MS House votes to change flag

smwhorn

36 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

Well, Alabama and even South Carolina came across that line

Alabama came halfway across.  Their flag still resembles the confederate battle flag. Georgia is basically the stars and bars. 

Edited by EuroHorn

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Never understood why you’d want to associate yourself with a bunch of losers who lost a war

It’s a family identity by now.  Their great grandpappy was a loser who lost the war and now it’s who they are

1 hour ago, EuroHorn said:

Georgia is the stars and bars with that gold Emblem added.

image.thumb.png.d32240af39166442b4ef6891d9f3e977.png

It's dumb and should change but at least this is the actual flag of the country they claim to view as their heritage. The flag was later changed to resemble the battle flag that was created because the original Stars and Bars caused confusion on the battlefield. Everyone who flies a flag in the United States of America that was literally invented to be a battle flag flown against the United States of America while killing American soldiers has always been an idiot. The fact that the United States military is just now banning that flag is absurd.

It's the same thing as flying this:

100px-Naval_ensign_of_the_Empire_of_Japa

Runners up in sedition.  Runners up in war.  Runners up in history.  Runners up in life.  

When your heritage is a  "participant" banner, best let go and move on.  

Since the end of the Civil War, the Union Government has managed to reboot the economies of Spain, Mexico, Germany, Turkey, Italy, Japan, China, South Korea, Panama, and a half dozen Middle Eastern regimes.  But not nobody...nobody can help create anything of note in Mississippi.  A people should know when they've been conquered.  

And when the Allies looked to Canada to seize Juno Beach for Operation Overlord on that fateful day in June 1944, Canada sent the heavy pipe-hitting mutherfuckas from 3rd ID to capture a beachhead 6 miles long and just as fortified and hellish as the stretches taken by Britain and the U.S.  And they succeeded with less than 1000 casualties.  

It's important to note than the 3rd CID was comprised of young men almost exclusively from the 4 western provinces.  Sons of farmers, fishermen, and laborers.  When it came time to liberate France, curious to note that neither the French nor French-Canadians could be bothered to show up.  I kid, I kid.  I'm sure they provided sandwiches or something after the 3rd got their armor on the beach.  

Edited by Lobo

Yet Canada claims its French heritage...
Don't be an ass.
And when the Allies looked to Canada to seize Juno Beach for Operation Overlord on that fateful day in June 1944, Canada sent the heavy pipe-hitting mutherfuckas from 3rd ID to capture a beachhead 6 miles long and just as fortified and hellish as the stretches taken by Britain and the U.S.  And they succeeded with less than 1000 casualties.  
It's important to note than the 3rd CID was comprised of young men almost exclusively from the 4 western provinces.  Sons of farmers, fishermen, and laborers.  When it came time to liberate France, curious to note that neither the French nor French-Canadians could be bothered to show up.  I kid, I kid.  I'm sure they provided sandwiches or something after the 3rd got their armor on the beach.  
This right here. Thank you, nation of Canada, for being out friend. I know a few western Canadians, and they're as rugged and badass as anyone in the US.

1 minute ago, Parliament said:

Don't be an ass.This right here. Thank you, nation of Canada, for being out friend. I know a few western Canadians, and they're as rugged and badass as anyone in the US.

Just laugh a little this morning, my friend.    and your post even supports my joke even more as the Westerners have pretty much shrugged off the French influence.

• Like 1

Runners up in sedition.  Runners up in war.  Runners up in history.  Runners up in life.  
When your heritage is a  "participant" banner, best let go and move on.  
Since the end of the Civil War, the Union Government has managed to reboot the economies of Spain, Mexico, Germany, Turkey, Italy, Japan, China, South Korea, Panama, and a half dozen Middle Eastern regimes.  But not nobody...nobody can help create anything of note in Mississippi.  A people should know when they've been conquered.  

S-E-C!! S-E-C!!!

I was born in Mississippi. Actually headed there this week for a funeral. 

Flying into NOLA. Looking forward to some good grub while I’m there.

Lots of uneducated folks running around there...thingS do need to change...and let’s make more education a part of that. 

16 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

It's dumb and should change but at least this is the actual flag of the country they claim to view as their heritage. The flag was later changed to resemble the battle flag that was created because the original Stars and Bars caused confusion on the battlefield. Everyone who flies a flag in the United States of America that was literally invented to be a battle flag flown against the United States of America while killing American soldiers has always been an idiot. The fact that the United States military is just now banning that flag is absurd.

[pre rant acknowledgement: The official flag of MS should be changed]

Ok, but the Japanese flag analogy is off base unless you were saying it’s like current Japanese citizens flying their fallen empire’s flag, or a Russian flying a USSR flag. It was their states and their ancestors who fought under the Confederate banners, and while you or others may disagree, some of them do still view it as a states rights thing more than a racist pro-slavery thing (good symbols can be corrupted and considered inappropriate, can a symbol of “racism” be used alternatively by future generations?).

Re: “why would you losers want to fly a losing flag?” If the federal government abolished the states and became the United State of America, would you mock defeated and conquered Texans for flying a Texas flag a hundred years from now? If Canada conquered and annexed the USA (lol jk), would you mock people for still flying US flags that they felt made a statement of rebellion or opposition against their conquerers?

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

You missed the point, possibly intentionally. 

It is the exact same thing as a Japanese immigrant flying that flag on a United States military base. 

No it isn't.

It would be like flying the Japanese flag on our base in Okinawa.   It is their land, but they were defeated.   It's still understandable.

FTR- when I see the stars & bars, it's like an instant view into the soul of the bearer, "i hate n_ggers."   Your scenario is still false.

• Like 1

You missed the point, possibly intentionally. 
It is the exact same thing as a Japanese immigrant flying that flag on a United States military base. 
Actually it's worse, because the Japanese immigrant probably isn't telling people to leave America if they don't like it.

39 minutes ago, Iceman said:

No it isn't.

It would be like flying the Japanese flag on our base in Okinawa.   It is their land, but they were defeated.   It's still understandable.

FTR- when I see the stars & bars, it's like an instant view into the soul of the bearer, "i hate n_ggers."   Your scenario is still false.

Jesus the density around here. 

Y'all can try and twist it however you want, it is flying the flag of a war enemy under the guise of heritage. And it was never "their land", they were not a conquered nation. They were an attempted rebellion that was quashed. Stop glorifying their terrible failure. 

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Japan's flag is awesome though.

45 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Jesus the density around here. 

Y'all can try and twist it however you want, it is flying the flag of a war enemy under the guise of heritage. And it was never "their land", they were not a conquered nation. They were an attempted rebellion that was quashed. Stop glorifying their terrible failure. 

I did none of that.  Your reasoning is still flawed.  Then because we don't agree 100% on your flag analogy, I somehow support the confederacy.    LOLz.  You people only know one fucking way to discuss things.   Cancel everything else.

No sir.  It's just a different perspective.

Moving on.

Edited by Iceman

You know what’s too bad is that if can can somehow separate what it looks like from what it represents, the Stars and Bars is a pretty cool-looking flag. Agree with Iceman’s assessment above about what immediately pops into my head anytime I see someone displaying it...

8 hours ago, Lobo said:

not discrediting what the men of Canada did, but your post makes it sound like they were just hard pipe hitting muthafuckas.... and not the fact that 21 of the 29 DD Day tanks assigned to Juno made it to the beach and were able to shield the solidiers exactly as intended, and they were able to knock out the pillboxes much faster as a result.  Omaha only had 2 of the DD tanks make it to the beach. 

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

The Rising Sun is a cultural thing that goes back 1,500 years.  The current incarnation of the Rising Sun flag is from the 1870s, but in various similar forms it goes back like a thousand years.

Confederate shit on the other hand, was for just a few years.

I don't like the time argument. 

4 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

You know what’s too bad is that if can can somehow separate what it looks like from what it represents, the Stars and Bars is a pretty cool-looking flag. Agree with Iceman’s assessment above about what immediately pops into my head anytime I see someone displaying it...

I see that when I see the battle flag, not the stars and bars.

Edited by workswithseed

13 hours ago, MadBurgerMaker said:

floriduh used the texas flag for a short while.  lulz

23 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I bet less than 10% of Americans could even identify the stars and bars

does one still fly at DKR?

Edited by elfenix

My parents moved to Hernando, MS back in 2003ish. Hernando is right on the MS/TN border by Memphis. My mom was shocked at how openly racist everyone was. Lots of white folk letting the N word fly in public, calling them "boy" and "gal" at places of business. Keep in mind, my parents moved from Vidor into this and it was 1000% times worse than anything ever heard back in east Texas.

18 minutes ago, Hmbre97 said:

My parents moved to Hernando, MS back in 2003ish. Hernando is right on the MS/TN border by Memphis. My mom was shocked at how openly racist everyone was. Lots of white folk letting the N word fly in public, calling them "boy" and "gal" at places of business. Keep in mind, my parents moved from Vidor into this and it was 1000% times worse than anything ever heard back in east Texas.

I moved to Lake Charles, LA in 2003.  Similar circumstances are why we lived there exactly one year to the date before we could get back to Texas.  You get off the main roads and you started seeing the flags and hearing banjos...almost.  It was eerie as fuck.

Culture shock doesn't even begin to describe it.  I damned sure didn't want my kids growing up around that shit.

This was long past due.  I cringe when I see that flag.  I don’t mind private citizens flying it.  I support idiots self identifying themselves.  There is a ranch off 117 near us in Frio County. A large, high fenced spread.  Owner has had the confederate flag up for over 30 years.  

I fully support idiots being able to do that.  So I can avoid them.  

• Like 2