The jimmyjazz/anastasis slapfight thread

Continental Op

3 minutes ago, Mach 1 said:

Hits close to home. Just had a few lengua tacos that were off the charts.  

I hit this place after the Alabama game. That is the only reason I know about it. I am am an Arandas on Oltorf guy. Pinches tacos was good though, especially the women in line.

Edited by DanTheHorn

5 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Very true.

Incidentally, despite making them famous in a song, Guy Clark hated mad dog margaritas. He said, and I quote, that they tasted like "a combination of petroleum and sea water."

He’s right. Still a great song. 

14 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

I hit this place after the Alabama game. That is the only reason I know about it. I am am an Arandas on Oltorf guy. Pinches tacos was good though, especially the women in line.

They've expanded and doing very well. Early on they'd be surprised to see a guero pick up lengua tacos, now they just give me a nod.

Edited by Mach 1
fucking grammar
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

This feels like a post-Covid (LOL) road trip is in order.  I've never heard of it.

Decor-wise it is basically a shrine to John Wayne...I don't think the present political climate will change that. Looks like it was a saloon at one point way back when. I think everything in Bandera, including the churches, was a saloon at some point. 

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Maudie's are definitely not the same as EyM.  They might be working off the same general recipe, but the final product is not the same.  (I like Maudie's plenty but in this case I'll take EyM enchiladas every day.)

I might be mixing up the various relations but I am pretty sure those three (jorges, maudies and eym) all share genetics. Especially the first two. 

3 hours ago, David Dennison said:

The fuck is Cali-Mex?

I've always thought burritos and "tostadas".

The only thing I thought was truly memorable in CA was the burritos, which were terrific.  This was back way before the chain burrito places.

I also noticed that Calfiornians seemed to go wild for chalupas/tostadas at outdoor fairs/events. 

The version of the story I heard from the Chili Parlor folks is that “mad dog margaritas” weren’t a drink on the menu until after Jerry Jeff wrote the song and people started asking for them.

Also their salsa is made with serranos and is legit.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Maudie's are definitely not the same as EyM.  They might be working off the same general recipe, but the final product is not the same.  (I like Maudie's plenty but in this case I'll take EyM enchiladas every day.)

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

I might be mixing up the various relations but I am pretty sure those three (jorges, maudies and eym) all share genetics. Especially the first two. 

Geez, y'all get a thread or somet...Oh wait.

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Jorge recipe is the quintessential Austin cheese enchilada. 

isn't that the family recipe for EyM? very similar

any list of 'best enchiladas' in Austin that doesn't include EyM is trash

The true test of good Tex-Mex is and always has been the hot sauce and chips (if you call it salsa you are not a Texan)  before you have the #2 dinner which consists of cheese enchiladas, crispy taco with a small guacamole salad, rice and refried beans.That is it. That's the list.

Edited by Steamboat1874

9 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

The true test of good Tex-Mex is and always has been the hot sauce and chips (if you call it salsa you are not a Texan)  before you have the #2 dinner which consists of cheese enchiladas, crispy taco with a small guacamole salad, rice and refried beans.That is it. That's the list.

Not sure that I agree on the salsa/hot sauce thing.  I think that either is fine when referring to what is served with chips, but I would usually refer to that as salsa in a restaurant. 

If I am at a Tex Mex place in Austin, and I ask for some salsa, nine times out of ten I am going to get the stuff that you dip your chips in. But I wouldn't throw a fit about it if they brought out some Valentina. 

If I ask for hot sauce, nine times out of ten they are going to bring me some cholula or something.  A salsa picante. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Yup.  The Enchiladas Josie.  That's Casita Jorges original recipe.  They bought it from Jorges.

The bomb.

You say this with such authority, that I want to believe you. Casita Jorge's was religion in my family growing up. Dad would play softball on Fridays at Pleasant Valley Sportsplex, and we'd go eat Jorge's after the early games and before the late games. I can still walk thru that place in my head, with the "smoking section" in the back, and the four-game arcade in front on your left as you entered. Even driving by the building these days kicks up the nostalgia dust into my eyes.

• Like 1