There is more Cloak Room in Daily Texan than there is in Cloak Room.

39 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Texas is significantly different than any other southern state. We are thoughtful, independent and heavily red. Yes, that includes a shit ton of idiots on both sides but mainly Republicans. So what?  Every state is full of morons. 

This board isn’t even representative of UT or Austin. The lack of discussion here is astounding. Part of that is on Republican political “leaders” who are fucking insanely obnoxious. Part of it is on this board shunning any conservative thought or person. @immamacNobody is going to report people. The board is out of control. 

As a person who voted R for 30 years, there is no current, really defensible "conservative" thought and very few people.  There's not anything to shun, except demagoguery and idiocy.

You know what does get discussed with some frequency, that is a "conservative" shibboleth?  Religion.  There are some of the usual firebombers, but the discussion is mostly civil and nuanced.  Such discussion of unpopular topics goes on here with some frequency.

Edited by TwiceHorn

16 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

There are very few Republicans on here. This site is not representative of Texas in any way. Those that stated they were Pubs and voted against Trump are few and far between here, and were most likely lying.  

There are plenty of former Republicans here, whether you believe it or not.  You need only go look at Shaggy and various other sites where many of us congregated in the past to know that.

You are literally arguing with DDD Dad over people he has personally known and worked with over over a decade.  He presents you with facts, you don't believe it

Do you think that a shitload of us who used to be Republican were somehow suddenly replaced by Democrats who stole our user names in between Shaggy and Surly, or the various other before-time sites and Shaggy?

• Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

This board isn’t even representative of UT or Austin.

Part of it is on this board shunning any conservative thought or person. 

It's closer than you think.  Why do you think politicians love to take potshots at Austin?  Why do you think they call us "The People's Republic of Travis County" or "The People's Republic of Austin" or whatever?  Why do so many grads of other Texas schools love to shit all over UT as a bunch of libtards or whatever?

Surly is a sports-focused forum, and plenty of sports fans tend to lean conservative, and you can find all manner of topics that reinforce that, that are very active on Surly (not just the fishing and hunting and gun threads).

Yes, plenty of us who went to UT are Republicans, but UT is UT, and a shitload of liberals attended, and a shitload of Republicans who attended eventually moved towards the middle as new data came to light, as they got older, etc..  We also like to think of ourselves as being better than the groupthink that shines through on places like TexAgs.

And don't confuse "conservative" and "Republican", because those two started parted ways long before Trump, but Trump nailed the coffin shut.  

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

That’s weird. I don’t frequent there. Just drive by when they lose a heartbreaker or when UT to SEC announcement was made. That’s pretty nuts, and is weirder than people attacking people here for extolling the virtues of the remnants of used to be a Conservative party. I am more in focus now, and already admitted I was acting like a drama queen. 

The only reason they got rid of the Qanon thread is because advertisers were bitching about ads running on the same page as the Qanon shit.  One of the admins posted about it, and people bitched that they should out the advertisers who were complaining so that the posters could boycott their businesses.  

• Haha 3

On 8/19/2021 at 6:25 PM, Dr. Beeper said:

He brought out the worst in you because you’re political, and you let him. He is a joke. An absolute joke. The whole antagonistic game he played with people who think like you and the media, and the fact that people like you actually reacted negatively to him, is the most pointless exercise in history. He was so above media or Twitter spats, yet had the emotional maturity of a 3 year old. You on the other hand let that fucking idiot draw you offsides. 

Because of people like him, I’m totally apathetic with respect to politics. Politicians aren’t leaders that serve their countries. They are 99% power hunger narcissists and I have no desire whatsoever to engage in politics. It’s not in any way disingenuous. It bores me to death. 

I don’t really frequent DT, so it’s not my cover, and I’m not attempting to fool anyone. I went there to post some stuff going on in Dallas in the Texas Covid thread.  And it’s just a shit show. It really makes me disgusted with this site, UT, and people in general. 

Oh, you took that personally.  Bless your heart.  

On 8/18/2021 at 9:36 AM, Dr. Beeper said:

Texas Covid thread in DT is totally CR’ed. I can’t stand this Board’s tolerance of poking fun at Abbott’s handicap. People are so emotional right now, but that commentary isn’t helpful and I don’t want to be associated with it. 

Awww... aren't you the brave little white knight standing up for him!

On 8/18/2021 at 3:39 PM, Dr. Beeper said:

I’m not in tears. I don’t give a shit, other than it’s insanely hypocritical that this board is anti-politics unless it’s a politician you don’t like, preferably one with an R by his name. Then, political discussion is wholly acceptable, and gallows humor of a LIVING ALUM with a physical handicap is encouraged by the mob. 

And this very forum tries to convince themselves that this board has diversity of thought. You guys are all fucked in the head. 

I thought you announced that you were leaving?

The apologies given for Biden in CR Afghan thread are pathetic. The rest of the country is horrified and there purported former Republicans are saying extraction was always gonna be messy, all Americans there had ample warning to leave, and are so sensitive to any Biden criticism that they’ll say Trump killed hundreds of thousands with Covid (implication being, so what’s 13 dead Marines?). 
How people view the world here is so far from reality it’s hilarious, but the kind of hilarious that’s not at all funny. 

Not sure how you reached that conclusion from the tenor of that thread. Seems like maybe you’re projecting what you think people think rather than the actual content of the posts in that thread.

You could always jump in and offer your insights there. There seem to be a lot of military strategy experts not named inkautexas posting in there.

I rather appreciated the input from the current and ex military/IC folks on that thread.  But yeah, the other extreme kicked in and throttled the whole thing down and now we're getting news from informed folks about as fast as we're getting a Kabul Lyft.  

I’m simply reading the posts from the last several pages.  It is quite evident, there in black and white, and I’m not projecting anything. I’m not going to opine. It’s just astounding Biden is blameless for a massive fuckup, just because he isn’t Trump. CR is fantasy land. It’s as entertaining as reading TexAgs after a loss or the recent SEC announcement. 

You have to admit, though, that it’s kind of a bitch move to whine about it in here if you’re not willing to engage in there.

Just sayin’
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I’m simply reading the posts from the last several pages.  It is quite evident, there in black and white, and I’m not projecting anything. I’m not going to opine. It’s just astounding Biden is blameless for a massive fuckup, just because he isn’t Trump. CR is fantasy land. It’s as entertaining as reading TexAgs after a loss or the recent SEC announcement. 

5 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

uh, first, I have yet to meet a Biden loyalist in this forum. I have also yet to read anyone applauding the handling of evacuation. What you may have read is people saying it was the right decision, which it was (it was the right decision a long goddamn time ago). The fact that it's been a mess should be a surprise to no one. The speed with which the Taliban took over was not predicted by even the best military minds. TFG got the ball rolling and the momentum was such that Biden couldn't stop it. He bit the metaphorical bullet and did what no one else had the courage to do in the last 20 years. But yeah, it's all his fault. You got us!

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

False.  And a false dilemma.

The response around here is almost uniformly critical of multiple aspects of the withdrawal.  As just one example, the admin's decision to rely on the rosy intel about how long the ANA would hold out, as opposed to the more pessimistic intel.  To go back to my analogy, it looks as if multiple decisions were made that made this breakup with a crazy chick WORSE than it should have been.

Our pushback has been against the magical thinking that there's a path that would have made this all pretty, and/or would have made it pretty and NOT resulted in a bulked-up military presence in the very place we were supposed to be withdrawing from.

You're, as usual, a disingenuous POS.

Whatever you say, rex. Maybe you're only reading GRUhorn and babyaga's posts, but you'll not find anyone ooh-rah-ing Biden or how it went down. But playing victim and misrepresenting the other side to convince others to ignore them has been a pretty successful tactic, so you do you rexy poo

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Lulz. Not gonna do it but I could find 2 posts defending him or even praising him for every 1 post you cherry pick. 

I mean, I had to go back to before the thread got derailed with "let's just kill em all and be done with it", but it was only 5 pages back. If it was as rampant as you're intimating, I'm sure you'd recall a post or two from when you """read the last few pages""" of the thread. Unless you didn't actually read it and decided to come here and bitch anyways