Businesses Careful About Covid

RomaVicta

I meant to start this a week ago. We've been going out a little with the restaurants and other businesses opening. We're careful as we have fit a few at-risk categories. So, list reviews of places that seem to be taking this seriously.

The District Restaurant on Slaughter at Escarpment. June 14. We love this place for weekend brunch. The staff was masked and great care was taken indoors to keep people separated and not re-use tables. Outdoors was more crowded with picnic tables and such. Sunlight and fresh air may dampen impact.

Hampton Inns. We drove to and from New England a few weeks ago. I stay in Hamptons when I travel. Lowest price of better grade hotels. Great caution was being taken during our time of travel. One place had a manager living on the premises and were alternating floors. Not many people were staying in these places. We've been back for over two weeks and no symptoms.

Please add your own experiences. Focus on good places that deserve being rewarded with business.

I'm one of the terrified of this disease. Driving 4k miles was daunting. I wore mask all the time in strange places and gloves at gas stations. Good luck to you all.

• Like 2

I have no stories because we haven't been anywhere in 3 months, but I hope District makes it.  That's our favorite place to go to brunch, and my kids LOVE it.  We'd go 2x a month or so.  But I have no desire to eat at a restaurant right now.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

The District Restaurant on Slaughter at Escarpment. June 14. We love this place for weekend brunch. The staff was masked and great care was taken indoors to keep people separated and not re-use tables. Outdoors was more crowded with picnic tables and such. Sunlight and fresh air may dampen impact.

Here's the problem with this and other restaurants who are doing their best to create a safe environment -- while they can space tables apart, even in an outdoor setting, most don't, and can't as a practical matter, limit tables to people of the same household, or even the same "quaranteam."

Case in point:  Two weeks ago I went to my first and only restaurant since COVID hit, brunch at Tillery on Caesar Chavez.  Beautiful day with a great setting on the banks of the Colorado with the Oracle campus on the other side.  Tables at least 10 feet apart, all staff wearing mask, and next to each table was a staging table where staff would set and retrieve plates so as to create some space between them and the actual seating table.  It was just me and my lady friend, with whom I've been sheltering-in-place since March, and we felt pretty safe.

But there were at least three large tables there filled with groups who were obviously not of the same household, sitting close together with no masks, and greeting each other with hugs and handshakes.  That kind of shit has been going on all over town.  I have no idea to what extent that has contributed to the recent spike, but no doubt it's played a part.   

Jester King and Live Oak were great and about as safe as you could possibly get, but unfortunately the are lumped in with all bars.  Wish somehow outdoor biergartens with ample space could be able to operate.  The reservation only system allows them to regulate capacity as well.

Not Shipley’s Donuts on Anderson. Every employee was wearing their mask below their nose. One pulled her mask down, scratched her cheek, and filled an order. The one at the register kept pulling down her mask to talk while the customer kept backing up. That was all within 30 seconds of walking in the door. I left and went to the Asian owned donut shop next to thundercloud. They know how to wear face masks there.

Half Price Books on souf Lamar. Chick at the front door kept the number of patrons inside to some number, made sure you didn’t have symptoms, mask, they taped arrows in the aisles. That was in April, though. Don’t know if they have thrown all that out the window.

My store is in Allen. Originally we had a sign the politely asked you to wear a mask. Only about half of my customers did. Changed to pretty much say don't come in without a mask. If you can't have one or can't wear one, call us and we'll come outside to help you. I've been cussed at twice for it and almost called the cops once. 

But, ever since Dallas issued an order that they must be worn, it's been close to 100%, even though we're not in Dallas County. 

• Like 1

Jester King and Live Oak were great and about as safe as you could possibly get, but unfortunately the are lumped in with all bars.  Wish somehow outdoor biergartens with ample space could be able to operate.  The reservation only system allows them to regulate capacity as well.

The breweries have been great about sanitation and easy safe pickups. Independence, 512, and Live Oak all allow for sanitary and nuisance-free outdoor pickup. Thumbs up.

11 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

The breweries have been great about sanitation and easy safe pickups. Independence, 512, and Live Oak all allow for sanitary and nuisance-free outdoor pickup. Thumbs up.

4 hours ago, PantsTent said:

Yeah, I was going to throw Jester King out there. Have driven through for beer a pizza a couple times and its a well run operation. 

Bump for Jester King doing shit right.

https://jesterkingbrewery.com/main-blog/jester-king-re-open-wednesday-july-1st

WE WILL BE REOPENING THIS WEDNESDAY, JULY 1ST AT 4PM. We will be ensuring that food sales constitute 51% of our onsite revenue. Ensuring this will effect the menu of beers available by the glass at Jester King. Aside from that, everything about our newly imagined park and picnic grounds will be the same in order to make Jester King as safe as possible to visit:

- All seating is outdoors and spaced across five areas covering 15 acres of Hill Country land

- We are open by reservation only with limited seating per session

- A hard close occurs between each session for cleaning and sanitizing

- All ordering is electronic

- All cutlery and drinkware are disposable or compostable

- Guests must wear masks when not seated at their table

- Parties are limited to six guests or less

Not Tejas (in Tomball).  As reported earlier, my son and I stopped here on our way down to Houston to look for apartments for him.  We were the only people (guests and staff) wearing masks, and they all looked at us like we were aliens.  Granted this was a few weeks ago, but still....