What Did You Think Was Indicators of Wealth When Growing Up?

Vic Mackey

Air conditioning

But things aint so bad
Cause I got a Galaxy 500
Galaxy 500 in a Galaxy 500
Galaxy 500
I'm in my own galaxy 1973
In my own galaxy
You probably would have wanted this too
But it's not air conditioned
No it's not air conditioned
It's not air conditioned
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Hawndoh said:

Elementary school years in the 80s, middle/HS years in the 90s.

In the 80s, the rich kids had the GI Joe Aircraft Carrier, cable TV, and both a Nintendo AND a Sega. Also a backyard swimming pool was much less common.

In the 90s, it was having a SNES, N64, playstation and game boy color. 

Those kids were so rich. 

Pool

Video camera

Laser disc player

Had no idea what a country club even was til i got to UT. A friend found out his dad (a Dr) was a member of one that reciprocated with one in Austin.  We drank like fishes and didn't pay a dime until his dad got wise to it about a month later and that came to a screeching halt

1 minute ago, Bullneck said:

A brick house.

Power windows in the car.

Car A/C that worked reliably.

Not just a landline in the bedroom (versus the wall phone in the kitchen), but a separate line with a different phone number.

Separate phone number was a baller move. With call waiting especially...who is old enough to remember the ' cli-click-whoo' sound of the fascinating technology of another call coming in?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Wall-to-wall carpet. We kinda had that, but it was because my dad painstakingly glued together discarded carpet samples collected from carpet stores to create a patchwork that covered the whole living room.

Come think if it, that was at our lake home. Let me sleep on this one, and I’ll get back to y’all. 

We used to go on car trips for vacations, often times across the country. That’s more than a lot of my friends got to do. But, my dad would drive all around town at the end of each day looking for vacancy signs. Then, he would try to negotiate rates. Sometimes he would sent me in to get a rate, then he’d come back after he had some other rates from competing motels. We did this all up and down Vegas Strip in 1972. That one is seared in my memory. I still worshipped my dad somewhat as an 11-year old, so I thought it was kinda cool. I always wondered what it would be like to have one of those fancy AAA memberships and use a travel agent for something they called “reservations.”

• Like 4

8 hours ago, HouTex said:

eating out more than 2x a month

I asked my wife because I knew they didn’t get to eat out much. She said they ate out less than 10 times a year when she was a kid. My family at least doubled that. Some of my kids’ millennial friends average 10 times a week.

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

Kryptonics skateboard wheels on Bennett Pro trucks all on a Sims Taperkick skateboard.  And a half-pipe in your driveway that your dad built.  Not the crappy ramp my brother and I built out of a patchwork of pieces of plywood and 2x4’s. 

• Like 3

For me, the oilfield in the 1980's exemplified it. Rolex Presidente watches all around, expensive cigars, nice 4x4s, classic and exotic cars, Harleys, 300X beaver cowboy hats, $1500 cowboy boots. One guy I knew had a $30k diamond collar for his poodle, and a diamond ring with a high quality diamond that was as big as a dime. If he was late to a meeting, everybody got worried. This was all at under $30/barrel oil. It was insane.

As you can imagine, that wealth was lost as quickly as it was gained. I learned a valuable lesson.

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF
Leason
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1