Taking a shot of different liquors: fun topic

markstanco

I'm in my late 40s so not as many shots anymore. Beer and wine are my goto drinks.

Question of the day is what you would take and which one would make you immediately hurl. And i am talking a straight shot, not tequila with a salt rim and lime chaser or similar.

Me: I can still to this day deal with tequila as long as it isn't the shit on the bottom shelf in a plastic bottle. Cabo Wabo and above. I can slam it or sip on it.

Whiskey: jack black. I don't like it neat, over rocks with a splash of cola is preferred but I can sip it neat.

Vodka: feed me vodka neat and you will see it a second time along with what I ate 3 hours ago. But I do like vodka with carbonated grape juice for a fine summer drink.

I can't think of anything that will make me hurl immediately, except maybe Everclear. Never shot it though. I too, have outgrown shots. We still have a couple of couples our age that still does them. They are only good to hang out generally for one day a weekend. Then, they are so hungover you don't see them till Wednesday.

CHIEF

I have pictures of myself taken during the 80s that I didn’t even knew took place, until they were developed a couple days later. Some involved some female MPs while stationed in Germany, so we’ll leave it at that! Coming from Texas, I had the boots, hat, and belt buckle that was envious to “some”.

1 hour ago, msucolt45 said:

I have pictures of myself taken during the 80s that I didn’t even knew took place, until they were developed a couple days later. Some involved some female MPs while stationed in Germany, so we’ll leave it at that! Coming from Texas, I had the boots, hat, and belt buckle that was envious to “some”.

fe19d5c9e38037903462b0f0cd884021.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Guest Lobo

Vodka and Carbonated Grape Juice?  WTF?  I threw up in my mouth a little just reading that.  

I can't drink tequila anymore.  I can have 1, maybe 2 if they're made really well, margaritas on the rocks.  I can't drink rum or gin period.  

I'm a little snootier when it comes to bourbon than vodka.  It's gotta be better than good.  I'll go splash of water or splash of ice depending on the weather.  With vodka, almost any brand will do.  Tito's in a luxury "high-end" brand, in my opinion, when it comes to vodka. And I just like topo chico or similar water with a bit of lime.  But yeah, no shots for me.  I have a high tolerance, but it just burns on the way down, getting too old for this shit.  My eldest half-sister is 52 tomorrow and still drinks shots when we go out to eat.  Maybe it's a Chicago thing, but some of her friends still do it, too.  Weird Italian liquers and shit.  I dunno.  

I would likely throw up if I took a shot of any kind of flavored liquor like that cinnammon fire shit, jager, most tequila, and probably any rum or gin.  

probably blasphemy here, but Tito's isn't good.  

It would have been a fantastic investment, and it's success is enviable to almost anyone.  But it's a pretty meh vodka.  Particularly at that price point.  Pay a bit more and get something much, much better.  There are vodkas that are just as good or better for less money. 

I had my tequila incident in 1984 and got so sick, I threw up bile. I couldn't drink frozen margaritas for about 2 years which sucked because HH Jorge's margaritas with Everclear were $2 and the Daiquiris were $3 and not very strong but that is what I had to drink. I miss Jorge's Uptown Enchilada bar. It wasn't good food but frozen Margaritas with Everclear were the bomb. Fuck you, dram shop laws! 

1 hour ago, burntorangebongos said:

I had my tequila incident in 1984 and got so sick, I threw up bile. I couldn't drink frozen margaritas for about 2 years which sucked because HH Jorge's margaritas with Everclear were $2 and the Daiquiris were $3 and not very strong but that is what I had to drink. I miss Jorge's Uptown Enchilada bar. It wasn't good food but frozen Margaritas with Everclear were the bomb. Fuck you, dram shop laws! 

I think we were at Jorges the same night.  Actually quite likely were. 

Edited by CycleTex87

No, it was a dorm room incident. I bought a bottle of tequila and someone a few doors down had orange juice and invited me over with the tequila to party and listen to her heavy metal albums. By the end of the time, the drinks I was consuming were  pretty much clear with a slight orange tinge and we killed the bottle. That San Antonio bitch dropped out after freshman year and I couldn't drink frozen Margs at Jorge's for a while.

Edited by burntorangebongos

On 7/1/2020 at 9:04 PM, Doyle Hargreaves said:

Bought some Dubliner to try. Its Irish whiskey and honeycomb liqueur. Been trying all the brands of Irish whiskey I can, plus some small American Rye. 

About 2-3 years ago I retired from shots. 

Wasn't long ago that was about 7 whiskys....and I even brought shit back from Dublin. 

About 10 years ago, I was a US representative to a multinational defense forum with mostly NATO members plus Canada and the Aussies. Every three months or so we would hold meetings hosted in one of the member countries.  It became a tradition that on the final night there would be a big dinner capped off with toasts of the host country’s traditional liquor.  

I will never forget the Jenever the Dutch served us in The Hague.  

I can’t remember anything after the Grappa the Italians gave us.  There’s a four hour gap in my memory from that night.  I remember the pain from the next morning, though.  Never, ever again. 

• Like 1

After an ‘incident’ with a bottle of Hornitos I  couldn’t drink tequila for nearly  a decade. It took 7 years before I could even smell it without wretching. It was another two years before I could drink  a margarita again. Another two years before I could have a shot of it & then only the best ones.  

Rumple & Jager are former favorites shots I’ve had to part ways with because of their frightening mind erasing powers. 

Cant really say I do shots anymore. If I like something enough to order an ounce of neat, I’m sipping it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2020 at 5:46 PM, Marfa Low Crown said:

After an ‘incident’ with a bottle of Hornitos I  couldn’t drink tequila for nearly  a decade. It took 7 years before I could even smell it without wretching. It was another two years before I could drink  a margarita again. Another two years before I could have a shot of it & then only the best ones.  

Rumple & Jager are former favorites shots I’ve had to part ways with because of their frightening mind erasing powers. 

Cant really say I do shots anymore. If I like something enough to order an ounce of neat, I’m sipping it. 

I haven't been able to drink tequila in 20 years, since an "incident" my senior year of high school. The smell of it gives me the mouth sweats. 

Also, I like vodka, but I can hardly tell the difference between any of them. 

On 7/6/2020 at 5:46 PM, Marfa Low Crown said:

After an ‘incident’ with a bottle of Hornitos I  couldn’t drink tequila for nearly  a decade...

4 hours ago, lateshow said:

I haven't been able to drink tequila in 20 years, since an "incident" my senior year of high school. The smell of it gives me the mouth sweats...

Is incident code for sticking the bottle up your ass?  You 2 are doing it wrong.

I was hospitalized at my own bachelor party due to Red Bull and vodka.  I had never had red bull before, and will never have it again after that.  I put away my usual several shots of vodka (but mixed with Red Bull).  Woke up with an appropriately sized hangover but nothing too daunting.  Decided to crap/vomit up the booze and get down to the pool for afternoon hijinks.  Started throwing up that horribly carbonated and acidic shit called Red Bull until I had damn near ripped a hole in my esophagus after an hour of it.  Got a stern warning from the doctor about taking care of my upper GI tract, and an IV, and was back at the resort bar nursing mid-priced white wine as we all should on a bachelor party bender, amirite?  

Seriously, to this day if I so much as smell a red bull being poured at a bar, I dry heave.  I just thought it was like a soda mixer, I had no idea it was like drinking cherry flavored diesel fuel with bubbles.  

On 7/7/2020 at 8:09 AM, boknowstecmo said:

I once played beer pong with Everclear punch instead. Nobody won. Never drank Everclear again. 

Used to play it with a mine where it was all beer except one had a shot of everclear mixed with the beer in it. That will mess a man up. 

11 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Used to play it with a mine where it was all beer except one had a shot of everclear mixed with the beer in it. That will mess a man up. 

Reminds me of the people who play roulette with Pluckers hot wings. Order a bunch of wings on Hot flavor, and one wing on whatever the Nuclear option is. Whoever gets the nuke also has to pay for the wings. 

• Like 1

On 7/4/2020 at 3:10 PM, burntorangebongos said:

No, it was a dorm room incident. I bought a bottle of tequila and someone a few doors down had orange juice and invited me over with the tequila to party and listen to her heavy metal albums. By the end of the time, the drinks I was consuming were  pretty much clear with a slight orange tinge and we killed the bottle. That San Antonio bitch dropped out after freshman year and I couldn't drink frozen Margs at Jorge's for a while.

I had a very similar incident back when I was working at the Drafthouse. Had a friend come over one evening and we killed a bottle of tequila, and I had to be at work at 9am. I kept having to run out the back of the kitchen and was puking bile. I couldn't go anywhere near tequila again for years.

Fascinating thread. Didn’t realize there were others like me who couldn’t take shots for a long time because of one bad incident. I had two in my past: tequila in 1986 and Amoretto in 1982. It took 30 years to handle tequila shots again. I’m still on the no Amoretto bandwagon.

• Like 1

Growing up I hated shots in general, let alone neat strait shots.

then, I went to the islands a little and got turned on to cigars and scotch. Scotch was my gateway. I would sip and chew on it and after a little bit you kinda see what all the fuss is about. 

one of the unforeseen side effects, however, of drinking strait liquor is gaining a hobo’s tolerance for the bite of the alcohol. For a time I could throw down anything. One time I was drinking a vodka/ice and had to ask my friend if my drink had any alcohol in it. 

Hotdamn still can even smell those stuff.  When I was 14 or 15 my parents had a company Christmas party for the store they owned and one of the employees husbands got me to go shot for shot with him.  I wakeup in a puddle of my own vomit the next morning.  

4 hours ago, SDG said:

So many Tequila haters in here.  That’s the only liquor I can shoot.  Im a beer person these days but do enjoy the occasional shot.  

Team tequila as well. Seems like trying to order a round amongst a decent-sized group ends up with half of them saying "I don't shoot tequila anymore (insert traumatic event here)".

Southern Comfort is the only thing I don't mess with. I'll shoot just about anything else. It's not all great but nothing really makes me gag or whatever like some are talking about.

Tequila rules.