There is more Cloak Room in Daily Texan than there is in Cloak Room.

On 7/5/2020 at 6:25 PM, bad_teammate said:

I don't care about posters flipping their shit and going on neg rampages or whatever. I'm just wondering about the very obvious disparity in rule enforcement.

There's a shitload more posters on both sides that get temp bans/probations/whatever for getting political in DT than you realize.

The post listing those users just hasn't been updated since April.

On 7/5/2020 at 6:13 PM, TXSG8R said:

There's a difference between "choices by this admin/governor/president caused x, y, z" and "fuck that fat orange fuck"  Totally understand the latter being verboten, but the former is a discussion point.  The problem in DT right now is if the comment is about someone right of center people flip their shit.  Left of center?  Its not political somehow.  

It's very reasonable and logical to say "people shouldn't describe Trump in DT as that fat orange fuck that TexAgs worships".  That's going to automatically piss off a chunk of the board and put them on the defensive, just like the people calling the lefty mayors "fascists".  That's obvious trolling, and should get a probation/temp ban/whatever. 

But in the Minneapolis/protest thread(s), you also can't say "Trump got on twitter to complain that NASCAR banned Confederate flags, and his spokeswoman said this morning that he doesn't have an opinion one way or the other on the Confederate flag", even though that kind of stuff is feeding directly into the current events we are experiencing.  Many feel that belongs in CR, even if it's not an opinion and is directly affecting a current event.

4 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

There's a shitload more posters on both sides that get temp bans/probations/whatever for getting political in DT than you realize.

The post listing those users just hasn't been updated since April.

could just leave a mod note in the offending post.  then we'd all see it.

8 hours ago, gail the snail said:

What's the rule around here about calling people retards? Can we still do that, or, no? Asking for a friend.

The preferred nomenclature is regard.  As in, that actively trolling poster gail the snail must be regarded.  Or, gail the snail is a total regard.  Personally, I prefer the twist.  Allows the regarded one to feel special, since they are a little special.

• Like 1

Guest Lobo
22 minutes ago, gail the snail said:

Gotcha. What about Mongoloid?

I think we're just supposed to call them "Trumpers" now, according to the AMA.  

First. Mostly want to apologize for my rants here and at the DT. I have a small circle of people I call close.  Not friends. That’s a smaller circle. I have my aunt dying from early onset dementia (by dying I mean her brain is gone. She was a microbiologist. She left her house a few days ago with two different shoes on, a pair of pants, nightgown over those and a few shirts and her underwear on her head. Stopped by a patrol guy who saw she needed help. My uncle has cancer and it has spread so he is going to MD Anderson. Two people related to me have Covid. My credit is in the crapper, job prospects even though I have a JD aren’t great, this is my small rant. I come here to laugh not to fight. I guess. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

First. Mostly want to apologize for my rants here and at the DT. I have a small circle of people I call close.  Not friends. That’s a smaller circle. I have my aunt dying from early onset dementia (by dying I mean her brain is gone. She was a microbiologist. She left her house a few days ago with two different shoes on, a pair of pants, nightgown over those and a few shirts and her underwear on her head. Stopped by a patrol guy who saw she needed help. My uncle has cancer and it has spread so he is going to MD Anderson. Two people related to me have Covid. My credit is in the crapper, job prospects even though I have a JD aren’t great, this is my small rant. I come here to laugh not to fight. I guess. 

I feel asleep on my last break, and my boss came in 30 minutes after break and told me to go home.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Let me see if I'm getting this right. People in CR share the same opinions and philosophies and no one is pretty much allowed to disagree with them. In DT said same people share the same political opinions and philosophies and the DT crowd dont neccesarily agree with them and really doesn't want to have to hear them in a non political forum. Which in result makes DT a right wing, trump nut hugging forum.

On 7/3/2020 at 9:08 PM, UT_OB1 said:

@immamac I’ve said it before, but if you have the ability to limit posting on other forums if a poster has 50% (or 69, or 85, whatever) posts in CR, I think you could solve a lot of problems. The problem isn’t people who occasionally want to discuss politics, it’s the people that can’t do anything BUT discuss politics, no matter where they are

And do the same for the people in DT.

15 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

Let me see if I'm getting this right. People in CR share the same opinions and philosophies and no one is pretty much allowed to disagree with them. In DT said same people share the same political opinions and philosophies and the DT crowd dont neccesarily agree with them and really doesn't want to have to hear them in a non political forum. Which in result makes DT a right wing, trump nut hugging forum.

Very regarded

On 7/14/2020 at 8:15 PM, Dr. Beeper said:

Honest question...did you get your ass kicked throughout high school?  

When I think of Dr. Beeper, I imagine Dr. Pepper and that god awful prune color on their cans - maroon. Which make me think you aggy. You aggy?   Did you go by another handle 10-20 years ago?

Back on topic - DT is fine. Plenty of adults there who know how to maneuver around the trash. Great idea to move those topics over here - where one discusses board matters. I think management has done a great job with Surly.  

Don't fuck it up surliests. 

On 7/15/2020 at 9:20 AM, Js1 said:

facts and sources

one, what he might be complaining about with regard to a "cabal" is the internet tendency to dogpile people who don't agree with you, not whether or not said dogpile is accurately sourcing its collective opinion

two, he might not trust your surely unimpeachable "facts and sources", the same way I am willing to bet you don't ever read his posts and immediately think "I have learned something new, I must now reconsider my opinions based on these new facts with which I have been presented"

Now, I like you as a poster. But you made up your mind about COVID in March and you have had a COVID shaped bug up your ass about any post by anyone who doesn't accept your position since then. Whether Onboard is or has ever been a person arguing from good faith, I don't know-- I couldn't pick one of his posts out of a lineup. But you don't seem like someone, on this topic, who is evaluating other people's good faith, or frankly listening to anything. 

Edited by SwanderedTalent
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

When you think of me you think of the finest soda ever created, and here in Texas?

The finest soda ever created was forced to remove straight-up cocaine as an ingredient back when armybrat was a kid.  I can only imagine what a pre-1903 Coke tasted like.   A half-dozen cold ones, each with 9mg of cocaine, on a hot Texas day, would be a refreshing beverage.

• Like 1

The moderation on DT is so laughably bad and the safe space snowflakes are mostly to blame.  

Literally everything going on in the news right now is political and y’all are seriously trying to keep politics out of a current events forum? lol ok

It’s been entertaining watching this shit show but with the way events are developing, I’m skeptical if y’all can keep up these arbitrary enforcement practices, it must be exhausting. 

Good luck and god bless tho! 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The moderation on DT is so laughably bad and the safe space snowflakes are mostly to blame.  

Literally everything going on in the news right now is political and y’all are seriously trying to keep politics out of a current events forum? lol ok

It’s been entertaining watching this shit show but with the way events are developing, I’m skeptical if y’all can keep up these arbitrary enforcement practices, it must be exhausting. 

Adios!  I’m waiting for cloak room Karen to weigh in!

Edited by EuroHorn
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

So let’s see, there were multiple complaints in the Portland thread that the topic was political, why are you allowing this in DT, etc...and now that it’s moved, there’s complaints that it was kept off DT.

But it’s the moderation that’s arbitrary, ok.

• Like 2

I'm just baffled by what part of "non-political current events" is hard to understand. If politics can't be separated from a current event, an obvious pigpen has already been provided for that topic. 

Then again, there's a pretty obvious bit of Goofy-level mendacity involved in saying "garsh I don't WANT it to be political but it just IS, goldurnit, hyuk hyuk."

The problem is that issues are extremely serious regardless of the politics of them. 

An unmarked military style police force abducting private American citizens is active in one of our major cities. That's a big fucking deal and needs a Daily Texan thread. 

I'm not going to ban people for telling others to use their fucking brains and/or challenging beliefs based on fucking figments of their imagination on something that serious.

• Like 1