MS House votes to change flag

smwhorn

14 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

I had a professor say once that Texas is relatively unique in the slave states because of their closer working proximity between owners and “workers” (slaves, freed blacks, natives, tajanos, Mexicans) which continues to this day. 

While segregation, racism and refusal of participation was still very much the norm, there was an air of community acknowledgement which set it apart from its neighbors. 

There was a bit less of a plantation economy in Texas, unlike most of the rest of the south.

1 hour ago, RDCanecutter said:

Why, in your opinion, was Texas independent for 9 years?

My opinion is that Texas was independent largely because Santa Anna got caught napping at San Jacinto.

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

Haha, just the majority of Tulsa and some shithole towns to the south like Okmulgee. In all seriousness, I wish we'd go back to our original flag. The current one is a jumbled mess of Indian symbols that no one can ever draw from memory, and one of the key principals of vexology is that if you have to spell out the place it's not a distinctive flag. The old one is simple and just looks good. The 46 represents Oklahoma being the 46th state.

Category: Oklahoma - Rhonda S. Fair

You know--that's not a half-bad looking flag.

7 hours ago, 'stache said:

Haha, just the majority of Tulsa and some shithole towns to the south like Okmulgee. In all seriousness, I wish we'd go back to our original flag. The current one is a jumbled mess of Indian symbols that no one can ever draw from memory, and one of the key principals of vexology is that if you have to spell out the place it's not a distinctive flag. The old one is simple and just looks good. The 46 represents Oklahoma being the 46th state.

Category: Oklahoma - Rhonda S. Fair

Thats a good lookin flag. Gotta give credit where credit is due. 

Added bonus is that almost 20% will be able to read it! ;)

7 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I remember a history teacher asking what the Civil War was about, and asked if we thought it was about states' rights, and a bunch of us raised our hands.

Then he pulled out a big poster of the Declaration of Causes of Secession, and had one of the students read it.

And we got to that part in the third paragraph

That got some attention.

• Hook 'Em 1