The jimmyjazz/anastasis slapfight thread

Continental Op

1 minute ago, Axiom of Choice said:

I've eaten many cheese enchiladas, but I think cabrito, mole, fajitas/carne asada, or guacamole are much better measures of the quality of a Tex Mex restaurant.  Cheese enchiladas are just microwaved cheese with some sauce.

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Axiom of Choice said:

On jimmyjazz and Anastasis, I'm guessing they would fall very close to each other on the political compass.  I've not seen their disputes, but I'm guessing it has to do with Anastasis not liking either party and jimmyjazz hating one party much more than the other.  A prolific conservative poster here could unite them on their mutual hate of the republican party.  Unfortunately, we don't have any of those because of the polarization of the internet.   

Although I think this thread is nonsensical, let me add some flavor to what you have said:  

-- I'm not a Democrat (although I am a liberal)

-- most of our arguments, which are not particularly spiteful or vicious on the spectrum of what else happens on this site, tend to come down to his laser focus on the intelligence community and its abuse, often regardless of the actual topic at hand

Also, I disagree that cheese enchiladas are not an appropriate barometer for judging a TexMex restaurant.  It's like judging a pizza joint on its pizza Margherita -- if you can't get that right, let's just move on.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Also, I disagree that cheese enchiladas are not an appropriate barometer for judging a TexMex restaurant.  It's like judging a pizza joint on its pizza Margherita -- if you can't get that right, let's just move on.

I agree 100%. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

-- most of our arguments, which are not particularly spiteful or vicious on the spectrum of what else happens on this site, tend to come down to his laser focus on the intelligence community and its abuse, often regardless of the actual topic at hand

That's fair, but to be more complete, it's not just IC abuses, which are significant and numerous, that stick in my craw.  It is the broad integration of the IC, American foreign policy, and the military industrial complex.  It is that integration which exports death around the world, erodes our constitutional rights domestically, and generates blow back that costs American lives and takes decades to unwind. So yeah, I've kinda been fixated on it for a while. 

People draw political red lines around a lot of things. For many it is abortion, for others recently health care, and for yet others various issues of specific focus.  That one's mine.  I can't give my vote to a political candidate who does not agree and advocate for aggressive dismantling of the problem.  IMO, it's a long-standing immoral stain on America that has been institutionalized by...well you know.

• Like 2

Good in-house sauces, meats are important but you guys are missing the obvious.  Margaritas.

Give me tequila and fresh lime juice over ice, sweetened only by agave nectar.  If the default margarita is closer to a Sonic limeade slush, then it's not good Tex-Mex.

4 minutes ago, Axiom of Choice said:

Don jimmyjazz, what on earth are you even talking about. 

I just like the cleaner flavor of simple syrup.  Plus, too many people do a 1:1 substitution, which makes the agave drink too sweet for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Goredho said:

This thread does suck.  We put you two in a cage for a bloody death match and get this mundane conversational bullshit.

Fuck it, I'm out to the hoodfights thread.

You have one of the worst avatars on this site. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

People draw political red lines around a lot of things. For many it is abortion, for others recently health care, and for yet others various issues of specific focus.  That one's mine.  I can't give my vote to a political candidate who does not agree and advocate for aggressive dismantling of the problem.  IMO, it's a long-standing immoral stain on America that has been institutionalized by...well you know.

I know this is a throw away JJ/A thread, but I wanted to respond to this nonetheless.  Given the complexities of governing, I find single issue voting to be silly as a concept.  That said, as much as I disagree with the logic, I can at least understand the thought process behind refusing to vote for a candidate who actively opposes your single issue if another candidate purports to be on your side (e.g., "pro life" fundamentalists voting for Donald Trump because of judicial appointments). 

To be clear, the current election is not that situation with respect to your "red line". In January of 2021, only Donald Trump or Joe Biden will be President. That's it. That's the list. Neither one of those candidates are breaking up "the IC" or fundamentally changing American interventionism. Maybe that sucks, but voting for Biden, Trump or Willie Nelson will have literally zero impact on that fact.

But surely you have an opinion, regardless of what it may be, on expanding affordable health care vs. reverting to pre-ACA health care; on increasing deficits to fund shareholder buybacks/exec comp vs. middle/lower class social programs; on a 5-4 SCOTUS vs. replacing Ginsburg with a Kavanaugh-style conservative for the next 30 years; on reinserting environmental protections vs. continuing to rollback environmental regulations; on whether the President can at least pass as a decent human being who generally cares about governing vs. the President being a transparently thin skinned coward who cares only about himself. Because voting for Biden, Trump or Willie Nelson absolutely will have an impact on each of the aforementioned issues, in addition to numerous others. 

I'm using your response to illustrate the point, but of course there are many other similar examples (Bernie supporters w/r/t M4A; opponents of the two party system; etc.).  My cynical view is that not making a choice - one way or the other - is a cop out and abdication of personal responsibility under the guise of being principled and high minded. But perhaps I'm missing the larger point, in which case I'd be happy to be corrected. 

• Like 3

In short, I hate both candidates and both parties and am not concerned who is the greater of the incompetents.  I know that is apostasy on this board and elsewhere, but I cannot bring myself to care.  

That was a fairly common opinion on Shaggy, but I think the election of chief executive 45 ensured that people have decided clearly which is the lesser of two evils.

That being said I think most would still agree that a 2 party system and the greater and greater divide since the 70s with zero common coalitions and polarization of every issue (even seemingly apolitical issues) is not healthy for the republic.
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

single issue

I don't see it as a single issue necessarily, but a number of discrete issues that all integrate under one general theme. But the point is fair enough.   

In January of 2021, only Donald Trump or Joe Biden will be President. That's it. That's the list.

I would not rule that one of the two are dead in Jan 2021, although the odds get longer by the day.

But surely you have an opinion, regardless of what it may be, on expanding affordable health care vs. reverting to pre-ACA health care; on increasing deficits to fund shareholder buybacks/exec comp vs. middle/lower class social programs; on a 5-4 SCOTUS vs. replacing Ginsburg with a Kavanaugh-style conservative for the next 30 years; on reinserting environmental protections vs. continuing to rollback environmental regulations; on whether the President can at least pass as a decent human being who generally cares about governing vs. the President being a transparently thin skinned coward who cares only about himself.

Sure, we should talk about those things. And we have, spending quite a bit on bandwidth on some of them such as healthcare in particular.  Those threads are on the board. You should consider chiming in on some of them.

My cynical view is that not making a choice - one way or the other - is a cop out and abdication of personal responsibility

My cynical view is that I don't think that I should be forced to choose between a false dichotomy of eating shit or rubbing it all over my face and in my eyes.

I've voted for exactly 1 Republican (W, 2000) and 0 Democrats in my life. I've made two donations to Democrats since 2016, one state and one national. Frankly, my money is probably of far more assistance to them than my vote. I do wish that I was aware of the threshold for public reporting of campaign contributions though. I feel a little dirty when I show up by name in the database.

I'd be happy to pull the lever for a major party candidate if they would simply run somebody worth voting for, on their own merits and based on their own positions.

Now, can we get back to talking about land o lakes easy melt, please. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Celery Man said:

This is very wrong

Agree, I either ask for Salsa or if I am in a real deal Mexican restaurant I ask for chili (chee-lay not chilly). Hot sauce is shit you put on cajun food or something.

• Like 1

It is hard to fuck up cheese enchiladas. But I’ve seen it done.

The hot sauce/salsa and chips is a pretty good barometer as to how the rest of the Tex mex food will be. Its kind of like the hot and sour soup at a Chinese restaurant. If the hot and sour soup sucks, the rest of the food will. Same thing with hot sauce and chips.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, F250 said:

Agree, I either ask for Salsa or if I am in a real deal Mexican restaurant I ask for chili (chee-lay not chilly). Hot sauce is shit you put on cajun food or something.

We called it hot sauce growing up and we didn’t mean Cholula or Tabasco.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

25 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

Tabasco isn’t hot sauce...it’s pepper sauce.

Your avatar also sucks. I mean, I know LSU has plenty of talent that doesnt require a photoshop. Just mailing it in imo. 

Edited by Anastasis

• 4 months later...