What Did You Think Was Indicators of Wealth When Growing Up?

Vic Mackey

• 2 weeks later...

Going back to when I was a kid (late 60's - early 70's)... having a car phone. Back then they were more like ship-to-shore than phone and they were rare. The only one I ever saw in person belonged to Fritz Von Erich. Looked just like the one Frank Cannon had. I was muy f'n impressed when I saw it. (Bridgeport played Lake Dallas)

AGnUL-1502380083-9326-list_items-carphon

If your parents drove a Mercedes, I thought you were rich.

Nowadays, you have poor people driving around in old models of Mercedes (which are super cheap), to fill that hole in their soul of growing up thinking a Mercedes meant they were rich and valuable and worthwhile as a human being, and I feel that.

Edited by Rougarou

^

Yep.  Where I grew up, there weren't any.  But just a couple of neighborhoods over, there were these S/SL/SD-class Benz's and my mom would just roll her eyes at "who would spend $50k on a car?" (this was what they cost 35 years ago).  then a couple of years later, I find out you could buy one of those new 190E sedans for less than we paid for our Oldsmobile.  It was literally one of my first lessons in brand marketing.  Just because something is a "Mercedes-Benz" or "Lexus", doesn't make it uber expensive.  They have entry level products just like any other premium brand that gets to carry the logo and buying experience, but actually comes in less expensive than many market-level brands with everyday logos and ho-hum  buying experiences.  

I remember going into Marshall's or TJ Maxx as a junior high kid to get a couple of new Polo shirts for school as a big treat.  Digging through them to find the right size and one that might be on clearance.  So I could have a couple of fancy shirts for the year.  Then I get older and find out if you're shopping for a Polo shirt at a nice department store like Marshall Field's or Carson's, there's a nice layout to the RL section and someone will go find your sizes for you and hold them while you shop.  Same shirt, just more expensive.  Anyway, to this day...buying clothes at full price is still something I reserve for wealthy people or special occasions.  

Mrs. CHIEF's mother came from a wealthy German family that owned a 1500 acre ranch between Wimberly and Blanco, they had a gardener and maid, her grandmother was pretentious and just plain mean. Her grandfather was one of the sweetest guys, and was the only one of the two that loved my FIL. Every time the grandparents would come to town Mrs. CHIEF got excited, as it meant they were going to get to go to Red Lobster and she got to order what she wanted.

She grew up in a 1400 sq/ft, 4 bedroom home in Cedar Park. Both parents worked for the state. They only ate out about twice a year and up until high school, her mother still ordered for her. BUT she said she always felt rich every Saturday, after they cleaned the house for at least 8 hours, her Mom would fry up round steak, onions, and potatoes in butter in her skillet, then, they would go sit down in front of the TV to watch Hee Haw, and The Grand Ol' Opry. You're only rich if you choose to be.

The best thing, is it made her very frugal. Early in our marriage, she could take our finances and make chicken shit into chicken salad.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5

On 7/3/2020 at 12:23 AM, mulletpelini said:

Please tell me you have pictures of that.

Dad was good about that, we went skiing a lot.  Didn't hurt that Colorado was only 8 hours away and we had friends in high places that let us use their "ski" cabins.  He didn't take us out to dinner, but that money went to lift tickets and gas.  He also worked a couple extra jobs during the year to pay for our vacations.

I hated those fucking dudes.

what/whose planet are you from?  Every piece of football gear I ever had was provided by sponsor/school.  I made my own arm covers by cutting the ends out of socks and rolling them up to my shoulder pads.

That's what I was going to say.  School furnished ours and those hot heavy things sucked. Heavy duty material designed to last years because after the varsity used them for 10 years or so they were passed down to the JV, and then the freshmen, and so on and so on.  I know that in Jr high we were wearing uniforms that were right at 30 years old or more.

Edited by SHOOTER12

44 minutes ago, JSB said:

Might have been mentioned, but all of the above and,

spacer.png

A neighbor growing up had a company that installed intercoms and central vacuum systems.  I worked for him in high school and college and installed a whole bunch of these Nutone systems in houses that I would have called rich.

I recall in elementary school thinking if you could eat out and have shrimp that you were rich. My 4th grade teacher said at beginning of the year if you had perfect attendance she would take you out to a restaurant for dinner. I remember pulling her aside after the offer and clarifying, “you mean even red lobster?”  At the end of the year there was no mention of the offer. Either I didn’t have perfect attendance or she’s a liar!

When Red Lobster has those shrimp fest commercials I always remember back to that teacher. 

i also remember shrimp as being like a special event if my mom would get like 5 precooked shrimp from the seafood deli.  What a luxury!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, 4thgenhorn said:

I recall in elementary school thinking if you could eat out and have shrimp that you were rich. My 4th grade teacher said at beginning of the year if you had perfect attendance she would take you out to a restaurant for dinner. I remember pulling her aside after the offer and clarifying, “you mean even red lobster?”  At the end of the year there was no mention of the offer. Either I didn’t have perfect attendance or she’s a liar!

When Red Lobster has those shrimp fest commercials I always remember back to that teacher. 

i also remember shrimp as being like a special event if my mom would get like 5 precooked shrimp from the seafood deli.  What a luxury!

Obviously, the teacher didn’t think you were special enough to get her seafood dinner. 

• Haha 2

Damn, a lot of these things we had - pool, Nintendo, cloths, etc. We were pretty middle class I think. I also found out when I got older that my parents are terrible with money and lived a lot of their life in debt. I believe things are fine now, but I never know what I can trust with them.

I always thought a satellite dish was a big deal. Also, driving a Caddy. Golfers also came across as rich because they were members of the country clubs.

Damn, a lot of these things we had - pool, Nintendo, cloths, etc. We were pretty middle class I think. I also found out when I got older that my parents are terrible with money and lived a lot of their life in debt. I believe things are fine now, but I never know what I can trust with them.

I always thought a satellite dish was a big deal. Also, driving a Caddy. Golfers also came across as rich because they were members of the country clubs.
It's amazing how some people, usually Boomers, are completely fine with being in debt up to their eyeballs. I'll never understand it.

9 hours ago, markstanco said:

My man.

Best college sandwich was 2 pieces of toast, mustard and Tabasco. Goes cheap and hard in the paint.

'Have you ever heard of a wish sandwich? A wish sandwich is the kind of a
sandwich where you have two slices of bread and you, hee hee hee, wish you
had some meat...
Bow bow bow...'
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

We didn't have a house without wheels on it until I was in 4th grade (dad was a doodlebugger, we moved a shitload as a kid), and I had lived in half-a-dozen states by then.

Anyways, G I Joe was huge during my elementary/Jr high years, and this was what rich was to me:

spacer.png

That kid has at least 4 DUI's by now

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

We didn't have a house without wheels on it until I was in 4th grade (dad was a doodlebugger, we moved a shitload as a kid), and I had lived in half-a-dozen states by then.

Anyways, G I Joe was huge during my elementary/Jr high years, and this was what rich was to me:

spacer.png

The GI Joe aircraft carrier was the pinnacle of toys. I didn’t even get the F-16 jet, let alone the carrier. 

I only saw one carrier as a kid and my jaw hit the floor. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

spacer.png

While I am in absolute awe of that collection.  The only thing of all that stuff I ever got was the HAVOC vehicle (top right).  And I think maybe the old school tank on the bottom, and that was over the course of all of elementary school...not just one birthday like this little shit.  

But one thing I am thankful for is while we weren't spoiled with gifts growing up, we had a loving mom who would never have decided to put a remaindered patio table stolen from the pool deck at a Howard Johnson Inn anywhere around the home.  Money can't buy taste continues to be one of the most timeless pieces of advice my grandfather ever gave me.  

Edited by Lobo

6 hours ago, markstanco said:
7 hours ago, Rimbo said:
whether you had the 8-crayon, 16-crayon or 64-crayon pack

Built in sharpener. Let's not forget that on the 64 crayon box.

that sharpener was the shit in kindergarten, man

5 hours ago, 4thgenhorn said:

The GI Joe aircraft carrier was the pinnacle of toys. I didn’t even get the F-16 jet, let alone the carrier. 
I only saw one carrier as a kid and my jaw hit the floor. 

I didn't meet somebody who had one until high school, and I saw part of it in his attic when we were digging out some of his dad's records.  I made him get it down and assemble the fucking thing.  Even being a high school kid at that point, I was like "damn".  That's all I could say.

4 hours ago, Lobo said:

While I am in absolute awe of that collection.  The only thing of all that stuff I ever got was the HAVOC vehicle (top right).  And I think maybe the old school tank on the bottom, and that was over the course of all of elementary school...not just one birthday like this little shit.   

They are bringing back the 1980s G I Joes, all 3.75 inches of them, in Walmart this October.  Right now, you can get 6-inch G I Joe figures at various stores, and they look somewhat like the Joes we knew and loved, but they are doing a "retro" line at Walmart - https://news.hisstank.com/2020/07/17/g-i-joe-retro-line-walmart-exclusive-line-official-hasbro-images-69551

My kid has my collection, and we've already bought 3D-printed and original replacement parts for some of the broken stuff, I've replaced all the O-rings in the figures (the part that keeps the legs from being wonky).

And he has his eye on the carrier.  But they run $1,500 plus on eBay, plus God knows how much on shipping.   So that ain't happening.  But I am considering building one myself.  A friend and I have kicked around what it would take to 3D-print certain parts (he has access to a carrier), and build the rest out of wood.

As a kid, I measured wealth in G I Joe and Star Wars figures and playlets.  And wristwatches that could play video games.

Edited by atomheartbevo

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

As a kid, I measured wealth in G I Joe and Star Wars figures and playlets.  And wristwatches that could play video games.

I had only Star Wars, I figured out early on that there was no way my folks were going to allow two collections.  Folks kicked in for about half the SW collection, mostly figures and a few small vehicles for birthdays and christmas over 6 years I was able to collect all 64? figures.  Only way I was able to get the AT-AT and MF and bigger shit like that was through mowing lawns and umping girls softball.  I actually found one of these a few years back and got it for $40

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.8c506c47b2d830026d2b797999c636b4.jpg

I didn't remember ever seeing one when I was a kid but I knew it was worth way more than $40, as it was in great condition.  Listed it on eBay for $500 and it was in my sons room for a couple years before it sold for around $450 shipped.  Was kinda sad to see it go.

I don't know what it sold for in '83, but THIS would have been a sign of wealth to me then.

that sharpener was the shit in kindergarten, man
Crayola strategy for the rich kids who could afford the 64 and 128 box:

Let's put a sharpener on the box. Not to sharpen the crayons, but because Jimmy will sharpen it until its gone just to get the crayon flakes.
  • Haha 1

On 7/22/2020 at 12:34 PM, JSB said:

Might have been mentioned, but all of the above and,

spacer.png

Yep...had that in a house we lived in. The main unit in the living room had an AM/FM receiver that would play to the rest of the rooms (if you wished to turn them on) with pretty decent sound. My Dad cut an extra hole and wired in a Pioneer car cassette deck so we could have more options for tunes. 

Good times. 

• Like 1

On 7/15/2020 at 2:30 PM, Lobo said:

I remember going into Marshall's or TJ Maxx as a junior high kid to get a couple of new Polo shirts for school as a big treat.  Digging through them to find the right size and one that might be on clearance.  So I could have a couple of fancy shirts for the year.

I remember doing that at Solo Serve on N San Pedro Ave in SA. Marshall’s and TJ Maxx were for rich people. I found a RL Polo a couple of times. 

11 hours ago, After irth said:

Yep...had that in a house we lived in. The main unit in the living room had an AM/FM receiver that would play to the rest of the rooms (if you wished to turn them on) with pretty decent sound. My Dad cut an extra hole and wired in a Pioneer car cassette deck so we could have more options for tunes. 

Good times. 

After irth is Jeff Spicoli?

• Haha 1

Levi’s. We wore sears brand garbage, I have no idea what they were made of. I tried to bleach them to fade them like real jeans. Didn’t do shit. I always thought, someday when I’m rich I’ll have some real Levi’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Pokoloco said:

Levi’s. We wore sears brand garbage, I have no idea what they were made of. I tried to bleach them to fade them like real jeans. Didn’t do shit. I always thought, someday when I’m rich I’ll have some real Levi’s.

They weren't called Toughskins for nothing.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Pokoloco said:

I feel you man. I used to wear Arizona Jeans from JCPenney while my classmates were rolling up in Girbaud's. 

We wore Lee jeans, and once in awhile got a pair of Levi's as a back-to-school shopping treat.  Maybe one pair every other year.  You'd see the kids in the Gap Jeans or Eddie Bauer or CK Jeans and think, "Wow, maybe someday..."  

They called them Toughskins because Sears decided Toughshitkids was just too cruel at their marketing meetings.  

In my 20's, I kinda felt like brand name clothing wasn't really important anymore.  Just have a couple of decent suits for work and that was that.  Then I got into my 30's, and now 40's...and I realized. "Oh shit, it's still important for these douchebags to have cool logos on their clothes.  Does this bullshit ever end?"  It seems to once you get to your 60's but I don't have that kinda patience.  When I'm 60, I'm giving up again on clothing and buying a G.I. Joe Aircraft Carrier and I don't care about the price.