Nah...I can make it without college.

Iceman

edgardallanpoe_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bqeo_i_u9

On July 1, 1830, Edgar Allan Poe entered West Point as a new cadet with the Class of 1834, after having served in the Army for two years. But he was dismissed from the Academy less than a year later in February of 1831 for "neglecting his duties."

Legend has it that Poe was dismissed from West Point after he appeared at a parade drill on the Plain out of uniform--in fact without any clothing at all! He was reportedly only wearing white ammunition belts across his chest and a hat. But the more likely truth may be that he just stopped attending classes and training.

Poe published his third book of verse, "Poems," in 1831, dedicated to his fellow West Point cadets & funded by their subscription. After Poe left West Point, he continued to write, becoming known for his poems and short stories such as “The Cask of Amontillado,” and “The Tell-Tale Heart," now considered classics of American literature.

I got to meet Poe's great nephew who also attended West Point and graduated in 2017.  He was  a WR for Black Knight football team, which if you know the offense is akin to being that extra card you get in a new deck of cards.  He did have 6 TDs in the 2015 season. Life's twists and turns with whom you meet and how paths are interwoven are so amazing, and IMHO, interesting.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, miguelito said:

I got to see Edgar Poe on the field when I went to West Point in 2015.  Army vs Bucknell.  The game sucked, but it is one of my favorite game day experiences ever.

Keep telling myself to drive down there for a game and haven't yet.  If there's a season this year, OU is playing in WP and might be worth the effort to go and watch it if tickets aren't too outrageous. 

6 hours ago, Underdog said:

Keep telling myself to drive down there for a game and haven't yet.  If there's a season this year, OU is playing in WP and might be worth the effort to go and watch it if tickets aren't too outrageous. 

Gameday is a little chaotic, as the campus damned sure isn't designed for that.  Get there early or if it is a noon game, plan on staying afterwords.  The campus is beautiful, but the content of the history on virtually every corner is pretty overwhelming, IMHO.  You will not regret the trip.   

There are hidden treasures all over the damned place, beyond the obvious statues, Trophy Point, the cathedral, Beat navy Tunnel, etc.   At the entrances to the barracks, there are arched walkways with  keystones commemorating different battles and such.  My favorite is a lightning bolt destroying a swastika.  I could( and did) walk around looking at that shit all day.

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 1

x

12 hours ago, Parliament said:

EAP is my fave, with the Mask of the Red Death as his best story. Netflix needs to do an anthology series of his stories.

There are some poems and short stories that resonate with me and will stay with my for life.  Though I've only read the more memorable poems of his, they are pure greatness.  I'd be interested in learning more about his personal life.  Or maybe not - bunch of great authors/poets and even mathematicians that went through great suffering.

On 7/1/2020 at 7:18 AM, Parliament said:

EAP is my fave, with the Mask of the Red Death as his best story. Netflix needs to do an anthology series of his stories.

The Masque of the Red Death is second only to The Black Cat.

For the most wild, yet most homely narrative which I am about to pen, I neither expect nor solicit belief.

On 7/1/2020 at 5:12 PM, Iceman said:

Gameday is a little chaotic, as the campus damned sure isn't designed for that.  Get there early or if it is a noon game, plan on staying afterwords.  The campus is beautiful, but the content of the history on virtually every corner is pretty overwhelming, IMHO.  You will not regret the trip.   

There are hidden treasures all over the damned place, beyond the obvious statues, Trophy Point, the cathedral, Beat navy Tunnel, etc.   At the entrances to the barracks, there are arched walkways with  keystones commemorating different battles and such.  My favorite is a lightning bolt destroying a swastika.  I could( and did) walk around looking at that shit all day.

I can't +1 this any harder. My godfather is a WP grad. My wife and I joined he and his wife for a game many years ago. Got to see a tattoo, which blew my fucking mind. I've seen several in my time, at various parades, some boy scout stuff at Mabry, etc. These guys were next fucking level. Tailgated with the nicest random people ever (eat shit Nebraska, you ain't got nothing on West Point). Saw not nearly enough of the history, but the history of that place, the people that have walked those grounds and sat in those buildings will humble you right quick. The river overlook and strategic defensible positions were fascinating to me - still remnants of the big chains they used to block the river during invasions (i.e. the goddamned American Revolution). Plus it's stunningly beautiful country. If you get a chance, you HAVE to go.

On 7/1/2020 at 5:12 PM, Iceman said:

I have bad memories of Hudson High.

While my family was visiting friends there in 1950 I was stung on my neck, back, & head by 17 hornets.