What kind of wine corkscrew do you have?

52-80

3 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Coravin is probably your best bet.  It's a bit pricey.  I'm trying to talk myself into one.

Have one...never use it.

That's more for just having a glass or two of something really nice without actually opening it.  What I'm talking about is more like when you're halfway through your second or third cheap bottle and you decide to call it quits.  Then just to store the bottle until next time without it leaking.

23 hours ago, Landomatic said:

While we're on the subject, does anyone have a good solution for re-corking (resealing) a bottle that's been opened that didn't quite get finished?  Usually, I'll just stick the cork back in and it's fine, especially if I can store it upright.  But sometimes when I do that and lay it back down in the wine refrigerator, it leaks all over.  Surely there's a product that seals better than a removed, used, often torn up cork.

Another option is to save a couple of half bottles and just transfer the wine into a clean one and re-cork.  I don't find the vacuum sealers to be terribly effective.  Threw mine out years ago.  Putting them in the fridge helps slow oxidation too.

Also I have saved a few glass closures from some wines I got in the past (can't remember the winery but they have a silicone sealer and the caps fit most bottles snugly so no leakage).  Will use those often.

Edited by DDD Dad

2 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Another option is to save a couple of half bottles and just transfer the wine into a clean one and re-cork.  I don't find the vacuum sealers to be terribly effective.  Threw mine out years ago.  Putting them in the fridge helps slow oxidation too.

Also I have saved a few glass closures from some wines I got in the past (can't remember the winery but they have a silicone sealer and the caps fit most bottles snugly so no leakage).  Will use those often.

Almost forgot--there are a few makers who use screw caps on half bottles.  I think, if memory serves, Baumard has Quarts de Chaume in half bottles with screw caps. Get ya a few of those and you should be set.

• 2 weeks later...

Bought the bell corkscrew.  Shit's dope.  Feels nice and solid.  Beautiful satin finish.  Ultra smooth action.  Nice cam to change depth of the crossbar.  Twists all the way down and plunges the cork out at end of travel.

Also found 2 whole goose liver raw, so sliced that baby up and pan fried it.  It did not suck.

DXQQDy3.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/PTanOaB.jpg