Legal recourse for nuisance STR next door

Yeah, that "tunez 10 hrs" is irritating AF.  I think it's the total randomness of it & no real consistent beat of any kind. 

Good selection.  Now the question is where can one find those white van speaker guys so you can buy a cheap set of bass woofers & blast that shit sideways.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2020 at 8:31 PM, HRSchenker said:

I gotta admit I chuckled when you mentioned your home's value. Everyone always says that owning a house is an investment, well sometimes you invest in Tesla and sometimes you invest in Enron. I would buy a speaker and play a song with sporadic bass. We used to do that to piss off the neighbors when they wouldn't take our noise complaints seriously. This is the perfect song, wish it was around when this happened. Be careful because it's loud

Yeah I dont really care about my homes value so long as the tax man thinks it is low. The house is paid off and I will never sell this location.  I was looking for a legal angle to get rid of this shit. I am on day 7 of chaos and we have dealt with it as we could to moderate results. As to the song you owe me a left eardrum, the warning wasn't enough.

On 7/2/2020 at 3:56 AM, justhookit said:

If you don’t have one already build a fence.

So this is the best part, I got fucking cucked into going in on a fence with the owner because I thought it would help me not deal with these fuckers. Hindsight is 20-20. I had a chain link, I should have left it so I could fuck with these people more effectively. I have a new angle that involves building a fence along the front yard to the ROW. This dudes driveway is extra narrow and they can use the whole width now plus some.

I am building an 8' fence right on the property line. I am taking suggestions but I think bright pink is in order.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

I am building an 8' fence right on the property line. I am taking suggestions but I think bright pink is in order.

Only pink for their side, right?

Oh, & for noise pollution you can set up a game call on a timer - have it play when you're away or inside.  Go for the digital recordings & use the dying rabbit sounds.

4 hours ago, Deej said:

Find out where the owners live and buy the house next door to them and turn it into a short term rental. 

I know exactly where they live and I already looked into buying the houses next to them. Neither will sell. I didnt tell them why but I do know one of the people sued the STR owner once so there is already no love lost there.

• Like 2

stop fucking around and take action

rent the place for a day or two next time it is available and go in the attic and toss bag ass bags of hamburger meat all throughout the attic

do it in the fall when the cooler days and nights will keep the meat from drying out too quick

along with that flush some putty down the toilets make sure it is slow setting and flush a few times to get it down a ways before it sets up

between smelling like rotten ass and the toilets and sinks backing up constantly the place will become unrentable

repeat with close friends renting it for a night or two as well as needed

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

stop fucking around and take action

rent the place for a day or two next time it is available and go in the attic and toss bag ass bags of hamburger meat all throughout the attic

do it in the fall when the cooler days and nights will keep the meat from drying out too quick

along with that flush some putty down the toilets make sure it is slow setting and flush a few times to get it down a ways before it sets up

between smelling like rotten ass and the toilets and sinks backing up constantly the place will become unrentable

repeat with close friends renting it for a night or two as well as needed

Frozen shrimp in the curtain rods. They'll never find it. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

On 6/30/2020 at 6:48 AM, Bevo said:

Plant weed in their front yard. Call cops after it grows to a good height. If the cops arrest the owner of the property you win and if they don't take the weed you have a new source.

That won’t work in Travis County, but here in Wilco the sheriff & his deputies will drive through the house with their tank.

I would call the cops every time. Record the noise levels, record video with the noise levels throughout the property. 

Then, I would send every single one to the neighbor. 

Next, I would find his listings and then call whichever provider it is from AirBNB, VRBO, etc, and work until you get a customer service manager who can do something. Provide them the correspondence with the owner and the evidence of continual violation of nuisance laws. 

Build your paper trail for both civil action against the owner, and administrative action from the platforms he is profiting off of. 

• Like 2

Demand to meet the owner in person.

You lock eyes across a busy room.  It's instant connection.  Love.  Lust.

You bang, like Top Gun romantic like bang.  While he/she is lying in repose, you put poop in their pants.  Then they have shitty pants!  Got em!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, zork said:

lebowski treatment :  aka: crowbar to the corvette type damage to the vehicles of the owner of the STR.  Or to the vehicles or property of  their guests at 4:30AM as each group moves in.

Let them know what happens when you meet a Stranger in the Alps 

5 hours ago, TheYoungHorn said:

I would call the cops every time. Record the noise levels, record video with the noise levels throughout the property. 

Next, I would find his listings and then call whichever provider it is from AirBNB, VRBO, etc, and work until you get a customer service manager who can do something. Provide them the correspondence with the owner and the evidence of continual violation of nuisance laws. 

Build your paper trail for both civil action against the owner, and administrative action from the platforms he is profiting off of. 

Well look @ the big brain on Brad.

We'll all guess that you're the life of parties.

20 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Purchasing a spite house is best suggestion yet.

BRING BACK SPITE HOUSES!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spite_house

for those of you who don't know what they are...

A spite house is a building constructed or substantially modified to irritate neighbors or any party with land stakes. Because long-term occupation is not the primary purpose of these houses, they frequently sport strange and impractical structures.

Spite houses may create obstructions, such as blocking out light or blocking access to neighboring buildings, or can be flagrant symbols of defiance.[1][2] Although homeowners generally have no right to views, light, or air, neighbors can sue for a negative easement. In instances regarding a spite build, courts are far more likely to side with the neighboring parties which may have been affected by that build.[3] For example, the Coty v. Ramsey Associates, Inc. case of 1988 ruled that the defendant's spite farm constituted a nuisance, granting the neighboring landowner a negative easement.[3]

Spite houses, as well as spite farms, are considerably rarer than spite fences.[1] This is partially attributable to the fact that modern building codes often prevent the construction of houses likely to impinge on neighbors' views or privacy, but mostly because fence construction is far cheaper, quicker, and easier than home construction.[4] There are also similar structures known as spite walls or blinder walls.

a spite fence isn't a bad idea: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spite_fence

some hilarious photos

Spoiler

Spite_house_in_Boston_(36241p).jpg

Spite_20House_20Seattle1-11.0.jpg

__opt__aboutcom__coeus__resources__conte

richardson-spite-house.jpg

18 hours ago, Deej said:

97d.gif

14 hours ago, TheYoungHorn said:

this is actually a great idea.

you can look into something like this NoiseAware you can set up outside (link) (review) or something like this Minut

from a quick google those look like they are the two main options out there for monitoring and tracking noise information. this lets you automatically track it, store the data and have it for the future. looks like one or both of them were specifically built to monitor STR's

looks like Minut is mostly an indoor product and costs like $130 (no subscription cost) and NoiseAware looks like it is about $100 for device (more expensive for outdoor version?) and has a subscription cost it looks like ($100 / year)

you could probably build something from scratch if you are that technical - found some links for that but those top options are off the shelf things that may work and can help.

evidently AirBNB has a reporting system that you can use to report things like this, they contact the host directly https://www.airbnb.com/neighbors

Y51miB7V

Edited by NoName

It's amazing that STRs have managed to survive being legislated away.   They drive residents nuts, typically enrich someone who lives nowhere near (i.e. the money flows out of the area), and many of them manage to dodge local taxes.   The worst part is foreign investors laundering their ill gotten cash (ahemshanghaistockmarketahem) into real property in another nation where they may never step foot.  We're selling out our major cities' real estate for monopoly money.  It's insane, and will have long term negative consequences.

As for this particular case, have you considered just buying the property yourself so you have more control over the behavior of the short term renters?   Presuming that clamping down on noise/partying will eventually make this a less attractive STR, you can always sell it and include a deed restriction preventing this from happening again.  Or just burn the fucker down.

On 7/9/2020 at 1:04 PM, Deej said:

I like the way you think. You can also order 100 live mice from a snake food place, throw a bunch of dried dog food in the attic and turn them loose.  

Maybe GOLL will hire out his pretzel ghost.

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Like 1

I have the HOA working to restrict access to the HOA private property by these STR. They didnt care till I provided some evidence of what these people do to our community. I have some stuff going but it isn't something I am going to put into public. 

If my plan works even partially, I may be able to buy the property from the owner. We will see. I am trying to stay well within the law but these things sometimes stray into grey areas.

• 1 month later...

There’s a fair bit of chatter on AirBNB hosts Facebook groups about units being shut down when neighbors complain directly to AirBNB. I’d keep calling AirBNB every time anything you don’t like is happening next door. Whenever you call in be sure to request a “ticket number” for your complaint. Keep a record of these ticket numbers so you can refer to them in every subsequent call to AirBNB. 

Bernard

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Bernard said:

There’s a fair bit of chatter on AirBNB hosts Facebook groups about units being shut down when neighbors complain directly to AirBNB. I’d keep calling AirBNB every time anything you don’t like is happening next door. Whenever you call in be sure to request a “ticket number” for your complaint. Keep a record of these ticket numbers so you can refer to them in every subsequent call to AirBNB. 

Bernard

But keep working on the fence.

29 minutes ago, Bernard said:

Bernard

Great tip. Problem is knowing how they reserved (vrbo or others). Worth a shot though. Yes fence is a full go. Going to the ranch to get cedar posts and a bunch of old barbed wire with possible tetanus attached. I am building a rustic fence, emphasis on the rust.

Will report back if anything comes of it. The owner avoids me like the plague so I bet not much response from him.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I hesitate to tell this part but I am off the rest of the week and knee deep in good whiskey. Last weekend they had a Batchelor party rental that went to 11 all weekend. I was cool till around 12am the second night when I lost my shit on them for playing music and yelling at an absurd, hear them inside, kids asking what is going on level.  I called and texted the owner to no response before shutting them down. They actually chilled out but that is when the fun started. The owner wife came outside (they live across the street) with her 19 yr old son and started yelling while talking to the husband on the phone. I guess he was out of town. My wife was outside and heard it and went at her. Fair fight in my eyes even if my wife is 100lbs dripping wet, she is  meaner than a honey badger. Well the 19 year old boy bowed up to my wife and then left bc she would kill his ass with her bare hands. They threatened to call the cops on us when I went outside to check on my wife. It was a shitshow but I welcomed them to call and explain how a 19yr old male adult walked on my property and threatened my little wife and we were the ones being aggressive.  4 days later they have done nothing but avoid us. I am mostly pissed I missed most of the fun.

Edited by HOOKEM4
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

I hesitate to tell this part but I am off the rest of the week and knee deep in good whiskey. Last weekend they had a Batchelor party rental that went to 11 all weekend. I was cool till around 12am the second night when I lost my shit on them for playing music and yelling at an absurd, hear them inside, kids asking what is going on level.  I called and texted the owner to no response before shutting them down. They actually chilled out but that is when the fun started. The owner wife came outside (they live across the street) with her 19 yr old son and started yelling while talking to the husband on the phone. I guess he was out of town. My wife was outside and heard it and went at her. Fair fight in my eyes even if my wife is 100lbs dripping wet, she is  meaner than a honey badger. Well the 19 year old boy bowed up to my wife and then left bc she would kill his ass with her bare hands. They threatened to call the cops on us when I went outside to check on my wife. It was a shitshow but I welcomed them to call and explain how a 19yr old male adult walked on my property and threatened my little wife and we were the ones being aggressive.  4 days later they have done nothing but avoid us. I am mostly pissed I missed most of the fun.

Wait, the owners are across the street from you and from the property in question?  So they have to deal with it too? And know full well what's going on?

Edited by TwiceHorn

11 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Wait, the owners are across the street from you and from the property in question?  So they have to deal with it too? And know full well what's going on?

Big lots. They can't hear it or chose not to acknowledge it. They know what is going on. They are the type of people that rent a hotel in town to avoid it all instead of stopping the shit. It has happened twice that I know of when the people became violent. Rental house party area is setup super close to our property line but far from the other side owner. I had 15 years of awesome neighbors till they bought it. I am killing myself for not buying the house but it was not worth it at the time. 

Edited by HOOKEM4

Start fucking with them and their house. Strobe lights, lasers, stink bombs, dogshit, get a bunch of fucked up junk mail sent to their house, put their number on a bunch of solicitor lists, salt their yard, hire some trashy woman to tell his wife she’s fucking her husband, or maybe some gay guy to tell her the same thing. Are there any homeless people nearby? Get them to take a shit on their front door. Gaslight the husband into thinking his wife is having an affair. Mail them glitter. Have a friend of yours rent the place and leave dead fish in the air ducts and clog the drains.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

This shit right here... this fucking changes the entire fucking thread from the 1st post all the way to here.

'The hell, man... What.Thee.Hell.   ?

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, destroya said:

Start fucking with them and their house. Strobe lights, lasers, stink bombs, dogshit, get a bunch of fucked up junk mail sent to their house, put their number on a bunch of solicitor lists, salt their yard, hire some trashy woman to tell his wife she’s fucking her husband, or maybe some gay guy to tell her the same thing. Are there any homeless people nearby? Get them to take a shit on their front door. Gaslight the husband into thinking his wife is having an affair. Mail them glitter. Have a friend of yours rent the place and leave dead fish in the air ducts and clog the drains.

UserID checks out.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, ROFL BOX said:

UserID checks out.

Fuck yeah it does. 

Also, behind the barbwire fence put up some plywood with some really fucked up shit painted on it. Crazy gross and offensive shit like something from ‘faces of death’ and then throw in some prophetic bible verses to up the crazy factor. Also, see if you can find a really fucked up religious group to protest or hold signs up in front of their house since this guy finances abortion for underage girls. If you know anyone in with QAnon have them start some fucked up conspiracy theory about the family and the fucked up shit going on in the Airbnb. Go all in and have some fun with it. 

6 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Sounds like you need to sit this one out and let the wife handle it.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Bevo said:

Sounds like you need to sit this one out and let the wife handle it.

She sucks at building anything.

8 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

My stupid husband spends his days claiming to be a roofer but he posts his diarrhea on some website all day and still hasn't fixed my fucking shower. He is worthless.

Edited by HOOKEM4
  • Like 1

depending on the size of the parties y'all have next door this may or may not be helpful:

https://gizmodo.com/2020s-reign-of-terror-continues-with-the-introduction-o-1844793236

In a statement, Airbnb wrote that it will now cap occupancy at all of its listings at 16 people. The company emphasized that unauthorized parties have always been banned, but owners had the option to allow them. According to the release, “73 percent of our listings globally already ban parties in their House Rules,” but a surge in events being held in violation of local covid-19 restrictions has forced the company to step in and impose its own restrictions.

https://news.airbnb.com/airbnb-announces-global-party-ban/

there may be some useful info here for you if you aren't using that hotline already (i think you said you had issues with them using both VRBO and AirBNB)

Last year, we began imposing much stricter limits – starting with a global ban on “party houses” – meaning, listings that create persistent neighborhood nuisance. We also launched a 24/7 neighborhood support hotline in the U.S. and Canada – with plans for global expansion – to communicate directly with neighbors and help us effectively enforce the party house ban. This complemented new initiatives to stop unauthorized parties – such as manual review of high-risk reservations, as well as restrictions on allowing guests under the age of 25 without a history of positive reviews to book entire home listings locally.

you may be able to use local provisions around gatherings to your benefit depending on what they are (not in Austin so not sure if this helps or not)

Most importantly, we introduced a new policy requiring all users to adhere to local COVID-19 public health mandates. At the time, most local governments were imposing strict limits on gatherings, which effectively created a form-fitting, patchwork ban on parties and events. 

However, in many large jurisdictions, public health mandates on gatherings have changed – and in some places swung back and forth in response to the changing rates of COVID cases – as have regulations on bars, clubs and pubs. Some have chosen to take bar and club behavior to homes, sometimes rented through our platform. We think such conduct is incredibly irresponsible – we do not want that type of business, and anyone engaged in or allowing that behavior does not belong on our platform.