MS House votes to change flag

smwhorn

This was long past due.  I cringe when I see that flag.  I don’t mind private citizens flying it.  I support idiots self identifying themselves.  There is a ranch off 117 near us in Frio County. A large, high fenced spread.  Owner has had the confederate flag up for over 30 years.  

I fully support idiots being able to do that.  So I can avoid them.  

It’s always helpful when your enemy identifies themselves.

I think it was 2 sites ago, when I wondered why any young black person would willingly attend Bama or Ole Miss..well apparently the fine folks of Mississippi are more advanced than I gave them credit for.

43 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

It’s always helpful when your enemy identifies themselves.

I think it was 2 sites ago, when I wondered why any young black person would willingly attend Bama or Ole Miss..well apparently the fine folks of Mississippi are more advanced than I gave them credit for.

Doubtful. They voted to keep the flag at a 64% clip less than 20 years ago. Something tells me that if they left it up to another statewide referendum, they would keep the flag again. Basically this was the universities and politicians realizing that the state would get continually reamed until they ditched their racist flag. I doubt Bubba Libhater in Lynchburg MS gives a fuck what the damn commies think about their flag. 

14 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Doubtful. They voted to keep the flag at a 64% clip less than 20 years ago. Something tells me that if they left it up to another statewide referendum, they would keep the flag again. Basically this was the universities and politicians realizing that the state would get continually reamed until they ditched their racist flag. I doubt Bubba Libhater in Lynchburg MS gives a fuck what the damn commies think about their flag. 

Depends on how much he likes college football.

• 2 months later...
7 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Cause they killed all thier bears doesn't mean they have to change it. Ha

This has been bugging me for a while, and I don't mean to be an ass about it. But, please, know there are exceptions to the "i before e, except after c" rule. It's "their." You've been consistently misspelling it for a while now.

Learn it, know it, love it.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 6/28/2020 at 7:31 AM, Iceman said:

Just laugh a little this morning, my friend.    and your post even supports my joke even more as the Westerners have pretty much shrugged off the French influence.

Everyone outside of Quebec has basically shrugged off French influence.  I think less than 10% of non-Quebecois Canadians speak French as a first language.

On 6/28/2020 at 6:34 PM, Johnny Sack said:

This was long past due.  I cringe when I see that flag.  I don’t mind private citizens flying it.  I support idiots self identifying themselves.  There is a ranch off 117 near us in Frio County. A large, high fenced spread.  Owner has had the confederate flag up for over 30 years.  

I fully support idiots being able to do that.  So I can avoid them.  

In the last 4 years, there's been a sudden spike in Confederate flags in Minnesota and Iowa.

It takes a special kind of ignorant to fly that flag in the states that contributed more soldiers to the Union per capita than any.  I'm pretty sure it's become some way to either advertise your racism or try and "trigger libtards".

46 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Would also have accepted GANT or even Cavender's.  

Serious question---what's the significance of the 20/21 stars on the new MS flag?  

5 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Would also have accepted GANT or even Cavender's.  

Serious question---what's the significance of the 20/21 stars on the new MS flag?  

Before the commission voted, they discussed various aspects of the Magnolia Flag, including whether it should have 20 or 21 stars. The 20 white stars represents Mississippi being 20th state to join the United States. The 21st gold star represents the Native Americans who were originally here. 

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/news/politics/2020/09/02/new-mississippi-state-flag-commission-final-design/3455475001/

I thought it was to commemorate 2020, the year Mississippi handled the pandemic and racial injustice so elegantly.  

Thanks to Don Johnson, pos rep.  Should have read the full article, it's just that...I've never been inclined to read any article about Mississippi.  Ever. 

They were kick-ass hosts at the 2012 football game.  And I drove through biloxi/gulfport a few times.  Rest of it can get fucked. 

1 minute ago, Don Johnson said:

Before the commission voted, they discussed various aspects of the Magnolia Flag, including whether it should have 20 or 21 stars. The 20 white stars represents Mississippi being 20th state to join the United States. The 21st gold star represents the Native Americans who were originally here. 

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/news/politics/2020/09/02/new-mississippi-state-flag-commission-final-design/3455475001/

Would've been better with "In Plaquemine Mounds We Trust"

33 minutes ago, bolverk said:

South Carolina, Alaska, and Indiana are underappreciated. Those are some fine flags too.

Alaska really is under-appreciated.  

I'll also entertain Colorado as a member of that next-tier group that doesn't quite reach the level of Texas/New Mexico/Maryland greatness.  Ohio might be in there, too, just for the guts it takes to go with a non-rectangle.  

17 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I feel that Virginia could go on some list for "most potential for improvement" based of their current design by sticking with the current seal: half naked chick with a spear and her foot on the throat of a dead king.

That's fucking metal.

Reveal hidden contents

1280px-Flag_of_Virginia.svg.png

That's not a half-naked chick.  It is presumably Marcus Junius Brutus standing over the body of Caesar (though it could also be Brutus' ancestor, Lucius Junius Brutus metaphorically standing over Tarquin the Proud, the last king of Rome).

The ones that are really in need of revisions are Florida and Alabama.  Yeah--I see you guys.  Sure, those are just the saltire of St. Andrew--coincidentally adopted after the Civil War at the time Jim Crow was being instituted.  You're really fooling a lot of people with that.

7 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Alaska really is under-appreciated.  

I'll also entertain Colorado as a member of that next-tier group that doesn't quite reach the level of Texas/New Mexico/Maryland greatness.  Ohio might be in there, too, just for the guts it takes to go with a non-rectangle.  

That's not a half-naked chick.  It is presumably Marcus Junius Brutus standing over the body of Caesar (though it could also be Brutus' ancestor, Lucius Junius Brutus metaphorically standing over Tarquin the Proud, the last king of Rome).

The ones that are really in need of revisions are Florida and Alabama.  Yeah--I see you guys.  Sure, those are just the saltire of St. Andrew--coincidentally adopted after the Civil War at the time Jim Crow was being instituted.  You're really fooling a lot of people with that.

Agreed on Colorado and Ohio being in the top tier, but you're wrong about Virginia. That's a badass Amazon with a nip slip.

The great seal of the Commonwealth shall consist of two metallic discs, two and one-fourth inches in diameter, with an ornamental border one fourth of an inch wide, with such words and figures engraved as follows: On the obverse, Virtus, the genius of the Commonwealth, dressed as an Amazon, resting on a spear in her right hand, point downward, touching the earth; and holding in her left hand, a sheathed sword, or parazonium, pointing upward; her head erect and face upturned; her left foot on the form of Tyranny represented by the prostrate body of a man, with his head to her left, his fallen crown nearby, a broken chain in his left hand, and a scourge in his right.

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/1-500/

Edited by bolverk

6 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Agreed on Colorado and Ohio being in the top tier, but you're wrong about Virginia. That's a badass Amazon with a nip slip.

The great seal of the Commonwealth shall consist of two metallic discs, two and one-fourth inches in diameter, with an ornamental border one fourth of an inch wide, with such words and figures engraved as follows: On the obverse, Virtus, the genius of the Commonwealth, dressed as an Amazon, resting on a spear in her right hand, point downward, touching the earth; and holding in her left hand, a sheathed sword, or parazonium, pointing upward; her head erect and face upturned; her left foot on the form of Tyranny represented by the prostrate body of a man, with his head to her left, his fallen crown nearby, a broken chain in his left hand, and a scourge in his right.

That sword has an unfortunate resemblance to a large gray dick from a distance.

Edited by TwiceHorn

26 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Then that is a shitty fucking drawing of a woman.

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

If you think the current Alabama flag looks bad, you should have seen the one Alabama actually flew during the Civil War.

nsfw

seriously, you won't believe this

last chance

b00ae23ef4c7021af21c739ed4878014.jpg

I think that's Alabama's flag, striding confidently into battle to preserve an unholy slave regime...

28 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

If you think the current Alabama flag looks bad, you should have seen the one Alabama actually flew during the Civil War.

Hide contents

nsfw

Hide contents

seriously, you won't believe this

Hide contents

last chance

b00ae23ef4c7021af21c739ed4878014.jpg

Hide contents

Hide contents

I think that's Alabama's flag, striding confidently into battle to preserve an unholy slave regime...

What's your point?  That Texas was a part of the Confederacy?  No fucking shit.

But unlike Alabama, our flag was adopted long before secession.  We didn't ditch our previous flag to adopt a flag that would look suspiciously like the Confederate Battle Flag at the precise hour that we were solidifying Jim Crow into state law.  That's exactly what Alabama did.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

What's your point?  That Texas was a part of the Confederacy?  No fucking shit.

But unlike Alabama, our flag was adopted long before secession.  We didn't ditch our previous flag to adopt a flag that would look suspiciously like the Confederate Battle Flag at the precise hour that we were solidifying Jim Crow into state law.  That's exactly what Alabama did.

My point is that it is hilarious to hear a Texan (unless you're a Canadian already) talk about slave-ocracy symbolism when Texas flies the exact same flag as when they were busy expanding the number of slave states.

I don't think Alabama's flag is good. I just think you funny.

17 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

My point is that it is hilarious to hear a Texan (unless you're a Canadian already) talk about slave-ocracy symbolism when Texas flies the exact same flag as when they were busy expanding the number of slave states.

I don't think Alabama's flag is good. I just think you funny.

Canada won't let me in, bro.

The United States flies (functionally) the same flag as when it allowed slavery.  What's your point?  You think that's the same as adopting a flag after the Civil War that was intended to evoke the Confederate Battle Flag?

Just now, Ghost of LL said:

Canada won't let me in, bro.

The United States flies (functionally) the same flag as when it allowed slavery.  What's your point?  You think that's the same as adopting a flag after the Civil War that was intended to evoke the Confederate Battle Flag?

Sorry to hear about Canada, if that's what you wanted to do. I was a Mexico man myself, but now on FB I see all my friends there are anti-maskers. It scares me. Cartels don't have a reason to bother me. The virus does.

You're halfway there with the American flag point. I don't think it holds up all the way. The original 13 colonies had slavery, or didn't, already You could make a case that when Andrew Jackson walked into what is now Alabama, killing Redsticks and introducing (a lot more) slavery, that that was analogous to how Texas got started. If the US flag represents Jackson (and he's part of it for sure) then OK. You do know that this is the same argument that Confederate flag folks made, right? "The US flag flew over all the slave ships!"

I see the Texas flag, I see the flag of a proto-Confederacy that never really owned up to what it was about. (Hell, half this board thinks most Texans fought for the Union.) I see the Alabama flag, and I see a post-Confederate asshole flag.

14 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

I see the Texas flag, I see the flag of a proto-Confederacy that never really owned up to what it was about. (Hell, half this board thinks most Texans fought for the Union.) 

What, exactly, does this mean?  Texas' secession from the United States was entirely about slavery, as expressly stated in the Declaration of Causes of Secession.  In short, when Texas decided to undertake rebellion to defend slavery, it wasn't shy about saying so.

Which makes the Texas Declaration of Independence so remarkable.  It's not a well-written document.  They're obviously trying to mimic Jefferson.  But it's clear there's no single drafter.  It's like they had every delegate get up and write a paragraph about what he was pissed about.  So you've got some wild complaints in there, including that Mexico "has failed to establish any public system of education," which is really very ironic given the state of the public-education system in Texas.

But one thing you don't see in there is any mention of slavery.

Now, it could be that the Texans thought in 1836 that talking about slavery was politically incorrect.  But it's hard to believe that slavery was more politically incorrect in 1836 than it was 25 years later.  In 1836, slavery was still legal in the United States, France, and the British colonies.  So it's hard to think that the inclusion of slavery would've deprived Texas of foreign support (and, in the event, it didn't--all three countries recognized Texas' independence).

The far more likely explanation is that slavery wasn't a reason for declaring independence from Mexico.  Though Mexico banned the importation of news slaves in 1830.  Slavery--including the importation of slaves--continued with no substantive interference from the federal government.

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

Colorado flag is definitely top tier, if for no other reason it’s widespread use even by people who don’t live in Colorado but just love visiting. The Oklahoma state flag on the other hand is hideous and frankly unamerican.

A5EA98CF-2F19-438C-8948-6DD16FB30C9A.jpeg

that’s the old one. 

I believe they were forced to adopt a new one this summer:

CC2EA9EB-713E-4FA1-9DE6-841B329C131A.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

that’s the old one. 

I believe they were forced to adopt a new one this summer:

CC2EA9EB-713E-4FA1-9DE6-841B329C131A.jpeg

Haha, just the majority of Tulsa and some shithole towns to the south like Okmulgee. In all seriousness, I wish we'd go back to our original flag. The current one is a jumbled mess of Indian symbols that no one can ever draw from memory, and one of the key principals of vexology is that if you have to spell out the place it's not a distinctive flag. The old one is simple and just looks good. The 46 represents Oklahoma being the 46th state.

Category: Oklahoma - Rhonda S. Fair

22 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

What, exactly, does this mean?  Texas' secession from the United States was entirely about slavery, as expressly stated in the Declaration of Causes of Secession.  In short, when Texas decided to undertake rebellion to defend slavery, it wasn't shy about saying so.

I remember a history teacher asking what the Civil War was about, and asked if we thought it was about states' rights, and a bunch of us raised our hands.

Then he pulled out a big poster of the Declaration of Causes of Secession, and had one of the students read it.

And we got to that part in the third paragraph

She was received as a commonwealth holding, maintaining and protecting the institution known as negro slavery--the servitude of the African to the white race within her limits--a relation that had existed from the first settlement of her wilderness by the white race, and which her people intended should exist in all future time. Her institutions and geographical position established the strongest ties between her and other slave-holding States of the confederacy. Those ties have been strengthened by association. But what has been the course of the government of the United States, and of the people and authorities of the non-slave-holding States, since our connection with them?

The controlling majority of the Federal Government, under various pretences and disguises, has so administered the same as to exclude the citizens of the Southern States, unless under odious and unconstitutional restrictions, from all the immense territory owned in common by all the States on the Pacific Ocean, for the avowed purpose of acquiring sufficient power in the common government to use it as a means of destroying the institutions of Texas and her sister slave-holding States.

That got some attention.

1 minute ago, Dr. Beeper said:

It’s amazing how much more progressive Texas (and Florida) are with respect to the rest of the South. North Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia, and Alabama, probably in that order, are behind us. Mississippi is the worst. Either Louisiana or South Carolina the 2nd worst. 

I mean every state in the Union has racism. I’ve just never seen it as consistently overt as it is in Mississippi, and to a lesser extent Louisiana. 

I had a professor say once that Texas is relatively unique in the slave states because of their closer working proximity between owners and “workers” (slaves, freed blacks, natives, tajanos, Mexicans) which continues to this day. 

While segregation, racism and refusal of participation was still very much the norm, there was an air of community acknowledgement which set it apart from its neighbors.