Radioactivity hike seen in northern Europe; source unknownski

RPM

2 hours ago, Bigbend1812 said:

It’s 2020.  Might as well add a nuclear reactor meltdown to the chat. 

Yep I've got the whole international covid issue, earthquakes in Mexico, Saharan death dust marching over the US, rioting in cities, familial alcoholism, a bat shit crazy brother and sister in law it seems, and my dad has now been diagnosed with probably inoperable pancreatic cancer which has seemed to trigger the brother and SIL for some bizarre reason.

Bring on the radiation fallout, and radiation, zombie mutants !!!!!!

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yep I've got the whole international covid issue, earthquakes in Mexico, Saharan death dust marching over the US, rioting in cities, familial alcoholism, a bat shit crazy brother and sister in law it seems, and my dad has now been diagnosed with probably inoperable pancreatic cancer which has seemed to trigger the brother and SIL for some bizarre reason.

Bring on the radiation fallout, and subsequent radiation, zombie mutants !!!!!!

Sorry about your dad, hopefully it isn’t that. Fuck cancer 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Thanks,unfortunately  Not looking good right now. With any of it.

Yeah I agree, just bring it all on.  Since Covid I’ve lost my brother and Mother in Law.  No school, shut in, etc....etc.    It’s been a fu*ked up 3 months to say the least.    Prayers for your pops.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

Yeah I agree, just bring it all on.  Since Covid I’ve lost my brother and Mother in Law.  No school, shut in, etc....etc.    It’s been a fu*ked up 3 months to say the least.    Prayers for your pops.

I remember thinking 2008 was about as bad as it could get. Both out of work and the horizon looked really bad.  

Those were the good old days compared to this year.

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Bring on the radiation fallout, and subsequent radiation, zombie mutants !!!!!!

Shit.  Dad part sucks.  Sorry to hear that, I've been there (different cancer).

• Like 1

On 6/27/2020 at 3:25 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Shit.  Dad part sucks.  Sorry to hear that, I've been there (different cancer).

Yep, thanks man.  Because the parents were like 19 when I was born I grew up with all my great grand parents, and grandparents, which was very cool. I've had to watch them all die, and now my dad gets this shit, one of the worst it seems because it doesn't present till it's in the late stages usually.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, RPM said:

HELSINKI (AP) — Nordic authorities say they detected slightly increased levels of radioactivity in northern Europe this month that Dutch officials said may be from a source in western Russia and may “indicate damage to a fuel element in a nuclear power plant.”

But Russian news agency TASS, citing a spokesman with the state nuclear power operator Rosenergoatom., reported that the two nuclear power plans in northwestern Russia haven’t reported any problems.

The Leningrad plant near St. Petersburg and the Kola plant near the northern city of Murmansk, “operate normally, with radiation levels being within the norm,” Tass said.

The Finnish, Norwegian and Swedish radiation and nuclear safety watchdogs said this week they’ve spotted small amounts of radioactive isotopes harmless to humans and the environment in parts of Finland, southern Scandinavia and the Arctic.

The Swedish Radiation Safety Authority said Tuesday that “it is not possible now to confirm what could be the source of the increased levels” of radioactivity or from where a cloud, or clouds, containing radioactive isotopes that has allegedly been blowing over the skies of northern Europe originated. Its Finnish and Norwegian counterparts also haven’t speculated about a potential source.

But the National Institute for Public Health and the Environment in the Netherlands said Friday it analyzed the Nordic data and “these calculations show that the radionuclides (radioactive isotopes) come from the direction of Western Russia.”

“The radionuclides are artificial, that is to say they are man-made. The composition of the nuclides may indicate damage to a fuel element in a nuclear power plant,” the Dutch agency said, adding that ”a specific source location cannot be identified due to the limited number of measurements.”

Executive Secretary Lassina Zerbo of the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organization tweeted on Friday that the organization’s radiation-monitoring sensors in Sweden detected a slight increase of several harmless isotopes in northwestern European airspace.

The unnamed Rosatomenergo spokesman told TASS on Saturday that radiation levels at the Leningrad and Kola power stations and their surrounding areas “have remained unchanged in June, and no changes are also observed at present.”

“Both stations are working in normal regime. There have been no complaints about the equipment’s work,” Tass quoted him as saying. “No incidents related to release of radionuclide outside containment structures have been reported.”

chernobyl-emily-watson-02-600x403.jpg

Would. 

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

And fitlump being elected to the Austin City Council.  That's how this all ends.

December 31, 2020 - the new Captain Trips virus tears through the country, killing  the entire government nationally and in every state. The last surviving elected official who will lead us into 2021? Councilwoman-elect Fitlump, now President. 

Edited by Js1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Sorry man. I know it does not mean shit, but we be here. 

Yep Surly is a great place to unload, and you know you can get a shoulder to lean on, and a good kick in the ass all at the same time. I know everybody has shit in their lives this year. The folks who've lost loved ones to Covid, and not even been able to see them during their isolation, and often death has been a horrible reality.

Gonna make as many plans for the next couple months with my dad as possible.

I appreciate the thoughts of the folks on the board.

And we all know it was the Russians with this shit.  Hugo gets it right......... this time.....

• Like 4

Wasn't there a similar release a year ago in that general area? I thought it led to speculation about a failed top secret weapons test, more specifically a nuclear powered cruise missle.

https://thediplomat.com/2019/02/russia-conducts-test-of-nuclear-powered-cruise-missile/

In a speech unveiling a suite of new missile systems before the Russian Federal Assembly in March 2018, Russian President Vladimir Putin noted that “In late 2017, Russia successfully launched its latest nuclear-powered missile at the Central training ground.”

He continued that “during its flight, the nuclear-powered engine reached its design capacity and provided the necessary propulsion.” He additionally claimed that the missile’s range was “unlimited” and that it could “maneuver for as long as necessary.”

No country has to date deployed a cruise missile using an on-board nuclear reactor, largely given the engineering challenges and safety concerns involved. In the late-1950s, the United States began development on prototype nuclear-powered ramjet engines as part of Project Pluto, but none of those missiles were ever deployed.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SuperSport said:

You forgot the murder hornets.

My brother killed one on his back porch in Georgetown last week. Hit it 3 times with wasp/hornet foam spray which just slowed it down enough to stomp on it with his shoe. That still didn’t kill it, so he stomped its head again. Said the stinger is an inch long, the body & head about 2 inches with a 2 inch wingspan. Even after the stomping, he said the body does not look smashed.

He is saving the carcass and will report it to an aggy site that supposedly wants to know about such odd things.

Being a confirmed Luddite, I don’t know if he’ll be able to take a pic with his flip phone and have his wife send it to me.

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

My brother killed one on his back porch in Georgetown last week. Hit it 3 times with wasp/hornet foam spray which just slowed it down enough to stomp on it with his shoe. That still didn’t kill it, so he stomped its head again. Said the stinger is an inch long, the body & head about 2 inches with a 2 inch wingspan. Even after the stomping, he said the body does not look smashed.

He is saving the carcass and will report it to an aggy site that supposedly wants to know about such odd things.

Being a confirmed Luddite, I don’t know if he’ll be able to take a pic with his flip phone and have his wife send it to me.

you sure it wasn't a cicada killer? 

• Like 1