Oysters and their bivalve brethren - the finominal filterers

Reagan1k

8 hours ago, CHIEF said:

One of my neighborhood buddies works for a restaurant supply. I get a bushel or two every week or so from mid-October through the end of March. I buy what his usual route doesn't pick up, and have them delivered to my door. We eat oysters any way they can be eaten.

CHIEF

sounds awesome!

One of my neighborhood buddies works for a restaurant supply. I get a bushel or two every week or so from mid-October through the end of March. I buy what his usual route doesn't pick up, and have them delivered to my door. We eat oysters any way they can be eaten.
CHIEF

Wanna be friends mid-October through the end of March?

• 3 weeks later...

Some Rappahannocks and Gulf oysters. Seafood girl at Whole Foods gave me 6 of another variety on the house as well but I didn't catch the tag.  Did some raw, and baked the rest with chorizo butter or a compounded butter topped with parm. 

After we cleared the appetizers, seared up some scallops and served with a radhikia (cooked dandelion salad).

98348-B1-F-18-E3-48-A8-A575-4157-FE5-CCE

19-DF1-DEB-108-E-44-B5-B8-F2-C76-E925-B6

BEC5-E0-DD-D9-E5-4-FD1-A0-FC-E8-FA065662 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Some Rappahannocks and Gulf oysters. Seafood girl at Whole Foods gave me 6 of another variety on the house as well but I didn't catch the tag.  Did some raw, and baked the rest with chorizo butter or a compounded butter topped with parm. 

After we cleared the appetizers, seared up some scallops and served with a radhikia (cooked dandelion salad).

98348-B1-F-18-E3-48-A8-A575-4157-FE5-CCE

19-DF1-DEB-108-E-44-B5-B8-F2-C76-E925-B6

BEC5-E0-DD-D9-E5-4-FD1-A0-FC-E8-FA065662 

Ohhhhhh maaaaaaama......

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...
51 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Got a chipped tooth from what I believe to be a pearl in a fried seafood basket tonight.  That was a first for me.

A75EB01D-ECF3-426E-B196-4C35A19E9FCF.thumb.jpeg.a44a91458904e72283fd6f14c3624ed3.jpeg

Notwithstanding this one unfortunate experience, fried seafood baskets are still worth the risk, especially considering all of the times before that nothing bad happened.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Notwithstanding this one unfortunate experience, fried seafood baskets are still worth the risk, especially considering all of the times before that nothing bad happened.

Did I state that I would no longer be eating fried seafood baskets anywhere in my post?  I did not.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, otisdog said:

So as a recent new resident of Washington state, I was surprised to learn that this state is the only state in the nation where you own the tidewaters...aka where the oysters live. We currently are growing about 1,000 of them, harvestable next year.

Growing oysters in the backyard is a pretty nice humblebrag.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 10/23/2021 at 7:30 PM, otisdog said:

So as a recent new resident of Washington state, I was surprised to learn that this state is the only state in the nation where you own the tidewaters...aka where the oysters live. We currently are growing about 1,000 of them, harvestable next year.

Not quite.   Tideland ownership in Washington is quite complicated.    Most properties own to mean low tide.  Other properties go all the way out to extreme low tide.  And others follow the original GLO survey lines.

Oyster beds below extreme low tide may be private or state, and in most instances are not owned by any of the adjacent upland property owners.

If you are interested in aquatic land ownership in Washington, this from DNR is a must read:  https://www.dnr.wa.gov/publications/eng_plso_aquatic_land_boundaries.pdf

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, otisdog said:

Not quite what? We're growing oysters on our tidelands.

Hey...how are those Sonics doing?

What you said about tideland ownership in Washington is not quite true.

Are you sure you own those tidelands?  And if you do, do you know where to?  Are you to mean low tide or extreme low tide?  Do you own a surveyed oyster tract?   Tideland ownership in Washington is complicated, which is why most title companies won’t touch them.

• 1 year later...

Kicking this thread back up.

The bride and I did an after church Easter feast at the newish north Deckhand location.  Much bigger than previous location and probably 4X the televisions for watching sports and/or the Masters today.  It did not disappoint. 

We opened with a Salt and Pepper calamari.  I then did oysters both ways -- half shell and roasted.  Finished out with a fried oyster plate.  She did a crawfish etouffee that she seemed happy with.

Solid place.

P.S. Their green hot sauce in the squeeze bottles is finominal!

Edited by DalTxHornFan

A longtime friend of mine got a license / clearance / concession to start his oyster farm in one of the bays around Corpus Christi.  It took an incredible amount of doing with all manner of government agencies.  

Now that he’s over that hump he starts the actual farming bit.   I look forward to his progress and having some of his product. 

1 hour ago, deadshank said:

A longtime friend of mine got a license / clearance / concession to start his oyster farm in one of the bays around Corpus Christi.  It took an incredible amount of doing with all manner of government agencies.  

Now that he’s over that hump he starts the actual farming bit.   I look forward to his progress and having some of his product. 

So you get a few oysters, throw them in the water, let them fuck, and then after a while you have a lot of oysters?  Do you pay extra for a few stud oysters with good bloodlines?  

So you get a few oysters, throw them in the water, let them fuck, and then after a while you have a lot of oysters?  Do you pay extra for a few stud oysters with good bloodlines?  

Think further….you have to harvest oyster semen and do it yourself.

Also, Whole Foods has a 12 for $12 special every Friday. This past Friday, I got 6 blue points and 6 wellfleets, tossed em in the fridge, and yesterday afternoon I sat on my back patio and shucked em for an afternoon snack. They were damned fine. Wellfleets were a bit brinier, but a couple of the blue points packed a nice salty punch. I love blue points.

Friend of mine who grew up in the Hamptons (townie, not a VC douche) did well for himself and purchased a place back there a few years back.  Had the good fortune to get to stay with him last summer.  Apparently there is a local program to help clean up Shinnecock Bay where you can raise oysters (they supply the spat) in traps.  We spent one day harvesting several dozen and shucking them on his back porch overlooking Peconic Bay.  Best oysters I've ever tasted.

/csb

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Hook 'Em 1

Heading to New Orleans in two weeks. Haven't been in over a year but I guess Norman is still around at Acme. Fewer things better than getting a bar seat near / next to the front window and having him there to serve and story tell.  Watching the Masters this weekend reminded me of his stories working the dinner a couple of times. Norman always has plenty to talk about and will usually work the (really) big ones into your dozen on the half shell. 

46 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Heading to New Orleans in two weeks. Haven't been in over a year but I guess Norman is still around at Acme. Fewer things better than getting a bar seat near / next to the front window and having him there to serve and story tell.  Watching the Masters this weekend reminded me of his stories working the dinner a couple of times. Norman always has plenty to talk about and will usually work the (really) big ones into your dozen on the half shell. 

Love me some Acme.  But my family has been a Felix's family for 70 years.  And yeah, sit at the bar.  Chat up your shucker.  Tip cash up front, and eat what he serves you.  Those days are good days.

• Hook 'Em 2

I am gonna x post this to the bivalve thread. I’m most of a bottle of wine and a kitchen cocktail in and don’t care about the length of this post, because this meal fucks.

Yesterday I grilled shrimp and with my heads and shells I made shrimp stock. You can add all sorts of aromatics, but I just boiled the heads and shells and added a carrot, some salt, a few stalks of parsley. That’s all prep for today, which is mussels day.

Soften up a shallot in some olive oil in a big pot. Then add a bunch of garlic. I used, I don’t know— ten or 11 cloves? The point is that you’re never gonna cook this and say “that was too much garlic.” Measure garlic with your heart.

When all that’s soft but not brown, add like a tablespoon of tomato paste and cook that down a bit. Don’t burn the garlic. Then add a big splash of shrimp stock— make sure it’s the darker stuff at the bottom. And then equal parts white wine. And then like a pound, pound and a half of mussels and a halved lemon. Let that shit cook and steam over medium or medium-low. Add a generous handful of fresh parsley at the end. 

And you should be making spaghetti. And the spaghetti needs to be cooked in about half shrimp stock and half salted water.  And then when it’s done, you put the spaghetti in a bowl, top with a ton of mussels, and a ladle of that garlicky wine cooking liquid. 

And then also, you need like two baguettes for a family. The mussels are great but the main event is mopping up that garlic-wine-shrimp broth liquid with a baguette. Italians don’t mix bread and pasta but you’re not in Italy and this is good as fuck, who cares what they say.

You can make all this without the shrimp stock but you’re not really getting the full meal that fucks if you do. 

image.thumb.jpeg.265752926bd44b076481632af548f787.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.414500060451be414a0c61d7405d30e2.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Drool 2

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Love me some Acme.  But my family has been a Felix's family for 70 years.  And yeah, sit at the bar.  Chat up your shucker.  Tip cash up front, and eat what he serves you.  Those days are good days.

ive always preferred felix's myself.

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I am gonna x post this to the bivalve thread. I’m most of a bottle of wine and a kitchen cocktail in and don’t care about the length of this post, because this meal fucks.

Yesterday I grilled shrimp and with my heads and shells I made shrimp stock. You can add all sorts of aromatics, but I just boiled the heads and shells and added a carrot, some salt, a few stalks of parsley. That’s all prep for today, which is mussels day.

Soften up a shallot in some olive oil in a big pot. Then add a bunch of garlic. I used, I don’t know— ten or 11 cloves? The point is that you’re never gonna cook this and say “that was too much garlic.” Measure garlic with your heart.

When all that’s soft but not brown, add like a tablespoon of tomato paste and cook that down a bit. Don’t burn the garlic. Then add a big splash of shrimp stock— make sure it’s the darker stuff at the bottom. And then equal parts white wine. And then like a pound, pound and a half of mussels and a halved lemon. Let that shit cook and steam over medium or medium-low. Add a generous handful of fresh parsley at the end. 

And you should be making spaghetti. And the spaghetti needs to be cooked in about half shrimp stock and half salted water.  And then when it’s done, you put the spaghetti in a bowl, top with a ton of mussels, and a ladle of that garlicky wine cooking liquid. 

And then also, you need like two baguettes for a family. The mussels are great but the main event is mopping up that garlic-wine-shrimp broth liquid with a baguette. Italians don’t mix bread and pasta but you’re not in Italy and this is good as fuck, who cares what they say.

You can make all this without the shrimp stock but you’re not really getting the full meal that fucks if you do. 

image.thumb.jpeg.265752926bd44b076481632af548f787.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.414500060451be414a0c61d7405d30e2.jpeg

thats one way to go, and sounds delicious, but i prefer a little cream in my mussels, especially when dipping bread in the leftover broth.

8 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

No disagreement on Felix's. Oysters are better me thinks. Acme is still really good and the known entertainment value from Norman is the kicker on the overall experience, for me at least. Can't lose with either.

Definitely agree on the up-front tip angle.

11 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

ive always preferred felix's myself.

thats one way to go, and sounds delicious, but i prefer a little cream in my mussels, especially when dipping bread in the leftover broth.

Can’t go wrong with a bit of cream, I can have them that way, too. Lemongrass, chili, coconut milk is a nice change-up, too.  Although I usually crave the garlic-wine version. 

15 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Can’t go wrong with a bit of cream, I can have them that way, too. Lemongrass, chili, coconut milk is a nice change-up, too.  Although I usually crave the garlic-wine version. 

One of my better proud papa days was when my 4 yr old daughter had watched an episode of Emeril's show, and came to me and said "daddy, this weekend, can we make the mussels in garlic wine sauce like Emeril made?"  We looked up the recipe, talked through the ingredients, and Saturday morning went to HEB to get all the goodies. Made a big pot of them with crusty bread, and she was in heaven.

Of course, now both kids have expensive fucking taste, so I pay for that when they visit.

• Hook 'Em 1