These 2 Hackberry Trees Won't Die.

Curt them short around 3 months ago & then drilled into the stump from the top + @ 45⁰ angle around 9 inches below the top.

A "stump killing" product was used however it hasn't performed as desired.

They were both poisoned around 1½ months ago & while the large canopy is great for a Western sun, I want them dead & gone before the driveway cracks.

Options, Shag²?8f747fd168aaa5028ec08679b48c50b9.jpg674f54792d1e3a650627d9b928b5d053.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Errestaurants said:

Mix Diesel and Remedy in a pump spray and spray the shit out of it.. That should do the trick. 

Remedy is the ag version of the same stuff. I'll get in big trouble if I use it somewhere else. Confront is the landscape variation.  They throw in a little fluoroxypyr (sp?) and charge twice as much as Remedy. The difference between Remedy and the homeowner brush killer is the size of the jug and the concentration of the ai. 

Edit: They might want to see your license to get Remedy. If you can score some from a buddy, I didn't see anything. And I was never here.

Edited by cactusflinthead
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

License for Remedy? We use that shit for
mesquite all the time at our place

It varies depending on the seller. I've had them ask for it at Tractor supply. The farmer license is accepted, it doesn't have to be commercial. But, if you're commercial and TDA spots it in your storage you better have records of it being used appropriately. 

Cut it down till below the dirt line, drill big holes.  Then heat up a bunch of coals in a grill chimney/weber, dump coals into your homemade stump pit and let it smolder for a day or two.

Soak the stump pit in diesel beforehand if you want to enhance the fun.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, freyguy said:

Cut it down till below the dirt line, drill big holes.  Then heat up a bunch of coals in a grill chimney/weber, dump coals into your homemade stump pit and let it smolder for a day or two.

Soak the stump pit in diesel beforehand if you want to enhance the fun.

minus the diesel, this is how i killed 3 hackberries the previous owner of our house had neglected to cut down when we first moved in.  also did it to a cedar elm but the cedar elm was a lot tougher.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

License for Remedy? We use that shit for
mesquite all the time at our place

1 hour ago, deadshank said:

I’ve never been asked for a license to purchase Remedy, Sendero, SMSA or Prowl.  

That's 3. I was obviously wrong about it being restricted use. I had to look up those others. Prowl is plain old pendimethalin. Sendero is Lontrel in landscape. Are you sure it's SMSA and not MSMA? 

56 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

That's 3. I was obviously wrong about it being restricted use. I had to look up those others. Prowl is plain old pendimethalin. Sendero is Lontrel in landscape. Are you sure it's SMSA and not MSMA? 

You’re correct.  It’s MSMA. 

I plead momentary lysdexia. 

Edited by deadshank

14 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

What did you use for stump killer? The tiny print on the bottle, active ingredient.

Usually it's marketed as 'brush and stump killer' it should say TRICLOPYR on for the ai. Dilute as recommended and spray it down. 

i am in El Paso @ the moment, won't get back to the product until Sunday night.  Will follow up on that after returning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EastTexan said:

Hackberry trees are great for shade tree machanicin'.

Provided it's not anywhere near the house, a shed, barn, fenceline... sure.  Keep it away from those spots & I won't have too much of an issue with it.

• Like 1

I know you tried it once but I’ve killed a hackberry and two stubborn ligustrums using this stuff from Lowe’s or Home Depot. Drill more holes, several, and in early morning fill them up with this concentrate.  Drill new holes the next day and repeat.  Also spray any foliage with the diluted stuff.  Willing to bet after about 3 treatments they’ll be dead.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, HiggyBaby said:

I cut one down last summer and drowned the stump with some brush killer I got from Home Depot. It hasn’t come back.
Also, I rolled a 200lb landscaping rock over it that was nearby. That may or may not have contributed to its demise.

I've seen plenty of plants, trees, etc. that simply work their way out to the side & keep on growing.

If they're that close to your house, you're gonna need to be meticulous about that root system.  

I took out a 40' one in our backyard years ago.  And I'm still chipping away at the root system (thankfully, those things have the decency to display much of their root systems above ground).  I still take a small axe to it now and again to keep it from getting any funny ideas.  It was a great shade tree that didn't need much water, but fuck---you breathe on those things wrong and they'll split and fall over.  

Holy crap, I cut down two hackberry trees behind my shed several months back and now they’re back! I left like a inch of stump and those SOB managed to survive.

So now I removed all the new growth. I also took my reciprocating saw 365 around the stump to cut off the roots. I should get some of that brush killer as well. I have small hacks all over my yard too. Little buggers are impossible to pull up.

Can you apply the brush killer with a foam brush? Some of these are close to other plants I don’t want dead.

I use Brushtox from Tractor Supply.  4 diesel to 1 brushtox plus a little dish soap in my pump sprayer.  Apply when no rain is in the forecast for a bit.  Those stumps will die.

Just saw the above comment about foam brush.  There is an adjustment on my pump sprayer head that allows me to do pretty close work -- also another reason to not do an application when rain is in the forecast.

Edited by DalTxHornFan

A buddy and I used Ferti-Lome Brush/Stump killer on a particularly nasty trumpet vine that had spread beneath a bricked pool patio. We found the source, above ground, nearer the roots on the other side of a retaining wall. Did the job. Cut thru the big "roots" and painted this shit on. It contains tryplocmyr or whatever, mentioned above.

• Like 1

Took these pics yesterday.

I imagine there will be some 6" or more green bits on both of them by Saturday.

Also, product used & some kind of label info. Nothing tells me what the active ingredients are.

I left these tall enough to have something to grab ahold of if we do decide to pull (vertically) with my friend's skid steer.

Thinking maybe a paddle bit, get as deep down the center as possible & set some burning charcoal in there?

Prob. is, these fuckers are still green & thus far, have easily brushed aside the chemical shown & Epsom salts. Maybe "real" salt instead? ...Like, Morton's?5f6eb5879c4bbe892e43de27a181427a.jpg68baadd4e78fa8bb439f46f0d308e325.jpg5f8411bbb1d784ff5078517c7836c633.jpgf6e8ba544642f761f1f8060057b7d118.jpg

DIRECTIONS FOR USE:

Drill 1-inch holes straight down from top of stump to depth of about 10 inches.  Then into the side of the stump, about 4 to 5 inches down from the top, drill a 1-inch wide hole slanting downward toward the bottom of each vertical hole. The two hole ends should meet. It is important to drill the side holes slanting downward so the liquid to be poured into the holes won’t run out.

Also when the drill holes meet, a natural ventilation is created to destroy the stump when ignited.After holes are drilled as directed, follow this procedure:Pour 4 - 6 oz of Stump Out into each hole.

1) Fill holes with water.

2) Let stand for 4 - 6 weeks.

3) After 4 - 6 weeks, fill with kerosene or fuel oil.

4) Let stand until the kerosene or fuel oil is completely absorbed into the stump.

5) Pour enough kerosene onto the stump to ignite it.

6) The stump will burn with a smoldering red glow down to the roots.

6A) As an alternative to kerosene or fuel oil you may choose to ignite the stump by burning charcoal briquettes on the top of the stump. This method also will cause the stump to smolder down to the roots and leave only ashes.

What is in bonide stump out?
The active ingredient in Bonide Stump Out is sodium metabisulfite. Some chemical stump removers use potassium nitrate, but Bonide says there is no potassium nitrate in Stump Out.

DIRECTIONS FOR USE: Drill 1-inch holes straight down from top of stump to depth of about 10 inches.  Then into the side of the stump, about 4 to 5 inches down from the top, drill a 1-inch wide hole slanting downward toward the bottom of each vertical hole. The two hole ends should meet. It is important to drill the side holes slanting downward so the liquid to be poured into the holes won’t run out.
Also when the drill holes meet, a natural ventilation is created to destroy the stump when ignited.After holes are drilled as directed, follow this procedure:Pour 4 - 6 oz of Stump Out into each hole.
1) Fill holes with water.
2) Let stand for 4 - 6 weeks.
3) After 4 - 6 weeks, fill with kerosene or fuel oil.
4) Let stand until the kerosene or fuel oil is completely absorbed into the stump.
5) Pour enough kerosene onto the stump to ignite it.
6) The stump will burn with a smoldering red glow down to the roots.
6A) As an alternative to kerosene or fuel oil you may choose to ignite the stump by burning charcoal briquettes on the top of the stump. This method also will cause the stump to smolder down to the roots and leave only ashes.

What is in bonide stump out? The active ingredient in Bonide Stump Out is sodium metabisulfite. Some chemical stump removers use potassium nitrate, but Bonide says there is no potassium nitrate in Stump Out.

Looks like that’s for DEAD stumps?

3 hours ago, William_Cannon said:

I just dumped a bunch of these on my big stumps and brushed it on the leaves of several other smaller trees that sprouted in my gardens.

Will check back in 1 to 6 weeks as directed

https://www.lowes.com/pd/BAYER-ADVANCED-32-fl-oz-Concentrated-Brush-Killer/4329986

BAYER ADVANCED Weed Killers #704640

Please do report back; looks like it's for vines & smaller whatevers vs. something with more of a full tree type plant.

Guest Lobo

Bad news for Austin DIY'ers, they're stopping brush pickup indefinitely due to Covid-19.  Supposedly if you got the mail flyer in the last few weeks, they'll honor those dates but shutting it down as of later this month.  Which sucks because it's finally pruning season for Oaks and I've got several dozen that need attention.  

Check the City of Austin website with your address and they'll indicate whether or not they'll still pick up this month or whether you're S.O.L. until probably next year.  But yeah this pruning season, August-February is gonna be in a pain in the ass.  Pruning is the easy part, cutting and trimming everything down to craft bags is the pain in the ass.  

I'm sure I'll prune a few dozen myself, drag them out to the street, to then learn the city has halted everything completely. 

Anyway, for those of us that maintain our own trees as this thread suggests, be advised. 

687073046403.jpg?size=pdhi

Please do report back; looks like it's for vines & smaller whatevers vs. something with more of a full tree type plant.

It’s advertised to kill stumps as well if you wanted to give it a shot. the instructions provide directions for applying to stumps too... However, I’ll report back in either case.
  • Like 1

Bad news for Austin DIY'ers, they're stopping brush pickup indefinitely due to Covid-19.  Supposedly if you got the mail flyer in the last few weeks, they'll honor those dates but shutting it down as of later this month.  Which sucks because it's finally pruning season for Oaks and I've got several dozen that need attention.  
Check the City of Austin website with your address and they'll indicate whether or not they'll still pick up this month or whether you're S.O.L. until probably next year.  But yeah this pruning season, August-February is gonna be in a pain in the ass.  Pruning is the easy part, cutting and trimming everything down to craft bags is the pain in the ass.  
I'm sure I'll prune a few dozen myself, drag them out to the street, to then learn the city has halted everything completely. 
Anyway, for those of us that maintain our own trees as this thread suggests, be advised. 

Well that sucks... oh wait the city NEVER schedules large brush collection in my area during oak pruning seasons.

Can't tell if sarcasm.  They do rotate them around though during blatantly not-great oak pruning seasons, but that's just because of the manpower and trucks with nothing to do.  Always been strange to me 

On 6/30/2020 at 10:29 PM, William_Cannon said:

Holy crap, I cut down two hackberry trees behind my shed several months back and now they’re back! I left like a inch of stump and those SOB managed to survive.

So now I removed all the new growth. I also took my reciprocating saw 365 around the stump to cut off the roots. I should get some of that brush killer as well. I have small hacks all over my yard too. Little buggers are impossible to pull up.

Can you apply the brush killer with a foam brush? Some of these are close to other plants I don’t want dead.

I stole an old make-up brush from my wife. The tree is actually only growing in the layer directly under the bark. You don't have to paint the whole stump. 

On 7/3/2020 at 7:39 PM, William_Cannon said:

Looks like that’s for DEAD stumps?

Exactly. That's to speed up the decomposition process. A heavy dose of salts won't make it happy, but it might not kill it.

Yeah, years ago after the 2011 drought, I contacted them to say it was insane that they were organizing brush pickups the Autumn.  so many people would take that as a reason to prune the hell out of their Oak trees.  They finally agreed and pushed my pickup to the January & July schedule that it is today.  Not ideal, but much better than October & April.  I thought I was the HOA hero for awhile, until we found out from a couple of neighboring HOA's that they just stole theirs and gave it to us.  So it's still the same risk of Oak Wilt finding its way to us.  

They should just shift everybody and their trucks to brush pickup from July-January.  And then from Februrary to June, have all those crews do bulk pickup collections instead.  

Damn thing is growing out again. Took these pics today.

Last pic is of the Hack on the L, it seems to be more stunted.

Cleaning out the garage, I found some rando chemical designed for killing weeds in a driveway, sidewalk, fence lines, etc.

Think I am gonna use a spade / paddle bit, bore down with a larger hole & see how the fucker handles this stuff.0c5428beeee791db98783c464ea38c3c.jpg62c68f6e6704b18c74a621bd8b2a906a.jpgb42be02f3eb1bbba82f3ee1461e18ebb.jpg

Did you ever address why you left several inches of the stump as opposed to cutting it off as close to the ground as possible?  Seems like cutting it as close to flush as possible and then drilling down to administer whatever poison you want would be more effective than what you have done. 

5 hours ago, orange dream said:

Did you ever address why you left several inches of the stump as opposed to cutting it off as close to the ground as possible?  Seems like cutting it as close to flush as possible and then drilling down to administer whatever poison you want would be more effective than what you have done. 

Probably so he can pull them out more easily, if he ever manages to kill them.  Although pulling them might cause more damage then just cutting them flush and leaving them.

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag