There is more Cloak Room in Daily Texan than there is in Cloak Room.

On 7/16/2020 at 4:33 PM, Dr. Beeper said:

My Dad was a SigEp and my grandfather founded them at Texas. I was not one. Dad was born in Austin.  Granddaddy was born in Tennessee.  I was raised in Austin. 

Both hate Charlie Strong Apologists  

Regale us with one of those great songs about SAE.  You know, like the one the OU guy sang on the bus last year.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

shenanigans.jpg?w=584

So is the DT just a trap now where right trolls pretend they aren't being political so the mods ban anyone who points out how dumb that is? Is that what you are doing right now, telling on me to a mod so I get banned? It's a Monday, man. Who has time for that bs?

• Hook 'Em 1

1) apparently that's debatable

2) the source of my joke is that there was a post above by Blacklab, weighing in that the thread is not political if people are merely documenting and talking about news or whatever, and that anyone discussing politics or moderation or etc etc would be subject to a timeout. Not trying to tell on you to get banned although I see how.... obviously I'm highlighting your post here (and posting it in this thread rather than the other so as to abide).

I think it's extremely difficult to do any kind of "documenting" of that without it being political, and of course that is not what is going on there, and also yours is not the first post since the ruling to go against it, although I think yours is the first to talk about moderation (rather than the first to talk about politics).

I’m sure our moderators will get right on the warnings and timeouts for the right wing trolls too embarrassed to post in CR so they go all “no politics” with their antifa tweets and unsourced right wing twitter propaganda.

Must be working in shifts, that’s why it’s taking so long! 

• Hook 'Em 1

Is there not posts from both sides of the political spectrum on that thread?

Is a cop beating the crap out of a 14 year old girl libertarian, conservative or liberal?

Are pictures of graffiti  libertarian, conservative or liberal?

Frankly I don't give a fuck where on the political spectrum the posters of the videos are from, I find them interesting. If you don't, and feel it's all right wing shit then fucking go to another thread.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, blacklab said:

Is there not posts from both sides of the political spectrum on that thread?

Is a cop beating the crap out of a 14 year old girl libertarian, conservative or liberal?

Are pictures of graffiti  libertarian, conservative or liberal?

Frankly I don't give a fuck where on the political spectrum the posters of the videos are from, I find them interesting. If you don't, and feel it's all right wing shit then fucking go to another thread.

That you think it’s a legit thread to put in DT is hilarious.

You banned me for basically making the same post as another poster earlier in the thread but slanted the other direction, fucking fascist.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Johnny sack and the right wing trolls will only post in DT nowadays and avoid the cloak room like the plague. That should tell you all you need to know about what the DT has become. It’s the right wing safe space where they can post their crap unchallenged and when challenged on it, yell “cloak Room! No politics!” 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

Johnny sack and the right wing trolls will only post in DT nowadays and avoid the cloak room like the plague. That should tell you all you need to know about what the DT has become. It’s the right wing safe space where they can post their crap unchallenged and when challenged on it, yell “cloak Room! No politics!” 

It’s Surly Facebook.
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

I think the mac and lab and hayden have done pretty well moderating it. The obvious political posts, particularly the dumb ones, get caught. And there's some leeway in it if there's a conversation that involves politics but isn't obvious bait or go-nowhere bullshit. Common sense stuff.

You can't do anything about the guys who post "two weeks!" in the Covid threads or "BLM = Marxists" in the protest threads over and over. Despite them obviously coming from a partisan place, the posts themselves aren't overtly political. And as terrible as those posts are, I don't think the people running this site are looking to patrol for thoughtcrime. I think that's where you just have to use the ignore feature.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Hook 'Em 3

11 hours ago, immamac said:

Use the report button. I don't read every post on every thread and neither do the other mods. It's not tattling it's more of a pointer to something we potentially need to look at. 

i cannot emphasize this enough. yall bitch and moan, but you won't report the shit that you think is offside. take some initiative.

23 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

i cannot emphasize this enough. yall bitch and moan, but you won't report the shit that you think is offside. take some initiative.

And I cannot emphasize this enough -- people don't report because there is absolutely zero feedback to reporting.  I report people and later in the day, I still see them shit-posting like nothing happened, so what was the point of reporting them?

• Hook 'Em 1

in the specific instance, blacklab (as is his right, not bitching at blacklab) chimed in expressing frustration at the reporting of the topic/posts as political and stated something along the lines that it was for documentation, pictures, video, news (later, not news articles) about the protests. So, the feedback to report miscategorized discussion is mixed, or the interpretation of what constitutes political discussion is at least murky.

My assumption is that the software doesn't allow this, but I think a good solution would be for rep to not count in CR (and explicitly not count towards neg rep banning) and direct all explicit or overt political discussion to the appropriate forum.

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

And I cannot emphasize this enough -- people don't report because there is absolutely zero feedback to reporting.  I report people and later in the day, I still see them shit-posting like nothing happened, so what was the point of reporting them?

we can't be all the places all the time. if it gets reported, one of us will get to it. i promise i'll be more vigilant, but we don't know what we don't know.

23 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

we can't be all the places all the time. if it gets reported, one of us will get to it. i promise i'll be more vigilant, but we don't know what we don't know.

I think the point is moreso that it's completely opaque if/when/why action was taken. Both when reporting and having action taken against yourself. Some feedback mechanism for mods to drop a notification with at least a reference to the post that was reported/actioned and ideally with a word or two of why that post was bad. Currently, you'll just get a red banner across the top of the page that says "shitposting", as if that's not the whole point of this site lol

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I think the point is moreso that it's completely opaque if/when/why action was taken. Both when reporting and having action taken against yourself. Some feedback mechanism for mods to drop a notification with at least a reference to the post that was reported/actioned and ideally with a word or two of why that post was bad. Currently, you'll just get a red banner across the top of the page that says "shitposting", as if that's not the whole point of this site lol

Exactly!  I can't believe I'm saying this, but this site could take a clue from texags, where I've seen moderators clear out someone's text in an offending post and leave a note saying, "You're taking a week off for this post."

• Fuck You 2

3 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Jesus, man. Grow a pair and learn to ignore people. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Exactly!  I can't believe I'm saying this, but this site could take a clue from texags, where I've seen moderators clear out someone's text in an offending post and leave a note saying, "You're taking a week off for this post."

Don't need to use TexAgs as an example, no way in hell should we ever do that - TexAgs  is the ultimate in thought police.  They love to delete posts/threads that are too critical of aggy administration and coaches.  Want to make a thread about Jimbo Fisher's new girlfriend being seen hanging around some tennis players?  Thread deleted and posters warned.  etc.

• Hook 'Em 1

I really don't see the CR bullshit that is being whined about here.  The summer riots thread has been a pretty good discussion with a lot of different view points.  There have been several posts by people from either side. The only difference is that it hasn't gotten to the point where posters are throwing out petulant insults at each other...yet.  That includes several CR posters that have been on that thread and it hasn't gotten out of control.  I don't know why y'all are whining other than y'all tend to whine a lot.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

Oh NO! an actual discussion between two different sides on a touchy subject is occurring in DT without whiny negg'ing and threats and name-calling! don't let the cloakroom chicks know, those bitches are crazy.

Is this sarcasm?  On the last two pages of that thread alone there are 7 cloak room posters.  Was the point of this post to complain about name calling while also name calling in the very same post?