Texas High School Football - what will happen this Fall?

msucolt45

4 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

If they move football to the spring, a lot of track and basketball teams especially at smaller schools will not be able to field rosters. 

One “small” reason is that the smaller the school (enrollment), the greater potential of having a majority of the athletes being multiple-sport athletes.

The thought is to move track / baseball (lend themselves to social distancing much more than football) to Fall when school starts, leave basketball where it is and move football / volleyball to late Feb - May window.

Edited by orange dream

2 minutes ago, orange dream said:

The thought is to move track / baseball (lend themselves to social distancing much more than football) to Fall when school starts, leave basketball where it is and move football / volleyball to late Feb - May window.

I wonder if coaches are legit worried the top draft picks will be like NAH and sit out to prepare for the draft.  I mean, Lawrence isn't going to be knocked down from #1 because he didn't play a spring season. 

1 minute ago, orange dream said:

becauseiwasinverted.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Not sure if you were planning to post that in the college football thread because of the "draft" comment but the principle applies either way.  The number of colleges / high schools with the kinds of players who would lay off an entire season to prepare for a draft / or to save themselves for college is pretty small and even at those schools it is 1 or 2 players per school at most.  If the coach is that hung up on the whims of a player or two he better hope an unexpected injury never pops up.

So we're going to hold off for large schools which are more likely to play in a limited geographic area urban district, and let small schools which travel upward of 100 miles to small widely distributed communities with limited rural hospital facilities play?

BRILLIANT.

Just delay the whole thing.

Signed, disconcerted parent of a 4A offensive lineman.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

It’s very “fluid” at this point. This is coming from a Football referee, that would like everything back to “normal”, but I understand your concerns.
Spring HS football might end up being best for all, but imagine today’s incoming Senior Class of athletes and just say “Sorry -oh, my bad”!

That’s a tough picture to imagine - IMO.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Nolacycling said:

Ben Bolt, a tiny school district near Corpus canceled football and volleyball. It has begun.

Fuck that. One school with 200 kids out of 1200 or however many high schools. Rumors of financial problems there.. Volleyball games started yesterday. Small schools start scrimmages this week..

Outlier.

Edited by Dennis Taylor

My son's scrimmage was canceled this week because it was supposed to have 6 teams there.  They had a game scheduled for September 18 that's been canceled already because it was against a TAPPS school.  Everything else is running on schedule so far.

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, txhorns said:

My son's scrimmage was canceled this week because it was supposed to have 6 teams there.  They had a game scheduled for September 18 that's been canceled already because it was against a TAPPS school.  Everything else is running on schedule so far.

Is that 3 schools each with varsity and sub- varsity? I've never heard of a 6 team scrimmage

7 hours ago, Fletch said:

Fucking sucks. I mother fucking love high school football. Just beyond pissed we most likely aren’t getting either this fall 

I think you will still see 1A-3A go... in my county, Milam, we have 23 active cases for the whole county, with 5 hospitalized.  Granted, different story in the 4A-6A group.  But if UIL killshots all classes, ya, it will fucking suck.

6 minutes ago, The_highest_of_fives said:

I think you will still see 1A-3A go... in my county, Milam, we have 23 active cases for the whole county, with 5 hospitalized.  Granted, different story in the 4A-6A group.  But if UIL killshots all classes, ya, it will fucking suck.

That’s just straight up dangerous and irresponsible. Those kids shouldn’t be playing. Good fuck what is wrong with this fucking country?!??

3 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

You’re being more than a little dramatic. 

Um, not really. High school kids shouldn’t have to risk this terrible virus. It sucks for the kids but fuck. What’re you gonna think when a couple fat fucks catch this and die cause they played high school football?

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

Um, not really. High school kids shouldn’t have to risk this terrible virus. It sucks for the kids but fuck. What’re you gonna think when a couple fat fucks catch this and die cause they played high school football?

Kids die playing HS football every single year.

I know quite a number of HS players. I don’t know a single one who is afraid. Their schools have protocols in place and they can pull the plug if they need to.

It’s not sneaking up on anyone. Don’t get the vapors. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I feel ya, idk the statistics but I’d assume the average high school athlete deaths per year aren’t going to be a good indicator for this. A few fat fucks die then they spread it to other teams then coaching staffs and parents and other students. Just not worth it, imo. 

46 minutes ago, Fletch said:

I feel ya, idk the statistics but I’d assume the average high school athlete deaths per year aren’t going to be a good indicator for this. A few fat fucks die then they spread it to other teams then coaching staffs and parents and other students. Just not worth it, imo. 

At some point, life goes on. Everyone cannot hide in their basements forever. The risk to HS students is extremely low, and every school in America has been working hard on their protocol for months.

I believe something like .5% of all deaths from covid have been people under 25. People with greater risk need to protect themselves. 

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, Fletch said:

If we didn’t have you to worry about the “fat fucks” whatever would we do?  You are so noble and caring Fletch.  Thanks for teaching us all!!!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

12 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Dude. Y’all are apparently chill with putting high schoolers in a highly dangerous situation. But then again, they’re probably safer from covid than they are a school shooter. So fuck it! Let’s play!!!!

Again with the dramatics. This kills virtually zero school-aged kids.

I’ve worked In the office every single work day since this started. I have yet to get sick or get anyone else sick. I also haven’t hidden from my shadow. We’re going to make it. 

Edited by Tex Pete
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1

8 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

At some point, life goes on. Everyone cannot hide in their basements forever. The risk to HS students is extremely low, and every school in America has been working hard on their protocol for months.

I believe something like .5% of all deaths from covid have been people under 25. People with greater risk need to protect themselves. 

I don't even have a basement. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/21/2020 at 2:24 PM, orange dream said:

Doing what they can to make things work makes sense.

As a student, football always made back-to-school awesome.  If we had just come back to track or offseason workouts, that would have been demoralizing as hell, if it were the norm.

That being said, the weather might be a shit-ton better for the players in the east/ SETX.   Might be some colder than hell Week1 games in the Panhandle.

I do truly hope the players get to play their seasons, especially the Seniors.

4 hours ago, Fletch said:

Kids have been at home dude. Wait till school opens up. Cases will fly back up. Stick to football analysis. This epidemiology thing isn’t for you...

Kids haven’t been at school. Millions of them have not been at home. 

Yes, cases will rise. Millions of kids will not die. 

13 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Kids haven’t been at school. Millions of them have not been at home. 

Yes, cases will rise. Millions of kids will not die. 

That’s a mighty low bar you just set there friend.

I know your number is hyperbole, but if a kid dies, staff dies, a concession worker dies, if a parent dies, or anyone dies from the virus due to playing A GAME then it was not worth it.

This does not even take into account the life long impact that this virus can cause.

Football is a game.

Remember that.

Edited by Dnaguy

5 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

I know it’s hyperbole, but if a kid dies, staff dies, a concession worker dies, if a parent dies, or anyone dies from the virus due to playing A GAME then it was not worth it.

CTE says hi.

My kids have been practicing/working out in a fairly large group since March (wrestling).  They have also traveled to 3 out of state tournaments with 100's of kids and 1000's of spectators.  zero deaths and zero + tests as a result.  We are a large 6A school and today is the 2nd day, in person, that they have been back in school  They said in their classes there was an average of 2 kids "virtual", the rest were in class.  

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

anyone dies from the virus due to playing A GAME then it was not worth it.

This does not even take into account the life long impact that this virus can cause.

Football is a game.

Remember that.

Same as it ever was. The game is football. People have always died playing it. 

Remember that. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1