Texas Runoff Election - starts 6/29

StassneyHorn

258k people have voted in the Dem runoff, for a staggering 1.58% of registered voters in Texas. No breakdowns, it’s past noon so I’m getting drunk.

Also, Joaquin Castro endorsed Royce West today. Not much of a surprise, but he is chair of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus which should be good for something if not headlines on social media or 30 second spots in San Antonio news. Previously supported the progressive Cristina Tzintzun Ramirez.

• Like 1

I don't get the Hegar hype. She performed poorly in the in-person debate a few weeks ago. Lots of canned answers, not very like-able, weak on racial-related questions, Republican-lite answer on student loan forgiveness....blah.

Edited by Bruh Man

44 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

I don't get the Hegar hype. She performed poorly in the in-person debate a few weeks ago. Lots of canned answers, not very like-able, weak on racial-related questions, Republican-lite answer on student loan forgiveness....blah.

Here’s the debate from Monday. West triggered her at the 23 minute mark if you like awkwardness

1 hour ago, Bruh Man said:

I liked Hegar from the last time around.  Wanted to give her another shot.  It honestly doesn't matter.

On 7/2/2020 at 1:24 PM, Bruh Man said:

She has some cool ads and has shown way better fundraising ability than anyone else in the campaign. The latter is a major plus given how expensive it will be to make the election close enough that the GOP has to throw money at Cornyn. She is the obvious choice for someone wanting to get more women elected, which has become a priority for a fair number of women out there, particularly in the suburbs.

You can see Hegar and West are actually pretty closely aligned on issues here: https://apps.texastribune.org/features/2020/us-senate-primary-voter-guide/

The one significant difference there is the decriminalization of illegal border crossings, which Hegar indicated she does not support and West does. At face value, I don't see why she would oppose that. She gave a non answer that tried to hint at a larger immigration policy but she does not seem to have one out there. I was disappointed with her answer there and it's an important issue for Texas, so it does make me consider West. 

I voted for CTR in the primary and I am pretty meh on both of them to be honest. I am still not sure who I am going to vote for in the runoff. 

For the first time there was a paper backup system going at my polling place yesterday in Fort Bend County. A paper receipt was printed by the machine, which I handed in to the poll worker after I left the booth.  

How widespread is this within Texas? Will the general election be run this way or was this a runoff one-off?

4 minutes ago, berlinerbaer said:

For the first time there was a paper backup system going at my polling place yesterday in Fort Bend County. A paper receipt was printed by the machine, which I handed in to the poll worker after I left the booth.  

How widespread is this within Texas? Will the general election be run this way or was this a runoff one-off?

Travis county has those machines too, since last year. I don’t know how widespread it is but it’s here to stay.

44 minutes ago, berlinerbaer said:

Yea Travis County prints out the receipt for you to double check, then you insert it like a dollar bill into a machine

Royce West is having a virtual fundraiser led by Jim Clyburn Wednesday and was endorsed by Sheila Jackson Lee.

Also in TX-31, Dr. Christine Mann’s political committee received 28k in PPP loans meant for small business. Loan was payed back after a month. Donna Imam looking better after this.

https://www.kxan.com/news/texas-politics/texas-congressional-campaign-received-28000-loan-designed-for-small-businesses-struggling-during-the-pandemic/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

On 7/3/2020 at 11:02 PM, StassneyHorn said:

Yea Travis County prints out the receipt for you to double check, then you insert it like a dollar bill into a machine

Small clarification that may be obvious ... that paper thing is not a receipt, it is your ballot.

At least in Travis County, all the voting booth is doing now is presenting your choices on a touchscreen and transferring your choices to paper.  Once you get the ballot back with the choices on it, you must put it in the machine at the exit for your vote to be scanned and counted.

I voted at the Austin Rec Center near House Park and it was really well run.  Everyone got a finger condom to put on before you signed in and a popsicle stick to use on the touchscreen.  Looks like Travis County is going for big gyms as voting places rather than small rooms and there were plenty of machines to use to mark your ballot.  The average age of the poll worker was down about 50 years.  There was no wait and no line to vote.

Edited by Texas Jeff

No voting tomorrow. Election Day is Tuesday the 14th.

Looked at Collin and Denton County, our 6th and 7th largest counties, and Dems have “outvoted” Repubs 38,578 to 18,526.

El Paso and Fort Bend Dems our 8th and 9th largest at 46,777. Repubs at 4,799

Obviously there are different motivations and different primary reasons in the runoff so it’s not a direct comparison, but wow that’s a difference. Thought the Wall v Nehls R fight in Ft Bend would have had higher numbers. Tell me if I’m looking at it wrong.

https://earlyvoting.texas-election.com/Elections/getEVDetails.do

Edited by StassneyHorn

On 7/10/2020 at 1:48 PM, Longhorn94 said:

Me and the family all voted for MJ. Hoping she pulls it out and gives Cornyn a run for his money.

The couple polls I've seen do indicate she's ahead in the runoff but there have consistently been 30+ percent undecided. Many probably just won't end up voting. Both candidates poll pretty poorly against Cornyn, unfortunately. Essentially no difference between Cornyn vs Hegar and Cornyn vs West.

25 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Looked at Collin and Denton County, our 6th and 7th largest counties, and Dems have “outvoted” Repubs 38,578 to 18,526.

Obviously there are different motivations and different primary reasons in the runoff so it’s not a direct comparison, but wow that’s a difference. Thought the Wall v Nehls R fight in Ft Bend would have had higher numbers. Tell me if I’m looking at it wrong.

Extrapolating runoff turnout is a huge stretch, especially between different areas. All things being equal, regular partisan primary turnout can be somewhat predictive, but things are rarely equal.

2 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

These numbers don’t mean anything. You’d be able to see more useful information from the primaries honestly. Tons of people skip the runoffs no matter what. Myself included.

Edited by Voldemort86

I think its important for Dem voters to show nat’l groups they are more engaged in the state, and it will bring more attention and money for fundraising w/o having Beto on the ballot.  Lot of money has stayed on the sidelines so far tho.

Plus it’s just objectively funny that  Kathaleen Wall spent 14 million dollars across back to back primaries in Ft Bend to show 4K votes total is laugh out loud hilarious.

Edited by StassneyHorn
Spells her name like a stripper

5 hours ago, Pancho said:

Why is corny running attack ads against Royce west? Does he know something we don’t?

and his attack ad on West is giving jathakeen wall a run for her money. Jesus. 

Because Cornyn is one of those arrogant jackasses who isn’t satisfied with winning. The guy wants 5 million + votes and a huge win by nearly 15 points to stroke his pathetic ego. It will also give the “never blue” republicans ammunition that the state is still “ plenty red”.

ive said it several times already that there is no doubt cornyn will win. He just wants to face West because he’s an easier opponent and he will win by a bigger margin.

lets hope Hager makes it.

Edited by Voldemort86

Election Day is today. Go out if you haven’t already and participate.

Have my eyes on the Senate runoff of course, TX-10,TX-13, TX-22, TX-23 and TX-24.and TX-31. We’ll see if Pete Sessions can successfully carpetbag, and if Robert Morrow can continue to piss of Mackowiak in the SBOE. Can progressive Sara Stapleton Barrera Knick out Eddie Lucio Jr is a state senate race to watch as well.

If there are lines and you are worried, pull up to the front and wave an election official down and say you want to vote curbside cause you have a dry cough or something. Don’t scare them and say you have a fever.

Curbside Voting

If a voter is physically unable to enter the polling place, he or she may ask that an election officer bring a ballot to the entrance of the polling place or to a car at parked at the curbside. After the voter marks the ballot, they will give it to the election officer, who will put it in the ballot box. Or, at the voter’s request, a companion may hand the voter a ballot and deposit it for him or her.

• Like 2

+1 on robocalls in past two weeks, but not sure from which candidates, as I don’t answer if I don’t know who it is.  I google the number and it tells me.

Just voted.  Nobody in line.  Only 2 races on the ballot. 

It will always be worth it, IMHO; but today was pushing it.  Lol.

Did everyone get to vote on the new touchscreen voting machines using a q-tip?

You get the paper, feed it in, then your selections are printed on it, and you deposit it in the scanner bin?

Finally Texas has printed evidence of a vote that can be re-counted.

I was impressed as I've only ever voted on the little click-wheel voting tablet for my entire adult life.

35 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

Funny how nothing ever came out about Pete Sessions' Ukraine fiasco and the fact that he is "Congressman 1" in a gotdamn federal indictment

Remind me the specifics of this, as it's a bit hard to remember all of the unfuckingbelievable scandals this admin and party has been involved in over the past 3.5 years.

He received campaign cash in exchange for helping with Lev Parnas & co's shenanigans with Rudy to oust Marie Yovanovich, and generally ride the Russian corruption and grifting train.

https://www.texastribune.org/2019/10/10/pete-sessions-congressman-1-guliani-associates-indictment/

Edited by ChuckNorrisActionJeans
door
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

He received campaign cash in exchange for helping with Lev Parnas & co's shenanigans with Rudy to oust Marie Yovanovich, and generally ride the Russian corruption and grifting train.

https://www.texastribune.org/2019/10/10/pete-sessions-congressman-1-guliani-associates-indictment/

yeah but that was like 10 years ago... right?

People forget things that far in the past.

City Council managed to fit in a 4% tax hike today while the rest of y'all were voting.  Seems appropriate since Austin is gonna fare so well with one cash-rich public event after another being cancelled.  I can't fucking believe these people sometime.s  

I think its important for Dem voters to show nat’l groups they are more engaged in the state, and it will bring more attention and money for fundraising w/o having Beto on the ballot.  Lot of money has stayed on the sidelines so far tho.

Plus it’s just objectively funny that  Kathaleen Wall spent 14 million dollars across back to back primaries in Ft Bend to show 4K votes total is laugh out loud hilarious.

Point of clarification: she ran in TX-2 last time around. Patchy barely edged her for the runoff.

Texas Tribune, Patrick Svitek, and Scott Braddock will all be good twitter follows for tonight.

tracker: https://apps.texastribune.org/features/2020/texas-runoff-election-results/?utm_campaign=trib-social&utm_content=3984593498&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

r/voteDEM has a great live thread also. Alabama and Maine included.  https://www.reddit.com/live/15awtpyx5kuc8/

Edited by StassneyHorn