Texas High School Football - what will happen this Fall?

msucolt45

I officiated a game last night in far West of San Antonio. Small town HS football, but it was a great game. Home team won by two, but the Visitors had their chances at the end to win. Less than two min and the visitors came up short, on 4th down at the one!

COVID protocols were adhered by both sides and I saw “masks” in the bleachers. Masks/coverings galore on the sidelines.
Small, but great atmosphere for HS ball!

Best of luck to the rest of their seasons!

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/5/2020 at 1:53 PM, Tex Pete said:

Some teams have already played two games, 5A and 6A schools start “real practice” this week. I’ve been to one game and fans were distanced, some wearing masks. Players and coaches on the sidelines were masked. Didn’t notice any issues. 

What was the thought process on the big schools delaying their start?

Good luck tonight to all players, coaching staff, supporting cast, parents, and fans! I hope everything goes well for all involved.

My game to officiate is actually tomorrow night, during the Horns first game, so DVR is my friend! Thanks that it’s only UTEP, but in the Mack Era, he’d be scared to death!

On 9/12/2020 at 8:17 AM, Boogaloo said:

Coach Briles and Mt Vernon off to a 3-0 start. 

Despite the pandemic putting major restrictions on in person crowds, apparently a contingent of Briles devoted fans made the trip from Baylor to Mt Vernon to support Art with signs and banners in the parking lot. 

a8cd619bfbdfc1b0e16bedc1f7aae1d8.gif

• Haha 1

My daughter is a freshman at HP. She texted me this morning that she heard there were 18 positive cases with the football team (six coaches). All varsity FB players (and siblings) were told to stay home while they contact trace. The scrimmage with Trinity for tonight was cancelled. Then we got email from principal that the first two FB games were now off, which includes Westlake. The email mentions 13 cases and said it stems from a party this past weekend. I don’t feel so bad for the kids anymore.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I would have thought City of Austin would have cancelled that game given the flareups around here, but it was actually out of an abundance of caution by the City of Dallas.  

The travel was gonna be a massive issue anyway.

Westlake-Scrimmage.jpg

Uh, yeah, there's going to be HS football this fall. Is there anything more beautiful than September night under the lights? Here's my view of the annual Cedar Park/Westlake scrimmage. Cedar Park has an outstanding program and it's always a good measure for both programs. Our Chaps look stout on the D-line and with our junior QB already fielding offers from programs like Auburn, the passing game is reloaded. Good luck to all the HS programs and here's to hoping we get a season to remember. 

Last night was my fifth week of officiating 4A and below. All went well at my game and was very competitive. Some 5As and up played their first game yesterday. Hopefully all went well for them. It’s good to get back to more of a “normal” Fall, with HS football being played throughout the state now.

Most of the big schools have sub-varsity games starting this next week too, so that’s a positive. Some cooler weather will be appreciated by all involved.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Completed my seventh HS game tonight. It was a little bit warmer in the SA area than we’d wished, but it was a great night for HS Football.

My game really wasn’t close on the scoreboard, but the losing team fought until the end and was really coached well. They were just out “manned”.

One-School towns are the best in Texas, on Friday nights, in the Fall.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Last night was the first “cool” night of football in the Hill Country. It was a great night of TX HS Football and the front that blew through yesterday was very much appreciated!

My game had the home team hosting on their Homecoming and it was well attended and festive. Great atmosphere for one-School town football.

Home team lost, but it was a great game and enthusiastically played on both sides! Best of luck for the remainder of both teams’ seasons. Thank you for the cooler weather!

The game I officiated last night was a “Senior Night” for the home team and also had playoffs positioning in place. Home team won “convincingly” and it was nice to be below 70 degrees prior to KO!

Both teams played enthusiastically and it was a great small-town game in the Hill Country. 4As and below start their playoffs soon. Best of luck to all involved!

It’s been a great season so far! Last night my crew traveled South of the San Antonio area for a game that would propel the winner into the District Championship title.

It was a little “warmer” than we’d expect into November, but it was a great atmosphere for Texas HS football. The visitors won the game, and District title, but it was a well-fought game until the end!

4As and below start the “playoff season” next week! Best of luck to all involved. A little cooler weather would be appreciated prior to next Friday!

On to the playoffs - nothing better than Texas HS Football!

“We’re talking about playoffs”! One of the best quotes in sports.

Last night was the first week of TX HS playoffs for the 4A and below. Some played on Thursday, but my game was last night. It was a humid and “warm” November night and my crew traveled to the Corpus area for our game. The coastal breeze left around kick off and I sweated my butt off for a November game!

Great action and enthusiasm by both teams! Well played and it was a pretty “clean” game as officiating goes. The “visitors” won my game and were the “better” team, as you find early on into the playoffs.

Best of luck to all involved as we begin our “second season” of TX HS Football!

• Hook 'Em 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...