit like facts and logic regarding the executive branch is handling of myriad issues.  Where do the adults in this country chat on this message board?  Because almost all of you idolize political leaders that need to die in the next few months

you're supposed to do that in CR.  you can start a new thread if you believe that the DJT 2020 thread isn't appropriate (as it's mostly just dunking on dumb shit DJT says/does)

• Like 1

On 7/2/2020 at 5:49 AM, tjhooker said:

It's why I stopped posting here after a good run since 2008.  The entire board is political now and mainly due to a very vocal left wing minority. It's a shame. Not the same Shaggy/Surly anymore. 

You call people "snowflake" with a straight face, don't you?

I feel for the mods in DT because the issues of our day - COVID, race & policing, etc. - are inherently political. You cannot remove public policy, and therefore politics, from those topics. I don't know how you police that without leaving everyone aggrieved.

• Like 1

Guest Lobo

It is a thankless and challenging job.  We could have this weird posting thresh hold where like you post weird shit like true stuff and it can stay up no matter what.  But yeah, we should probably continue shitting on anything that hurts the feelings of those opposed to science and facts.  I like it.  I'm tired of a university-associated message board trafficking in good ideas and proven facts.  It's fucking bullshit.  This needs to be a place for deceit and popped collars.  

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

You call people "snowflake" with a straight face, don't you?

I feel for the mods in DT because the issues of our day - COVID, race & policing, etc. - are inherently political. You cannot remove public policy, and therefore politics, from those topics. I don't know how you police that without leaving everyone aggrieved.

you just move the threads and tell chickensandwich and moby ric if they want to *winkwinknudgeudge* politics they need to play in the right forum.  this isn't really that hard. 

• Like 2

@immamac I’ve said it before, but if you have the ability to limit posting on other forums if a poster has 50% (or 69, or 85, whatever) posts in CR, I think you could solve a lot of problems. The problem isn’t people who occasionally want to discuss politics, it’s the people that can’t do anything BUT discuss politics, no matter where they are

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

@immamac I’ve said it before, but if you have the ability to limit posting on other forums if a poster has 50% (or 69, or 85, whatever) posts in CR, I think you could solve a lot of problems. The problem isn’t people who occasionally want to discuss politics, it’s the people that can’t do anything BUT discuss politics, no matter where they are

Just update the rep rules.  if you have 50% of you post in CR, or if you have under 100 post,  you can't rep other posters.  those people follow people around the site.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, UT_OB1 said:

that only punishes people who discuss politics in the right place.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, elfenix said:

that only punishes people who discuss politics in the right place.

I wouldn’t be for setting it below 50, and I’d probably think it should be around 65 or 70. Then it would only punish people who come to a Texas Longhorn board with multiple forums, but they only come to talk politics 

Seems like the answer to that would just be define "politics" and then actually forbid its discussion everywhere but CR.

Oh, and The CHAZ thread that I was ruining with "politics" is right back on track. Opposing views eliminated. TexAgs Lite back in business.

On 6/29/2020 at 6:16 PM, Dr. Beeper said:

I’m just resigned to the fact that this board has been infiltrated by way too many Bama Chicks and Hugos and Lobos and people that will empathize with and engage them. In every forum. I post here for one thread. If it weren’t here I would only check in during football season. 

I find the politicization of everything extremely off putting. 

Well, maybe don't support politicians who are going to interfere with my life, then. I do not have the privilege to be able to escape current politics. And that's what is going on here: COVID shouldn't have been a political issue, but it became one, thanks to President Asshat. Not having cops randomly kill any black person they feel like shouldn't be a political issue, but President Asshat made it one. Locking up brown-skinned families for months on end with no relief shouldn't even be happening, but here we are.

And because people didn't pay attention in History class, they're actually stupid enough to support this behavior.

When you get your stupid politics in my life, you lose the right to draw a line and say, "Let's not have politics, here." Because you got your politics into my life, made it significantly worse, and no. I will not shut up about it. I don't get to escape it, so neither do you until you realize what you've done, what it is you're actually supporting. And make no mistake, if you're keeping silent, you're supporting it.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Well, maybe don't support politicians who are going to interfere with my life, then.

yes that accurately describes either of our two political parties-- support the one that doesn't have politicians who want to interfere in your life

and man I miss when stuff happened and we had a President that didn't MAKE those things political, those were the days

what days were those again?

Edited by SwanderedTalent
  • Like 1

On 7/4/2020 at 9:02 AM, UT_OB1 said:

I wouldn’t be for setting it below 50, and I’d probably think it should be around 65 or 70. Then it would only punish people who come to a Texas Longhorn board with multiple forums, but they only come to talk politics.

You’re not getting it. The only place to discuss current events completely, ie with politics, is in the CR. I would love to post in DT about a lot of stuff, but to avoid problems it’s just safer there. What you’re advocating for is a self cleaning echo chamber. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

You’re not getting it. The only place to discuss current events completely, ie with politics, is in the CR. I would love to post in DT about a lot of stuff, but to avoid problems it’s just safer there. What you’re advocating for is a self cleaning echo chamber. 

So...only post in CR then and don’t post in DT if you can’t leave politics out of it?  My solution would make that a programming issue as opposed to a decision. 

9 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

So...only post in CR then and don’t post in DT if you can’t leave politics out of it?  My solution would make that a programming issue as opposed to a decision. 

that doesn't do anything with the people who abandoned CR and post politics in DT. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

So... read better?  I can leave politics out of it, hence more posting in CR than DT. Your solution would likely exclude me from DT entirely because I’d rather discuss things instead of having to post on egg shells that something can be construed as political. 

Early in the COVID thread posts about how other countries were handling things better were met with “take your America hating shit back to the CR.” There are tons of posts that walk up to or over the line politically, but they are more right leaning, so they don’t get shouted down. I won’t paint you with the broad brush of that group since I don’t check it as often, but many on there don’t want apolitical discussion, they just don’t want political discussion from one side. They want an echo chamber. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

No, the point is that if you're "leaving politics out of it" you're leaving out key contributing factors to our COVID response and current situation. It's leaving key facts out, and the protection of bad actors and their decisions by putting them out of bounds of discussion is political in itself. 

It's not that we're licking our chops at the chance to talk shit about Abbott or say "oThEr TeAm BaD", its that he allowed politics to influence his public health decisions that have direct impact on our lives. 

I haven't gotten to see my dad in his nursing home in over four months because COVID is still raging in Texas, and our current situation has actively made worse by our governor and president politicizing the pandemic. Fuck this shit and the implicit defense of these disastrous policy decisions. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

I think the point that DT is redundant is really what we're getting at, here.

There's no way to discuss the news without involving politics, unless your idea of discussing news involves this:

Alamy_A14A69-c-29b8790.jpg?quality=90&cr

Ed Zachary.

There's a difference between "choices by this admin/governor/president caused x, y, z" and "fuck that fat orange fuck"  Totally understand the latter being verboten, but the former is a discussion point.  The problem in DT right now is if the comment is about someone right of center people flip their shit.  Left of center?  Its not political somehow.  

1 minute ago, TXSG8R said:

Ed Zachary.

There's a difference between "choices by this admin/governor/president caused x, y, z" and "fuck that fat orange fuck"  Totally understand the latter being verboten, but the former is a discussion point.  The problem in DT right now is if the comment is about someone right of center people flip their shit.  Left of center?  Its not political somehow.  

So, speaking as a person who once thought he was Conservative, I never considered racism and xenophobia to be Conservative values. So I don't label Trump or his supporters as being Conservatives; I label them as being racists and xenophobes. Because that's what they are. It shouldn't be verboten to say a big fat slug that I dug up out of my yard a big fat slug that I dug up out of my yard. And frankly, the natural response by any person who hasn't drained their brain of sense to "choices by this admin/governor/president caused x, y, z" -- given that x, y, and z are concentration camps separating brown children from their families, supporting the institutionalized murder of blacks, and deaths due to the spread of a virus -- is going to be "fuck that fat orange fuck." Unless you are, as I said, the sort of person who likes setting up concentration camps for South Americans, institutionalized murder of blacks, and ignoring health warnings so that hospitals get overwhelmed and people die.

You can't separate these things.

Things are bad right now. Really bad. And the President is, unfortunately, the direct cause of one of these things and working very hard to make the other two worse. You can't discuss them and not bring that up. And once you bring it up, of course anyone with a pulse is going to say, "Fuck that guy." Because fuck that guy. He is making everyone in America's lives harder, even those who support him. 

Don't like it? Well, maybe stop supporting him, and start supporting some actual Conservative points of view. Things like: "Thou shalt not bear false witness." "Thou shalt not commit adultery." "Thou shalt not steal." 

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I don't care about posters flipping their shit and going on neg rampages or whatever. I'm just wondering about the very obvious disparity in rule enforcement.

No, you’re not. @blacklab has said repeatedly to flag political posts in DT because he can’t read everything. If there’s a disparity, it’s likely at least partially because those who lean right are flagging stuff more.

You’ve already said you won’t flag political posts. You’d rather troll.

Blacklab has seen the posts in question there is a disparity in enforcement.

And yes, I am wondering why that is the case. I want to know what "political", "shit post", and "trolling" means so that I can post according to the rules. Because it seems to be undefined and kind of up to the feelings of the admin/mods in the moment.

And if that's the case, I would like to know that.

54 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

And yes, I am wondering why that is the case. I want to know what "political", "shit post", and "trolling" means so that I can post according to the rules.

spacer.png

Essentially every post you have ever made falls into at least one of those categories. Most are 3/3.

Final Solution

thunderdome.surlyhorns.com

Executive Summary

No poster (aside from spammers) may ever be banned by a mod again. Instead posters are immediately restricted from posting, and are sent to Thunderdome. 

In Thunderdome, The Banished can post whatever they want. It's a trash board. The catch is that, in order to have their posting status on the main board reinstated, they must hit a rep threshold from posts inside Thunderdome.

Rules

Only The Banished may post in Thunderdome.

The Banished may not rep inside Thunderdome.

All registered posters may read Thunderdome.

All registered posters may rep inside Thunderdome.

When one of The Banished receives enough positive rep in Thunderdome, his or her posting privileges on the main board are reinstated.

Each time a user is banished to Thunderdome, his or her rep threshold for reinstatement is set higher. Fibonacci. This time, it's +10 rep. Next time it's +12. 

Additional Recommendations

Thunderdome must never be referred to as "the Thunderdome." That's stupid, and makes you look like an ass.

Likewise, The Banished is a proper noun and should always be capitalised. Branding.

Thunderdome does not have topic-based forums, only one big stupid piece of shit.

All users who are reinstated from Thunderdome have their rep completely reset to zero on the main board.

Edited by gail the snail